Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'll be Columbus again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

E2: and I won't be vacationed into picking Phil 3rd or whatever overall this year (because he's obviously going first)

I vote we split up Phil's goals and assists like Gretzky in the 80s, just to keep things fair.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

We're still missing a bunch of people. Is this going ahead?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

we are close, soon we shall hatch

For some reason this calls to mind a clutch of corpse flies emerging from a bloated body. Thanks.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Congrats on not picking first again Boomer!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Sorry if I missed it, but do we have an official start date?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

lazerwolf posted:

Wednesday the 6th at 10 AM

Thanks! Sorry, somehow I missed that above the draft order

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Flyinglemur posted:

I probably missed it somewhere but are we using a site like yahoo or something like that or am I expected to know how much each player costs against the cap and keep track of that as I draft? Because I know this might be hard to believe with how awesome I am as a poster and stuff but I'm pretty loving dumb about this poo poo in real life.

And most other stuff too.

Fill your picks into the spreadsheet here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1USAL3-EVziJcfWq-CTtAQETjt5AFZCGFXdOc8PpsFR4/edit

You can look up a player's salary on generalfanager.ca or a similar site.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

That's unexpected.

First overall pick is a curse in these things. Ovie's a better choice than Hall, but I know who I'm taking at that spot.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yeah that's the dude I would've taken. Short of a bizarre sophmore slump or another injury, he'll be challenging for the Art Ross this season.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm not convinced Stamkos is one of the top 5 centres in the league, let alone one of the top 5 players. This draft is weird.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yeah this is fine. We have the whole summer guys. Hockey isn't going to be back anytime soon sadly.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hey furnaceface you can pick now

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

I pick Jean Bleau

Ooh la la!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Okay I agonized over this decision because I hate selecting older players, but I'm going to take

Anze Kopitar - C - 6'4" 225lbs - Shoots L

Kopitar fills the most important position in the game for me, that is a big minute two way centre who can score at a 70+ point clip. He's 4 or 5 years older than I'd like, but he's incredibly talented and hopefully the heir apparent to Pavel Datsyuk in the elder statesman dominant two way force role. His contract isn't optimal at $10M per, but that's the price you pay for two cups. His possession stats have been off the charts pretty much since he entered the league, but that's likely a product of the boring suck fest 'system' that LA plays and I figure we'll be a bit more creative than that. I'm mostly just interested in his versatility and general indefatigable nature, he'll anchor my first PP and PK and probably play 20+ minutes a night.

I considered a bunch of younger players here (mostly because I'm not keen on anyone on the bad side of the ThinkTank graph*), but fingers crossed he'll buck that trend. And by fingers crossed, I mean please for the love of god buck that trend I don't want a $10M anvil dragging his Jason Allisonesque rear end around the ice for the next decade.

In no way shape or form is he a previously deceased corpse recently reanimated to feast on the flesh of the living. No way, no sir.

*not my graph

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 7, 2016

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 7, 2016

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

That is sick.

You should have kept it though it was funny.

Nah, I'd prefer not to be reminded of it in the future

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hurry up and pick Paulocast, I have a train to catch in an hour
e: Tofes, messaged you my list. Sorry but I gotta run

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 8, 2016

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Okay I take Cory schneider.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Can I pick yet?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Okay after much consideration I take TJ Brodie

Paulocast you're up.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 10, 2016

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Didn't realize it got back to me so quickly. I take Max Domi.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I was flipping through my girlfriend's yearbook the other day and discovered that she went to high school with both Taylor Hall and Ryan Ellis. She had some idea that they went onto play hockey, but had no idea they were any good. Apparently Taylor Hall was exactly as big a douche as he seems and would regularly change in the hallway for some reason and was a giant show off. Also he'd apparently try (and fail) to date multiple women at once because he thought he was the poo poo. Ryan Ellis was apparently completely invisible. Neither of them graduated.

That is my NHLers in high school story.

i am the bird posted:

If I'm under the cap floor toward the end, can I draft gay cadaver ankles

edit: n/m realized we're drafting 23. for some reason, I thought we were just doing a starting line-up. Can't wait to get Pronger AND Datsyuk.

How would you even get a starting lineup above the cap floor? The cap floor is $54M this year. Six guys would have to make an average of $9M per to reach that.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This is officially an oxymoron

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Nino Niederreiter.

I like your style, the Tim Murray of the SAS Fantasy draft.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Not sure he's worth the contract but I'll take Kyle Okposo

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

I'm not a huge fan of Hamonic. I think he's like a more Canadian version of Adam Larsson.

I never really heard a good perspective on Adam Larsson from a Devils' fan. Is he going to be a 22-25 minute a night guy playing all situations for the Oilers, or is he maxed out as a second pairing shutdown guy?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ah man. Can you please pick David Krejci again. :smith:

Okay, I take Jeff Skinner and pray his brain isn't so scrambled he never plays again.

Skinner-Kopitar-Okposo
XXX-Domi-XXX

Brodie-XXX

Schneider

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

tofes posted:

Are you saying the Oilers made a bad decision???

Is there anyone outside of Edmonton rooting for anything other than a Ryane Clowe-esque plunge off a cliff for Lucic?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'll take Alex Edler. Overlooked as one of the better minute munching shutdown defencemen out there.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yaya posted:

I like Edler a lot. I'm not sure if he's worth 5 mil, but he's one of the better defensemen still available and GMs are willing to lose their god drat minds over good shutdown d-men, apparently.

He's very much worth $5m considering that's only slightly above average for a defenceman these days. He's up and down offensively in recent years, but he's settled into a role as an excellent shutdown guy. At worst, he pairs well in a defensive role. He's one of those guys who makes high profile mistakes so everyone thinks is terrible but overall is a positive possession guy and very reliable.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'll take Charlie Coyle

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yeah I'm not sure about Jimmy Vesey. I thought about him, but he screams 'not gonna be a star' to me. He's already 23 (and several months older than Johnny Gaureau) and he took a step back offensively this year. Lots of teams seem incredibly eager to offer him primo NHL minutes to get him under contract, so I guess he'll put up points but he feels like the LW version of Justin Schultz. If he was ripping poo poo up as a freshman like the other guys you mentioned then I'd be more inclined to believe he might be an NHL level scorer, but he didn't break out until age 21. The hype around him reminds me of Matt Gilroy of Fabian Brunnstrom, and yeah that was stupid.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I wasn't planning on taking yet another centre but I'll take Bo Horvat.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I take Dmitri Kulikov

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm probably much more in need of forwards, but I'll take Ben Hutton. He'll likely be on the first PP unit with the Sedins and Eriksson this year and is basically the Canucks' #3 defenceman now that Hamhuis has fled for Victor E. Greener pastures.I keep selecting Canucks for some reason despite the fact they suck. This is probably not a good thing.

Skinner-Kopitar-Coyle
Horvat-Domi-Okposo

Brodie-Edler
Kulikov-Hutton

Schneider

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

A bunch of folks got skipped I guess

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'll take Josh Bailey

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Paulocaust posted:

Give me Curtis Lazar because I am broke

Neal-Getzlaf-P. Kane
Ladd-Jenner-Marleau
?-Lazar-?

Weber-Seabrook
Enstrom-Ceci

Neuvirth

You're going to have a serious depth issue, but honestly that's probably the best win now team out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'll take Jared "Fuckin'" McCann

• Locked thread