Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm very down with that. Into the idea of mostly wandering around and not getting many cutscenes.

Also, I said this in the last thread, but I am more into the idea of being Link with armor+spear than really makes sense. It's like something that I've had a desire for ever since I've been a kid, for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm so in

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm not worried about the open world getting boring either, but if people really expect a map of that size to be packed with unique encounters and quests they're looking to be disappointed

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

gannyGrabber posted:

Uh yeah SS was really good
It was the point where I decided I was done with 3D Legend of Zelda games. I didn't bother to finish it.

This game, by all appearances, will be what gets me back into them.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

greatn posted:

Here's a strategy you can try. Go to the first temple and just keep going in and out to grind. Grind up only your attack. Health once or twice if you absolutely need it.(and there's also a heart container near the first temple). Get your attack to like five or six but never level up your magic or health. Now after you gain that fifth or sixth attack level, get ready to beat the temple. On the way down just make sure you gain enough experience that you "decline" leveling up your health or magic again. Now after you beat the boss and return the crystal you will automatically gain enough experience to get to the next attack level. But instead choose magic or health. The level up screen will just keep popping up as long as you have exp to spare. Spread it around, and you'll end up with Everything at 5 or six because you have such a surplus. You'll never need to grind again, the rest of the game should naturally fill out your levels to eight, probably. Grinding those levels out in the first temple takes maybe an hour and half, and goes by quicker as you gain more attack and kill almost everything in one hit.
Telling someone who couldn't get into LoZ 2 that they should spend an hour and a half grinding is perhaps the absolute worst advice you could give

You don't need to grind at all in 2. the parts people get stuck on are generally parts where they don't know where to go, not combat segments. if you just play the game normally you get plenty of XP, just keep a walkthrough open for if you get stuck

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Link just burning the poo poo out of the wilderness makes me think of this

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Zcyzo3w54

You can use both the heads and arms from Stals as weapons.
I like that they look as if they're skeletons of the bokoblins in this game, rather than just weird big baby skeletons or whatever they are in OoT

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it wasn't as cool in SS

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm sure you'll be able to win fights without doing any fun goofy physics stuff if you don't want to.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's good. I can never tell what part of the zelda game popular opinion cycle it's at. you know the one, it goes from
"it's a letdown and the focal point of the fall of the franchise->actually it's pretty good" with basically no room in between

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
TP's Yeti mansion and Arbiter's grounds are a couple of my favorite dungeons in any LoZ game.

Lakebed temple has incredible atmosphere IMO but isn't very interesting to play. City in the Sky sucks. The rest are fine.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I always wished food in this game would all be timed buffs, no healing. I don't like that you can walk around with a huge supply of big healing items you can pause and eat whenever you want.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think it's boring to win a tough fight by shoveling food into my face

unless you just don't press A on things when traveling around, after just a short bit of cooking you have tons and tons of healing items and will not realistically die unless you get oneshot

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

The point of the game is not difficult fights, and the distinction between food/potion functionality isn't a simple binary choice a player has to make when spending rupees at a store in a fixed place. You have to blend/craft useful things according to a (loose) preparation plan and can stock your inventory accordingly. Sure, the more you explore the more components you get. Totally a part of the game. But if you need to climb a huge thing with low stamina, the staminoka bass you caught won't do poo poo unless you cook it up with something at a specific place to bring out its attributes. The game is designed to be accessible, scalable, and adaptive to how a base-level player wants to explore while leaving bigger challenges to more advanced challengees(?). I'd posit that it's not a problem, it's a feature some players may have outgrown-- and that's okay. Zelda games, especially BotW, are not Dark Souls slogs. They WANT you to be prepared for the next cool thing they made for you so you can enjoy it. You're the kid and the developers are the parents who made you a scavenger hunt for your birthday.
I literally just grabbed random stuff I found on my way to do things and then whenever I came across a pot I threw stuff together, and constantly had way too much healing items to ever die unless I got oneshot. I've never had a "preparation plan" in this game before.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The thing is that you can just not pick up consumables. The game is meant to be incredibly accessible for everyone. You can make of it the way you want to play it. If they stick to the same engine for the next game they most likely won't give up the amount of consumables because that would make it less appealing for an enormous amount of the fanbase of BOTW.

s.i.r.e. posted:

So... don't do it?

Or are you upset that others can do something you find boring to get through a fight?
A game only being challenging if you make up honor rules for yourself feels really lame

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

SeANMcBAY posted:

I disagree. The best games are ones that lend themselves to that kind of thing.
Ok, sure. Obviously I feel differently about it. Difficulty settings you can turn on for a playthrough are one thing, but then what I want is the feeling of doing everything in my power to win(and still feeling challenged). I want games to make me really learn their systems and take advantage of everything I can in order to succeed. I want to be pushed to figure out weird strategies, practice mechanics, and use all the resources the game gives me to win. That kinda scrappy underdog victory feeling is what I look for. But if combat is only hard if I choose not to use healing items, not by the game actually limiting the amount of them or the way you use them, I don't get that feeling. Having to hold back feels stupid.

It's a big part of why I haven't finished BotW yet. I ran around fighting Lynels for a while after the first couple divine beasts and then I got sick of it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's still way loving better than twilight "grey visual filter bug hunts" princess btw

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

The Bloop posted:

I love WW to death but I don't think I ever died after the first little bit.
Both WW and Twilight Princess exist in a period of LoZ history where enemies are just not allowed to deal actual damage to the player.

The Bloop posted:

Combat isn't the first, second, third, or probably even fourth thing important to a Zelda game being good. BotW isn't perfect and neither is its combat, but combat difficulty is so obviously not the point
The combat is still a lot of what you do in the game(a whole lot), and it's a lot better than previous LoZ titles which leads me to want more from it.

To be clear wrt what I was saying earlier, I don't think BotW is a bad game, but I do think it's a bad game for me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Argue posted:

In general it's not worth it, just accept the loss and die/reload.
they're fun to fight though

just get used to dodging attacks for the counter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Augus posted:

-Has a well-paced progression of expanding the parts of the ocean you have access to and discovering new areas
except for the last stretch where you're just going further and further through the same single cave and it takes absolutely forever and you will likely need to leave to make depth upgrades at least once