Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The game looks gorgeous and I highly doubt the same team that's been making Zelda adventure games is going to completely gently caress up an open world system. Maybe some of the features won't be polished or really that useful past their introductory use (like some of the dungeon items are in past Zeldas) but hopefully this game takes the best of the last few games and adds in the AssCreed standard climbing feature and all the other things open world adventure games have done right in the last ten years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Wyvernil posted:

Maybe there will also be a smithy in towns where you can pay rupees to repair damaged weapons, so you can get more use out of the weapons you find in chests. Or forges that let you fix weapons using ores.

As for the Master Sword, maybe it starts out rusty and weak, but unbreakable. You can then find upgrades that improve it into the ultimate weapon.

It's pretty obvious that at some point you'll get the "unbreakable" items like the Hylian Shield and the Master Sword. Maybe the weapon types feature mean that using the Master Sword won't always be the most effective one and that a club or a spear is a better option.

That of course gets me thinking of every weapon type having a hidden ultimate like a Zora Spear or a Goron Club or a Kokori Bow.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zonekeeper posted:

I like the theory that it's post-flood Hyrule. It helps that WW's Moblins and Koroks are present as well.

If the Kingdom was started/centered on a "high plateau" then that makes perfect sense its post-flood world. It's got to be centuries after the founding of Hyrule and all the Sheikah tech might just be left over from what was in the area before the Kingdom got started.

That or it's a prequel to LTTP. The whole sense of "decline" plays pretty heavily into the OOT fail timeline.

Or the Goddess merged the 3 timelines and this is the "final" game in the Zelda franchise.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 16, 2016

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

greatn posted:

Perfect timing

Put that in the OP immediately.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So just for perspective, a big reason we are getting what looks like a loving amazing game is when the Zelda team brought in newer, younger devs to help them construct a true open world, suddenly all the traditions and "well this is just what we do" started getting examined and the old guard was more then happy to toss something out if it didn't fit?

Now that they have this open world engine and everything I'm desperately hoping there's a Major's Mask-esque sequel planned to come in before 2020.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Disposable items already doesn't sound encouraging. That really annoyed me in Skyward Sword.

They've already said you get much more "robust" items later on in the game, there's no way there isn't a unbreakable sword and shield; either its got decent defense but rare breakable shields are better for certain things or you basically scour the overworld and find the parts to forge the item.

Things like the breakable fire rod, bows, etc. just mean there's a new level of complexity to combat. We're going to see 2-handed swords again and I'm pretty sure everyone loving loved the Biggoron's sword from OOT more then the master sword. There's almost certainly going to be "masterwork" items that break but can be repaired at a shop or something.

Everything in the demo and revealed so far is just the first few hours of what looks like a 100+ hours game if you go deep and explore everything. Cities, towns, villages, other races, etc. we still have no idea about except that they exist.

Given how weapons do the blue light explosion when they break the Sheikah slate probably upgrades to where it can summon a sword/shield/bow for general use.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

youcallthatatwist posted:

This sounds like a terrible idea to me, because it means throwing the game's core mechanics out the window. I hope that at the very least it's not the most powerful weapon in the game, since that would discourage the player from ever switching out.

It's absolutely going to be optional. Given the whole "ignore story" aspect of the game you could probably grab the chipped up sword and just use it as is with it having the same power as a basic club.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

30m day/night cycle on Nintendo's website.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/zelda/movie/top.mp4

6:30 - something huge moving on the mountains??
16:30 - meteorite falls to the ground??

That meteorite must contain metal or ore of some kind the way it lit up like a beacon. That's probably one of the main sources of rare metals/minerals.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

Someone overlaid the map with the one on the gamepad screen from the first gameplay reveal ages ago.

I can't wait to explore the coast! :swoon: I really hope there's a swimming mechanic even close to the one in Majora's Mask.

Looks like every conceivable biome on that map other then tropical.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Well, the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD versions have been pretty good at giving you the option of Hero Mode at the start of the game which removes hearts dropping from grass and the like and you take double damage. A Hero Mode for Breath of the Wild which plays up the survival aspects could be very interesting.

It's almost certain the Zelda theme amiibos will offer some features to the game, maybe other types given how this seems to be a major console title (ex. Zero Suit Samus gives Link a blue bodysuit that resists both heat and cold). Ganondorf is probably going to do the 2x damage mode that can't be turned off, but given how that stone golem did 7 hearts of damage maybe it will be tiered in some way.

