Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
My thoughts on the weapon durability is that it actually seems really fun, if implemented correctly. The whole point is that you're not holding on to your equipment forever: you need to go out and engage in combat to get enemy weapons. It's like they took the gimmick from Wind Waker and expanded it into a core mechanic. Also, they throw a TON of weapons at you if you explore a little. I don't think it'll be too annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

quiggy posted:

Yup. I'm anticipating it feeling a bit like Wind Waker, only with more interactivity between the "islands", as it were. In my mind those long stretches of sailing are actually one of the best parts of Wind Waker because they provide a period of relaxation and exploration in between the dungeons and story and everything else, so if Breath of the Wild nails that exploration:everything else ratio I'm gonna fall in love with this game so hard.

See, I'm excited for the opposite reason: My big problem with Wind Waker was that even in the remake, sailing was boring as hell. Here, the "ocean" between points of interests is full of stuff in its own way. Relaxing for me means messing with bokoblins and wilderness cuisine.

God, the sense of exploration in this game looks amazing. I love being able to come up with my own little stories about the world: that skull outcrop? Definitely the head of a giant skeleton buried underground.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
The Wii No U Want It (Because It Has Zelda)

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Grozz Nuy posted:

I mean, there's basically no way there isn't some quest chain to restore the Master Sword with it looking all old and hosed up in the trailer, and then once you do it'll be unbreakable and way more powerful than everything else.

This sounds like a terrible idea to me, because it means throwing the game's core mechanics out the window. I hope that at the very least it's not the most powerful weapon in the game, since that would discourage the player from ever switching out.

My best guess, to fit the technology theme of the game, is that you'll get electric weapons like the bow in the original trailer that are more powerful and don't break. However, they still degrade, and once they "power down" you have to wait for them to recharge, or maybe stop by a town or something. That way there's still an incentive to keep a steady supply of weapons and steal them from enemies.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Will there be full on zelda style dungeons in this? Skyrim sword is great and all with the open world and a hundred mini future-past techno challenge trial dungeons, but everyone remembers the dungeons in a zelda game, have they said if they will have the same giant, sprawling dungeons with a boss at the end?

They have confirmed that full dungeons still exist, yes.

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 17, 2016

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I'm incredibly hyped for this game, but I do have one big qualm: the graphics lend themselves to sweeping vistas really well, but up close the cliff and ground textures look like rear end. I hope they get touched up for the final release.
Also, more of a personal thing: I booted up Skyward Sword for fun today, and it's so much more colorful and vibrant than this game. I always prefer stylized artstyles over more "realistic" stuff. The character models are fine, but te environment in BOTW looks a tad bit bland.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

SirPenguin posted:

I agree, but even if they don't then the demo definitely implies they are ditching the old model of "just about everything does .5 - 1 heart of damage". Guardians do like 7 hearts from the get-go or something crazy like that, as did that stone golem thing

That's my ideal difficulty "curve" in a zelda - I can live with the trash giving me partial hearts worth of damage if the big, scary attacks actually feel big and scary

I sort of agree with this, but also, it's kind of lame that every bokoblin attack is exactly as powerful as a bee sting. Heck, the bees look like they might be harder to shake off!

So far the enemies in the demo have been cleanly split between "does a tiny amount of damage" and "kills you in one hit". That's pretty lousy difficulty mechanics, so I hope that the rest of the game is more even.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
My ~super controversial opinion~ is that I like ST. This is probably in no small part due to the fact that it was my second zelda, PH being the first, but from what I remember, the touch controls worked well enough, the art was nice, and the game had some incredibly fun dungeon designs.

Hopefully this post convinces people that there is no actual objective Worst Zelda, because plenty of people will love the things you think are flaws. The secret is that all Zeldas are pretty good games, or at least better than a good 80% of the dreck out there.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

Link Between Worlds was on sale at Target, so I already bought that one

Man you're lucking out. You're playing the best 2D zelda game right after one of the best 3D Zelda games!

Also yeah don't worry about the timeline stuff. A few of the games are explicitly connected to each other (Majora's Mask is a sequel to Ocarina, Skyward Sword is a prequel to everything) but for the most part, I like treating the series like Final Fantasy: basically a bunch of separate stories that involve some similar characters, locations, and plot elements. You don't play these games for the story anyway.

btw what'd you think of ocarina? I'm curious to see if it holds up well now, eighteen years later.

