Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Hi thread. This is the best game ever. Never thought anything would top OOT!

So I stumbled upon this huge hole in the ground (somewhere in the bottom left corner of the world map) with what look like homes all around it in some wintry place (haven't found the tower yet, sorry I don't know where it is) and there are 3 huge snowballs at the top of a long hill. I pushed one and it got a little bigger but by the time it takes a bit of a jump it falls apart before going into the huge hole. This has probably been discussed but I can't find it! I'm guessing the snowball has to be big enough to cap this hole to trigger something?? What do I do here?

Also I have 9k rupees, what should I buy? I only have two Divine Beasts cleared (elephant and bird) and I don't have super great armor if that helps. Should I buy the guardian armor? If so which pieces?

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Are you kidding me, coming from Destiny the first 10 hours of play in the game I would instinctively hit the shoulder triggers to try to go between inventory menus before I finally got used to navigating it correctly. But jumping back into Destiny tonight I'll be jumping whenever I go to sprint now, that's for sure.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I've been playing since the beginning with a pro controller because screw motion controls. Sometimes I have to get up from the couch and get the gamepad because of shrines that use it exclusively but the pro controller is the best thing besides the console and game itself.

The battery life on the thing is ridiculous. Like, mysterious and crazy ridiculous. I took it off the charger since I was woken up and haven't plugged it in since, so almost a month and I've been playing a lot. I have an electrical engineering degree and I'll never stop being dumbfounded by how much charge this holds.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 28, 2017

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Yeah they seem to be popular in this thread but I can't do it. I could never do a steering wheel with mario kart. I dunno...

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Feenix posted:

I'm on top of the mountain getting shock arrows to deal with Vah Ruta and wondering why I heard someone on the internet mention you should not kill Lynel.

Can someone spoil (or lightly spoil) why for me?

They may have said that in the context of Vah Ruta being their first or second Beast and may not be fully geared to handle one yet. If you got the gear go for it, they're not that hard to kill once you get the hang of parrying at the right times. I'd recommend a one handed sword so you can have your shield up a lot if you're worried. Or if you think you can put it away fast enough to put your shield back up, a two handed is great, especially if you can Statis and hold down Y.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
That moment when you're all "ha, :smug:, too easy" as you release magnesis on a cube to complete a Korok puzzle, and then you don't hear "doop doop de doop, yahaha!". And stand there like an idiot. :smith:

When your fully trained horse follows paths for you and you drive by enemies, "ping!". :unsmith:

When wolves howling takes so much time you can casually throw a bomb and detonate before they're even through it. :unsmith:

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Fritzler posted:

I was walking from Kakariko to Hateno village, and I think I went the "wrong" way. I ended up walking by a giant minotaur and killed him, but it took literally every weapon strength that I had and I only had his sword and shield afterwards. Then I had to constantly eat all the food i had saved, which was mostly uncooked cuz the free armor the king gave didn't protect me enough after my torch went out. Then I found a giant dragon that I had to shoot eyes off of. Is he story relevant later? I don't really understand why, but I did it and got that shrine, and then eventually floated down and finally got to Hateno village.

:aaa:

You're my hero.

That's the beauty of this game. This guy is so awesome that he doesn't just go to Hateno village, but he climbs the mountain to shoot the crap off the dragon to open the shrine. Downs a Lynel like it ain't no thing on the way. I didn't get to that statue/shrine until yesterday and I'm really well into the game now. (Albeit for some reason I kind of ignored the bottom right corner of the map for a long time and def kicking myself now about that.)

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Has anyone else noticed most movies these days are a hero that is totally overpowered and just stomps his way through all his enemies with little to no setbacks/failures? For some reason I think that's what people like now. This is gonna start sounding like a dad-post but I don't think people have the patience to endure a struggle for the ultimately more satisfying triumph. I think a lot of people would feel just as satisfied running in with unbreakable weapons, mashing Y 100 times and walking away with all the loot, than if they had to kind of fight for it, be a little patient and creative, like BotW forces you to do. Action/Adventure games/movies have all kind of reached this gray equilibrium and if you take away limitless curb stomping and replace it with a bit of patience/creativity it immediately becomes boring and tedious.

It's really just a clickbait link though, for sure. I agree we'll see more of them.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Lodin posted:

Reminder that Kotaku who are in the same family of sites posted this piece of piss.
http://kotaku.com/the-worst-mission-in-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-1793526430

quote:

...without warning, he turns around and runs straight into you.

OMG a challenge?!! Throw the game in the garbage.

Honestly it did take me a couple tries but it was because of the usual "trying to take a shortcut or be quick in a Zelda game, not gonna work out for you bro" axium, not because it was the worst mission in the game.