The inclusion of foods, armor, breakable weapons/shields etc. means that spawning items 1x per day will have actual use for the purpose of amiibos (like Hyrule Legends) so expect not only the classic amiibos to work but a pricey new line of BotW characters to be launched.

edit: On that note, why are amiibos so loving expensive? $9 for Ganondorf but nearly $40 for Sheik? Is it a restricted supply thing or are the more expensive ones just that useful?

pentyne fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 21, 2016

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So is it worth getting Hyrule Warriors for the Wii U? The differences between the base game and the 3DS Legends version seem like night and day. Is it even fun as a musou game, given that usually 50-75% of the fun in those games is the particular franchise being used.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

frodnonnag posted:

I really hope we get a hookshot or two.

I still preferred the duel clawshots.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

smell this posted:

Skyward Sword was pretty good.

Love it or hate it though
Love it or hate it

Skyward Sword was a obvious mix of a good number of really great concepts and ideas that were then rapidly smashed together to make a somewhat cohesive game without anyone understanding that it was a lot of near identical poo poo that was not fun. Everyone loved the massive as gently caress ocean with tons of interesting diversions in WW, but then when they make a massive as gently caress sky to explore there is less then 1/10 of the same optional content to explore.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

coffeecup posted:

Yo s.i.r.e. here's a blog post that shows the samurai outfit. It may be a little more interpretable in motion though. Video can be found in the link at the start of the article.

Each region might have a distinct "culture" that is reflected in the way the armor and weapons look and their availability.

- Hyrule proper: classic Western knight, plate male, metal angular shields, longswords, short cut hair
- Gerudo: Arabian/Arabic styles, sabers, scimitars, smaller shields, more cloth and less metal armor, long hair and braids
- Snowpeak: Viking influence, Axes, maces, circular shields, mohawks & tattoos
- Coastal area: Asian/Japanese influence, katanas, daggers, top-knot style.

If the world region really is that big then there would likely be great diversity between the regions to avoid the trekking back and forth from looking samey as all hell. If you can go from a wasteland dessert to a snowy mountain peak and cross at least 2 different biomes then hopefully there's a good amount of diversity to the weapons, armor, and consumables to find.

Soul Glo posted:

I kinda hope there aren't towns and instead just a few crazy people living in caves like the first game.

BotW takes place in a Hyrule where Ganon won, right? Let's have that post-apocalyptic Zelda game.

As an aside, I was just watching one of the E3 streams and they specifically mention there are several towns and specific NPC characters to interact with but it's tied into the story of the game so they deliberately chose to omit it for the demo

pentyne fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 8, 2016

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

it's good. I can never tell what part of the zelda game popular opinion cycle it's at. you know the one, it goes from
"it's a letdown and the focal point of the fall of the franchise->actually it's pretty good" with basically no room in between

Almost every 2D zelda is great, except Spirit Tracks. I can't remember why. The 3D Zelda's range from great overall-mostly good-merely okay(lovely bosses, overworlds, etc) and none of them are truly "bad" they just lack the nostalgia or impact that Ocarina/WW had.

Despite internet opinions, Twilight Princess is a good game with some boring parts. The infamous 8/10 gamespot review was pretty on the money but at the time treated like blasphemy.

Skyward Sword had some beautiful set pieces but the whole flying bird was more of a chore then fun way to travel around. The insane sparseness of the overworld was a problem as well. It was still a fun experience but not one I wanted to replay again to 100% the game.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Keiya posted:

One warning, the balance in the Wii U adventure maps is utterly atrocious.

The A rank for the last tier of weapons is loving insane. I'm assuming most people either give up or just use the rupee glitch to max level the characters to make it easier.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

The only disappointing part of Aribter's Grounds is that you don't get to keep the sweet giant cursed sword that powers the giant dragon skull boss. I was heartbroken.

I've always been super disappointed that no alternate weapons ever came back since OOT. The Biggorn's Sword was hands down my absolute favorite and whenever I'd re-play it I'd start the dungeons just enough to get the items so I could immediately go get the sword. BoTW looks like it'll finally give me that experience again, assuming there are "relic" weapons scattered in permanent spots in the over world that never break or at least don't do the flashy shatter and can be repaired for a fee.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Canned Panda posted:

I got an email from Amazon today, and apparently BotW will be out March 31.

