Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Looks like good times, I look forward to terrorizing chickens and running into things and whatnot, hopefully rocking a dungeon or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I think handheld Zelda games should go for a Landstalker-esque isometric kinda view to spice things up, or a Dragon Quest IV DS slight angle with camera rotation. I've seen enough of the top of Links head, more of a sidescroller fan than top down fan. And if you're doing top down, isometric is best.

(Controversial view on views)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Wii-mote and nunchuck to me is the worst controller on any Big 4 console ever. Plus any game where you have to aim the wiimote and move with the stick is really odd for me as a leftie who mouses right handed, I'm used to aiming with my right hand in games, and moving the character with my left hand. But aiming a remote/lightgun I do with my left hand, but I don't move a character with my right hand, long story short the controls don't work for me. And were gimmicky and shortsighted, I'm glad they're moving on from that.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Phimosissy posted:

My point was that the use of the word "forced" is silly when the most requested alternative was to have you just as "forced" to use a different (albeit generally preferred) scheme.

It's like saying arcade centepede forces you to use a trackball. It's not wrong, but that's just how that game works. It sounds petulant.

Instead of forced, let's just say it's an abomination.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Phimosissy posted:

No game needs to work like anything is my point. Centipede didn't need a trackball.

It's arguable whether or not it worked, and I'd say the general consensus is that it did not, but the idea of wiimote motion inputs was to make games more immersive. Personally, I feel that that did work for several applications, such as the previously mentioned mario spin and link shield, although I understand others didn't like it. I do certainly hear the complaint that sometimes the inputs didn't register. That is a technical problem, though, not a conceptual one with motion controls.

Literally any change from a previous thing is "reinventing the wheel" but people only say things like that when they don't like the change. "Gimmick" in this context means "innovation I did not personally care for and want to belittle".

I'm not saying all change is good but I will certainly defend Nintendo's commitment to trying new things. They hit more than they miss.

You say people who call shaking a controller forced sound "petulant", and you think it's bad to belittle a control scheme?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

youcallthatatwist posted:

it's bad to belittle a control scheme concept because of a few examples of failed execution, especially since many of those mistakes come from designing around the control scheme instead of for it.

But it's funny to insult people over it, gamers get passionate about things. Surely it's more okay to insult a controller?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm just glad I'll be able to surf on a shield in the near future!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kfroog posted:

A Link to the Past is to the Zelda series what Super Metroid is to the Metroid series, i.e. the best one, because it was made in a time period when Nintendo's level designers really knew how to make this genre in particular work. They had respect for the player and also respect for themselves. They had the confidence to be subtle and trust the player to pick up on it.

Ocarina of Time is the best one (for my taste), and I wish Metroid had an N64 game!

Pumped for Breath of the Wild by the way, one more ride for my Wii-U. I'll pick up a Switch when it comes with that cool Mario Odyssey game packed in or a discount etc.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

youcallthatatwist posted:

i am nooooooot a fan of zelda's face. why are her eyes so ENORMOUS?? She looks like an alien. also i'm not holding out much hope for her being less of a damsel this time around

all the other races look fantastic though. Special shoutout to the shark zora and the sheikah enemy you see at one point.

Her eyes are only like 50% to full on 90s anime eyes, surely they could be much more flying saucer like? Did you not partake in vintage anime?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hocus Pocus posted:

So to take that and then bring in a strong Studio Ghibli vibe in the art direction and music, and to incorporate the kind of broad player tool set found in games like Dragon's Dogma and Far Cry 2 has me really interested to see if it will all come together. Interested enough to preorder at least :3:

Let's just hope Link can surf his shield up a wall much like Lupin's car in Castle of Cagliostro!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Febreeze posted:

I mean MM was made in a year and I'd wager MM is probably the most praised game in this thread.

OoT is the best, way better than MM in my book. But I love for example GTA Vice City which was made in a year, much like MM it was able to use GTA3 as a base, MM is like a stand-alone expansion/alternate game thingy for OoT. It wouldn't be made from the ground up in one year.

A long dev time doesn't mean you'll necessarily have a great game, but it sure helps.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think there will be any 100% BoTW runs at AGDQ.

^^^ If you jump off the tower and land on a horse while a bomb goes off and kills you, it spawns you on the title screen where you already have 900 Koroks.

I hope that's not the only thing this game takes from Contra 3, I want Link shooting homing magic missiles and fairy lasers and stuff.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

In general the Wii-U version looks pretty solid, it's "good enough" for me like Cyndi Lauper once said about The Goonies!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

evilmiera posted:

I could not get into MGS until V. Partially because the way the story was presented was bad but also because before V the missions felt too restricted.