What was frustrating for me was having to redo it again because in my mind "don't let him see you" meant don't let him see you at all, and not walk right up to him and talk to him when he found the spot. So I did the shrine, went back to deku tree and was like, what, I did that one. Ugh. Did it again and then talked to him at the end. I'm an idiot.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
How about that shrine with the hanging spiky metal balls that they probably expected you to swing and time your walk across accordingly, but I just wrapped them around what they were hanging by the chain and casually strolled through. Not "shrine breaking" by any means, and clearly it was probably an option, so I'm probably thinking I'm smarter than I actually am. I just love the multiple right answers, I guess.

In the same line, the Impeccable Timing shrine, I just threw the ball in the water, cryosised under the ball, climbed up, picked up the ball and threw it in. Didn't use the launchers but the one time I failed and said, yeah screw that.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I was in the 8th grade when OoT came out, and I vividly remember moments sitting in class dying to get out of school to run home and make more progress in a temple, or try to figure out what's next with the Big Goron's sword, etc. Granted my gaming has fallen off greatly, aside from Destiny, but I haven't had a game grab me by the heart as much as OoT until now. I'm sitting here at work and as far as I'm concerned nothing matters until I get home and can keep exploring!!!

But my weapons might break :qq:

And I have to apply elixers/food/equipment to not be instakilled by enemies :qq:

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Yeah I don't get all the hate, he was extremely easy. Put your shield up, after he smacks his head into you he just sits an inch away. You hit him a bunch of times to break his shield, hit him a few more times, stasis to hit a few more times. Magnesis any one of the metal rods into his face 1 or 2 times and you're done.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

RCarr posted:

There's no way to track Koroks with your sensor is there? I never thought to take a picture of one.

Nope. I'd imagine that thing would be going off all the time. Which isn't as annoying when you're actively looking for them. But yeah sorry no :(

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Are we even still overthinking it? I only got a few of the chests before I got to the boss and then I went back in and discovered no one there anymore. I got the other chests with complete ease as no one was there at all.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Remember, if you can't pull the saw...

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I got the Lord of the Mountain. What do I do with it?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I just discovered it last night myself. Is there anything special about it besides a few enemies with semi-rare gear, and a Lynel?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Very practical if you throw lots of parties...

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Remember, any nail could fail...

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Games › Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Do whatever, idiot.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Is there something about darkness that doesn't allow you to hold Y? Spin to win bro. :cheers:

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
http://i.imgur.com/yaFeBGW.gifv

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 10, 2017

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Spergatory posted:

Most people wouldn't even think to try it and will spend hours living in fear of Guardians.

This was me. I've got a row of hearts plus 3, full food, full Guardian armor, stasis and I still get nervous. Even after the legs are off and I'm plinking away with the master sword I'm squinting toward the eye wondering if he'll find/shoot me before stasis fills back up and/or death.

It never happens but it instills fear to this day. An artifact of an amazing game. The sound chopping those legs off makes will go down as an iconic "zelda" sound in my mind for years, too. "CHOOooom CHOOoooom CHOOoooom"

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

seiferguy posted:

I've been spending most of my time going after all the armor and it's upgrades for some weird reason. It's fun!

Speaking of armor, is it worth it to get the ancient / guardian armor from Robbie and his robot waifu? That's a lot of ancient parts I need to grind out (mainly gears, so many gears). Money is trivial now that I know how to almost always get a strike in the bowling game.

I think it is. Go to the front (back?) whatever side of Hyrule Castle that has them crawling everywhere and you'll have enough parts in no time. And there was a ton under one of the labyrinths, can't remember which one though.

As was pointed out, all you need is a pot lid and you're good to go!

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 10, 2017

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Yeah it sounds mean to say but I think it's the most mentally healthy way to approach time-gated functions in a game like this. I've even needed to tell myself, "listen, there's a ton to do in this game - just come back at the next blood moon. I gotta go show that kid the weapon he's been wanting to see. I got the 55 rushrooms for that other guy, etc. I bet a blood moon will come by the time I'm done with that." Otherwise the game becomes more of a chore to play and none of us want that.

But you did say it's your last shrine, so things might be drying up for you to do. I'd suggest going to your house, sleeping, and as soon as you walk out the door look at the moon. If red you're good to go, if blue hop back in, repeat.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Xaris posted:

What's the best way to get Cores, Major Tests of Strength and/or go run in the front of Hyrule Castle?

Probably. Again a chance for some under the Lomei Labyrinth, too. I think a guy sells one just outside of Hateno, too.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Found a weapon you can spin? Against all Hinox you will win.

Found a weapon you can thrust? From the backside is a must.