I assume that's the WiiU version.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'll be very surprised if the Switch version doesn't come out on the same day as the system.

I'm wondering if the WiiU version is going to be the same (probably) but have framerate and slow down issues when the screen is going explosion crazy, while the Switch hardware will be superior enough to run it smoothly.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

It looks like it's running under 30fps and it's awful to look at. Well, maybe not that low, but it definitely isn't 60.

I am kind of worried about that for the WiiU, especially with how much slowdown and frame-rate issues there are with Hyrule Warriors. The Switch isn't a huge leap up so it's not like they were planning for BoTW to be a Switch exclusive title I'm pretty sure from the start it was going to be a WiiU game that can also run on the Switch.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rexroom posted:

Some interesting snippet from an interview.

Ergo, Breath of the Wild is Twilight Princess 2.

It's looking more like its Wind Waker 2. A massive open world suffering through a past tragedy and having not recovered? They probably finally figured out what design style works for an adult Link/Linkle for high intensity action and motion.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bobjr posted:

I like some of the amiibo.

I'd probably buy all of them except the Guardian, unless it does something crazy cool like summon a mecha-guardian for Link to ride in like MechWarrior.

So, any news of graphical performance for WiiU vs Switch? It can't be that much different.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I wonder how many hours I'll spend in the game just roaming and farming for consumables before even bothering with the next shrine or dungeon. New powerful runes? gently caress that I found a forest glade where I can gather 20+ rare mushrooms and herbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJXpZLLebLg

Side by side comparison looks like the Switch is clearly an upgrade from the WiiU. The WiiU looks like the draw distance is less and and textures are at least 1-2 steps down if comparing to the standard "med-high-ultra" for PC settings. Same frame-rates allegedly so hopefully no crazy slowdown.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 14, 2017

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Augus posted:

I mean, full voice acting kinda ruined Fallout 4 forever

Ruined is an over exaggeration. It was a fun game, but it wasn't much of a "classic" Fallout game like 3 and NV. It really wanted to be a gripping 3rd person action game like Mass Effect plus with a Minecraft building feature.

Whether or not VA ruins a game is usually down to the player perception of being removed from the role as the PC. If Link suddenly had lines of un-voiced text dialogue and could select multiple responses to questions it would probably be controversial as gently caress but nowhere near those lines being voiced.

I've never played a game franchise where the inclusion or lack of VA dialogue suddenly ruined the game for me and I'm amazed at the mentality "Link's never had dialogue it has to stay that way!" when the entire radical development of BoTW stemmed from the new devs being brought in and questioning the far more experienced staff on why things are done X,Y,Z instead of a different way. Once you break out of that mindset of traditional=good you can channel creative energies into something that has the potential to become far better then it could've been if stuck to a stock formula.

Just look back and how in 2001/2 the community flipped the gently caress out at Wind Waker and Cel-da because it was so completely different from what they wanted in a new Zelda game but WW turned out to be arguably the best Zelda. Then flash forward to 2006 when Twilight Princess was hyped to gently caress and back for being exactly what everyone wanted but its not nearly as well regarded.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

People freaking out about the Zelda stuff is funny. Apparently there is a LE of the book that was released a couple years ago up for preorder in some places. So people are going nuts to secure a copy. Of a book that is already released and easy to find. People are dumb as gently caress.

What book?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'm pretty sure there was an interview indicating it's that way, there could be some other healing resources in the game like healing springs or faeries but the days of recovering health via basic landscaping are gone, now it's much more advanced landscaping!

With the game design bottles&fairies aren't nearly as necessary as they used to be when you can just munch down all the food you need to max out your hearts during the pause menu. I get the feeling that tons of the "expected" features of the franchise are being replaced or changed up to have completely different functions. Do we even know if magic is a feature in the game? It looks like the emphasis is on the liquid blue Sheikah Tech for all magic-like abilities but all that's been revealed are the various bomb runes, stasis, magnetic, and ice block runes. There have to be at least 6-7 more especially given that there are 100+ shrine mini-dungeons and I'd expect the puzzles for each to have enough variety that at least a dozen variations are present.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

I think what stands out more is that you run into things like that so early on in the game

Did the developers actually make a reference to Dark Souls and the changing standards of video games or was that my imagination? I feel like someone from Nintendo talked about making Zelda more like those kinds of changes while also referencing the recent great open world games as a explanation for changing up the Zelda formula so much.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mulva posted:

They've talked about it multiple times, and it's literally you can go straight to the end while by-passing everything else.

