Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Pardot posted:

in the docs, every time cow is mentioned but once it goes out of the way to qualify it with 'cow metadata', and the other spot is for the file/dir clone feature. it makes me think it's not cow all the time like zfs or bttrfs, just when you use the clone thing and the metadata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

The Management posted:

HFS+ can be formatted in case sensitive mode. everything is hilariously broken if you try to use it for anything non-unixy.

this has to be a beta limitation, no way in hell they can ship a case sensitive FS now. I'm not sure why you would even want to.

Breaking aggressively incorrect software is a virtue. It's not like apps that need to like Spotlight/Finder or even NSFileManager can't just transparently provide the case-insensitivity for user convenience.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
FS-level case insensitivity as implemented is bigotry.

rear end.jpg and aß.jpg should be the same
and olé.txt and OLÉ.txt
and πooп.png and ΠooП.png
and カカ.gif and かか.gif

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Wow racial inequality

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
It doesn't make sense at all because userland can handle it.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

The Management posted:

apparently lots of nerds are angry about case sensitivity. both Mac OS and windows have been running on case insensitive file systems since the 80s and users don't seem to have problems with it. obviously when Linux finally conquers the desktop it will show them what they've been missing all these years

NTFS is case-sensitive and provides insensitivity at a higher level like normal.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

online friend posted:

shaggar was wrong

You really think it's worse than HFS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

online friend posted:

please point out where i said ntfs is worse than hfs

also lol ntfs is garbage, zfs > *

In the context of FSs used by Apple Shaggar is absolutely correct and even you could absolutely do much worse than NTFS, which has been very successful in terms of the sheer number of deployments. And everyone knows zfs is far too encumbered. And wow, I'm shocked that an FS made decades later would be more technically advanced.

• Locked thread