Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not huge into open world type of games but I am totally down with what I saw today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Erata posted:

Since everyone's talkin about playin the old games, is it worth it to blow money on the 3DS Ocarina of Time?
I got Majora 3DS because I forgot about many things in the 64 version and enjoyed that, but I think OOT is burnt into my memory. Master Quest less so.
If it's not worth it, I can always play hero mode ALBW or something. It's not too big a deal.
OoT has aged really poorly and the 3DS version does a LOT for making it playable in in the present, so I think it's worth getting for that alone.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I got my NES set up to work on my HDTV and not look like poo poo and the first game I've been seriously testing on it is the first LoZ. Everyone always says that game hasn't aged well but drat it it's like comfort food gaming for me. Most likely because I can run through the first quest practically blind and thus don't need a map but I'm having so much fun! It's a good game!!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I prefer SS to TP but I also played SS with a ton of QOL enhancements turned on via Ocarina, like instant text display and disabling the majority of Fi's interactions with the player outside of cutscenes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I didn't really mind the motion controls, though I did have to get in the habit of re-calibrating them frequently. I'd take them over the halfassed attempt used in TP Wii at any rate.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Explore a lot? Game's pretty self-explanatory, as you'd imagine.

Maybe that you can buy a super bomb in Dark World Link's house to blow open the cracked wall in the pyramid after you beat dungeons 5 and 6, I don't think that's ever explicitly told to the player.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Trent posted:

My NES and SNES games still have all their saves. I've never replaced a battery.
I've heard that in some cases just turning the game on to check your save isn't enough to determine if the battery is OK; you have to do something like create a brand new save, power it off and wait 24 hours, and then check to see if it's still there to determine if the battery is still producing enough charge.

Having spent the past year modding my systems to work on my HDTV my next project is probably going to be to replace all of the batteries in my cartridges, just to be safe.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Skyloft and its NPC cast, to say nothing about Groose, are just so much more interesting than anything (anything) in TP that I will always pick SS. I can get better at motion controls, I can hack Fi's annoying quips to be less frequent and make the bird permanently faster, but there is nothing I can do to make TP's world at all more fun to explore and interact with.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Waltzing Along posted:

Uh....

This is not a valid justification for liking the game. If you hack it, it's not the same game.
I'd call it no different than applying a mod to bugfix/improve a PC game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Zelda II can be pretty rough, specifically the run up to the final dungeon. It can be mitigated by saving the extra lives spread throughout the overworld for that run specifically at least.

Zelda I isn't too bad but once the blue wizzrobes show up it does get a bit nasty at times.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah I actually like Death Mountain quite a bit, even after all these years I don't need to look up the map for how to get through it it's just sort burned into my memory. It's so satisfying too because that's the only thing in your way from getting the downward thrust which is a game changer.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There are enough good things about Skyward Sword, mostly centered around Skyloft/Groose and the general level of style and personality in that world, that it more or less comes out ahead. Zelda II's only damning feature is that it's so radically different from most other Zelda games, it's still an exceptional NES title in of itself.

Spirit Tracks is the only one you'll never see me say anything positive about it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The combat in Zelda 2 just feels good. There's just something about a nice timed jump/slash on an Iron Knuckle that works.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The boss of the third palace w/ the down stab is a top 5 Zelda boss fight IMO.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel that top to bottom Link's Awakening is the best Zelda in almost every way that matters. The overworld is dense, full of secrets to find and things to do. The dungeons are IMO the best in the franchise with mostly good gimmicks. And the plot is surprisingly one of the more well crafted endeavors, especially for a 2D Zelda. It's also just really kind of weird and charming in a way that is uncommon for a Zelda title, except for maybe some parts of Wind Waker and obviously Majora's Mask.