I'm assuming that in theory the game mechanics allow for a skilled enough player to beat Ganon with 3 hearts and whatever detritus they pick up along the way so long as they are perfectly dodging everything that comes their way everything single time for the slog it takes to whittle down his health. Frame perfect dodging/parrying look like they'd be pretty hard to land every time but it'd be worth it if the final boss can be beat by reflecting laser beams at him with a pot lid.

Supercar Gautier posted:

It doesn't really matter if the Any% speedrun route skips most of the game; if some speedrunners feel dissatisfied that too much is getting left out, they'll invent other categories that cover more of the game. The 100% category will probably be insanely long.

It'd be like 100% Skyrim, who the hell wants to do that, how do you even define it, etc. more to the point at the 30-40 hour mark its not really a speedrun. It's probably be things like no food runs, no extra heart runs, no armor runs, no shrines other then required upgrades, clear each main dungeon etc. The Zelda speedrun community is pretty nuts and I'd expect several categories of "official" speedruns to get defined within the first 2-3 months

pentyne fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 17, 2017

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Dave posted:

Yeah I'm expecting if you go to the end game immediately you will get your poo poo wrecked pretty hard.

I can't remember, in ALttP could you go right to Ganon once you got in the Dark World but you couldn't beat him?

You'd need the dungeon items but without the silver arrows he was unbeatable.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

I thought it explicitly said 100 years?

It says 6 generations, so 90-120 years or so.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

LionArcher posted:

You can get it on Amazon. Edit, but it still has the funky box art which I find Annoying. They need to update that poo poo.

Prime Members also save $12 for pre-ordering it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Shame. The more you play, the more shameful you become.

Bugs and hearts. I believe you need to get a certain number of bugs at one point in order to get a heart. And I did it, too. I am a shameful goon.

Also, poo poo to upgrade your poo poo.

Because the only thing missing from Zelda games was grinding to make your gear better. It'd have worked in a open world roamer like TP but Skyward Sword was a big empty expanse of nothing so collecting bug parts and poo poo wasn't a good idea. Skyward Sword was 1/3 great game, 1/3 acceptable for Zelda fanboys, and 1/3 loving trash design choices and features.

I played and beat Skyward Sword when it came out and I literally forgot 1/2 of the content because nothing had stand out character. The grind/upgrade was annoying, fighting Demise I remember only because Groose was there backing me up. I can't remember most of the dungeons, plot, or features at all. I saw a clip of a boss fight that I have literally no memory of nor could I even recall doing it because it was so bland.

Meanwhile I could recall almost all of LttP, Ocarina, Twilight Princess, Wind Waker years on if pressed because so many things about them were so engaging or creative.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

In order to get the extra world heart containers for BotW, do you need to have completed the whole Cave of Shadows, or can you do the first six floors, save your progress and use however many hearts you had at that point in BotW?

I believe it will simply save and overwrite the number of hearts for whenever you clear each set of levels, so if you finish floor 10 with 8 hearts but then finish floor 20 with 4 hearts the 4 hearts overrides the 8. The simplest way seems to be getting the 20 hearts in the game, beating the first few levels of the Cave of Shadows, then saving to the amiibo.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

100+ Shrines gonna go full Other M and give you +1 arrow or +1 bomb per pickup.

Or some scraps where you get a piece of bomb cloth, find 4 more to upgrade your bomb bag.

100 is a LOT to have candy at the end of is what Im saying.

Some of the streams from later in the game when Link is geared out a lot more have a plus sign on the bombs when they are brought up in the Sheikah slate. There's also a way to increase the standard stamina wheel with an extra wheel. Unless there are only 5-6 main "items" 100 shrines is enough for heart pieces, collectibles, tons of rupees, item/slate upgrades, and high level equip-able gear..

