Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I don't know how I feel about all these new aspects to Zelda. Cooking food, crafting, wearing appropriate clothing for the climate you are in. Game will be amazing, but this new stuff just seems so odd to me.

Also, these fuckers are going to make me get Twilight Princess to get wold link aren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So are the Animal Crossing Amiibo cards the cheapest way to get free loot in this game?

Look like you can buy 6 for $6 on Amazon, and there are 4 series for 24 cards total

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I played for 5 hours today, unlocked 2 towers and I think 2 shrines. Man, there is so much to do in this game in just exploring. I haven't even gotten to any of the dungeons yet.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Ciaphas posted:

Even with the hint from the guy on where the first memory is it took me two hours to actually get there and fail to find a shrine to be able to get back to that area without taking another hour.

I hate exploration in games. Just not my bag. :(

You don't really need to find them, and they are designed to slowly be found through the story.

If anything, just look up where the one is near the Great Plateau, get your side quest reward, and not worry about it so much.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

s.i.r.e. posted:

Wind Waker doesn't have much exploration though, the sea is vast but 90% of it is empty with most islands being the size of a sedan and it's collectibles blocked behind an item you probably don't have. Sailing the sea is fun (once you get the faster sail) but there isn't much to find.

Which is why I love BOTW. I hate that bullshit of oh, there is this whole part of the map over here, but you need the hammer to break the huge rock to get there.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I know I am not up to 80 hours like some of you guys. But I'm at 30 hours, and only even explored like 30% of the map if I had to take a decent guess. I probably spent the past 3 evenings just exploring the NW region of the map, getting shrines and seeds. I also have one Beast finished as well.

I feel like this game is going to take me well beyond the release of Mario Kart

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

along the way posted:

I just spent 45 minutes playing golf in a shrine.

Second hole for the treasure chest accounted for 40 of those 45 minutes.

I never want to play BotW golf again.

After I broke all my weapons the first time, I went to YouTube to see if the reward was worth it. Then I just did it exactly how I saw it in the video.

I usually don't like getting help on this type of stuff, but the only way I'd be taking 45 minutes to figure that one out is if there was some special armor at the end.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

PantsBandit posted:

The first lynel is the point where, if you haven't been bothering to use food buffs or upgrade armor, you can hit kind of a brick wall. It's cool though because it encourages you to use all the systems to prepare for the fight, kinda like The Witcher.

Yeah. That was the first time I felt the need to start using all of that food I have been holding on to but not actually using

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

If you keep simply choosing the weapon storage option, how many melee weapons are you able to hold after collecting 900 seeds? .

I beleive there are 11 melee, 8 bows, and 16 shield upgrade slots

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Tests of Strength are cool, because the guardians regenerate after the blood moon and you can get their weapons again.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Colorspray posted:

Sometimes you'll find caves of nodes along beaches and get lots of gems in there. A good recommendation earlier in the thread was to hunt animals in the Hebra mountains, cook meats in stacks of 5, and sell that. No money problems ever after I started selling food. Don't know if you're hoarding every item like a madman, but cooking and selling ingredients is a good way to make a quick buck if you're drowning in stacks of 90+ meat like I was. 99% of it was from self defense too, wolves are annoying.

I did the snow bowling for like a solid hour and made about 15,000 rupees, just so I could get some armor set. Then I found out one of the great fairies required 10,000 rupees and did it again to unlock that. I haven't really sold anything though, been holding onto gems and monster parts for upgrades, and probably sitting on a ton of meat and stuff thanks to amiibo drops.

I guess I could have farmed Stone Taluses, but I didn't want to bother with it... for some reason, I'd rather upgrade my gear, even if I don't use it.

For Snow Bowling, I found that if I target the dude, stand directly behind him, tap down twice to back up, then throw the snowball... it's an instant strike like 95% of the time.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So how many star fragments should I farm to just be done with it? Considering I've played 60 hours and not ran across a single one, I might as well do this for an hour and get all I need

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Dr. Stab posted:

Anywhere between 0 and 156. Probably just 3, though.

