Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

online friend posted:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/06/digging-into-the-dev-documentation-for-apfs-apples-new-file-system/

APFS is apple's new filesystem and replacement for HFS+, and it's loving awesome :hellyeah:

some of the features it includes:

- write coalescing with copy-on-write
- snapshotting/cloning
- full disk encryption (AES-XTS and AES-CBC) with multiple modes of operation
- space sharing
- asynchronous TRIM
- fast directory sizing

we all know HFS+ is Dog poo poo Garbage, and it's pretty sick that there's finally a viable replacement. currently it's only a developer preview and lacks a lot of functionality that will probably be a dealbreaker for most users (time machine, filevault, etc), and it can't be used as a startup disk yet, but you can still try it on other disks and play around with it

also, filesystem chat?

Your file system is a piece of poo poo.

Apple should have licensed NTFS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

maniacdevnull posted:

lol that they didn't follow thru on zfs because oracle is loving toxic

zfs is trash for Linux

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ntfs is so good

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ntfs is the worlds best file system

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
NTFS is by far the best file system. everything else is garbage for Linux.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

why is ntfs better than ext4

for every reason. its just better at everything

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
same difference

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
whats really good is NTFS. it all the most useful features built in

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
because they want it to work

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
knowing apples history that's probably a bad assumption on my part

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol @ a bunch of Linux losers hating on ntfs. go back to your hosed up file systems that don't even have working permissions, let alone auditing, encryption, or compression.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
NTFS is better than ext4 because ext4 was designed with Linux and the limitations of Linux in mind.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the way permissions work is correct because each item needs a security descriptor otherwise the client has to compute it from parent descriptors every time.

also sounds like you've got a bad setup or something cause I've never had a problem w/ ntfs or file shares. Also wrt the home directories you are doing it really wrong somehow. you've got a shared drive and each folder is somehow flagged as a my documents link (which is a special link) instead of being a regular folder. Ive never seen user homes implemented in a way that would do what you're seeing.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
a real good way to do user homes nowadays is to mount a vhd for it from the network.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Nope. NTFS is the best

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

i'm talking about plugging it into a windows computer and having permissions issues despite an admin account because oh no, the users folder is owned by the account on the other computer! click here to take loving forever taking ownership of everything and maybe some things still won't work

why would an administrator local to one computer be able to access to files of a local administrator on another computer? that would be insecure and stupid.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

error1 posted:

"NTFS is the best"

-A windows user with literally zero alternatives

you can use any open sores file system with windows but you never would because they are all garbage for idiots stuck on Linux

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Linux users: "you cant, like, own data man. security is bad!"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there are dynamic ACLs now but I haven't really looked into it. you're always going to need some kind of descriptors on the object otherwise theres no way to know how to secure it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

sure but if you're trying to do a mass permissions change its absolutely painful to touch every single object when you could just be defining it on a parent object and then when you access an object have it parse the local ACLs and then the parent objects for anything that should be propagating to it. a db of folder hierarchy and permissions could do that, while leaving the clutter of individual file ACLs local to the object. would add a small amount of overhead to normal access but worth the trade-off when it comes to administrative tasks and who really cares about a bit of extra latency for some shared departmental drive.

or maybe dynamic acls fixes that and I haven't kept up[
ive always created acl security groups for everything I need to apply permissions to so membership and access is controlled at the group level. dynamic access control is kind of a way to do that via user attributes instead of group membership

• Locked thread