Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
I am excited for this video game, having now listened to several first impressions and watched a small amount of raw gameplay.

I'm impressed that they actually seemed to have pulled off a real good open world zelda game. I was pretty prepared for this to be boring or disappointing, or "good but not great open world game." It sounds like all the delays were worth it for the extra polish, content, and balancing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

It will turn out that one of the younger developers who owned a PS3 back in the day and liked heavy metal music was super upset that Brutal Legend turned into a third-person RTS game after the first hour and a half or so.

my sadness returned. that game really was unique and super fun, for like two hours

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Plenty of games in the Zelda franchise have gotten average, fair, or middling reviews. And I'm not just talking the CD-i games.

The idea that Zelda has a magical shield against criticism is unjustified. If anything, it's the fanbase that clings to extreme viewpoints as to the franchise's quality, not reviewers.

Skyward Sword I think is a sore sticking point still, the game had large problems that were glossed over in reviews. It took me a long time to muscle through and finish it.

My enduring disappointment for high reviews is still the original GTA 4 though, once the fun of the rag doll physics wore off it was so blah. Thank goodness the expansions were so much better.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
started my download

I really can't call in tomorrow. Going to be a long, distracted day

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
This is a very, very good game.

Waffleman_ posted:

"Wow, the Plateau's pretty big. If this is the tutorial, I wonder what the rest of the game is like."

*Zooms all the way out on the map*

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

I'm still thinking "but what's in the snowy parts around mount hylia," even though I already dove off with my hangglider and there's like eight billion miles of crowded landscape to explore.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
Far enough in to the meat of the game that I am comfortable in putting this in my top 5 games of the last decade or so. Maybe that'll change with time, but I've been really shocked at how this game has engulfed me, in a way I haven't felt since probably Witcher 3? I think there are some real things to fault, and no it is not a "perfect game" whatever the hell that means. If you don't like open world games it's still an open world game, there is a (seriously small and situational) amount of framerate chugging, the voice acting is middling, and yeah you have to get used to your weapons breaking a lot as part of the game's system for keeping you invested in loot so you don't get bored of finding things.

but

I'm so impressed by how they've balanced the mechanics so you're never really lacking anything if you play smart, and yet you're always hunting for bigger advantages so you have the incentive to go off the beaten path to look for things, and you're always being shown something new, big or small. you're pretty rarely "farming" for stuff if you just take the time to pick things up as you run past. the game world is beautiful and compelling, and there's real variety and detail to it. and the combat is really well done and varied, and the puzzles inside the shrines are clever, and are you getting bored of this mountain well let's paraglide over a deep chasm to that other one and then there's a weird little magnet puzzle on the side of this desolate cliff, oh hey an adorable leaf sprite popped out and gave you a seed that you should get to that fat leaf sprite with the maracas, but he went to a location you haven't been yet? whatever better snowboard down on your cheapest shield into a moblin camp under you, then set off a sweet midair headshot on the archer in the tower before laying waste with a pitchfork you ripped out of one of their cold dead hands, oh nice five fire arrows in the reward chest you were down to your last one those're always useful, oh you're really close to that shrine you pinged ages ago and forgot about, wait where were you going originally, oh right that village that's way the hell off to the east, but maybe you should go to bed because its loving 4 am?

Princeps32 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 5, 2017

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
"A modest test of strength"

oh my god i just barely beat that hahaha whew hell of a fight

hey another shrine right down there

"A major test of strength"

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Jorge Bell posted:

I ended up beating the major test by spamming (unupgraded) bombs at it for over an hour and a half after all my normal weapons broke. Incredible weapons as a reward!

think i'm going to return when it can't one shot me

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

Yeah I wish I had at least a basic sword I could upgrade that didn't break, too many enemies break my poo poo. But given that fighting isn't as common as I thought it would be, I'm half and half about it. Still wish you could fortify or even repair poo poo. Arrows running out when I need them most almost gets me, as I was just fighting some big floating dragon thing and shooting targets on him, had one left, and then ran out of arrows. Bombs weren't doing anything to him so I had to leave and now must trek all the way back to Snow Land.

These memory things, how the gently caress do they work? I'm bad at recognizing areas but I don't know if I have to activate something when I get to an area? Is there anything else that visually tells me if I'm close?

There's a glowing column of light to step in to start the cutscene, but it only appears when you're pretty close

Can you hurt said dragon with just arrows? The wind was making it very difficult to tell once I ran out of fire arrows.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

al-azad posted:

I haven't seen a scenario where the solution to a problem isn't nearby. If you need a leaf, chop down a tree. Bombs can destroy trees and rocks. Sticks from trees can be used as makeshift torches in a pinch and where is it that you're needing a torch for so long? I'm probably not as far as you but aside from Hateno I have used a torch zero times. I never thought about using them for heat because I got the cold shirt from the old man and every Bokoblin fortress in a cold area grows about a dozen hot peppers.

