Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

Zas posted:

and yet I bet you anything it'll be a tight coherent package, something link is known for

for real the last time I was this excited about a zelda at e3 was when I was a tween with a nintendo website downloading wind waker videos from nintendo's 'media server' which made me feel very important

oh yeah, still stoked as hell for it. seems like they took the best elements from all of those games and put them into something beautiful.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So. NWPlayer, hacker that is best known for datamining Splatoon and uncovering and making videos of weapons before they came out, basically is helping out a guy leak out the E3 demo. This guy just shoved an SD card into a Wii U at E3, copy/pasted the 16gig demo and now they're working together to get it out there, apparently it'll be out tomorrow and you'll need a modded Wii U for that.

where'd you see this? I haven't seen her post anything about it

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
I think my biggest concern is not with this game specifically, but with what happens after. How are they possibly gonna top what's looking to be the definitive 3D Legend of Zelda?

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
The subtleties in this game are amazing. Little details like that chest kick, Link's shivering animation, or how he flinches and covers his eyes at a bomb blast really display the kind of passion the team is putting into it.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah as much as I enjoyed Mario Galaxy, that's pretty much all I want from Mario at this point. Just Mario 64-2.

Mario 128.

God, could you imagine an open-world Mario where all the stars are available to collect from the get-go

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
I think Breath of the Wild is the perfect illustration of the age-old gamedev adage that ideas are worthless and execution is everything. None of its mechanics are particularly innovative individually, but the way Nintendo synthesized them, and the absurd level of polish and passion they put into them, elevate the game head-and-shoulders above most other open-world titles.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

mabels big day posted:

It's going to be the best game ever made.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

Comrade Fakename posted:

It occurred to me that it will be interesting to see how Nintendo makes an open world game like that work without a real progression system. Every other similar game has you gaining XP (of a sort at least) over the game that you can put into increasing you health and other attributes. Presumably this game still uses heart containers to increase health (although we haven't seen any), but what about other factors like speed or stamina, Will they tied into gear or items? Or are you going to go through the whole game with a fairly similar Link? I can't wait to see what they do.

I imagine it'll be similar to how Terraria does it; the gear that you find naturally gets better as you conquer more challenging areas, and the ores and ingredients you have to work with increase in quality, creating a more item-based progression system.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

Brumaldo posted:

All I care about is performance. If the game's gonna run smoother on the NX I'm probably going to wait, considering I don't have a wiiu.

The WiiU and NX versions are gonna be released simultaneously iirc, so you won't have to wait

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

thanks alot assbag posted:

Meaning they'll wait until they have $800 saved up, which the NX will cost.

There hasn't been a Nintendo Console in the last 20 years that's cost more than $300, so I'm sure they'll probably be keeping up with tradition in that department

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
I'm really trying not to overhype this for myself but this really does seem like the game the whole Legend of Zelds series has been culminating in

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

jivjov posted:

Random request: The cool gif of Link jumping off the horse, using fire for an updraft and OHKOing one of the guardians...does anyone know where the source video for that is? Like, where during Treehouse it was?

In the “Beyond the Plateau” gameplay footage, around 23:30, they show off some prerecorded gameplay clips, and that GIF is one of them

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

Infinitum posted:

Holy poo poo it's Monster Hunter as well :psyduck:

There's so much to do in just the first zone :psyboom:

96 other shrines + dungeons + gigantic map :allbuttons:

I was worried that they were biting off more than they could chew with such a huge map, but apparently this is the biggest team Nintendo's ever put together for one game, and they're recruiting 100 employees from Monolith Soft to help them out, so I think they can fill the world with plenty of interesting stuff.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

Suspicious Dish posted:

yeah, there are close to 300 people working on this game alone, from four different companies, it's absolutely insane. must be one of the biggest budgets for any video game, ever.

just crunched the numbers, and if you were even just going off of the assumption that everyone was only getting paid the industry average (US $83,060), that's still $83,060 * 300 people * 5 years, or $124,590,000, and that's not even including marketing, which I'd assume would probably double that or at least add significantly to it.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

Hedrigall posted:

Someone overlaid the map with the one on the gamepad screen from the first gameplay reveal ages ago.

I can't wait to explore the coast! :swoon: I really hope there's a swimming mechanic even close to the one in Majora's Mask.

Holy poo poo
You're totally gonna get a boat in this game
I can't wait to sail down rivers for hours omg

Also that skull is really intriguing

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

8-bit Miniboss posted:

There's videos of rafts being used with a Korok leaf to propel it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCBgyRC9i6w&t=1281s

Oh yeah, I saw the rafts, but I think there'll probably be more efficient forms of water transportation further in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

Ashsaber posted:

Yeah, Link is probably a clone or something here. I mean there's been talk from the devs about discovering the origins of this Link and you wake up in a 'Resurrection chamber' that has a funky big machine in it that drains blue fluid from around you. I think its less that Link was asleep for 100 years and more that they just made a new one.

Could you imagine Ganon siccing an army of Link clones on you