Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

I've never been too interested in the timeline, but the part right before Wind Waker, "Hyrule Is Sealed and Then Flooded", would make a killer ending to a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I'm looking to just download this off the Wii U store when it releases but I've never actually waited for a Nintendo game to be released online. Does anyone know if they'll post it Thursday night at midnight? I am looking forward to playing this game

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

spasticColon posted:

Does the digital version of the game unlock at midnight local time or midnight Pacific time?

I've been looking for any solid info about a digital release and haven't found anything :smith:

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Having issues early in the storyline - so I made it to Zora's domain and I have to go kill that Lyonel. I read somewhere online that you don't actually have to kill it, but whatever, I'd really rather kill it if it's reasonably possible. This thing has probably killed me a dozen times and I'm sorta losing my patience. When you guys killed this thing, what was your life meter at? I have five hearts. Did you use elixirs to up your defense and damage? Is it just a matter of trial and error to try to time the flurries right or what?

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Harrow posted:

drat it. But also I checked my posts in this thread just now and it's twice which doesn't seem that egregious, but anyway sorry

I enjoyed your horse story :unsmith:

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

raditts posted:

The Ocarina of Time works the same way.

I love this

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't get it, can someone explain it to me?

Long story short - it was a failed goon-made RPG with time-travel elements. It included this famously silly anecdote to explain time travel:

Johnny "Five Aces posted:

“When the object enters the timestream, time begins to correct itself. Let me use this example: Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the ball nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball. The formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff."

Time works the same way.

You'll often see people play on this on the forums. Usually in the form of, "Imagine _________ on the edge of a cliff," or "_________ works the same way."

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

So I swim up a waterfall in West Necuda and I end up giving Farosh a kiss on the nose before getting lightning to death.

This exact same thing happened to me! Luckily I had a fairy or something because I ended up surviving, but barely. That was right after I got the item that allows you to do this, as well, so it was a pretty awesome "this game is amazing" moment.

(unrelated)

So I decided I didn't want to do any of the Divine Beasts until I had the Master Sword. Took a little while, but I ended up getting the Master Sword last night so today I went back to Zora's Domain to do that dang elephant. The attack on the divine beast where you're riding on Sidon's back was legitimately fun and action packed. It was a great change of pace since I've spent the last ~15 hours just exploring. Chalk me up as another Sidon fanboy.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Noticed something about stables this evening, not sure if anyone has brought it up although I'm sure people itt have done it. Don't be too worried about leaving your horses in the middle of nowhere - when you go back to a stable and take out one of your other horses, the horse that's currently out in the world is automatically returned.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

I got up to 5 hearts then put two upgrades into stamina - been all hearts since then. Honestly I think once I get up to two full stamina circles I'll be done with stamina.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Spergatory posted:

I really wish this wasn't in rhyming couplets, or at the very least, that there was a text version. I want to engage with it but the way it's delivered is just making me cringe way too hard.

I was just about to make this exact post. I think he was making pretty reasonable points, but the couplets were driving me crazy. My early reaction to the part of the review I could actually stomach is that it seems like he really tried to 100% this game, I mean he played over 100 hours, and his concern is that it gets repetitive. Is there a game that isn't repetitive after 100 hours? Whenever I play open world games I try to stay pretty aware of my own enjoyment of it, and mix in storyline stuff with sidequests and "grinding" flavored activities so I can choose to beat it when I think I'm getting sick of it.

Admittedly, I didn't watch the whole review,
because it was a nightmare to listen to.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

The weapon durability bugged me until I started thinking of them as guns with ammunition. I pretty much never think about it anymore since I came up with a simple strategy for keeping my weapons stash in decent shape.

One review I read said that you should always use your best weapon because you'll be getting another one soon enough, but I disagree with that. I usually use my most average weapon, because the most common battles are about average difficulty, and they're the weapons you're usually going to be picking up. I have 2-3 cool weapons that I save for fights I think might require them, and otherwise I don't sweat it at all.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

Here is a very good video about this game's music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FWVKu1gnWs

I particularly liked the look at how Tarrey Town's music changes over the course of the quest, something I was generally aware of but hadn't noticed the specifics.

Great video! Thanks for sharing.

On the topic of great tunes from the game, can someone share the paragliding contest song again? I can't seem to find it on youtube.

Edit: Found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ecM_TSfXIQ

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 23, 2017

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

I decided to go for my next divine beast last night, so I figured I'd finally try to climb death mountain. I'd never spent any time there. As usual, I forgot that this game doesn't really want you to "quickly" do anything if you're going through a new area you haven't explored. So instead I only made it about halfway up, and spent two hours or so just exploring, getting gems and koroks, two shrines, and killing baddies. It's really refreshing to be so far in a game and still feel encouraged and rewarded for taking some time to just gently caress around and explore.

My horse did burn to death though :smith: RIP Epona v.1

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Spergatory posted:

Does anybody know the point of Makar Island? Spoilered just in case, though there isn't really any story stuff: It's an island beside the Lost Woods that the wind tries really hard to keep you from paragliding to. When you get there, it's just a dead tree, a rock, some barren landscape, a burnt out campfire, and... bones. Piles of bones. I lifted the rock expecting a Korok. Nothing. So on a whim, I decided to light the campfire and wait until night.

I was greeted with a loving Skeleton Orgy. Like two or three of every kind of Stal-enemy crawled out of the ground at the same time and tried to gang-bang me with dragonbone weapons and ice and bomb arrows. It was kind of insane. I figured something would happen if I killed them all, but... nothing. Is that all that Makar Island has to offer? Just a Skeleton Dance Party for anybody dumb enough to camp there?

Same. I poked around online to see if anyone had any insight, and it's zilch. The island is just sort of a "gently caress you" and that's it, as far as anyone seems to know.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

I needed to farm ancient gears so I finally went to the area around Hyrule Castle to find some guardians. Besides the fact that there are, in fact, a ton of guardians there, it's also just a really fantastically designed area. The absolute ruin of that area is a nice reminder of just how bleak this game's setting really is. I'm really enjoying just wandering around, I haven't even gone in the castle yet.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

edit: beaten :argh:

Wildtortilla posted:

How do you even get to Eventide early on?

If you go to the shrine that's closer to the coast, there's a raft and a korok leaf so you can easily sail there. I went there way early in the game and gave up. :(

Beat it two days ago, though.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Nice writeup, thanks for taking the time. I agree with a lot of your analysis although weapon durability just doesn't bother me. I understand why it bothers some, though. I think there probably could have been a happy medium. What if there was a blacksmith in some town who (for a price) could make any weapon unbreakable? At first, you could only hold a single unbreakable weapon, but you could use Korok seeds to convert up to 4 of your weapons spaces to be able to hold unbreakable weapons. Then, your unbreakable weapons act essentially like the master sword, where they take damage and slowly degrade (but are never completely destroyed, only rendered unusable), then you go back to the blacksmith to repair them.

This would also open the door to adding modifications to your unbreakable weapons - elemental and otherwise. Imagine a bow modification that allowed you to shoot arrows that had octorok balloons attached to them, causing the enemy to float into the sky when they're hit. Or a poison sword modification that made enemies turn on each other once their health got down to a certain point.

It's probably all overkill and possibly undermines the real point of the game, but it's fun to think of.

I totally agree with the "Adventure Engine" idea. Once I beat the main storyline of the game, I went back to just having random adventures and it's a really unique and fun experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Unmature posted:

You can also do this.

At first glance I was like, "who cares", but then I realized where this was.