Took me 30 minutes to find someone posted a Google Doc with all the material needed for upgrades...

So to answer my own question, between 14 and 80

BotW Sets:
Wild Set - 3 star fragments
Ancient Set - 3 star fragments

BOTW Head Gear:
Topaz Earrings - 2 star fragments
Diamond Circlet - 2 star fragments
Ruby Circlet - 2 star fragments
Sapphire Circlet - 2 star fragments

Amiibo Sets:
Wind Set - 12 star fragments
Hero Set - 12 star fragments
Time Set - 12 star fragments
Twilight Set - 12 star fragments
Sky Set - 12 star fragments

Amiibo Head Gear:
Sheik's Mask - 10 star fragments

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 7, 2017

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This game needs more dungeons like Hyrule Castle, with good bosses and mini bosses. It's a shame that a Lynel fight where you are trapped in a room is tougher than any of the Divine Beasts end bosses.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

GobiasIndustries posted:

Of course the last shrine I find is the blood moon one. Is there anything I can do to trigger one?

The time window during which a blood moon is active (and therefore when this quest can be completed) is from 9:00 PM until 1:00 AM

If you miss it, you can always revert back to an earlier auto save and make your way over there

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

yamdankee posted:

Oh you gotta take it to the fairy and everything to get the upgrade? I thought set bonus implied a bonus because you have the set. Yet again it's proven I'm an idiot.

When I stumbled upon the tech lab I had expended no significant effort in going out of my way to find cores or other parts and I found it pretty early in the game. So I got most of the sheikah upgrades right away, but as far as the ancient armor sets, you're probably going to need to spend some more time playing and get them naturally or :spergin: and run around hyrule castle and lomei labyrinth farming them.

Or just spawning guardian amiibo drops.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

robot roll call posted:

I liked it because I took this game to be at the way end of the timeline and he ditched all that poo poo eons ago. At this point he's just a malevolent force. I liked the little nod Urbosa gave to him assuming the form of a Gerudo long ago and I was actually pretty creeped out by his first form's' kind of human corpse face. The second form was easy as poo poo but it looked awesome and it was pretty cool to get the light bow.. It felt like a good capper to me but maybe a lot of that is because I beat every shrine and went in there with the classic Link outfit, Master Sword and Hylian Shield.

I just finished the game today. 75 hours and apparently only 23% of the map unlocked.

Final battle was cool, but man was it easy. I will admit I went in with the best armor fully upgraded, best shield, best sword, ate a food for extra hearts, drank a portion for 3x Attack for 30 minutes. I was loving ready for this epic showdown. And then so disappointed to see that it was barely a challenge. Never even went through my initial hearts or used

I mean, I know I was super powered up, but there was no trick to the final battle I though, it was essentially the first phase of reflect the beam, attack with the sword. Divine beasts took away half the damage so it barely took any time. Second phase was essentially running around him and using the bow and arrow to hit glowing spots. Ganon never even touched me, though my horse died

I was totally hoping for some final form that was more human, and would be on the same par of difficulty as some of the Lynel fights. But nope... I can totally see how people can do this as a speed run with no extra hearts or armor now.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

s.i.r.e. posted:

In Breath of the Wild it's just "He's the ultimate evil force and he destroyed stuff but now he's just chilling in Hyrule Castle because... well we don't really know." I never really felt that Ganon was a threat to the world and the world doesn't feel like it was left in ruin because of a great disaster, it just looks like everyone fled and poo poo was left to crumble because no one took care of things.

Well... Zelda has been holding Ganon back for the past 100 years in the castle

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ProjektorBoy posted:

The only part that gave me pause yesterday was the game having a sense of humor by placing a Guardian next to a Hynox just east of the Ranch Ruins.

I feel like that was a character-building moment for players and they should stumble upon it by themselves so they can learn some lessons.

I've yet to see this in the game, but it seems awesome...

https://gfycat.com/RequiredAstonishingAmurminnow

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I want a realistic, down-to-earth Zelda that's completely off-the-wall and swarming with magic robots

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

MustelaFuro posted:

I'm looking for ways to extend the life of this game. I've got 575 Korok seeds and they are starting to get hard to stumble across. So, does anyone want to race?

