Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
knowing apples history that's probably a bad assumption on my part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

cremnob posted:

why would apple ever use anyone else's filesystem in 2016

especially some ancient legacy poo poo like ntfs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol @ a bunch of Linux losers hating on ntfs. go back to your hosed up file systems that don't even have working permissions, let alone auditing, encryption, or compression.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ACLs are hard!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

as far as I can tell NTFS is actually p deece but so is ext4??

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
NTFS is better than ext4 because ext4 was designed with Linux and the limitations of Linux in mind.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I wouldn't call NTFS ACL permissions "working"

Try updating permissions for a volume that has a couple million files on it, or enabling auditing at all, god help you if you actually use compression or encryption.
NTFS will poo poo the bed so fast it's not even funny. Corrupted volume shadow copies are also a constant headache, and it's SO loving slow! Good luck backing up your data!

Two of my favorite retarded windows-as-a-fileserver things is that mounted folders do not support browsing previous versions of files, it MUST have a drive letter: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753975(v=ws.11).aspx
And if you have a directory full of user homes Explorer will show all of them as "My Documents" instead of the real subdirectory name http://serverfault.com/questions/566279/shared-home-folders-on-file-server-listed-as-my-documents

Especially that last one is hilarious because Microsoft pretty much said "eh, it's too complicated to fix so we won't" on their own technet forums

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the way permissions work is correct because each item needs a security descriptor otherwise the client has to compute it from parent descriptors every time.

also sounds like you've got a bad setup or something cause I've never had a problem w/ ntfs or file shares. Also wrt the home directories you are doing it really wrong somehow. you've got a shared drive and each folder is somehow flagged as a my documents link (which is a special link) instead of being a regular folder. Ive never seen user homes implemented in a way that would do what you're seeing.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
a real good way to do user homes nowadays is to mount a vhd for it from the network.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
NTFS sucks.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Nope. NTFS is the best

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

the way permissions work is correct because each item needs a security descriptor otherwise the client has to compute it from parent descriptors every time.

also sounds like you've got a bad setup or something cause I've never had a problem w/ ntfs or file shares. Also wrt the home directories you are doing it really wrong somehow. you've got a shared drive and each folder is somehow flagged as a my documents link (which is a special link) instead of being a regular folder. Ive never seen user homes implemented in a way that would do what you're seeing.

i'm p sure the documents and other "special" shell folders are just defined by the contents of the desktop.ini file within, still. it's not a special folder attribute or anything, just data read from a file within the container

so yeah, you could cause that by having some idiotic folder redirection setting that put everyone's "document" folders in the same place, rather than the bog standard of giving each profile a subfolder based on the username

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

Nope. NTFS is the best

it sucks, actually.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
praying to the posting gods to remove shaggar from this hallowed thread

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

online friend posted:

it sucks, actually.

yeah it gobbles a large one, and yet it's better than all the alternatives

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

infernal machines posted:

i'm p sure the documents and other "special" shell folders are just defined by the contents of the desktop.ini file within, still. it's not a special folder attribute or anything, just data read from a file within the container

so yeah, you could cause that by having some idiotic folder redirection setting that put everyone's "document" folders in the same place, rather than the bog standard of giving each profile a subfolder based on the username

The idiotic folder redirection is built right into AD, actually

It's the established standard since forever, both because lots of software doesn't support UNC so you need to map the path as a drive letter, and if generally want users to see as little as possible of the world outside of their little box of user data.

The site specific fuckup might be to redirect My Documents directly to the user folder via GPO instead of a Documents subdirectory but it seems like a very common annoyance. The best part is that it didn't appear on windows 2003, but the new behaviour has been the same since Vista, and still exists in Windows 10 / Server 2016 afaik. I haven't bothered looking into it too much, I just use a different utility than explorer.exe to browse those user directories.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

The Free Dictionary has not been updated yet

Acronym

Definition

APFS Australian Pink Floyd Show
APFS Apparent Places of Fundamental Stars
APFS Animal Production Food Safety (USDA)
APFS Afternoon Programmes Follow Shortly (website)
APFS Action Plan for Financial Services (EU)
APFS Armour Piercing Fin Stabilized (ammunition

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

error1 posted:

The idiotic folder redirection is built right into AD, actually

It's the established standard since forever, both because lots of software doesn't support UNC so you need to map the path as a drive letter, and if generally want users to see as little as possible of the world outside of their little box of user data.

The site specific fuckup might be to redirect My Documents directly to the user folder via GPO instead of a Documents subdirectory but it seems like a very common annoyance. The best part is that it didn't appear on windows 2003, but the new behaviour has been the same since Vista, and still exists in Windows 10 / Server 2016 afaik. I haven't bothered looking into it too much, I just use a different utility than explorer.exe to browse those user directories.

lmao. what's it like back in 2004? you know there's going to be a black president in four years? crazy right?

but seriously, that thing in ad is legacy as hell, you don't use that for a user profile or shell folders unless you want poo poo to break. you use folder redirection via gpo to map the profile folder to a unc path or if you have RDS/VDI use user profile disks like shaggs said

aslong as you don't override the defaults and push everyone's documents folder into the same location what was described simply doesn't happen and windows handles the appropriate folder ACLs on its own

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i don't know what the hell you're using that doesn't support unc paths but functions properly on windows 7, but it probably sucks

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

infernal machines posted:

it probably sucks

tbf this applies to most software

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

tbf this applies to most software

also most posters

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol drive letters.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

zfs stops working when your file system is 80% full lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
zfs takes massive amounts of memory

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

zfs is the absolute best

btrfs is getting there

apfs sounds like apple catching up to 2006 level technology but they will hail it as the most advanced fs of all time

ntfs has better permissions than any of the other ones but its garbo otherwise

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

spankmeister posted:

[apple product from the tim era] sounds like apple catching up to 2006 level technology but they will hail it as the most advanced [thing] of all time

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Check it out! Now you pay for something with the credit card info you already entered on [a website that isn't Amazon or Google or PayPal]!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it would be the most advanced fs in a consumer device that a human would want to use, yes

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

it would be the most advanced fs in a consumer device that a human would want to use, yes

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Consume this, Bitch.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Shaggar posted:

trash for Linux

mods

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

spankmeister posted:

zfs is the absolute best

btrfs is getting there

apfs sounds like apple catching up to 2006 level technology but they will hail it as the most advanced fs of all time

ntfs has better permissions than any of the other ones but its garbo otherwise

btrfs is rly bad

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
is apfs apple fs or app fs

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
btrfs kernel panicked my laptop like 8/10 times i booted it so gently caress btrfs

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

apfs is the most advanced file system ever created and the best

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mishaq posted:

apfs is the most advanced file system ever created

this is not true

mishaq posted:

and the best

probably the best tool for the job, yes.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

The Management posted:

this is not true

probably the best tool for the job, yes.

WOT is the best?????🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
no, the best file system was invented in 1975 by judy, a 73 year old retired librarian. she used it to catalogue her recipes.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only reason Linux losers don't use NTFS by default is because most distros have extremely bad compatibility so they're forced to use extremely inefficient and slow trash like ext3 and ext4. Or maybe its not the file systems fault but the fault of insanely poor I/O software. At the end of the day though Windows just reads and writes files way faster than free as in garbage software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

whatever happened to WinFS

• Locked thread