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 13, 2016

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
It's not like zelda hadn't done bullshit obscurity before. Zelda 1 is a crash course in how not to design puzzles

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Phimosissy posted:

:lol:
source: absolutely no ten-year-olds ever beat it before the internet existed, apparently

I mean, some of the hidden things were just hidden rather than being a puzzle per se, but NES era games were tiny and had to be hard as balls to be long enough to justify.
Looking at a walkthrough, it isn't as bad as I remembered, and I understand why miyamoto and co. made these choices at the time, but there's still a ton of bullshit in there that counts as terrible game design by modern standards. Like, in order to get to the eighth dungeon, you need to burn a single tree somewhere in the overworld. There are no in-game hints whatsoever towards this - not even to the fact that you need to burn a tree in the first place! If a game came out nowadays with a "puzzle" like that, it'd be justifiably panned.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is that a consistent problem through the series including recent releases, or is it just in the older ones?

To answer your question more directly: no, it isn't really a consistent problem. In fact, some people would argue that the latest entries have gone too far in the opposite direction. Skyward Sword, for example, is much more enjoyable once you accept that it's more of an on-rails theme park ride than an adventure game.
Link between worlds does non-linearity VERY well, though, and it looks like the zelda team have finally learned their lessons for Breath Of The Wild.

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 16, 2016

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

mabels big day posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuU6ojvBIic

spoilers Wind Waker is for babies and he says the dungeons suck

Lmao isn't this guys m.o. that any linearity at all sucks?
His videos are super disappointing to me because instead of going over why people enjoy these dungeons, he just rags on the same thing over and over again.

Like seriously based on this series you'd think the last good zelda game was LA

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

I could have sworn there was a list of games and stuff for the Wii U that never materialized.

Like a Mother 3 localization.

That was just about the only thing she got wrong. She's gotten a poo poo ton of things right since then. I made a post about it earlier if you're curious

Also I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is waiting to test BOTW until the localization is finished. They're like the only major gaming company nowadays who cares about releasing games as bug-free as possible. They wouldn't want to introduce a bunch of jew variables halfway through testing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Nintendo will probably never make something like MM again because the Nintendo that made MM doesn't really exist anymore imo

OoT and MM were both mindblowing pioneers of video games for their own reasons when they came out. Nintendo, and the AAA game industry as a whole, has grown a lot more conservative since then, preferring to iterate on what works instead of developing something brand new, with Splatoon being basically the only exception in recent years. That's not to say that they don't make good games anymore! They just aren't nearly as experimental and creative as they used to be.

I'll say this, though: the fact that Splatoon and BOTW are both being managed by a young, fresh team of developers gives me a lot of hope for Nintendo's future.

Plus theres the fact that yeah, the game got torpedoed at launch, and I wouldn't be surprised if the execs at nintendo still think it's unpopular. Remember how everyone though Earthbound wasn't coming to VC because of copyright issues, and it was actually because NoJ legit had no clue the game had a massive legacy in the west

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 26, 2016

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I really liked SS too when I played it as a kid. I replayed the first few hours recently and I wonder if my opinion on it will end up changing if/when I get back to it. I cant believe I ever thought this game was well-written, lmao. Also it's hilarious in hindsight how much Fi's role is literally "restate whatever the last character said, except in a boring, """"technical"""" way"

The SS devs did not trust the player to find their own way at all, and it really shows. It messes with the sense of exploration a lot, imo.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
http://zelda.com/breath-of-the-wild/

so this is up now if you wanna hype yourself up for TGA tomorrow. It's the videos from e3.

Man I can't decide if I want to watch tomorrow or not. I kinda want to avoid spoilers until the game releases, but I don't know if I can stop myself for three/six/however many months. I wonder if it'll be actual new footage, or just stuff we've already seen?

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
So we just got a 30 second trailer i think. It was GORGEOUS

some shots of minor npcs, locations. Looks like they're going mayan-style for all of the ancient runes and whatnot. A few things that could be considered spoilery:

badass flying bird ship that I'm sure we'll get to ride at some point, and what looked like badass steampunk zelda? gently caress yeah i hope she gets to do stuff in this game

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Oh my god you guys are acting like occasional framerate drops are physically painful. Like yeah it isn't great but it isn't the end of the world either. It'll be better on switch

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Wait so...is there a limit to the amount of times you can use the amiibo, or can you just summon an infinite stream of rupees?