It's let down by two major issues: 1). technical limitations by a lack of additional buttons making equipping weapons/items a pain and 2). those loving messages that pop up whenever you brush against rocks or whatever. If it weren't for these two things I would be perfectly comfortable saying the game, as-is, is my favorite Zelda over LTTP.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
By the time I had played it they had pushed out an update that made the Omega Metroids a lot easier, at least.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I still have my GBA SP :shobon: I generally never get rid of handhelds since they don't take up a lot of room, unless I get a better/updated version. For example when I got my AGS-101 I didn't need my old SP.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ImpAtom posted:

"If you're not careful, Link can get struck by lightning. During a storm, Link will want to unequip his metal weapons and items."

I'm not sure if that's clever or annoying as hell.
It's the Dark Elf Cave in FFIV all over again!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

LividLiquid posted:

Everybody keeps saying this, but it was about 1/5th the game New Super Mario Bros. U. was. It's like it was made for children.

Maybe I don't love it because I didn't play it with friends, but I'm old now, and my friends have kids, and when we get together, we don't want to play Mario. We want to drink and talk politics.

I'm the bummer, is where I'm going with this, but I loving hated that game.

New Super Mario U. was the best Mario game since 64, though.
This is insane, 3D World was one of the best Mario games in years. Beating Champion's Road was one of the best Mario moments ever. I don't dislike the NSMB games but they kind of felt like they were phoning it in after a point.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Finally finished this myself. Don't really have anything to add that others assuredly have not already mentioned but I enjoyed it a lot, though I admittedly had a lot of up and downs at the beginning when stamina/health/inventory was more of an issue.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I love both games.

But I will say that Mario is more of what I expected/wanted out of a Mario game in general, while I really had to fight against my aversion to openworld games to get into Zelda. On one hand great that it's not just repeating the same ol' formula, but on the other hand goooooood so many openworld sandbox games bore me to tears. BOTW was able to more than deliver in the end and make excellent use of its format, but there were definitely some periods of time at the start where I waxed and waned on it a bit (eventually resolved once I had a much larger inventory/arsenal/armor/recipes to deal with stuff at my leisure). Whereas with Mario I've had a permanent :haw: face on from the word go.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
"The freedom to do anything leaves me doing nothing" is a common problem I have with super huge open world non-linear games. I overcame it eventually in BOTW but it's absolutely been a big barrier for those types of games and myself over the years.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 10, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really wish there had been a Stasis++ upgrade at some point that reduced the cooldown.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Because it could be more game breaking. Also freezing dudes is rad.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Circle Nine posted:

The bits in the end credits of the Link's Awakening remake where the blend the old gameboy music with the new arrangements was both really surprising to hear and also just the biggest wave of nostalgia in the entire thing.
It was a big hit of, what I think the kids are calling, the feels.

Great game. I have a few quibbles here and there but nothing can possibly outpace what the QOL improvements bring to the table.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If you mean seashells, you get a seashell finder from the mansion at 15 shells.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

obi_ant posted:

Is this the thread where we can talk about Link's Awakening? Does anyone know if there is going to be a patch for the frame rate issue? It's really noticeable even in docked mode and I don't see myself playing it at this point. I really takes me of the game.
Is the conventional wisdom not that it would run better in handheld, because of the lower resolution?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
No, that was Akira Kurosawa.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I just want to say that I never played LA before and now that it's on the Switch and I'm going through it: gently caress the Eagle's Tower dungeon. t:mad:
I'm not sure if this is the case but I feel like either I'm way smarter than I was as a kid or they nerfed it but I had waaaay less trouble getting the orb around the dungeon to knock down the pillars this time.

The Face Shrine still took me a while though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Augus posted:

Something I wish I realized earlier is that you can save yourself some headache in dungeons by marking which stairs link up to each other on your map using matching stamps.
Holy poo poo

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I mean Akira is also kind of garbage compared to its comic, it doesn't make it less of a classic though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel like the last time I tried to mess with BS Zelda ROMs they ran like garbage in Retroarch and never did the research to learn what cores or settings I needed to use to make them work.

Honestly though I think the look and feel of the original Zelda is kind of part of the package, if you're interested in Zelda 1 it's implicit IMO that it being a NES game is part of the reason. If those are proving to a barrier then there's no shame in just saying you tried and moving on.