Just going off the standard list of items in old Zelda games there will need to be 6-10 items for a wide diversity of puzzle options that are more then bombs, arrows, and hookshot targets. The stasis rune looks cool but it's got limited applications for anything other then storing momentum to launch something or freezing a switch to stay activated. The magnetic rune is the same, just move and place objects. The bombs have variety that are new but at the core are still bombs. The ice rune just creates platforms. Dungeon puzzles using those 4 features will get stale pretty quick, so either each rune has various upgrades to increase functionality or there are still non-rune things like the hookshot, grappling hook, hammer etc. that will get a lot of use as over-world exploration tools as well.

I'm hoping there's some form of universal storage in the game too. The 8 weapons allows for a good amount of collecting but it seems like the weapons break pretty quickly so you'd need 3-4 to stay combat ready, plus the korok leaf to sail, the element rods for fun, 2 handers, spears, etc. so that doesn't leave much room for finding and hoarding a great weapon for a boss fight if you need to carry it around the entire time and take up inventory space.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Eh, we've seen a good chunk of shrines so far. There's rare-ish materials in treasure chests in them and they all give an orb once you clear them. I feel like it'll probably be what someone mentioned earlier and remove heart pieces in favor of skill trees you max out with the orbs from the shrines. The biggest draw will probably be that you can just stumble upon them and decide to spend a bit solving puzzles instead of exploring.

Some of the rare materials have flavor text that basically says "This is really rare and will sell for a lot" so between that and rupee chests grinding out the shrines for quick cash will probably be the easiest way to bulk out the wallet.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

I am still kinda expecting there to be some obstacle that requires four macguffins to get past to beat the game, "you can go straight to the ending" feels like marketing talk more than an included feature.

No it was pretty literal.

http://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/15/11942652/legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-ending

quote:

"Users may not actually get the full story depending on how they play this game and how they strategize and solve puzzles," producer Eiji Aonuma told Polygon. "Users are able to go to the very end goal without revealing why Link woke up the way he did and where he did. Whether you want to reveal the storyline and find out why Link woke up, or you want to just go straight to the goal, that's an option totally up to the user."

When asked, Aonuma confirmed that a player could go directly to the final boss of the game from its opening moments if they wanted. However, he also stressed that he didn't view this as an ideal way to play.

"Anybody who can go straight to the goal without doing anything else — there's two possibilities," Aonuma said. "Either they're a really good gamer, or they could be somebody that's a little bit crazy. But it's not impossible. I created the game like that.

"Maybe it might be fun for fans to compete in a challenge for who can clear it first."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

youcallthatatwist posted:

Yeah seriously the only reason nintendo started caring about the timeline was to market skyward sword as ~the prequel~. Outside of direct sequels your friend doesn't really need to know anything.

Also hadn't Shigeru Miyamoto been saying for years that he had a definite timeline written out somewhere and it was a secret? The whole "timeline" thing has been going since at least Wind Waker.

The Timeline is dumb and they can do whatever they want with it since they created 3 distinct timelines after OOT and who's to say they won't just say "Oh, well this timeline is from when Groose was the true Hero" for the next, Groose-descendants centered game.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, to play Majora's Mask for the first time, what version should I get? 3DS or WiiU VC version?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Alec Eiffel posted:

I got that one. Because I missed a stone somewhere (apparently), that wolf did not give me the Great Spin Attack, but an earlier move. I'm not at home, but now I'm thinking I might have activated all the stones and forgotten a wolf somewhere. I mean, that's the only thing that makes sense because I definitely approached every stone yesterday.

One of the quality of life features I'd wish were included in more games would be in game quest listings of completed/collected items so you could see what/where you need to look. The bugs in TP were easy enough to come back to if you missed them but the Poe souls and a couple of the heart pieces were really hard to find. I've been playing the TP HD WiiU version and it improves a lot on the original but still I've been following a walk-through that works great for stopping after a certain number of dungeons to direct you where to collect all the new heart pieces/upgrades you can now obtain. Exploring and hunting the overworld in TP is not very fun, especially with the terrible horse controls, also that you don't even get the horse whistle till 90% through the game.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Alec Eiffel posted:

I lost on the 49th level of the Cave of Ordeals (3 armored swordsmen) and now I don't believe in video games anymore.

Should've bought the Zelda amiibos then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lemming posted:

I got two questions

This game out yet

What's in skull lake

The best fishing mini-game ever seen by human eyes.