Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

WII U AND SWITCH VERSIONS ARE VIRTUALLY IDENTICAL. SOME FRAMERATE DROPS ON WII U.

"Open your eyes."

OFFICIAL TRAILER:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw47_q9wbBE

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be released on March 3, 2017 for Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Wii U. The game is the first proper console Zelda game since Skyward Sword, released in late 2011. It marks a brand new direction for the series, pulling inspiration from Skyrim and Shadow of the Colossus, and there's even real voice acting for the first time in Zelda history. Hyrule is much more open, bigger than ever, and surprisingly interactive. Link can climb 90° cliffs, chop down trees with an axe, and indulge in casual pyromania. OH YEAH AND THERE'S FINALLY A JUMP BUTTON. Nintendo is making a huge effort to reinvigorate the franchise with Breath of the Wild.

Link's been napping for 100 years. Hyrule is in ruins, its people scattered. Calamity Ganon's imposing spirit looms around the castle, daring any who challenge him. Find some pants and a shirt and help Zelda take back the kingdom.

As an artist, perhaps the most appealing thing to me is the game's visual direction. It's a positive evolution from Skyward Sword's impressionism. According to Aunoma, the team is imitating gouache and plein air painting (to brilliant success I might add). The world we've so far is incredibly green with vast fields, woods, and hills in every direction. Hell, I'll let some screencaps do the talking:

A huge change for this game is that you don't have any kind of "helper" character like Navi or Fi. This will be the first console Zelda game since SNES's A Link to the Past without a "friend" to annoyingly navigate you. However, BotW features Amiibo support. Having the Wolf Link Amiibo can summon Wolf Link into your game to help out. I, for one, am glad that Fi can't annoy me every ten seconds with her game-spoiling bullshit. We'll see what else they have in store for this feature!

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be released in 2017 for the Nintendo Wii U and Nintendo NX. More details will be added to the OP as they are revealed.

And remember, if you see something suspicious...

...BOMB IT LIKE YOU'VE NEVER BOMBED IT BEFORE.

Past threads:
Zelda Megathread: Buying Nintendo consoles for one game since 2001
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Raise your sword the highest you can
Zelda Megathread: I found a timeline under the table
Let's talk about the Legend of Zelda

MokBa fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

One of the best parts of BotW? If there's something you don't wanna do, you just don't have to loving do it.

MokBa fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 10, 2017

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Okay but seriously gently caress those navigator NPCs. They're occasionally unobtrusive (King of Red Lions) or interesting characters in their own right (Midna), but generally they're just really annoying and unnecessary. It looks like they're have something similar with the iSheik tablet, so here's hoping they don't overdo it.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Plot spoilers: The villain is "Calamity Ganon" who took over Hyrule Castle 100 years earlier. This is definitely feeding the idea that this game is something of a "remake" of the original LoZ. As much as I HATE to talk about the timeline in these threads, LoZ takes place in the "OoT Link failed" timeline, whereas WW is Adult Link timeline. Maybe BotW is the WW timeline version of the original game? (This theory's only other support is the appearance of a Korok though.)

I can't get over some of the amazing little details they're including that have all been part of my personal "dream Zelda game". I'm unreasonably excited about Link needed warmer clothes for colder areas (beyond getting a differently-colored tunic), which is a tiny thing I've thought about for years.

I'm surprised that we haven't seen any hint of the green tunic. I'm loving the blue one though, so no complaints here.

Black Mage Knight posted:

Games > The Legend of Zelda: Skyrim Sword

We are pretty much being shown why this game has been taking so long. It has potentially too much stuff.

Yeah I definitely considered this for a thread title. Hopefully I actually enjoy this game, unlike Skyrim with its garbage combat mechanics.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Why do people even care about this stuff?

The whole point of the "Legend of Zelda" is there's always a Zelda and there's always a Hero of Time.

He's literally the dread pirate roberts. There's dozens of different Links throughout time in different scenarios. Its the perfect excuse for games to have sequels that are all similar but slightly different.

And then you guys gotta go and force some timeline into it because you just can't handle that?

I'm the guy that had a "no timeline discussion" rule in these threads for years, so you're preaching to the choir. But then Nintendo went and released an official timeline. I'm actually much more interested in the idea of this game as a modern remake of the original and was just approaching it from a certain angle. But sure, continue to be an rear end and assume that I can't "handle" the series without my precious timeline.

Or maybe you can contribute to the thread without insulting people.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Sorry Zaphod42, I didn't mean to pile on. Wrote that post before I saw the other responses. But back in the beginning of the Zelda threads, I used to post terrible fan art/cosplay whenever the thread devolved into timeline discussion. Because it really was pointless before the official one was released. But now that it has been, it can be important to the plots of the games. Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, for example, both have plots affected by the events of Ocarina, but those two games exist in two separate timelines. It's an extremely minor aspect of the series, but the games still lean into it now and then. Skyward Sword's status as a prequel to the rest of the series is an integral part of its plot. You forge the Master Sword as part of the game.

There are a lot of things in this game that are pulled directly from the original LoZ. They talk about it a lot in interviews. Hell, the beginning of the game is even pulled directly from old concept art:

I'm just in love with the idea of BotW as Nintendo "remaking" the original game with modern technology. Even the barebones details we know of the plot and world echo the original game. The timelines just provide an easy excuse for them to do it without altering "canon".

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

What gets me more than anything is that we were shown hours and hours of content yesterday, and that content only barely even scratches the surface of the game. We still don't know plot, characters, towns, items, dungeons, and many of the other Zelda elements. I think it was so focused on what's new that I'm curious as to what's coming back from more recent games. Everything that's been wrong with the series – linearity, handholding, single-use items – seems to have been solved. But what about what's right? The games have gotten phenomenal at puzzle design. And SS had some of my all-time favorite dungeons in the series.

