Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've been playing through Ocarina of Time on my Wii and it's still super great aside from the controls. I long for a camera stick. Somehow the stick on my pro controller perfectly captures how shittastic the N64 analog stick was. I still can't beat that stupid shooting gallery after all these years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've just resigned myself to looking at a guide whenever I've thrown everything against the wall or whenever I feel like I need to do something but it might waste a bunch of time if I'm wrong. I always get caught up by games where I have to go do something that I already tried that didn't work but now it will work because some other thing changed. The forest temple is annoying because it's the first temple with keys and none of the keys are really on the way to the doors.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Using the guide is definitely a trap. I think I still have physical guides to OoT and MM somewhere. I started using it to find all the minor stuff like the sun's song and some bottles and whatever. I'm not 10 years old anymore, I don't have time to scour the entire game for every little thing. I started worrying about missing something and kept looking at it. Now I make sure to actually play the dungeon as far as I can before looking something up.

I can definitely see why I had the guides 20 years ago though. Sometimes the only information for the next thing you have to do is mentioned by the big owl one time. So when I was a kid and went through the dialogue and then hosed off to the fishing pond and then quit playing, I'd totally forget what to do when I loaded it back up. Unless Navi says it six million times or something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did you make sure to call Epona over first?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know what it is about 3D zeldas that make them so cool but have the worst controls ever. They always have cool gimmicks and interesting items and the worst control scheme. Every 3D zelda game has involved me twirling around some item trying to go exactly where I need it to.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's not really hard. In any other game, it would be super easy. Leave the bow facing forward, get the timing right, move the bow left and right for the blue rupees. The problem is that Nintendo sticks are terrible and there doesn't seem to be any granularity between "barely moves" and "moves too much."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I just want to know if the new Zelda will have crappy midi tunes for the soundtrack.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm the hero of time and you guys should show me some respect. Anyway, here's wonderwall.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I started playing Twilight Princess a bit and the 480p (luckily I have component cables) isn't very good. N64 zeldas look great on it though. Breath of the Wild should look amazeballs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ice Fist posted:

It's actually kind of weird that when I boot up an emulated OOT I'm like, "what is this?? Did I really play this as a kid?" and then like an hour later I barely notice anymore.

It's worse on an actual N64. I loaded up Episode 1 Racer and everything was so blurry I couldn't even read anything. While there's some issues with the UI and some textures, emulated N64 games look pretty good. The 480p version I'm playing on Wii looks like how I remember it in the 90s.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's called "Breath of the Wild" maybe it's just a game where you collect various kinds of mints because Link's breath stinks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Uh it looked good enough, so let me buy a switch and the new Zelda game plz.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You'd think the PS Vita or the 3DS would have done that. Maybe having the Switch as the main console and forcing people who want a Nintendo to have a portable device is what will do it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

That looks really cool and I'm going to buy it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do we know where along the timeline Breath of the Wild will be? I guess we don't really have any details. I need to finish OoT and then I plan to go through the "hero is successful" timelines with the games I have. Which is everything except Four Swords + Hyrule Adventure. I need a new gamecube controller because I lost my wavebird so I can play Wind Waker. Not really interested in the defeated timeline. I'm trying to get into LttP but I just don't really like the gameboy or the NES games.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's just fun to think of there being different time lines. Sorry if that makes you really mad.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I like that. Each game is a story about what happened. It's not exactly correct because no story maintains its integrity when it gets passed down through time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do you think we can hold down the run button until the cape powers up and then fly across hyrule?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is any of this new or interesting or real?

http://www.zeldadungeon.net/breath-of-the-wild-walkthrough/great-plateau/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm finishing up OoT and there are lots of things I didn't realize were in this game. Maybe it comes from the various stones around the world but I didn't know you could play the song of storms or the sun song at certain places to just make fairies show up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Was someone complaining before that Skyward Sword doesn't have anything to skip conversations? You just hold A. While it's not as fast as some things in the N64 zeldas where you could press B and skip whole conversations, it is faster than some things in the N64 Zeldas where you couldn't skip something at all and there was no way to speed it up. In any case, I find holding A so I can go through the conversations closer to my reading speed pretty nice.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did you see the part where I said it's a compromise between the N64 instances where sometimes you could skip but sometimes you had to slowly watch the entire conversation?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
TP was obvious button replacement but so far Skyward Sword seems to be justifying it's motion controls a bit better.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You could replace the sword stuff in Skyward Sword with an analog stick. It would be just like doing tricks in the Skate games. I kind of like the sword stuff in Skyward Sword though, much better than Twilight Princess. But I'd be ok if they had the same stuff in BotW but using the second stick to choose sword slashes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
ITT: People who have never tried VR make wrong assumptions about VR. VR isn't a replacement for the current way to play games, it's another way to play games.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So far the only bad thing about skyward sword is bomb rolling. If you're sitting on something that doesn't let you hang your arm down, it's really awkward. Figuring out the flight controls is a bit finicky but I'm getting the hang of it. While the game would work just fine without motion controls, it uses them pretty well.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Zelda II is probably the worst. Even if SS throws out some really stupid poo poo, there's still enough cool things in this game to make it be good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Phimosissy posted:

Zelda II holds up pretty well compared to most NES games. It certainly has flaws, but there's a lot of good there too. Way above dumpster fire level.

