Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

My guess is you use those flowers to brew a strong drink and then share some with Ganon. Your gesture of kindness will calm him and the kingdom will be at peace without the use of violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's a Hangover situation, but with Link and upstanding citizen Ganon as buddies celebrating Ganon's wedding, and when Ganon wakes up, he finds he's caused the apocalypse and just rolls with it until his best pal wakes up 100 years later.

"Save my daughter....'s fiance from his habits!" The King is just looking out for his future son-in-law.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Second quest should let you play as Zelda. I'm just getting way too teased by her outfit that is nearly identical to Link's.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

The developers even pulled influence from the old cartoon.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait has this been confirmed to work?

No, but I'm sure some clever players will somehow devise a way to do something similar.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/17/nintendo-explains-differences-between-switch-wii-u-versions-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild

quote:

In a statement provided to IGN, Nintendo explained the following “key facts” about each version:

Both launch on the same day, March 3.
Both have a frame rate of 30fps.
Both versions of the game offer the same content.
On a TV, the Nintendo Switch version of the game renders in 900p while the Wii U version renders in 720p.
The Nintendo Switch version has higher-quality environmental sounds. As a result, the sound of steps, water, grass, etc. are more realistic and enhance the game’s Open-Air feel.
The physical copy of the Wii U version will require 3GB of available memory on the Wii U system or an external drive.
Some icons, such as onscreen buttons, differ between the two versions.
A Special Edition and Master Edition of the Wii U version are not available.

The only information that seems new is about the sound. I wonder if the difference will actually be noticeable.

Someone also translated text from the map. It gives a rough backstory, the details of which most of us have already figured out. But I'll put it in spoiler tags just in case:

“Hylians pass stories of a destined time long past, where multiple races lived and worked together in harmony. The Sheikah Tribe’s blue aura breathed through the land, and this mutual prosperity continued, until a cataclysmic disaster struck. The hero and the princess attempted in vain to seal the terror, which became known as the Calamity Ganon. Divine Beasts awoke from four directions, and deployed a mechanical army which made the king and his people fearful. They fractured Ganon’s power and sealed him… But the Sheikah were banished from the land ever since.”

MokBa fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 18, 2017

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Yeah, those comparison videos don't really make much sense to me, but I don't know a lot about hardware. Those color differences more likely stem from the differences in build after a year of development. Even still, I'm shelling out for the Switch because I no longer have a Wii U and being able to gently caress around in Hyrule on a portable system is very appealing. I don't live alone anymore so I don't always have access to the TV.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Yeah I'm a little bummed there aren't more dungeons, but this game is fundamentally different from any of the other games so far that judging it by dungeons seems very premature.

I can't believe I have to wait another six goddamn weeks. How am I supposed to spend my life until then? By working and going on dates and hanging out with friends like some kind of LOSER? No give me that Zelda now dammit! It's done! Let me have it!

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

But there is!

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

I love that this is in the suggestions

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/hsjh/

Who's going to wear this anywhere but to a con as a low-effort cosplay?

My very nerdy 18-year old coworker got that exact hoodie for Christmas and it is every bit as ridiculous as you can imagine. I certainly pretended like it was awesome though when he showed me.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

We're halfway between the Switch event and the release. And I. Am. DYING.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

BotW's art design is perfect.

WW's is also perfect.

MM is close.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Some more photos! One of them is fairly spoilery, so I'm going to link them:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/02/09/exclusive-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-screen-gallery.aspx

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Can't wait to run around Hyrule in my Official Nintendo® Switch™ T-Shirt.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Well now I'm gonna be turning off the in-game music and turning on RTJ so thanks for the idea!

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Maybe it's because I generally ignore the video gaming community, but I had no idea there could even be this kind of controversy over DLC being announced.

Arguing about the timeline of when DLC is announced is about as dumb as arguing over the timeline of the Zelda series.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Tell her to Git Gud.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

People... people still buy strategy guides?

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I just like collecting things. I usually just play through the games and then check an online guide for whatever optional overworld stuff I was supposed to do between dungeons.