I also wish I could go into the game knowing nothing. Man I can't wait!

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Oh god I want an actual wolf pack now. I want my Link to be feral and wild. And I want Dark Souls invasions where we hunt other players.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

A friend of mine is completely convinced that this game will have a dual-world time travel mechanic like OoT. Personally, I'm very very tired of that in my Zelda games.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Yeah exactly. That's what I told him, but he has totally convinced himself that all the towns and NPCs and rupees will only exist in "past" Hyrule.

Personally, I'm hoping for more time-fuckery like in Skyward Sword.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I'm interesting to see Nintendo getting into DLC with this game. It seems primed for it where you can have an existing landmark become the entrance for more content or just add it to the map. And if the game's good enough, who wouldn't want some more?

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Mario as a Metroidvania platformer

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Link don't gently caress around.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Zelda Generations

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Link Simulator™ is shaping up to be a great game.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

The Bomb Arrow was straight up lifted from Link's Awakening. You had to have the bow and bombs equipped and then press both at the same time. It was an intentional bit of programming that had a few uses within the game.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I'm literally a musician and singer who played Spirit Tracks at a time when I was going to the gym six days a week. I still had trouble with those stupid songs. One of them gave me enough trouble that I almost quit the game.

Traveling in that overworld with those demon trains got me to quit just fine on its own.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/767753824597573632

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

The Great Sea is actually freshwater! :eng101:

Whizbang posted:

3D is literally in the name of the system.

I can't tell if you're being intentionally obtuse or if you actually don't understand the fundamental differences between 2D and 3D Zelda games.

MokBa fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 1, 2016

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Four big dungeons sounds ideal for this game. But I'd also like them to do a 3D Zelda game with like 10 dungeons that only take around an hour to finish the first time ala LttP.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

^^^ Yeah I thought the exact same thing. It's totally unrelated to Zelda, but it's a show everyone should check out because the pilot was phenomenal.

I just gave Link's Awakening my first playthrough in years, and I love how meta and philosophical it is. Someone more dedicated than me could write a whole treatise on it. The whole thing can be read as a commentary on video games themselves, which only exist while you play them and whose worlds cease to be once you're done with the game. LA turns it literal.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Oracle of Seasons was originally a remake of the first game, hence the similarities.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

This Link would be offended that you all are just assuming their gender identity.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

The ticking clock constantly reminding you of inevitable doom contributes to that feeling more than about any other aspect. That's how loving horrifying that timer is.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Well I am extremely pumped now. I don't even know where to begin! Will add new videos to OP later.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I like Zelda because the timeline is like the points on Whose Line.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Some recently released concept art:

Now that there's an actual jump button, I'm really hoping that cape is a sign that we'll get something akin to the Roc's Cape. I'd die to glide around with that bad boy.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

You've been hit by
You've been struck by
A smooooth Hylian

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Zelda 2 doesn't get good until you get the downstab.

Then that poo poo is majestic.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

The jump slash is certainly more useful. But the downstab is goddamn satisfying.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I'm just gonna do a few laps around the plateau first. Get myself psyched up. Maybe take a few pictographs to post onto Instagram so everyone in Hyrule knows what I'm doing. #whataview #longnap

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Bean posted:

I'm at the thief dungeon, whatever it's called, and it's gonna take a miracle from the Lord Jesus Christ Himself for me to get to that lady and get her outside.

Don't worry, I definitely believe that you will be able to accomplish this.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Can't believe all these people are making GBS threads up the thread with their garbage opinions. I didn't even play through ALttP until I was like 16 in 2002 and I loved it. It's not the best Zelda game, but by god is it quite a feat for the time and it still holds up pretty drat well. SMW and DKC are the only other SNES games that hold up as well.

Waltzing Along posted:

LA is better than LttP.

This is actually true though.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuC4YLLkqME

Nintendo Switch presentation is going live now. Sure to be some more BotW info.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

MARCH 3, 2017

Someone please post the trailer when it goes online! I'm going to sleep.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Well my Switch is preordered but not the game itself. Thank you Amazon for whatever is causing the delay! I don't need no fancy pants special edition, dammit!

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

^^^ It ran out by 3am central last night.

They ran out, it's gone.

Also, looks like there's gryoscopic bow aiming. I liked the gyro aiming stuff in Skyward Sword but no waggle sword would be good.

Welp I might just end up downloading it straight to the system then. Which is hopefully still a thing considering I haven't heard anything about it yet.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

There's one thing I've been very curious about ever since they revealed Wolf Link. Will I be able to train dogs and wolves to be my hunting buddies? It seems weird to include that as an Amiibo-only feature.

What I'm saying is let me have a good doggo to go on quests with me please.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Nietzsche's Z For Zelda

Runcible Cat posted:

I thought we were going to be able to get other doggie friends, but the amiibo will give us Wolf Link. Like you said, I don't think they'd make the whole feature amiibo-only.

Sam Faust posted:

There's seems to be a mechanic for taming wild horses (not just riding them once), and it looks like it might extend to dogs as well.

Yeah these are both my thoughts as well. There just hasn't been anything confirming it as far as I know.

Oh god there's so much in this game we haven't even seen! I'm curious about the dungeons. And if human-Ganon will make an appearance. Calamity Ganon could easily just be "Phantom Ganon" and the real guy is hiding in that castle. OR HE'S THE OLD MAN.

One things I give these games huge props for is how much they never seem to sexualize Zelda. Giving her huge breasts and ample cleavage in Hyrule Warriors really bothered me. I love that she's rocking an outfit akin to Link's in this. I hope she comes along on a quest with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I can't wait to watch videos of people beating Ganon in their shorts with only sticks and using all kinds of physics nonsense to speedrun.