"Compared to most NES games." NES games are pretty trash. There's only a few good ones and even with those you'll just end up wishing you were playing it's equivalent on SNES or later.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Alxprit posted:

People's enjoyment of Link to the Past really hinges on whether they played it back in the day or not, it seems. I'm one of the people who likes it, and I play it often still. But my younger friend played it for the first time a few years back and just didn't like it. But he also dislikes Super Mario 64, because Galaxy is better. Oh well.

I think Link to the Past had a cool overworld and a lot of exploration and obtaining treasures. I don't think any other game in the series has had more optional items. That's why I like it. Plus, being simple isn't necessarily a bad thing if it doesn't do anything particularly wrong.

That applies to almost anything. I played through OoT recently because I love the game. As soon as I started it up, I realized I would hate it if I didn't have the nostalgia. The controls are terrible, and there's no direct camera control. You either have to use Z targeting or C-Up. Either of those has a small chance that you either target on to something or navi happened to be bitching at you and you're talking to her now. It has a terrible habit of moving the camera around for something but not putting it back. So when I'm racing out of the Kokori village and I stop to play Epona's song, it plays the song cutscene but then leaves the camera there. I either have to press Z to look the right way or now run towards the camera. Z targeting only works for rotating the camera, the game still decides the pitch. Often it decides to point the camera down when you're trying to look over or up at something. They should have used the D-pad to control the camera instead of having the entire D-Pad toggle the minimap. I don't know why you'd care if you could toggle that.

Nostalgia allows you to look past little annoyances to get to the part of the game you like.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 2, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

romanowski posted:

maybe you're talking about Oot3D but using the d-pad to control the camera wouldn't have made any sense on the N64 controller

e: I agree with your overall point though

I was playing on Wii with a pro controller. I can see how DPad camera controls would be awkward on the N64 controller but with how awkward it is to do anything the game, moving my left hand to move the camera around wouldn't be the worst.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

LTTP is my favorite still, but OoT holds up pretty decently I thought. I went back and finally beat it a few years ago using the Gamecube port, and didn't have too much trouble with it which is funny, because I found it almost impossible as a kid (and Gohma was terrifying to me then too). I still don't like Majora's Mask though. Something about the time limit, even though I know it's not really a thing and I love other games like Dead Rising.

OoT did seem more daunting when I was a kid. I was terrified of Gohma and had trouble bringing myself to do the adult temples.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

I remember spending so much time getting the adult temples done when I was a kid but now I hate the thought of replaying the game because the child dungeons are boring and I really only want to do the adult ones.

Really only Jabu Jabu is annoying and boring. The Deku Tree is pretty easy and Dodongo isn't that bad. Jabu Jabu is a dumpster fire though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Walking around in a big whale and different rooms are different parts of its body is interesting in concept. In reality, it's poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The rolling in Phantom Hourglass is terrible. I can get it to work maybe 1 out of 10 times.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
One thing I'm going to miss from Skyward Sword is how easy it is to kill Keese. Just hold the controller vertically and swing it around and they are all dead. As opposed to trying to get a lock with the slingshot before they dive bomb me or trying to get a lucky sword strike in every other game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Oh shotgun slingshot them?

Cause it has a shotgun slingshot.

Bring back Skyward Swords upgrade system.

I haven't had to use it yet so far because it's just so easy to hold the sword up and swing it around as they swarm me. In other games, it would let you Z Target them until it's nearly too late. By the time the slingshot comes out, there's a split second before it's too late and they hit.

Another thing that needs to stay is bombs and bomb flowers being the same thing, and being able to replenish the bomb bag with bomb flowers. There's just so much good stuff in Skyward Sword that it can't be the worst.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

You can emulate it well (better then the original) already, and theres $15 senor bar that usb to pc that the wiimotes connect to. So its ridiculously easy to do it yourself, you can properly rip your games if you mod a wii so you don't have to :filez: at all.

If you mean official support, the WiiU had built in support for it that will never be seen again, so unless the game could be controlled with a classic controller I don't think it will ever be on virtual console. Unless the do some serious revamping of the controls, joycon in each hand simulating nunchuck and wiimote? Some games had super varies controls that worked with every style controller.

So Smash, maybe
Mario Kart, Maybe
Skyward Sword, maybe not.

The right joycon has an IR sensor and I would assume they both have IMUs so it's not like it isn't possible.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Does the switch peak out of the dock so it can be a sensor bar?

I don't know for sure how it works, but right joycon becomes a wiimote to replace touchscreen functionality.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The upgrade system isn't even all that bad in Skyward Sword. Unless it gets really bad later on, I've only done one resource run. I just beat the ancient cistern and upgraded everything I have to the best they can be. I needed some tumbleweeds because they are a real bitch to catch, and some ancient flowers. Though I do usually stop to pick up whatever I can find and I smash every pot after doing that in every other Zelda game. My only complaint so far is that it's tricky to gauge when to swing the net. So unless something gets really annoying in the next few dungeons, I don't have anything against it. I would much rather be able to treasure hunt my way into bigger bomb bags and whatever than have to play some dipshit shooting gallery minigame with terrible controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Phimosissy posted:

If it wasn't on a stupid fake stick and if it was textured better so it didn't look like playskool plastic, it might be worth considering.

Nice meltdown.