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I had the exact same problem when I played SS. This is actually the game's fault completely: the explanation for how to fly the game gives you is blatantly false. To flap, flick your wrist like you're using a hammer.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/NinWire/status/812075862803759108

Hopefully these will be better quality than the prima ones. I have a weakness for video game guides and I wanna get them, especially since the cover art looks so good

Also since I don't think anybody's mentioned it: the zelda team is uploading screenshots on facebook. So far it's just landscape stuff, no spoilers

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/NinEverything/status/812812729006231552

He looks confused

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Cleretic posted:

The true ALBW soundtrack is just Smooth Criminal on loop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlmDPC6ai4Y

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Motion controls are good when devs are using them in innovative amd unique ways, as in SS and Okami, and bad when devs are using them to rrplace actions that could easily be performed using buttons, as in the TP sword waggle.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Heavy Metal posted:

You say people who call shaking a controller forced sound "petulant", and you think it's bad to belittle a control scheme?

it's bad to belittle a control scheme concept because of a few examples of failed execution, especially since many of those mistakes come from designing around the control scheme instead of for it.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Motion controls have only become a necessity recently because of VR where you cannot in any god drat way replicate the fidelity of separate hand/finger tracking and environmental interaction with said motion controls. The waggle or even Wiimotion+ didn't really add much and just became awkward inputs for only select moments in games. They weren't ubiquitous across the board, just "Hey, here's a small part of the game that uses motion control" or a small movement you had to do which would of been better with a button.

That was the problem with the Wii's motion controls, most, if not all of it could have been done on a standard pad or method of input already established and with a higher rate of precision. You're reinventing the wheel when you try and solve a problem that has already been solved to perfection.

The problems you are describing were the fault of the developers, not the system itself. It is absolutely possible to make a game in which motion controls figure prominently, like Okami or SS, it's just that most people either didn't bother implementing them in any meaningful way, or were hindered due to the wii's terrible hardware, an issue unrelated to motion controls. For a separate but related example, look at touch screens: imagine if people had only tried to port console games to the DS or smartphones or whatever. You'd probably have heard complaints pretty quickly that touch controls didn't offer anything new for videogames, because console games aren't designed around touch screens.

Also, modern controllers aren't perfect. They work well for certain games, like FPSs, but RTS games are nigh unplayable. They're designed to allow ylu to manipulate a character in 3D space, and they do that very well, but touch/motion controls offer other possibilities.

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 29, 2016

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

s.i.r.e. posted:

90% of games on the 3DS\Wii U only use the touch screen as a glorified menu and it works, seldom did it ever get used for interesting ideas that wouldn't work on a standard controller. Someone already said the Wii was good with pointer controls which is true, but I literally cannot think of a single game that used it's terrible motion controls for an action that couldn't be done via a button press or joystick movement.

I never said they were perfect for all applications, but they apply to most. You don't even see RTS on consoles anymore outside of Pikmin and I guess the upcoming Halo Wars.

Now you're just being obtuse. What about Layton? The Zelda games? Okamiden? TWEWY? I could keep going. The point is, there were plenty of games that put the touch screen to good use. As for motion controls, Splatoon svowed off how good they could be. I'll grant that the gamepad's drawbacks outweighed its strengths, although pikmin and splatoon both used it very well. But hey, it's also the one new control scheme that isn't included in the switch.

I am all in favor of people coming up with more intuitive control schemes, even if hardcore grumps complain. the reason you don't see RTSes on consoles anymore is specifically because traditional controllers don't work well for them. For another example, look at adventure games, or puzzle games.

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 30, 2016

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

HIJK posted:

VR is going to be The Worst. It's just a step sideways from motion controls. I hate moving to play vidya. It's dumb.

thankfully i don't think VR is actually going to be much of a revolution. It actually cracks me up when people say it's the next frontier of vudeo games, because a) the cheapest version available is a $400 expansion to a $400 console that plays$60 minigames, and b) developing for VR is actually suuuuhper restrictive. Every game has to be first person, which means it has to take place in a relatively pretty 3D environment. Plus there's the movement problem. I hope VR succeeds, but it probably won't become.mainstream for a while.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
After I played ALBW, I decided to try out ALTTP on the virtual console, and... I understand why the game was considered so revolutionary at the time, but imo every single one of ALTTP's successors has improved on it in every way. The biggest issue is that block-pushing and kill-every-enemy "puzzles" were still new and original at the time, which I guess is why they felt the need to structure like every puzzle in the game around them? I got past the first dark world dungeon and then called it quits, because I just wasn't having any fun.

