Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

who is this person and why are they a reliable source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

wasn't a lot of her stuff inaccurate?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Earnestly posted:

No, not really.

I could have sworn there was a list of games and stuff for the Wii U that never materialized.

Like a Mother 3 localization.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There are no bad mainline Zeldas.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I found the game's difficulty pretty unbalanced, myself.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The way people have been dogging the English voice actors makes me wonder if anyone remembers what localized games and anime sounded like in the 90's

Or heck, even as recent as 10 years ago

What we've seen of the english version of BOTW is fine.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Cleretic posted:

Oh, I should clarify, I'm not just ripping on the English voice acting.

I think voice acting beyond grunts and shouts have no place in Zelda whatsoever. I don't care what language it's in.

I think it's silly to draw that line of delineation when characters have had extensive dialogue since the SNES era just because, but to each their own.

Now I will forever wonder what Ghirahim's "SICK WITH ANGER" rant would have sounded like with actual inflection. Alas.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

She sounds comparable to any other old ladies I've heard in cartoons and video games.

I think she's fine.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Cleretic posted:

It's really because, at this point, Zelda has been expertly working around not having extensive voice acting while still doing a great job of implying what everybody sounds like. In fact, because they've designed around short, non-language sounds as the extent of their voice acting, they've made the most of that. I thought I made a post here about that, but apparently I didn't. Providing some examples:

-Ganondorf's laugh. In OoT, crisp, clear and evil as poo poo, you need precisely no other words from him to know exactly what he sounds like when he's saying anything. In later games (I think starting in Twilight Princess) he's got a really raspy smoker's voice, which is a great fit for his character as being rough, severe, and way older than everyone, but wouldn't be fun to listen to at length.

-Skull Kid. Most of his lines are childish giggles, with the exception of that scream. It conveys his childishness without that taking over and decreasing his menace as an antagonist. The scream has extra effects, so it's clear he's something more when he's using the mask, but it's ambiguous where one ends and the other begins, as well as making it ambiguous for most of the game if the mask has a mind of its own or if it's just power making an rear end in a top hat little kid way worse. Indeed, you don't know until the mask casts him off before the moon section that it had any will of its own, and it's even got lines before it does that.

-Midna. It's not just the fact that she's not speaking in an earthly language that sets her apart from the rest of the game, it's that she's speaking at length, marking her as a clear outsider to Hyrule which has the style we're familiar with from older 3D Zeldas. The fact her voice is blatantly manipulated by various audio effects plays a part too, placing the style of her speech far more in-line with the weird unnatural tones of the Twilight Realms' music than Hyrule's more 'natural' orchestral stuff. But like with raspy Ganondorf, because it's not extensive or used for any actual dialog, it's allowed to stand as just an aesthetic effect instead of getting in the way of the story.

That's certainly well and good, and I agree with a lot of it, but in the case of Breath of the Wild, which is still recognizably Zelda while simultaneously trying to be very different, I don't feel like it's inappropriate or disloyal to the conventions of the series for this title, which is trying to simultaneously pay homage and redefine the conventions of the series, to use extensive voice action This Time.

Your approach is all well and good, but it doesn't have to be the only approach. It's not inherently superior. In the context of Breath of the Wild, you're waking up confused and lost in a Hyrule where everything is different. And the first thing you hear is spoken dialogue. I think that works for what they're doing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I like Zelda's design in BOTW because it's creative and makes Aaron Diaz's design for her look even worse.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

a webcomic author that did a concept for playable Zelda that turned her into Girl Link in a purple outfit.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rime posted:

I hope so, full voice acting is one of the most monumentally stupid decisions the games industry ever made.

I can't wait to catch every horse in Hyrule like they're Pokemon. :allears:

You can have five.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

I really hope there's a ton of quests and interesting people to find and help out there, I don't want the world to be loving dead and empty without poo poo to do outside of the main storyline quests.

There's something interesting around the corner in pretty much everything we've seen by now. Even if there's not, there's a ton of ways to kill Bokoblins.

I can't wait to go Wile E. Coyote on those fuckers

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Seriously I want to one day make a montage of Bokoblin murder set to Yakkity Sax.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

are we sure the bird people are Rito?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I just call them Falcos.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

MokBa posted:

I can't wait to watch videos of people beating Ganon in their shorts with only sticks and using all kinds of physics nonsense to speedrun.

"If you throw this boulder at just the right angle and bounce it off this bokoblin's skull, you can catapult yourself and glitch your way into Hyrule Castle."