I love all of them, and I do love MGS V, and this to me does in some ways feel like the MGS V of Zelda, in that they're going open world or finally embracing that style of game. But I don't think it makes sense to call a meticulously, excellently designed gameplay level restricted. And you could take more than one approach, at least since 3. The bases in MGS games are pretty incredible pieces of work I feel. And MGS3 in particular had a lot of wider areas as well. I just hope the future of game design isn't just getting rid of meticulous, large complex levels in favor of just going open world all the time. But to be fair, reviews are saying this world is fairly meticulously designed, just maybe not having as big/complex dungeons.

But that said, I love open world done well, and this looks to be a good example of that, and MGS V was for me as well, despite it's behind the scenes troubles and whatnot. I just hope we don't see the MGS1 style of game go away either.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 27, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Funky Valentine posted:

I can't believe that "Link" is actually Tingle who received facial reconstruction surgery to look like Link and some serious hypnosis to act like Link.

Link was an undercover cop but the only guy who knew he was undercover got killed by an evil pig guy! Now he's a renegade Elfish cop on the edge, looking for bit of sanity in this crazy town/kingdom.

(editor's note: this is a Max Payne joke/reference, I wouldn't spoil you Zelda thread readers)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 27, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

LionArcher posted:

Also, game pad doesn't have extra functions, and pro controller does work!

Nice to have that extra confirmed, I love that controller. Gonna rock this game very soon oh yes!

spasticColon posted:

Argh, why isn't it Friday yet? :f5:

And does the Wii U version support the Wii U pro controller just in case I don't like playing with the tablet controller?

You bet it does, us Pros are catered to!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm hyped to play this sometime soon! My Amazon Wii-U copy ends its journey sometime today apparently.

The impressions in this topic have furthered my hype, more so than the reviews!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

spasticColon posted:

I got my refurbished Wii U today and after much cussing and swearing I got it set up but why isn't the game available for pre-load? I guess I have to either stay up until 3AM to buy it and start downloading or go to bed early and set my alarm for 3AM so I can download it and play it. I'm really tempted to buy WWHD from the eshop to tide me over until BOTW launches.

Don't forget to play Mario 3D World, bit of a gem! For me the best Mario game in about 20 years (since 64)

edit: woops double post

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Escobarbarian posted:

This is definitely in discussions for GOAT and like 100% the best open world game ever. It takes all the great bits from Skyrim, Far Cry 3 onwards, Phantom Pain, and SO MANY MORE and improves upon them while cutting out all the bullshit.

It's all personal taste, but I do find taking down an encampment in MGSV to be more thrilling than doing that in this. But that's not the point of this game, where as that's the bread and butter of MGSV. Just saying for me, no one game does it all the best, and I don't find this game does everything better than everybody. But I don't really generally go in looking for a comparison, I just take each game for what it is. I agree it's a lot better than Far Cry 3/4 though for the record, and I'm not a Skyrim fan myself. While MGS5 is one of my top favs.

But anyways, I'm really digging this game, fun stuff! Played probably 8 hours today, and I only got out of the plateau recently. It's cool. Doesn't wow me like Ocarina of Time did (when I played it in 2004), but what does. It'll be cool if it's GOTY, I'm not quite at a point of looking at is as GOAT, but maybe I'll get there when I see some later stuff. I actually liked aspects of FF 15 better than this right off the bat, that felt a bit more addictive to me, but goes to show, it's all personal taste. There being a unanimous pick for best game doesn't really make sense. But this is for me the best Zelda in many years, and off to a good start, I look forward to logging a lot of hours in this.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

LionArcher posted:

Played it for 5 hours tonight. I think it just might be

Have you played Quest for Glory? The early 90s VGA remake of that especially, wandering around a forest, finding unexpected interesting things, becoming a hero, bit of a classic. That just came to mind when I was wandering around the forest in this, making a hand-drawn map of that QfG forest as a kid. There are a lot of quality choices for best game ever, and I can dig that this is some people's choice for that.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ChocNitty posted:

If the game world is as large as the great plateau, filling in all the uncovered regions on the map, i'll be happy.

Call me crazy, I'd shrink the game world to 80%, make everything a bit closer together, cut down on the travel time slightly. More bang for your time buck.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

GobiasIndustries posted:

Was gonna wait to buy but I love this series so I made an impulse purchase. Thumbs up overall it seems?

It makes eggs on Sunday too, which I look forward to quite frankly, a good breakfast is a key part of the day

(is good game)

edit: I want the world to know, that this eggs joke is a reference to the classic Reb Brown Captain America film, when he gets his fancy bike, and says "Does it make eggs on Sunday morning too?" or something like that

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 4, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

General game design talk, I really dig MGSV, Final Fantasy XV, and I also really dig this (which has more polish and is a bigger world), there's a trend. Japanese devs doing the big open world spaces thing, not going for intricate smaller areas like they used to (at least applicable in the case of MGS, and in some ways on Zelda's previous too linear for some big dungeon levels etc). I love open world games, GTA3 knocked my socks off, I dig the genre in general. But I think at some point, making bigger more open game worlds, even if done really really well, the pendulum should swing the other way sometime.