I ran from Akallah Research lab to the Gerudo Fairy fountain in 30:07:16. No fast travel or speed boost potions; only running, shield surfing, horse riding, and paragliding. Anyone care to challenge my time? It's pretty fun, though the weather can really gently caress you up. A walker lost me probably 20 seconds because it kept shooting me off a wall I was trying to climb. I probably should have killed it, but I foolishly just kept trying to climb out of its range.

Just did it in 30:06:57. Better luck next time!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I was pleasantly surprised on the great plateau when I had to chop down a tree and use the tree as a bridge to cross a gap. A bit disappointed that this was the only place it ever really needed to be done. I guess the glider kind of breaks that mechanic

I also remember attempting Eventide when I had like 5 hearts. I need to revisit it again

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

thatguy posted:

Are there any cutscenes that you can trigger directly after saving and loading? If there are I think you could screw up the game pretty spectacularly.

If you do the paragliding long distance challenge into the final room with Gabon, it puts up a bubble that you can't leave, yet the game takes you back to the tower when you touch the ground. Apparently the world is then empty with no enemies, and no way to enter that room to face Ganon

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

well why not posted:

Yeah I'm thinking that the couple months wait will be enough to get me ready for another playthrough.

I really do wish they'd release some details as to what Hard Mode will exactly be. Is it just damage bumped? Smarter enemies? Beedle doesn't sell arrows? Higher prices in stores? Durability for clothing?

It could be anything at this stage.

The only thing that sounds fun for me is smarter enemies. Damage bumps seems pointless in a game where you can control how many heart containers you have and decide not to wear armor.

Most of the fun is just exploring the world. Since the shrine locations can be kind of arbitrary, maybe mix up where they are located so we have to find them all again?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Calaveron posted:

I miss miiverse
Any game that incorporated miiverse drawings only benefited from it
I think
I hope I can't recall very well
Miiverse was super well moderated right?

I want to leave virtual graffiti in other people's Hyrule

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Parrotine posted:

So I dun goofed up and scanned in my Link amiibo before finding a stable :doh:

Not sure where I did it, but afterwards I died a little later and lost Epona somewhere in the wild, and every time I rescan the amiibo it just gives me a treasure chest.

Is Epona a one-time only scan? That would have been a very good thing to have known beforehand Nintendo, do I gotta start fresh just to get my drat horse back? :staredog:

I've heard its a one time scan, but also heard there is a very small percentage that you can get Epona again. In all my experience of almost daily scans since day one, I have not gotten a second Epona with the same Amiibo. That said, scanning a whole new Link Amiibo will give you Epona again for sure.

There is also a way to get your Epona back that involves finding the horse god fairy

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Reinanigans posted:

There's a lot of lakes there...could you elaborate? Is there a specific time of day? Do I need to go to Gerudo Mountains first?

Sorry, I just remembered that spring was one of the last things I found on my first playthrough even though it was near the beginning of the game.

Just go search YouTube for a video of where to go. There are like a half dozen good places for each dragon

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is there a list anywhere of the type of Korok seed puzzles?

I just learned from a YouTube video that you can get them by shooting apples off trees with arrows? Um... how is that supposed to be obvious.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

GobiasIndustries posted:

What's the amiiboo spoofer thing that Gamestop sells? I'd like to pick one up if one of my local gamestops has them in stock.

You meant that thing you can use to make legal backups of the Amiibo that you legally own, and restore those .bin files to a rewritable NFC disc thing?

http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/accessories/amiibo-action-replay-powersaves/127307

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yeah this.

I mean it's more "hey I haven't been to this hill before oh hey there's a Korok puzzle" than a gotta catch them all sort of thing.