This pretty much, though I haven't had a sledge hammer in some time and I do miss it. But I haven't carried anything, "item weapons" in a while, usually it's unnecessary.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
20-25 hours in finally finished the Zora dungeon, my first of the four, what a thoroughly excellent experience that whole sequence was. And now I can get to side quests in the area and fully exploring every nook and cranny before going searching for bird people or gerudos (death mountain is definitely last I think). loving good game.

Princeps32 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 8, 2017

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Are people ever going back to other open world games after this? How? I was considering getting HZD but what's the point, it probably isn't as good as botw in any aspect except for the novelty of 4k graphics I guess

HZD looks drat pretty and has a different kind of combat that looks fun in a different way. Feels nothing like this though.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Harrow posted:

I actually want to know what people liked about Skyward Sword, because I dropped it pretty early--it just didn't click with me in any way at all. I've only really read/watched negative opinions on it so I'd actually really like to see the other side. I think I owe it another chance, probably.

Skyward sword is an extremely up and down experience. It feels like an ambitious project that kept getting hemmed in by limitations. The motion controls are fun for an hour, then you realize how frustrating building a whole game around them is going to be. The flying is really exhilarating sometimes, but ultimately kind of a small part of the game, and it feels more restrictive than the ocean in wind waker because the meat of the game is in the underworld. Some of the dungeons are really fun and inventive, but then you're fighting the imprisoned again, or having to retread the forest again, or there's a boring/frustrating stealth section. Then there's some amazing gimmick like the weird time crystals that let you sail in the desert on a tiny moving ocean made out of a circle of your own personal time bubble, and it gets good again.

Princeps32 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 13, 2017

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
nothing is more wonderful than dropping a bomb on a trash mob while paragliding and it hits that explosive barrel just right and now there's just one very sad half dead giant moblin stumbling over to pick up his club but you just keep on rolling to the next hilltop

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

snoremac posted:

What is the verdict on Skyward Sword's silent realms? I thought they were a better version of TP's tear collection. I love how the atmosphere tranquil atmosphere is at odds with how tense the challenge is.

Sorry to say I hated them, because unlike the TP ones, which introduced you to new areas even if they were a bit dull, it was a full map inch by inch timed stealth mission in areas I'd already been through, sometimes several times over.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

jesus god that stings

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
Edit: beaten twice, but yeah you don't need to fight the hinox, it's way more hilarious not to anyway.

Princeps32 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 20, 2017

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
I'm pretty decked out in 'mid-late game weapons and gear, is there any reason to visit hyrule castle and town early beyond thrill seeking or farming royal weapons? I'm a little sad I didn't try it earlier but at this point based on some of the reports in this thread I kind of want to face it as a final dungeon.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
The whole Gerudo main sequence was aces beginning to end, and I'm including the stealth part because it actually allowed for several types of approaches in its hard room, including toughing out a super hard fight if you want, and it wasn't hours long like past Zelda stealth sequences.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Honestly in hindsight my biggest complaint about the stealth section was not autosaving between rooms. I know, "It's so short, the save would be nothing" but the level of frustration with the hard room was exacerbated by "even if I manage to get through this, how many more loving rooms of this are there going to be, loving poo poo" frustration, especially given historical gerudo stealth sections being the size of actual dungeons. It felt silly afterwards because "oh, I guess that was it, welp" but in the moment it felt lovely.

That would have helped a little with the frustration factor true, the first room was so straightforward that I ended up not caring but it's still weird they couldn't code in a checkpoint. Also nice that you could go back to get all the stuff after it was over, since I ultimately went with a no violence banana powered approach that prevented me from getting some of the gems. I found the forest sequence much more frustrating.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I mean, if that's a dumpster fire and "the worst mission ever" in Breath of the Wild then the game is a literal masterpiece*. That mission takes, what.. less than 5 minutes? It's hilariously easy, literally all you have to do is keep an eye on him while you move from behind tree to tree to stay out of sight. :psyduck: This is literally babby's first stealth mission, have these people not played a videogame before?

* it is

It actually took me more tries than the yiga camp stealth section. Oaki was hard to see, looked back at a couple of odd moments, and of course there was the wolf.

I never thought of sneaking past and waiting at the shrine, because of course he doesn't actually need you to watch him, he gets through fine on his own!!!

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
I'm stalling on finishing this game even though I'm completely ready for Hyrule Castle because I don't want to be done with it, so I'm actually getting all 120 shrines (not getting all the korok seeds though, Christ I've played this game a lot and only have 200). I haven't done anything this completionist since like Batman: Arkham Asylum.

I'm glad I started to do this though, because I got to see the conclusion to the Kass arc just now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
Hyrule Castle was an awesome final dungeon with tons of character and side areas.

I am sad that I have beaten it and gotten all the shrines (am not going to torture myself with Koroks). What an excellent game.