That sounds fake but OK.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Literally the last guide I bought was for Wind Waker. This is blowing my mind! I figured they just kept printing them out of habit.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

My copy of Hyrule Historia is sandwiched between coffee books of Perry Bible Fellowship and The Art of Henry Darger so girls that come over can see that I'm just an all around loving weirdo.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Shut up about DLC chat and look at this link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...c356a4843f&th=1

Oh wait whoops.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I think Link in Zelda II could make a strong case for "shortest sword".

Cojawfee posted:

It's spelled Ganon.

This is a good loving joke.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Y'all are handling these spoilers very well. Keep up the good work.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I've been playing OoT3D, and it struck me just how drat SIMPLE this game is compared to everything we've seen of Breath of the Wild. Like, it may as well be the original NES game compared to what we're seeing now. As a kid, it really felt like I was exploring the kingdom of Hyrule. But now it's like playing through the abstract concept of Hyrule, and BotW is the real deal.

What it really made me realize though is just how drat glad I am that they've totally upended the formula established by ALttP. Obviously, I love these games and I love that formula, but Skyward Sword felt like they had finally hit a creative dead end. I really enjoyed it but I also would be fine if I never played it again – and I only went through it twice. Yeah, there are new items and new settings and new puzzles each time, but the games were still being based on a formula established by 20 year old technology.

BotW is not a game they could have really made before now. Yeah, it's taking a lot of cues from Elder Scrolls, but none of them were quite the massive and certainly never looked so goddamn good and smooth. I'm excited to see the new direction the series is gonna take from here on out. I'm hoping BotW actually is as good as it looks, but even if it isn't, we're getting a game unlike any in the series before.

I wish this post had been as cohesive as the thoughts in my head, but I've worked 25 hours in the last 2 days and it's 5 AM so gently caress off if you care.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

What should the new thread title be?

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I'm so excited for this game it's actually getting me aroused.

https://twitter.com/ziegsden/status/835211045799137281

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Yeah everyone please be careful with spoilers as we get closer to release and ESPECIALLY after release. I expect this thread to look like a redacted CIA document on Friday.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I work a 7/7 schedule and luckily the game comes out on my off-week so I'll get a few solid days of play in before heading back to work. But the real question is, when the gently caress during the day is my Switch gonna be delivered? I'm going to be an anxious mess all drat day waiting for that package.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

Should've preordered at a store so you could just rock up when it opens and start playing when you get home. Sorry 5pm amazon delivery bros

My love of sleep and my hatred of lines slightly overshadow my love for Zelda. Slightly.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Breath of the Wild: Future Worst Game in the Series

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Personally I thought I would mind the lack of dungeons a lot more than I do (without having played the game of course). But this game is such a radical departure that I love how much they lean into the open world. And now maybe they're combine everything they've learned with some more classic Zelda elements for future games.

If any game series needed a shot in the arm, it was Zelda. It kept going in one direction for 15 years and seriously needed retooling.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

The new thread title is ironic, guys. I hope.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If any of y'all spoil this poo poo in the thread I'm gonna come to your house and smash your Switch in front of your crying wife.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

a.lo posted:

Why is my wife crying

Cuz she likes Zelda too, of course. But also, because it felt slightly less mean than writing "while your kids cry".

But also, I spoiled myself on that scene anyway. It wasn't anything too big, but I realized I would've rather experienced it while playing the game, so I'm definitely going to avoid any further spoilers from here on out.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Calaveron posted:

I can't even remember the delays. When was the game originally slated for release?

2015 lmao

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Keiya posted:

Zelda never innovates, see, all these other games that borrowed from it do those things too!

I played HZD for four hours yesterday and it inherited my favorite aspect of Skyward Sword: a four hour tutorial with way too many cutscenes!

Seriously that game has everything I hate about most AAA games but the actual gameplay is very good so it should keep me occupied until Friday.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

The Tony Hawk series is really good you guys.

Please use spoiler tags and be smart today. Thank you.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I would've called it "Future best then worst then best" but that was very long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

This has been my phone background for the past 2 years.