Take that first third of Witcher 2, where you're going around forests and whatnot around this one town and stuff. Very very interesting, to me very lived in feeling and atmospheric, not saying this game isn't, but bigger isn't the only way to go for this stuff. I could see the next Zelda going GTA5 on this (which I do love), a bigger better GTA4, so I guess another huge open Zelda but with even more stuff in it. Which would be awesome, but to me in some ways it might also almost be exausting in some ways.

I really dug the cozy feel of smaller early 3D worlds like OoT, having a realistic huge scale doesn't always add to the gameplay in every way. But when people here about a new RPG/Zelda style adventure, they often say "how big is it? is it huge?", I myself am kind of leaning the other way, like, let's make it less huge, but make every step more memorable.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

This game rocks, for the record, digging it quite a bit, I think it'll probably take me a month to play through this.

Somebody asked about pinwheels earlier, not sure if answered, but I just came across one on a windy mountaintop in West Necluda. Going near it spawned some balloons which you shoot at with arrows to get a Korok, fun stuff

I love using ice cubes to go across rivers by the way, fun mechanic, Link's a bit of a wizard!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Is there a use for cold resistance food when you have the warm shirt thing from the guy? I made a bunch of low level spicy dishes before I got the shirt and still haven't used them. Should I keep saving it or eat it folks?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kashuno posted:

There are areas the shirt alone isn't enough

Zaphod42 posted:

There is cold and super cold. Super cold requires warm shirt plus warm food, or otherwise super warm food. (eating two normal warm food in a row does NOT work)

But then also, that warm clothing has poo poo armor. If you get clothing with really good defenses, if you have warm food, you don't have to take the armor off to put on your warm clothes. So save it isn't a bad plan.

But that said, you can always eat/sell it now and craft more later!

Thanks!

Question about doing a flurry rush (from side jump or backflip). I did it once or twice earlier, with a sword I think, but at the moment I get the slow-mo and mash Y, but only get one swing in. Trying it with both a one handed Boko club or two handed Boko Bat, since I don't have a sword currently. Trying it out on skeletons, Link only does one swing of the weapon at the end, most of the slow-mo is him just jumping while mashing Y doesn't do anything. Any ideas/tips?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Infinity Gaia posted:

Mash slower. More rhythmically. Try to match the flashing of the button or the speed of your swings (if doing a rush with a two handed weapon). If using a spear you can basically mash but you have to time it a bit better for the others.

That sounds like a good idea, also I just realized that the skeleton goes flying and falls apart after one hit, which could be why it's only doing one hit. I was just expecting the flurry to start sooner I guess, so I'll try this out on more durable enemies.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

spasticColon posted:

I need a break from this game I played for several hours already today and all day yesterday and I haven't even reached the first real dungeon yet. Guardians suck, getting knocked off your horse sucks, and cool weapons breaking after ~15 hits sucks and yet I'm still playing this loving game what the gently caress is wrong with me?

Here's my new idea for a thread title:

Breath of the Wild: Game Over, man. Game Over.

I haven't reached the first town yet, still only met one guy in the game so far, probably played at least ten hours. Bill Paxton was right for sure, game over man! Michael Biehn is also right, stay frosty.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I love that this game lets you save whenever you want and saves so often, it's a beautiful thing. That's my kind of challenge, you can have enemies that one shot you a lot, but it's all good you don't lose anything if you take a few tries. Plus if you want to stop playing and do something else, you don't lose progress, very nice

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I just came across that cool fire sword somebody mentioned earlier, haven't come across the quest they mentioned though, just ran into it. Pretty cool! I assume this'll break like any other weapon, so I'll save it for a special occasion.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 5, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zaphod42 posted:

It took me all drat day, but I climbed every single tower and I have the full map now.

I haven't even started the main quest after kakariko. I've been so busy just exploring.

Kudos, that is epic. I haven't been to Kakariko yet, only people I've run into are that one Stable west of there and people in the ruins area etc. I've probably played 15 hours or so total past two days.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Princeps32 posted:

Far enough in to the meat of the game that I am comfortable in putting this in my top 5 games of the last decade or so. Maybe that'll change with time, but I've been really shocked at how this game has engulfed me, in a way I haven't felt since probably Witcher 3? I think there are some real things to fault, and no it is not a "perfect game" whatever the hell that means. If you don't like open world games it's still an open world game, there is a (seriously small and situational) amount of framerate chugging, the voice acting is middling, and yeah you have to get used to your weapons breaking a lot as part of the game's system for keeping you invested in loot so you don't get bored of finding things.