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

the blue scarves mean this takes place in the same continuity as Hyrule Warriors.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Bombadilillo posted:

Everything takes place in the hyrule warriors continuity

Exactly!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Chef

Starring Goron Ramsay

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think what stands out more is that you run into things like that so early on in the game

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Looking forward to the 20 minute speed run where someone runs directly to ganon with 3 hearts and only the starter gear.

not even the starter gear

you can run out in nothing but your shorts

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

When did they say there's no gates and you can tackle Ganon straight away? I'm pretty sure there's going to be restrictions in place that don't allow you to go straight to him, though I'm sure people will find glitches to get around that.

Also, Ganon better just be a massive pig with a trident. Because I want a figma of him.

http://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/15/11942652/legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-ending

quote:

"Users may not actually get the full story depending on how they play this game and how they strategize and solve puzzles," producer Eiji Aonuma told Polygon. "Users are able to go to the very end goal without revealing why Link woke up the way he did and where he did. Whether you want to reveal the storyline and find out why Link woke up, or you want to just go straight to the goal, that's an option totally up to the user."

When asked, Aonuma confirmed that a player could go directly to the final boss of the game from its opening moments if they wanted. However, he also stressed that he didn't view this as an ideal way to play.

"Anybody who can go straight to the goal without doing anything else — there's two possibilities," Aonuma said. "Either they're a really good gamer, or they could be somebody that's a little bit crazy. But it's not impossible. I created the game like that.

"Maybe it might be fun for fans to compete in a challenge for who can clear it first."

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

spit on my clit posted:

gently caress that make anthony canon

... is he not already?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I love Twilight Princess.

And... I dunno. Personally, I think any gameplay concept that has Zelda basically subsuming and adopting Link's role diminishes her. Her getting the Master Sword instead, Link being the one kidnapped... that reduces her to Girl Link. Something focused on Zelda's unique abilities, like her magic and Sheikah training, would be far more appropriate.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I guess I'm just still annoyed at that stupid Aaron Diaz concept and might be over projecting.

But I dunno. Link does get some of that stuff yeah, but his core concept is the adventuring knight, yeah? He never goes full on mage, and he's certainly never been a ninja. A stronger, more absolute emphasis on those qualities instead of just dabbling in it like Link does is more what I was thinking.

But you do have a point. I'm just trying to clarify what I was thinking.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I guess you have a point.

But I'm gonna remain firm on the "Zelda is the adventurer and Link is the kidnapped one" is pretty lame. Zelda doesn't need to be turned into what Luigi is nearly every time he gets a solo game.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This is also true.

Look how about we just give Phantom Zelda her own game?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Aonuma did give an interview assuring people that Zelda would be a developed character in the game recently:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/01/princess_zelda_is_very_complex_and_multi-faceted_in_breath_of_the_wild_aonuma_explains

Let it be up to you whether you believe that or not.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Triskelli posted:

But as an aside, screw the old "guys get swords, girls get bows" paradigm. It just isn't Link/le if you don't default to sword & shield. My wish fulfillment would be giving us a Lunk with a bastard sword & kite shield for some more Souls-y combat and more traditional block puzzles/blowing stuff up, and a Lank with a buckler/saber combo with the standard button-mash that's about finding ways to traverse rooms Creed-style.

where does Lonk fit in?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Having to backtrack and dig up the location you're supposed to use an item doesn't sound interesting, it sounds like busy work.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm trying to figure out how this is any different from stuff like Poe souls or Agitha's bugs.

and thus, what the problem is supposed to be.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

It's just that 900 is a lot

I guess, but I'll imagine they're pretty dense. All of these were found on the plateau.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Instant Sunrise posted:

See, now I kinda want to get the OoT Link and Wind Waker Link Amiibos so I can randomly drop meat and/or fish on people.

this is a method of defeating Ganon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

New Super Luigi U was as good as a whole new game on its own and people still acted like the price they were asking for is outrageous.

They did that even when Nintendo started giving it away.

I just think fans don't have much of a good idea how much things are worth.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

There's no mental model for any of this. I cannot think of a single dungeon in any previous Zelda game that I would have paid even $10 for, let alone $20, and I've never once heard of paying for a difficulty option, especially not a couple months after release.

Metro Last Light, Dragons' Dogma, and Dying Light were all games that offered a "hard mode" as DLC at one point, based off of quick cursory research.

In any case, I'm thinking the value of that pack will be in the Cave of Trials, not the hard mode. It's like everyone is deliberately leaving that out of the discussion.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I like how upset Cat Peach seems to sound after it happened.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

it's a "cutesy"-sounding puppet voice on a segment for children.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm pretty sure kids watch a healthy amount of the video game content on YouTube in America AND Japan. They're a big part of why that stuff has exploded in number the last few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

spoilers for the best thing