Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Random Stranger posted:

I wouldn't read too much into the German. The Village is very cosmopolitan.

Yeah, I think the German is irrelevant. Number 2 tells him "Au reviour" which is French for "until I see you again" and Cobb responds with "Auf wiedersehen" which is German for "until I see you again". Just being Cosmopolitan is all. Although, the "ok" hand shape from the eyebrow is concerning, we also saw the shopkeep at the beginning do it, and Number 6 made a specific note of it happening before he left the shop. When Number 6 first meets Cobb in the hospital, and Number 6 asks how he got there, Cobb tells him he was last in Germany before being abducted and taken to the village. So not really a surprise he might speak German as a reflex, if he'd been immersed in the language for a while.

What I do find concerning about Cobb is that Number 2 refers to him by name, not by a number. We don't know how long Cobb has been there, he tells Number 6 "Three, four weeks? Months?" in the hospital before he jumps out the window, killing himself. Of course, Number 6 never sees the body, just takes the doctor's word for it. Later Number 6 meets the woman who says she only knew Cobb for a little while, and that they met in the village. Nothing concrete on how long Cobb (or even the woman) had been there. But even though the woman is working for Number 2 presumably tracking Cobb (possibly while Cobb is already working for them?) and later Number 6, she seems to genuinely want to help Cobb and Number 6 escape, and seems upset when the captain insinuates that she's been caught saying, "We're all pawns, my dear". And the fact that Cobb asks Number 2 not to be too hard on her means she probably wasn't supposed to be helping them try to escape.

I'm probably putting more thought into this than the writers did, but it would seem that Cobb was there long enough to give them all the information they wanted on him, which I'm guessing wasn't enough to convince them to let him go, so he begins working with them. There's machinations within machinations, as the woman is helping Cobb and then Number 2 try to escape, possibly all while Cobb is working for "his new masters" and while she's supposed to be presumably monitoring the both of them. I guess getting to Number 6 was so important that Cobb helping to do it was enough to get him a release from the Village, even though he's still working for whomever runs the village. But I think I recall hearing that not everything is revealed by the end of the series, so either it wasn't able to be added in, the writers wanted to keep it ambiguous and not provide answers, or there just aren't any answers to give, and they're just making it all up for the intrigue without any extraneous "world building."

I know I've seen the scene at the beginning where Rover is attacking Number 6 on the beach, and I'm pretty sure I've seen the very ending scene of the series, because my Mom was a fan back in the day, but I don't recall anything else about the series, so I guess I'll keep watching, and see if any memories are jogged free, or if it's all new to me.

Random Stranger posted:

That wasn't the theme in the US. This was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iaR3WO71j4

("They've given you a number, and they've taken 'way your name," huh?)

Eh, that's a common thing in spy fiction. Destroy your real identity so your past can't be used against you at all, and give you a number (James Bond being 007) so you're all mysterious, or in the case of the Village, not a person. Of course, spy fiction makes being a spy more badass than it usually is. Most spies are just people with access to information who can be bullied or coerced into giving up that information to enemy powers, often times because they have some secret shame that can be exploited. It's easier to get someone who's already got the access to give you what you want than it is to try and insert someone, and get them to that level of trust (or try to brute force their way into it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

The Prisoner aping the other villagers because he's unsure of Nadia was interesting, if only because it makes me question (especially in light of the previous episode in our playlist) how much the other villagers are also playing along. That's part of the insidiousness of the place I'm sure, even those who aren't converted might as well be since everybody is keeping up appearances because they can't trust anyone else. He's now using the phrases and gestures they use, on the surface he's as much a part of the village as anybody else with the exception of his frequent escape attempts... and based on what others have said he'll soon be moving away from focusing on that aspect of things.

I think that's No. 6's biggest problem (do we even know his name? does he?): his ego. He's got a bad case of Protagonism, so he thinks it's all about him in this village, like everyone there is for the express purpose to break him. He forgets that they're all there either because they've been broken and are useful in helping to break others, or because they're like him and haven't broken. He expects others to tell him everything and trust him, but he can't tell them anything or trust them. With this last episode, we're starting to see how someone can fall in line and play the good Villager. And, he now knows the elaborate lengths they'll go through to get him to talk, including enlisting trusted people from his past, and making up whole sets from his past life. Not only can he not trust other villagers, he can't even trust reality around him.

