Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

This game is going to own so hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Wonder what the story is behind Zelda having the same kind of tunic and equipment as Link

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mahoning posted:

So is the voice acting only during cutscenes? Because it seems the NPCs are the same old grunts and other noises with on screen text for dialogue.

A while ago they said it'd only be for important cutscenes, yes

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Megasabin posted:

Err, what? I don't think Zelda is a game that needs full voice acting, but other games having it is not a mistake if it's done correctly. For example all the banter in Final Fantasy XV was a pretty integral part of the game experience.

I mean, full voice acting kinda ruined Fallout 4 forever

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Electric Phantasm posted:

Blue seems to be a major color choice. Wonder if it's an aesthetic reason.

I'm sensing a fair bit of Princess Mononoke influence there (and also with the overall aesthetic of the game)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Harrow posted:

Yeah, not too sure why he's right-handed this time. I understand why they had to do that for Skyward Sword, but when you're controlling link with a normal controller, there's no reason he has to be right-handed. (I still don't really know why they had to mirror the Wii version of Twilight Princess--it's not like the sword swings were one-to-one there, you just flick the wiimote to swing, it's practically a replacement for a button press and didn't really require Link's sword arm to be on the same side of the player's body as the wiimote is. :shrug:)

Considering the right-handed Link and the sword-swinging animations being similar to Skyward Sword's, maybe there was a point in time where they were going to use motion controls for the game, and these are leftovers from that phase of development?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't recall taking 4 hearts unless I was playing on Hero Mode though.

There are definitely enemies that will do that much damage to green tunic Link. On hero mode, those hits would deal 16 hearts unmitigated. And iirc the final boss has an attack that does 6-8 hearts base damage, translating into a straight one shot on hero mode (again, before Armor is taken to account.)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It would be pretty cool if there was a part of the story where you played as Zelda because Link is indisposed or something for some reason, the trailer does show Zelda having to protect Link from a big guardian.

spit on my clit posted:

in an effort to please all the players, nintendo has made Dragon Ball Z canon to the zelda universe by having link and zelda fuse via the potara earrings. Their name is Linda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZsA2tF8noM

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 16, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

youcallthatatwist posted:

I mean i doubt botw is suddenly going to become super difficult. Bokoblins only do a quarter heart of damage to you and all of the enemies have suuuuuuper slow reaction times. Some of them basically just stand there while you hit them.

They're sure as hell more aggressive than in other games at least

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Evil Eagle posted:

Oh right, Oracles are before LA. I always get that backwards.

Are they?
*checks*
Huh, they are. Kinda an arbitrary distinction, based on the in-game lore they just vaguely take place around the same time don't they? I always thought it was cool that the Gameboy games are the same Link from ALTTP just traveling around the world and getting involved in various different adventures.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

This otherwise fairly innocuous Switch commercial surprisingly features Link discovering a new form of transportation, about 20 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3XmVt27RI4

This game is going to be very good.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You mean the sandsurfing thing? It was in the switch event trailer.

Really? I didn't notice it there

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Twilight Princess is kinda a bad game

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bombadilillo posted:

Ive watched his whole series and what Ive learned, is that outside of like 2 dungeons, the mythical Zelda Dungeon he loves DOES NOT EXIST.

Actually, you will find it does exist and there are a good deal more than 2 examples of it throughout the series

TFRazorsaw posted:

Aonuma did give an interview assuring people that Zelda would be a developed character in the game recently:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/01/princess_zelda_is_very_complex_and_multi-faceted_in_breath_of_the_wild_aonuma_explains

Let it be up to you whether you believe that or not.

I thought that was pretty obvious, the trailer pretty strongly suggested she would be the center of character development in this game

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 19, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bombadilillo posted:

Not according the that series. actually.

2D Zeldas still count

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bombadilillo posted:

He dislikes all of them for various reasons, that the ones he like "do one or 2 things right" but still fall short of expectations.

You should rewatch the series then? Of course none of the games are going to be perfect but he names plenty of dungeons that have good and complex designs. It kinda just sounds like you're overreacting to Zelda games being criticized a bit.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

s.i.r.e. posted:

But there wasn't any character development in Other M.

