Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I want to make the Coyotes great, and I think that's the least likely team to be stepping on someone's toes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

tofes posted:

I forget which team I am interim GM of but we select PK Subban

With Shea Weber still on the board? Well I know which team you're not the GM of.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I was hoping for Seguin to fall but Vladimir Tarasenko isn't a bad runner-up.

Goals are hard to come by in the NHL, and the top ten goal-scorers under 25 in the past two seasons are Seguin and this guy. He's also locked to a very friendly long-term contract at $7.5m until 2024.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Doughty spent the last half of the season paired with a literal pylon who shall remain nameless and hopefully undrafted.

Are we talking Scuderi?
I think you're allowed to skirt the "don't mention undrafted players" rule when they're empirically terrible.

Also let it be known I think it is a dumb rule. Stifling legitimate conversation/berating in the hope that someone not mentioning your "diamond in the rough" prospect lets him be forgotten is silly

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 8, 2016

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Panarin was in the 300s last year. Even writing him off as a by-product of Kane's stupid-good season I have to imagine he makes the biggest jump.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Letang is a great pick. The only issue I have with him is his health, but that's a knock against a lot of guys. He's a fitness freak all the same so if he stays lucky with injuries it's not impossible for him to be playing well into his 30s (and I surely hope he does) but his style is also the sort that another concussion or a blown knee could turn him into a pumpkin.

He lives and dies by his skating.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Well I'm pretty sure it's been two hours so I'm going to go ahead and pick Evgeny Kuznetsov because he's young and super good. He had a bad playoffs but I have no doubt he's a consistent 70 point player moving forward and him and Malkin could make all the weird faces to each other.

You just guaranteed Don Cherry will never support your team in two easy picks.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

stab posted:

This might be a bit of a reach but I'm not spending the year with 40 year olds as my 1d.

So yes, reaching for a dman this year. I can't spell his name at all and I'm not going to try. He's young and on a good contract. Con: He's a Flyer.

I draft Shayne :ghost: :tbear:

Wow... this one feels early.
He's small and his suppression statistics are really, really bad but he was nowhere on my list so I'm personally glad you picked him.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm so glad Sean Monahan made his way to me. He's a big young center who scored 60 points the last two seasons. He's an all-around player. He can score, he can set folks up. He's young and he'll only get better.

Mentholmoose is up.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Got it for you, and Aye Doc is up.

Also I like this pick in conjunction with Seguin. He was just too old for me to build around or I would have gone with him since he's used to playing with Russian snipers.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

FBS posted:

Intangibles are dropping hard this year, it seems.

I'm looking forward to someone having to pick Dustin Brown to reach the cap floor.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

tofes posted:

I seriously don't understand how you guys let Pietrangelo fall to the third round

His fancy stats put his "elite" qualifications into question. I say this as a fella who picked him in the first round last year.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aye Doc posted:

no, which makes me feel dumb for not seeing alex pietrangelo on the board

the Florida Panthers select Hampus Lindholm. his possession stats are great, his expected goal numbers are very good, his zone transition play is great and he drives possession and scoring chances in a pretty ridiculous way. he's 22 and under control for 4 more years. my swedish defense will reign supreme

drat yoooou. He was so close I thought he would fall 'cause he doesn't score a lot.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I've got 2/3rds of a 1st line and the #1 defensemen I covet are all starting to fall so I'd like to nip this in the bud.

The Arizona Coyotes select Seth Jones
He's a 21 year-old mammoth of a blue-liner already well on his way to being an elite player in the NHL. There are a few better young defensemen I considered but what pushed him over the edge for me was his fresh, long-term contract and slight edge in age. He's a cornerstone worth building a team around and it's a steal getting him in the 3rd round.

Flyinglemur is up.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Otis Reddit posted:

..err... Keith Yandle

You arguably lucked into a better player depending on where you stand on the fancy stats beliefs.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I am pretty torn between 3 players for my next pick, but I have settled on who I'm taking as long as you losers don't take him in the next three picks

I'm still waiting for someone to take the other guy I was considering. There's no way he makes it back to me.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Thinktank is skipped. Recapitor is on the clock until 8:02, then Otis Reddit

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Flyinglemur is up.
Trouba is a good pick too, provided he doesn't get a dumb contract.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That's like wanting to order the steak and getting stuck with someone's old work boot.