Found a weapon you can only swing? Mipha's grace will soon sing.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 10, 2017

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Spergatory posted:

So, fun fact: Flamebreaker Armor with the set bonus allows you to walk through jets of flame with impunity, effectively negating several puzzles if you have it available for them. Suck it, Vah Ruta. :c00lbert:

And yet as soon as I got the full set I found a humble little campfire to test out what this baby could do and I still burst into flames (me, not my gear.) At least I think it was...

My immersion. :qq:

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Spergatory posted:

You need the set bonus to be completely fireproof. Gotta upgrade that poo poo.

Oh you gotta take it to the fairy and everything to get the upgrade? I thought set bonus implied a bonus because you have the set. Yet again it's proven I'm an idiot.

seiferguy posted:

Are there enough ancient cores in shrines to get the sheikah upgrade and be able to buy the ancient armor sets / upgrade them?

When I stumbled upon the tech lab I had expended no significant effort in going out of my way to find cores or other parts and I found it pretty early in the game. So I got most of the sheikah upgrades right away, but as far as the ancient armor sets, you're probably going to need to spend some more time playing and get them naturally or :spergin: and run around hyrule castle and lomei labyrinth farming them.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Games › Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Yahaha! You stole me!

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Spergatory posted:

little-to-no risk at all

You didn't mention the shield you'd be using, but I imagine a pot lid at this level of risk mitigation?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Spergatory posted:

Whatever shield you want. Your real protection is upgraded armor that makes you element-proof. The enemy can still hurt you by hitting you with the actual physical rod, but it's so short and does so little damage that it barely matters.

Incidentally, element-proof armor makes fighting Wizzrobes really fun. They literally cannot harm you directly. But it's sure fun to watch them try!

lol I guess I was too subtle... ;)

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Whoever posted https://mrcheeze.github.io/botw-object-map/ - thank you. This is incredible.

I move that we refer to the master sword only as Weapon_Sword_070 from this point forward.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Is it stasis-able? You could stasis it and hit it with an arrow or two to knock it down and grab it.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Wildtortilla posted:

How do you even get to Eventide early on?

Stamina food/elixir, probably.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Every time it pops my go to strat is to furiously mash the X and + buttons to skip the stupid cut scene I've watched 100 times.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
One of the things pointed to most as a disappointment is the lack of true dungeons. But maybe it's a matter of perspective? Perhaps the developers, in their clear and solid attempt at creating a more open world without being tied down as much, wanted the "dungeon" experience to be more open ended as well. Perhaps you could view everything Zora as the dungeon. The block of time spent from the moment you first meet your new fish boyfriend, inside Vah Ruta, and all the side quests inherent to the village could be viewed as a distinct separation from your free roaming blasting Hinox's, collecting treasure, riding horses, etc - right?

I know in my mind it was a complete switching of priority when I finally decided to put off exploring the map for a while and dive into knocking down another 25% of the Divine Beasts quest. So maybe the "lack of true dungeons" could be something celebrated instead of criticized because it's a manifestation of a greater endeavor to keep the player's options open and not getting tied down to particular area/quest/room for a significant period of time - which seems to be a widely accepted and enjoyed facet of this game.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the forest temple of OoT and the dungeon specific things as much as everyone else. In fact I do kind of wish these hugely important tools like Stasis and Cryosis were acquired through more of a difficult struggle in a more fleshed out Divine Beast. But, again, I guess my point is that I appreciate the devs trying something new and seeing if people like engaging a whole community and solving their problems, rather than just diving into a forest temple for 2 hours and only talking to one or two characters to get there.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
It was mentioned before but I'm sure there's going to be a time limit between eating/drinking food/potions in HM. I'm also betting you won't be able to use Stasis on enemies but not as sure about that as the former.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
How about timed shrines? That'd actually be kind of terrible cool and good.

Nah actually it'd be bad.

I might like it though.

But probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Norns posted:

I hope survival mode makes eating and sleeping mandatory.

Why do I want to do mundane daily poo poo in games?

You should def check out Destiny if that's your thing.

It seems to me like a lot of you are wishing and even sort of expecting some fundamentally huge, literally game changing things coming with hard mode. Am I just used to Bungie introducing a records book in a patch and calling it new content with new carrots to chase? Does Nintendo legitimately make huge updates to their games like this where different shrine locations, smarter enemies, wizzrobes having new abilities are introduced in updates? Because what I'm expecting are changes that make little to no impact on the actual content of the game, just add/remove (mostly remove) things from you to make it harder, like limiting how much food you can eat, adding HP to all enemies, and removing Statis use on enemies. I hope I'm wrong for sure!