They kinda spoiled the ending with the replica office, by having No. 2 tell No. 6 that Nadia is waking up in an exact replica of her room at home. It's like they were warning him, and he was just too stubborn to listen.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

Despite Number 6's claim, I can answer "Why?": "Why not?"

Why?
Because.

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

I laughed when Number Six poured out the cocoa (or whatever they were serving him before bed), poured a drink of water, and then got drugged anyway.

Was Madam Olga actually a spy or was Number Six already playing them at that point? I get the feeling like she might get hauled into the Village regardless of the situation.

I'm pretty sure he was faking being drugged, so they wouldn't think anything was up, and still take him into their thing that night, where he could do some "lucid dreaming" and control the dream to make it look like No. 2 is the mastermind behind everything. I would think the Madame was NOT a spy, and that was just part of No. 6 controlling things, but who really knows, since they didn't have much information on C. Could have been she was a spy.

Trying to make No. 2 look like the mastermind was a bit flimsy, since you'd figure whoever was REALLY in charge of the Village would have vetted everyone who was going to be No. 2, and probably would have already known about that.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

The best moment in this one is when the Prisoner is on the dream machine screen storming through the lab doors and Number 2 ACTUALLY TURNS AROUND as if he's actually coming in.
Even though I knew No. 6 was on the table there, and what they were watching was just a dream, I also was expecting him to come in the door, for just the barest of seconds.

Tiggum posted:

That could go either way, I think.
Yeah, I'm not certain either way. He pours out his drugged tea WAY too obviously, like he wasn't even trying to hide it, and carrying the water glass with him to the room made it seem like he was taunting Control. But then he watered down the drug and looked at the files without them knowing, so he still WANTED to be taken in and made to dream, so he could gently caress with them. It's like, on the one hand he tried to play it cool so they would still take him in, like he didn't know what was going on (watering down the drug and reading the files) but on the other hand, he's all brash like "I know your plan and I'm not going to drink your drugged tea" like he doesn't want them to bring him in. Just kind of a confusing scene. No. 2 knows No. 6 suspects something, since he's pointed out the needle marks, and his making note of No. 14, but he doesn't know the details, as far as No. 2 knows.

Tiggum posted:

I'm pretty sure that was just #6 loving with him.
Right, that was definitely just No. 6 loving with No. 2, but No. 2 just seemed REALLY bothered by it, like he might think their Masters would suspect he was a double agent of some sort. But it was probably just all anxiety about failing their Masters so completely. Not just failing to get information out of No. 6, which would have been bad, but having No. 6 turn it around on them, and actively feed them bad information.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

I remember watching this episode as a kid, or at least the last few minutes while they're dancing around in the back of the trailer after leaving the village. I vaguely remember the "congress" with the white robes and black and white faces, but no details past that. I just knew it was a show called The Prisoner that my mom liked when she was younger.

The one thing I do remember my mom saying was that during the intro, when you have No. 6 ask, "Who is No. 1?" and No. 2 always responds with "You are No. 6," she was of the opinion that they weren't saying "You are No. 6" but that they were saying "You are, No. 6". So they were kind of spoiling it in intro of every episode, but never making a big deal about it. And then in the end, well, they treat that answer as inconsequential.

Still some unanswered questions (What is Rover, and how does it work? Who actually built the village and why (though York_M_Chan's answer that it was built by No. 6, and his guilt over it is why he resigned is as good an answer as any)?), but I have to wonder how much of that is world building we expect with our modern television shows, with Wikias where everything has to be explained, but just wasn't done back in those days. Rover was there to be an enforcer. The why of his existence wasn't really thought out by any of the writers, they just needed some crazy inhuman enforcer for the Village, and that's what they come up. It has no back story, it has no technical manual explaining how it's all supposed to work. It just is, and it just does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Thinking about who his performance reminded me of, and now I'm sad that I'll never see Leo McKern and Brian Blessed in a shout off.

• Locked thread