Yep, they point out all the issues she has and then the game ends with her having not moved forward to overcome those issues in the slightest, no character development there.

Mr Phillby posted:

I'm still confused over the why he dislikes WW for cutting out backtracking but likes Minish Cap for the same reason. The only real difference is that in MC you get the item halfway through the circle instead of at the end.

The backtracking in WW was essentially funneling you toward the solution to a puzzle, rather than just working as a convenience.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Throughout the game the player will walk past numerous signs. Link will, unprompted by the player, proceed to read those signs out loud and then add in a thoughtful "Hmm..." or a sarcastic "Hm." at the end.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Infinitum posted:

Things I must admit before starting Breath of the Wild

I have not played the following Zelda titles :negative:

Console games
Majora's Mask - Not played at all
Windwaker - Got like... 80% of the way through the main story
Skyward Sword - Missed it entirely

Handhelds
Oracle series - Not touched at all. I have them on my 3DS tho.. should play.
Minish Cap - Remember emulating it, but not getting far into it
Spirit Tracks - Like... 90% of the way through it.

Never touched the 4 Swords or TriForce Heroes games.

:negative:

Currently replaying Link Between Worlds on Hero difficulty and it is as fun as it was the first time.

Majora's Mask and Oracle of Seasons and Ages are extremely good

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MadHat posted:

They appear to just be "Find the Korok" So basically just a reward for exploring random locations that do not necessarily have a bigger reason to get to, like I think the ones we saw in the Plateau included getting to the top of the Temple of Time and Diving into a conspicuous circle in a lake.

Example Video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO-a5fwForU

this seems like pretty standard dumb open world collectible bullshit
not that its mere presence is a big deal or anything
at least they seem to be placed in actual landmarks?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'd be down for the classic green tunic being a reward for the korok stuff.

*throws Wii U, BOTW, and Switch out the window*

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I want to see speedrunners come up with cool tech that exploits the physics engine. I mean, you can use a boulder and a horizontal beam to catapult yourself up into the air!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

probably buying this game twice tbqh

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I hope you can turn the HUD (or at least the minimap) off in this game. I don't need any drat handholding!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Does the randomizer regularly spit out unwinnable garbage or is it coded like Spelunky not to do that or what

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lemming posted:

God drat, I can't believe I'm going to be playing this game on my Switch in less than a month and a half

me neither because I'll be playing it on my Wii U in a month and a half

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Read through the Gameinformer article, some very interesting and promising stuff was mentioned.
I want this game to be out already!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Breath of the Wild's art style is pretty much perfect

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Flippinlikebirds posted:

Unrelated, but Skyword Sword Link looks stupid. What were they thinking with those baggy pants?

They were thinking that it would be a great idea to re-use a bunch of stuff from Twilight Princess and just change it around from there to make a different art style.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Theory content creators have broken containment and are engaging the creators with "Link was dead the entire time" questions.

https://twitter.com/ZackScott/status/829348905242353664

ew, gross

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Keiya posted:

"Link is dead" always seemed really weird to me. Dead people don't experience grief, and Majora's Mask has a VERY clear stages-of-grief theme.

The game theory guys who put out this dumb idea pointed out the stages-of-grief theme, both oversimplifying it so the shoe would fit better and jumping to the conclusion of "grief is a theme therefore link is coming to terms with his own death"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

"If you're not careful, Link can get struck by lightning. During a storm, Link will want to unequip his metal weapons and items."

I'm not sure if that's clever or annoying as hell.

You can throw your sword at an enemy's feet do bait the lightning towards them, I'll go with "clever"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

I hope your switch falls into the ocean and you never get one.

If never gets one how is his Switch falling into the ocean :confused:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Beedle was already mentioned before though?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

when do onox and veran come back

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Didn't Minish Cap come afterwards?
Also, Hyrule Warriors

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Day 1 patch to fix an issue where the Deku Tree does not say "thee" or "thou"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015