Also the bosses are super boring. Sure, the "third hit's the charm!!" style has become pretty well-worn at this point, but I'll take that any day of the week over "the strategy in this fight is, uh, hit it a bunch i guess". World design is great, though! It made me realize that the zeldas after MM feel like their overworld is almost an afterthought - just a way to connect a handful of disparate levels.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Skyward Sword is the only Zelda game I've never finished so I decided to beat it before BotW comes out. Getting to the first Ghirahim encounter, I had no problems with the controls but man that fight is frustrating. Even after watching a youtube of the fight it still took me 5 to 6 minutes to beat the first phase. But aside from that the rest is wonderful and probably a good indication of what BotW will be like with the upgrade system and cooking system.

For as much as skyward sword's overworld is maligned, BOTW's emphasis on treating the overworld like a puzzle stems from its predecessor. It's just that the "levels" in this case are designed to be approachable from any angle.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
SS is not the worst zelda. that would be probably one of the earliest ones. it's very worth a playthrough imo, even with its flaws. it has the best art direction of any zelda imo.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
also the old man in BOTW doesn't give you a sword, and isn't in a cave. his deisgn is just a reference. i would say all of the allusions are more to evoke the feeling of the original, and how unique it was at the time.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Sex Tragedy posted:

If you watch gameplay from the opening there's a stick placed directly in Link's path by the old man, and he's in a very small cave.

in that same video they discussed that the intro is supposed to be a reversal of zelda 1's. Link starts in a cave and emerges into a clearing instead of starting in a clearing and descending into a cave. there's no old man in link's cave.
i guess this is a dumb thing to argue about, but my point is the references are meant to communicate "we're trying to reinvent zelda" more than "this is a literal remake of zelda 1"

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
the only criticism i have of albw is that allowing you to tackle the dungeons.in any order means no real sense of.difficulty progression. otherwise it's a nearly flawess game.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
it's possible lttp becomes incredible after i stopped playing, but i didn't really want to sit through fifty more identical "push a random block and the door opens" puzzles

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
i would highly reccomend Beyond Good and Evil. I haven't played very much pf it yet, but what I have played was extremely enjoyable. It's one of the few games out there that really scratches that zelda-formula itch for me, whike having a unique world that's intriguing and inviting, and doesn't feel derivative.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
i tried playing okami recently and they're not exaggerating. the intro sequence is literally 45 minutes long. it's why i can't see myself replaying it anytime soon.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
definitely the spirit flute. i'm so glad I played ST at an age when I didn't give a poo poo about looking like an idiot in public

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
the concept of jabu jabu is wonderful (cows in the walls!), but the execution is a slog.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

eonwe posted:

im going to start playing Zelda games

I got link between worlds for Christmas and I really started playing it tonight. house of gales was really cool

quality idea imo. zelda games, while not perfect, rule very hard.
if you like link between worlds try ocarina of time, also for 3DS. it's more linear but still very good.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Earnestly posted:

Okay, so I just finished the first dungeon in Phantom Hourglass. My initial impression of the game is favorable.

I like the control scheme, or rather I've figured out the best perspective to take and it hasn't troubled me since. The movement is in itself a challenge. I understand why many people might dislike it, but I would disagree with a claim that it doesn't work. I like how Link pulls out his shield only when he walks; I like how the tap to stab makes combat feel quick; I like drawing on the map. I have not figured out a way to reliably slash the sword or roll, but I feel comfortable disregarding those actions because they seem unnecessary for puzzles. There's been some mic input for blowing out candles, which I think is neat. However, I have heard that there is some musical instrument that also involves the mic, and the sounds like a sure-fire nightmare.

The dungeon design so far seems good. Windwaker style streamlined dungeons that minimize backtracking make the experience really flow. I also like the new element of having to carry the boss key back to the boss door despite it not really seeming like good design.

However, I haven't found the cut scenes anywhere naar charming or interesting. Hopefully the game is holding off on better characters than this Linebeck joker for when it really opens up.

Edit: Also, the game immediately got rid of the best character. Why does the Zelda series hate Terra?

thankfully the mic instrument is in the other ds zelda game, so you don't have to worry about that. hope you like the temple of the ocean king, though, since you'll be seeing it a lot. Unfortunately neither of the ds games have great stlries/characters, although Spirit Tracks has the best version of the princess ever

codenameFANGIO posted:

I went right into Ocarina from Link Between Worlds and I am finding that they have almost nothing in common.

sure they do. both are great zelda games and both are on 3DS. they're structured a little differently, but i love them botg for different reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
the only issue is that the IR is located at the bottom of the right joycon, so you presumably need to hold it upside down. i don't know how that would let you access any buttons easily... maybe they'll sell a special joycon R along with the remake.