Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
faint praise. and snickers.

P.J. O'Rourke, former editor of the old National Lampoon magazine from the 70's (the most non PC and hilarious rag ever published), author of the short story First Blowjob , member of the prestigious conservative 'tank the CATO Institute, humorist, author of many funnybooks ( your homework: read Parliament of Whores ; it explains so much) has endorsed Hillary Clinton, sorta, kinda, maybe.

Link: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/05/11/p-j-o-rourke-i-m-endorsing-hillary-clinton-the-devil-we-know.html

You must read this. You simply must. It's classic PJ. Read all his books, you'll not be dissapointed. Especially Holidays in Hell, Don't Vote, It Just Encourages the Bastards, etc.

An excerpt:

(sung to the tune of Your a Mean One, Mr. Grinch):

You’re a smug one, Hillary,
You really are a snoot,
You’re as cuddly as a cactus, you’re as charming as a newt, Hillary,
You’re a bad banana in an garish and expensive power suit!

You’re a limousine liberal, Hillary,
Your heart’s an empty hole,
Your brain is full of Sidney Blumenthal, you have boiled kale in your soul, Hillary,
I endorse you with a thirty-nine-and-a-half foot pole!

Heh. Whatta gem.

zimboe has issued a correction as of 14:46 on Jun 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded
Errata:

Endersement?
Maybe he was in Na Joisey at the time.
Link to a video wich may not work:
http://wonkette.com/601578/pj-orourke-hopes-to-do-for-donald-trump-what-he-did-to-national-lampoon

Excerpt:
"The Republicans finally got all thier poo poo in a single bag, wrapped a suit around it and behold! Donald Trump."

e:
And another thing:

ALL CANDIDATES SUCK.

In all honesty, that should be the subforum title.
Refute my reasoning.

A link giving some history of NatLamp:
http://www.salon.com/2015/09/24/p_j_orourke_on_why_trump_will_collapse_ann_coulters_a_fraud_and_how_national_lampoon_created_modern_comedy/

zimboe has issued a correction as of 15:15 on Jun 17, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

what

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded

SAY WHAT AGAIN! I DARE YOU, I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
like pj o'rourke's appeal, I don't understand

the national lampoon radio hour was pretty good though

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded

Al! posted:

"Radio Dinner" is on YouTube. One of the first and best of the albums. Includes "Catch It And You Keep It!" A hysterical game show parody, which I thinks should be resurrected as a real game show.Check it out, it's funny as poo poo.
Where they throw prizes to the contestants from the top of a ten-story building.
gently caress I'm a genius. I should be working for Showtime.

NARRATOR: "What Ron doesn't know is that that American Tourister suitcase contains THREE SOLID GOLD BARS At 84 Kg EACH!"
"COME ON DOWN! KIM KARDASIAN! Catch this brand-new 2016 Mercedes Maybach!

The ratings would be through the roof.

zimboe has issued a correction as of 16:12 on Jun 17, 2016

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
It's like a space alien trying to learn English.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

The Larch posted:

It's like a space alien trying to learn English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upQuq4HsA-8

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded
Found it.
Here it is: Catch it and You Keep It:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NewSO3RzKZg

zimboe has issued a correction as of 16:11 on Jun 17, 2016

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

P.J. O'Rourke posted:

Count me the Iago of your supporters...

i don't know if that self-comparison was completely thought through tbh

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
IN 1884, MERIDIAN TIME PERSONNEL MET IN WASHINGTON TO CHANGE EARTH TIME. First words said was that only 1 day could be used on EArth to not change the 1 day bible. SO THEY APPLIED THE 1DAY.... AND IGNORED THE OTHER 3 DAYS. The bible time was wrong then and it proved wrong today. THIS IS A MAJOR LIE has so much evil feed from it's wrong. No man on Earth has no belly-button, it proves every believer on Earth a liar

Children will be blessed for KILLING OF EDUCATED ADULTS Who Ignore 4 Simultaneous Days Same Earth Rotation. Practicing Evil ONEness - Upon Earth of Qaudrants. Evil Adult Crime VS Youth - Supports Lie of Integration. 1 Educated Are Most Dumb. Not 1 Human Except Dead 1. Man is paired, 2 Half 4 Self.