but

I'm so impressed by how they've balanced the mechanics so you're never really lacking anything if you play smart, and yet you're always hunting for bigger advantages so you have the incentive to go off the beaten path to look for things, and you're always being shown something new, big or small. you're pretty rarely "farming" for stuff if you just take the time to pick things up as you run past. the game world is beautiful and compelling, and there's real variety and detail to it. and the combat is really well done and varied, and the puzzles inside the shrines are clever, and are you getting bored of this mountain well let's paraglide over a deep chasm to that other one and then there's a weird little magnet puzzle on the side of this desolate cliff, oh hey an adorable leaf sprite popped out and gave you a seed that you should get to that fat leaf sprite with the maracas, but he went to a location you haven't been yet? whatever better snowboard down on your cheapest shield into a moblin camp under you, then set off a sweet midair headshot on the archer in the tower before laying waste with a pitchfork you ripped out of one of their cold dead hands, oh nice five fire arrows in the reward chest you were down to your last one those're always useful, oh you're really close to that shrine you pinged ages ago and forgot about, wait where were you going originally, oh right that village that's way the hell off to the east, but maybe you should go to bed because its loving 4 am?

Very cool review, and I agree. And thank you for mentioning that midair headshot, that jogged my memory to having seen something cool in one of the trailers, I completely forgot about the slow-mo midair bow aiming until you said that.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Harrow posted:

Bought the Wii U version. Game owns. I was really surprised the first time I found a korok, too--are they always hiding near little mini-puzzles?

I don't know why but this game's world really is a blast to explore.

Hell yeah! The game gets better and better, always another exciting area to check out. I'm loving this glorious game I must say, they nailed it!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gotta love this game, you can spend an hour messing around pretty much every single step, exploring and looking for puzzles and cool stuff!

My favorite Korok puzzle so far is the one at the bridge on the way to the first town, that circle of rocks in the water. Since I missed the throw with the rock down there, was fun using ice blocks and boxes, climbing up, grabbing rocks from the bridge, falling back down below without dropping the rock, finally dunking one was very fun.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kirios posted:

Though...this isn't a game that's going to get hated on 2-3 months afterwards, ala a MGSV (Another excellent game, but one that has much more aggressive problems in my opinion). History is going to look back on this game very fondly, and if this is a game you don't like, I'd expect to have to defend your points every time it gets brought up.

I think history will look fondly on MGSV also, but it is all personal taste. Both of these are terrific games in my book. I spent 150 hours or so on that game, the gameplay is to me so good it's sublime. And I actually really liked the minimalist story as well.

parallelodad posted:

You know what's crazy? I've played this forty hours. I've done one dungeon.

Ditto, only I haven't even done the first dungeon yet. I've played a lot pretty much every day, and I only just got around to doing the Hateno stuff today. I did like how my exploring a bit in random directions for hours here and there paid off, since I recognized one of the far off memory photo ops I needed. Hot drat this game is good times.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 9, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Bardeh posted:

So I'm guessing 100% speedruns of this game aren't going to be a thing. All sidequests, all Shrines, all Koroks, all photographs - surely that's going to be dozens of hours at the very, very least.

Maybe an all-shrines run could be quite interesting, to see how fast people could trim that down to.

It's great that this huge game happens to make for great speedrunning (with the time at around an hour already), then all these variable options too. Mario 64 is still my fav speedrun game to watch, this could end up being right up there too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

parallelodad posted:

Voltron is a poor rip off of Super Sentai.

Technically speaking the Japanese Spider-Man TV show had a piloted super robot before Super Sentai did, and of course there was combining mecha anime like Getter Robo before that, and

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I actually did one of the Divine Beast dungeons last night! And got 13 hearts coincidentally. I still find it wild to see people playing other games already, I am not gonna be done with this for weeks. And I've played like 80 hours, lost count. This is one large game. I would buy a TRON laser motorcycle amiibo, that'd be my first amiibo. I think it should be a thing.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I couldn't figure out a shrine puzzle that involved keeping a button depressed to hold a gate open so I just piled a poo poo ton of rock salt on it until it worked.

gently caress rock salt. GotY.

I beat this game on March 3rd, the release date! But in 2018. But still! Over 200 hours! So I'd just like to chime in with my review now that I can. GOTY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Open Marriage Night posted:

Played my first hour last night, and after getting the sword, all I did was play the claw game and fish. Got the bottle, the dolls, and enough heart pieces (I got the one that was in the hole) to get an extra heart.

Game is so drat charming, I’m excited to actually start adventuring.

Right on, sounds like Yakuza with the mini-games. (granted Link maybe was around a little before Kiryu maybe)

That said, is the fishing optional in this? That fishing mini-game looks too intense for me. In Red Dead Redemption 2 I did a bit for the conversations/character building, but man am I bad at fishing. In Breath of the Wild I grabbed a few fish with my bare hands though.