Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

We were so close to getting official ZFS support in OSX, gently caress Oracle for crushing that dream :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I wouldn't call NTFS ACL permissions "working"

Try updating permissions for a volume that has a couple million files on it, or enabling auditing at all, god help you if you actually use compression or encryption.
NTFS will poo poo the bed so fast it's not even funny. Corrupted volume shadow copies are also a constant headache, and it's SO loving slow! Good luck backing up your data!

Two of my favorite retarded windows-as-a-fileserver things is that mounted folders do not support browsing previous versions of files, it MUST have a drive letter: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753975(v=ws.11).aspx
And if you have a directory full of user homes Explorer will show all of them as "My Documents" instead of the real subdirectory name http://serverfault.com/questions/566279/shared-home-folders-on-file-server-listed-as-my-documents

Especially that last one is hilarious because Microsoft pretty much said "eh, it's too complicated to fix so we won't" on their own technet forums

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

infernal machines posted:

i'm p sure the documents and other "special" shell folders are just defined by the contents of the desktop.ini file within, still. it's not a special folder attribute or anything, just data read from a file within the container

so yeah, you could cause that by having some idiotic folder redirection setting that put everyone's "document" folders in the same place, rather than the bog standard of giving each profile a subfolder based on the username

The idiotic folder redirection is built right into AD, actually

It's the established standard since forever, both because lots of software doesn't support UNC so you need to map the path as a drive letter, and if generally want users to see as little as possible of the world outside of their little box of user data.

The site specific fuckup might be to redirect My Documents directly to the user folder via GPO instead of a Documents subdirectory but it seems like a very common annoyance. The best part is that it didn't appear on windows 2003, but the new behaviour has been the same since Vista, and still exists in Windows 10 / Server 2016 afaik. I haven't bothered looking into it too much, I just use a different utility than explorer.exe to browse those user directories.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

"NTFS is the best"

-A windows user with literally zero alternatives

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

That's not an NTFS limit though, that's some ancient windows api legacy bullshit

And then explorer doesn't warn the user that the path is approaching the limit when they go bananas with nested, ridiculously descriptive folders
And then explorer doesn't switch over to the new API calls that support longer filenames when copying stuff or give you ANY help trying to correct the problem
And then explorer fails when you try to recover files through the "previous versions" system because the path is too long without actually telling you on which file it failed

:argh: MICROSOFT :argh:

• Locked thread