EARTH HAS 4 CORNER
SIMULTANEOUS 4-DAY TIME CUBE WITHIN SINGLE ROTATION
4 CORNER DAYS PROVES 1DAY 1 GOD IS TAUGHT EVIL.
IGNORANCE OF TIMECUBE4 SIMPLE MATH IS RETARDATION AND EVIL EDUCATION DAMNATION.

CUBELESS AMERICANS DESERVE - AND SHALL BE EXTERMINATED

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

he's genuinely pretty drat funny, but just the idea that 'funny dude' translates to 'also very smart and wise' is always absurd no matter what side does it. He pretty much got his CATO slot because he was someone decently known who agreed with their poo poo and it snowballed from there into pretending he's some beacon of wisdom.

But yea as for appeal in general hell I disagree with near everything he's said as a genuine opinion but I still like his stuff, dude's got a good sense of humor if you like the gonzo poo poo.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
wow O'Rourke writes like a douchebag now

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
she a witch

one line paragraph

like an irl witch

maybe also scarlett ohara

italicized foreign words

witch

welp thanx for reading gotta go record an episode of Wait Wait Dont Tell Me now

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Whadda ya know will always be the superior but underrated NPR quiz show to wait wait please don't make me listen to Mo Rocca again

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
He had some good lines, to be fair.

quote:

Making fun of born-again Christians is like hunting dairy cows with a high powered rifle and scope.

The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it.

I think it's been hard for people to understand how Islam can be a good religion, and yet the Islamists are evil. Those of us who have had experience with Islam understand this, just as we understand the difference between snake handlers and people going to church on Sunday morning.

Don't send funny greeting cards on birthdays or at Christmas. Save them for funerals, when their cheery effect is needed.

I think the Baby Boom does have a tendency to get its nose in everything. The Greatest Generation had a better tendency to leave people alone. Of course, they also had a better tendency to hate everybody's guts.

A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat.

Gun violence has cost us too many political leaders, and hardly ever the worst ones.

To mistrust science and deny the validity of scientific method is to resign your job as a human. You'd better go look for work as a plant or wild animal.

Watching Republicans in Washington is like watching lemmings, if lemmings jumped into cesspools instead of off cliffs.

The most brilliant satire of all time was 'A Modest Proposal' by Jonathan Swift. You'll notice how everything got straightened out in Ireland within days of that coming out.

I'm a member of the 1960s generation. We didn't have any wisdom.

e: He always sucks on NPR quiz shows however. Talking isn't writing.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i rolled my eyes at like eight of those

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

sean10mm posted:

He had some good lines, to be fair.

e: He always sucks on NPR quiz shows however. Talking isn't writing.

I find propogating the myth of the lemming very triggering.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mirthless posted:

IN 1884, MERIDIAN TIME PERSONNEL MET IN WASHINGTON TO CHANGE EARTH TIME. First words said was that only 1 day could be used on EArth to not change the 1 day bible. SO THEY APPLIED THE 1DAY.... AND IGNORED THE OTHER 3 DAYS. The bible time was wrong then and it proved wrong today. THIS IS A MAJOR LIE has so much evil feed from it's wrong. No man on Earth has no belly-button, it proves every believer on Earth a liar

Children will be blessed for KILLING OF EDUCATED ADULTS Who Ignore 4 Simultaneous Days Same Earth Rotation. Practicing Evil ONEness - Upon Earth of Qaudrants. Evil Adult Crime VS Youth - Supports Lie of Integration. 1 Educated Are Most Dumb. Not 1 Human Except Dead 1. Man is paired, 2 Half 4 Self.

