Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

im afraid of all the bad software thats going to break when they move to a case sensitive file system

HFS+ can be formatted in case sensitive mode. everything is hilariously broken if you try to use it for anything non-unixy.

this has to be a beta limitation, no way in hell they can ship a case sensitive FS now. I'm not sure why you would even want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pardot posted:

in the docs, every time cow is mentioned but once it goes out of the way to qualify it with 'cow metadata', and the other spot is for the file/dir clone feature. it makes me think it's not cow all the time like zfs or bttrfs, just when you use the clone thing and the metadata.

metadata is always cow. data is when it's needed, like when there's a snapshot retaining a copy of the original. also unlike zfs the snapshots seem to be read only, there is only one writable version.

seems good enough for a file system for phones and laptops.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Powercrazy posted:

Case Sensitive File Systems are dogshit garbage.

symbolic names for files are dogshit garbage for dumb humans. we should just use inode numbers for everything.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

case insensitive poo poo is dumb

why?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my use case requires I have both file.txt and File.txt in the same directory!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
apparently lots of nerds are angry about case sensitivity. both Mac OS and windows have been running on case insensitive file systems since the 80s and users don't seem to have problems with it. obviously when Linux finally conquers the desktop it will show them what they've been missing all these years

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
using anything oracle is asking to get sued once they sense there's enough money to be made.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
some idiots using zfs on Linux in a major deployment will get their rear end sued for using oracle patents, and their blubbering about open source is not going to help them.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Larry Parrish posted:

I know you're not that bright but Explorer features aren't part of the NTFS spec.

nope

Microsoft posted:

NTFS supports two slightly different modes of operation that can be selected by the subsystem of the application interacting with NTFS. The first is fully case sensitive and demands that file names supplied by the application match the names stored on disk including case if the file on disk is to be selected. The second mode of operation is case preserving but not case sensitive. This means that applications can select files on the disk even if the supplied name differs in case from the name stored on the disk. Note that both modes preserve the case used to create the files. The difference in behavior noted here applies only when an application needs to locate an existing file. POSIX takes advantage of the full case sensitive mode, while MS-DOS, WOW, and Win32 subsystems use the case insensitive mode.

I.e. the file system supports a fully case-insensitive use mode. it's not in the applications.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol drive letters.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
zfs takes massive amounts of memory

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mishaq posted:

apfs is the most advanced file system ever created

this is not true

mishaq posted:

and the best

probably the best tool for the job, yes.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

BiohazrD posted:

*limits entire file path to 256 characters*

*is ntfs*

this is an idiocy of the Windows layer, ntfs doesn't have this limit. you can make long paths and then Windows programs will barf when they try to access it.

edit: gently caress

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
many years ago when I was bored at work I wrote a tool that creates an encrypted disk image in ntfs secondary resource forks. it turns out that the way ntfs permissions apply to resource forks is not exactly obvious, so I exploited a hole in the permissions of our corporate IT server to make a volume in the resource fork of some directory and hide all of my mp3s there.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it's been a long time but I think the parent directory counted it but if you checked properties on that directory it wouldn't show it. there was no way to tell where that space was going. most tools were not able to account for it because basically nothing on Windows actually knows about the secondary resource forks.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
'streams' is what ntfs calls them, but nothing in Windows really uses them. IIS had an exploit for years that allowed you to fetch the source for any file if you specified the main data stream in the URL

https://www.exploit-db.com/exploits/19118/

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if it had live metadata like beos that would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

who cares if you tack a few ms on to the front of a file access request for a file server? the overhead is imperceptible to the user. I wouldn't advocate it as the default filesystem mode, but it would be useful for file server volumes

when your users try to concurrently access files and your server can't handle a fraction of the load it previously could because of the compounded overhead they will care and so will your boss, and eventually you, too.

• Locked thread