Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
will this new file system allow me to omit "--iconv=utf-8-mac,utf-8" from all my rsync commands? if not i don't really care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
did anyone say "ReiserFS: he murdered his wife" yet

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SpaceAceJase posted:

will it murder MY WIFE?

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

lol @ a bunch of Linux losers hating on ntfs. go back to your hosed up file systems that don't even have working permissions, let alone auditing, encryption, or compression.

NTFS really needs some kind of central ACL database instead of defining permissions individually on each object

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there are dynamic ACLs now but I haven't really looked into it. you're always going to need some kind of descriptors on the object otherwise theres no way to know how to secure it.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

there are dynamic ACLs now but I haven't really looked into it. you're always going to need some kind of descriptors on the object otherwise theres no way to know how to secure it.

sure but if you're trying to do a mass permissions change its absolutely painful to touch every single object when you could just be defining it on a parent object and then when you access an object have it parse the local ACLs and then the parent objects for anything that should be propagating to it. a db of folder hierarchy and permissions could do that, while leaving the clutter of individual file ACLs local to the object. would add a small amount of overhead to normal access but worth the trade-off when it comes to administrative tasks and who really cares about a bit of extra latency for some shared departmental drive.

or maybe dynamic acls fixes that and I haven't kept up[

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wait, so you want to worsen performance during the most common use case to improve it for occasional admin tasks?

how frequently are you touching acls anyway? everything should be defined with security groups, you're not fiddling with permissions for individual accounts

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

if you're starting from fresh that's fine, but when you're inheriting a gigantic lovely mess of legacy bad choices its extremely painful to fix and plenty of places are in that boat. then the merger or re-org or whatever happens and the permissions structure that you carefully laid out no longer works and new use cases come up and now you're touching every object again and hoping like hell someone didn't set something along the chain to block inheritance and gently caress everything up in the process. who cares if you tack a few ms on to the front of a file access request for a file server? the overhead is imperceptible to the user. I wouldn't advocate it as the default filesystem mode, but it would be useful for file server volumes

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ntfs does have inherited descriptors as well, but if you invalidate everything (i.e. want to migrate the whole structure) you likely still have to rebuild every descriptor, even if the ones on the files themselves contain little of interest

shouldn't be that common an occurrence anyway

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

apfs sounds good but tbqh i suspect it is the usual engineer stupidity about clean rewrites, where the new thing becomes a mess before it gets all the features and bugfixes necessary to make it a true hfs replacement

hopefully it turns out well but i rather doubt the end user experience will be improved to an extent at all proportional to the effort required

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

sure but if you're trying to do a mass permissions change its absolutely painful to touch every single object when you could just be defining it on a parent object and then when you access an object have it parse the local ACLs and then the parent objects for anything that should be propagating to it. a db of folder hierarchy and permissions could do that, while leaving the clutter of individual file ACLs local to the object. would add a small amount of overhead to normal access but worth the trade-off when it comes to administrative tasks and who really cares about a bit of extra latency for some shared departmental drive.

or maybe dynamic acls fixes that and I haven't kept up[
ive always created acl security groups for everything I need to apply permissions to so membership and access is controlled at the group level. dynamic access control is kind of a way to do that via user attributes instead of group membership

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

why didnt you click on murder

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lol @ using discretionary access control in 2016

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

who cares if you tack a few ms on to the front of a file access request for a file server? the overhead is imperceptible to the user. I wouldn't advocate it as the default filesystem mode, but it would be useful for file server volumes

when your users try to concurrently access files and your server can't handle a fraction of the load it previously could because of the compounded overhead they will care and so will your boss, and eventually you, too.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

atomicthumbs posted:

No ones made the "and distribute parts of her over several trees" part of the joke yet.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Red Square Bear posted:

No ones made the "and distribute parts of her over several trees" part of the joke yet.

thats a good 1

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

atomicthumbs posted:

Captain Foo posted:

Implementation of ReiserFS.
Titian, ca 1571.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

:eyepop:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

growing up a FAT kid

Nice!

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i have a theory that when steve died he had all the good programmers at apple interred with him like a pharaoh taking all his worldly belongings with him to the underworld

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Stymie posted:

i have a theory that when steve died he had all the good programmers at apple interred with him like a pharaoh taking all his worldly belongings with him to the underworld

maybe it's like the incas and so Steve still has his people and timc must forge ahead and bring new land and subjects to his name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Stymie posted:

forestall wasn't just the guy putting leather daddy textures on elements in OS X and iOS . turns out he probably was the reason the os worked so well

• Locked thread