EARTH HAS 4 CORNER

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sean10mm posted:

He always sucks on NPR quiz shows however. Talking isn't writing.

yeah i pretty much only know him from WWDTM and he sounds like a smug prick

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Aliquid posted:

yeah i pretty much only know him from WWDTM and he sounds like a smug prick

he has a voice that has the same effect seeing Sean Hannity's face has on many people, just an instinctive thought of 'someone should smack this dude' pops in when you hear it even if he's not saying anything that bad.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
He peaked like 25 years ago, so we're seeing a guy who was 40% funny 60%
rear end in a top hat in his prime a generation ago now running on creative fumes.

I am not surprised he looked at Trump and went LOL gently caress THIS poo poo though. PJ's politics are hot garbage but he's not quite THAT stupid.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

it's illegal in my country to say the holocaust never happened

but guess what

the holocaust happened

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

NPR stands for Liberal Weenie Radio.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

sean10mm posted:

He peaked like 25 years ago, so we're seeing a guy who was 40% funny 60%
rear end in a top hat in his prime a generation ago now running on creative fumes.

:agreed:

tbh, his joke construction is pretty dated

3/4 of those one liners posted sound like they'd get delivered with a spinning bow tie and a cigar puff

Mirthless posted:

EARTH HAS 4 CORNER

:agreed:

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i read his books when i was kid, right alongside the dave barry ones, and maybe he's part of why i was a loving high school chickenhawk but i did like his writing. haven't revisited it once since. let's see what i think of this article

yeah that was a lovely article. i swear in the 80s/90s he at least wrote in paragraphs. that was kind of depressing to read. good to know i left something behind at the right time i guess

like, there was one about his international travels and it was all right wing and un-pc and poo poo but i feel like i picked up some knowledge that i haven't had to burn out of my brain with a cigarette lighter since, like he at least put in a fairly poignant anti-apartheid essay in my high school opinion. i don't know anything about this radio poo poo, i bet that's excruciating, i can barely stand listening to the good npr

edit: in an era when we're collecting every random-rear end republican who endorses hillary it's nice to know we can throw the corpse of the funny one on the pile

editedit: i bet this explains my politics and my sense of humor loll

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 03:19 on Jun 19, 2016

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The King of Sandusky Ohio was a very funny short story.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

oystertoadfish posted:

i read his books when i was kid, right alongside the dave barry ones, and maybe he's part of why i was a loving high school chickenhawk but i did like his writing. haven't revisited it once since. let's see what i think of this article

yeah that was a lovely article. i swear in the 80s/90s he at least wrote in paragraphs. that was kind of depressing to read. good to know i left something behind at the right time i guess

like, there was one about his international travels and it was all right wing and un-pc and poo poo but i feel like i picked up some knowledge that i haven't had to burn out of my brain with a cigarette lighter since, like he at least put in a fairly poignant anti-apartheid essay in my high school opinion. i don't know anything about this radio poo poo, i bet that's excruciating, i can barely stand listening to the good npr

edit: in an era when we're collecting every random-rear end republican who endorses hillary it's nice to know we can throw the corpse of the funny one on the pile

editedit: i bet this explains my politics and my sense of humor loll

i was obsessed with dave barry as a preteen and kind of rediscovered him much later and realized ahhh poo poo this is where i got all my jokes.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
I think for a clearer picture of what this endorsement means, we need to look back to Erma Bombeck's rejection of Nixon because faaaaaaart pisssssss

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I remember P.J. O'Rourke wrote this paragraph about teenagers rolling a car in a cornfield and it was super funny

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Al! posted:

i was obsessed with dave barry as a preteen and kind of rediscovered him much later and realized ahhh poo poo this is where i got all my jokes.

lol i havent gone back to it. i bet im unconsciously ripping him off

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i only know him from old wait wait don't tell me shows and being on that show is like being terminally lame, with a bad case of fail

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know P.J. O'Rourke from when he shows up on Bill Maher and I have to figure out which one of those two I hate most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Todd Carrol and Ted Mann were funnier

http://www.beltssuspenders.com/download/8108371045/utterly-monstrous-mind-roasting-summer-of-oc-and-stiggs/

• Locked thread