Now that I'm done with the game and have diminished interest, I just took a section of the map and marked where all the Korok Seeds were located and I swear I picked up 40 in about 2 hours of playing. It's kind of motivating to get back into the game and explore areas like mountain tops that I never visited before and see some of the sights. I don't really care if I don't get them by honestly seeking them out. But I am having more fun doing it that way than trying to explore every mountain top and finding nothing.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
That's the 3 horns a minute strategy, never snow bowl again

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Once you beat the game, there should be some NPC you can just pay money to mark shrines and seeds on the map.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

yamdankee posted:

You seem to be approaching the game from a linear mindset. The game is designed much less to farm things, but just have fun exploring the amazing world and come by all these things naturally during your adventure. If you view it like that it's a bit less stressful than the "ok i need x amount of this to get this" approach. Happy hunting! :cheers:

There are some exceptions though. You are not going to get the dragon horns/scales or the star fragments you need by just playing the game. It's worth it to spend an hour to farm that poo poo so that you have it when you need it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The master sword is nice for stasis launching poo poo so I don't break my fun weapons doing it

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

yamdankee posted:

Finally took the jump to kill Ganon last night, so I have to make the obligatory post about it. only 36% completed map. I couldn't believe it. I thought I delayed and delayed so much that it'd have been at least 50%.

The only things that affect the completion rate are:

Seeds collected
Shrines completed
Bosses defeated
Locations discovered

Each item is .08%, and the Korok Seeds make up 72% of that 100%. You could have done everything in the games and got half the Korok seeds to max out your inventory, and the game would still say you've done 64% of the game

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

I'm currently in the farming phase of this lovely game...

...I'm at 95 shrines and ~140 korok seeds, I believe.

You don't need to farm. Just play the game, find the shrines, get seeds until you tire of it... you'll eventually get all the stuff you need.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Jack B Nimble posted:

I had no idea that was even a thing. I get the feeling I don't actually know much about the game I just beat, that it has depths I could spend another ~month exploring.

I'm curious what people think of the weapon durability mechanic? I think it had an important place in the game mechanics, limiting your exploration and keeping you from getting too comfortable with any one weapon, but overall I'm left wishing they'd done it just a bit differently. Two things I expected to be in the game that didn't happen were the "racial weapons" you gain didn't regen and that you couldn't buy weapons in town. I spent a lot of mental energy in play through trying to keep myself equipped with "civilized" or even "noble" weapons, and I would have invest a lot more time into the games economy if a swing through Hateno village could nab me, say, traveler swords @ $100 each or soldier swords for $300. As it stands I had this weirdly lopsided game experience; at first I was smashing goblins in the face with their own stupid atatls in between ransacking Hateno and Koriko for rakes but then, without even really noticing it, I suddenly had "royal" this and "guardian" that and sadly I think the big difference was that I stopped fighting unless I really had to. I ran away from a lot of enemies unless I had some actual reason to clear out an area, and that's not a decision I wish the game's mechanics had steered me towards.
I noticed that in whatever path I took towards dueling peaks that there a lot of camps where you had to defeat all the enemies for the chest to spawn. I feel like that somehow went away, which made me do less fighting encounters.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Sam Faust posted:

I'm pretty sure if they're not a shrine quest shrine, they will show on your radar and you can just get to them normally.

Well today I just did the one with the person laying on the actuator to open the shrine that was a shrine quest, but the shrine was already popped up. So there is at least that one.

I know the sensor doesn't work when you need to do something to make it pop out of the ground.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

DaveKap posted:

That's the thing, though. When you compare what tools were probably put into building this game and the amount of time and effort that would be needed to create a "series of 45 battle rooms" for what will amount to over 10 million dollars in sales, it is a seriously small amount of effort vs the amount of income that it will receive.

Resources are finite though. Instead of that team working on DLC for $20, that is limited to people that own a WiiU/Switch and those that own BOTW... they could spend that time working on BOTW2 or some brand new game that will get $60.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I decided to unlock about 16 shrines and then run through them all on my commute this morning.

Of course... about 1/3 were tests of strength that are just a joke now, and another 1/3 were the ones where they just give you the orb. I got through 15 of the 16 within an hour.

20 more shrines to go! I think I am going to hold off on the 450 korok seeds until that DLC comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I want to play Mario Kart, but I can't put down Zelda...