In any case, I either overrate my pick or you all underrate him. I'm taking rookie Colton Parayko. He put up 20 minutes a night and even if those were easy starts his fancy stats were among the best in the league last season.

Assuming this isn't a fluke I will be vindicated this time next season.

Mentholmoose is up.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Kreider had a really down year last year but I expect him to bounce back and score more points and kill more goalies again.

The last thing Lundqvist needs is another of his teammates trying to injure him

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

i am the bird posted:

I'm going to grab Matt Niskanen

Drouin-McDavid-???
???-Draisaitl-???

Muzzin-Niskanen

Hrm.

VJeff still up and now Infidel Castro as well

You are getting dangerously close to being the Oilers. I'd rectify that with some gritty grinders and long-sticked big bodies ASAP

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

T-Bone posted:

The Oilers don't have anything close to Muzzin/Niskanen. That's a fine pair.

I'm talking about all those early draft-pick small bodied forwards. There's no grit on that team.

Niskanen is legit. I don't really know anything about Muzzin but folks seem to like him.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

My read is that a quality center is more value than a winger (with few exceptions).
That and left wing in particular is just flush with prospects and skilled players available while Centers have been going like hot cakes.
I think you know what position my next pick will likely be given that information but maybe I'm trying to mislead you.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I suspect this pick will be contentious. I'm taking the new "Good" Staal, Jordan Staal.

Yeah, he's signed for a lot of money for infinite years, and yeah he's past the scoring prime for a forward, but he's also basically a less offensively gifted Patrice Bergeron or Anze Kopitar. He is the player who everybody thinks Name Withheld is.
When he is on the ice (and he will be 20+ minutes a night) the other team is going to have to fight tooth and nail to get to our net. All of this and he's good for 20 goals a season. Plus his defensive stability will give me leeway to pick riskier players down the line.

x - Monahan - Tarasenko
x - Staal - x

x - Jones
x - Parayko

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

VJeff posted:

Somebody say words about my team, I crave attention.

For what it's worth, it doesn't seem like Toffoli is a center but I like your 1st line.
Also Goligoski is good and Orlov is underrated but right-D seems to be a scarcer commodity.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Team rear end in a top hat is going to be really good for the next year or two and then all those contracts are gonna get real bad

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

the talent deficit posted:

the capitals so far:

pastrnak - hertl - ?
burakovsky - ? - ?

josi - klingberg
stralman - ?

?

I hope your next pick is a safe center because even if Hertl doesn't break next season he sure as hell isn't ready to be a number 1 center, even with that defense to bail him out. (That's a really good defense though)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

eXXon posted:

If Nuge can't score at a respectable rate playing in a free wheeling system with Hall and Eberle how exactly does he have so much room to grow?

His odds of being traded to a real hockey team have increased dramatically with the emergence of Draisatl. Once he's free the healing can begin. He'll learn to trust again, and in time, maybe how to play hockey... Just as the Schultz, and the Dubnyk before him.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

eXXon posted:

I don't particularly need another center, but then again the two I already have are just 20 years old each, so I will take Bryan Little and pencil him into the second line. Plus I think he can play RW if Reinhart can take #2C duties right away.

I'm glad you picked him because if he made it down to me I'd have struggled not to. Really good choice

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Couturier is the fellow who I compared to Staal earlier, but truthfully I don't think he's ever gonna be even as good as Jordan is. Not that it's a knock on him just that don't underrate Jordan Staal, you bastards.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

stab posted:

already at the point where I'm throwing darts at the dartboard to get some character guys.

found one on a poo poo team with a poo poo owner

played half a year on a bum ankle which hurts his production, but he's a solid 2c playing as a 1, and even though he looks like he never does anything, he's always good for 50-60 points or so

I didn't even check his salary, watch him torpedo my budget, but gently caress it. character.

And this pick probably sucks but whatever

Kyle Turris

This is a great pick and his salary is fantastic. He's a great kludge #1 center to be getting at this stage.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I'll be ready when Otis's time runs up, which should be in 20 minutes or so.

I'm petrified you're going to pick my guy. Don't do it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Boomer The Cannon posted:

No, but at least I won't get boned for a 35+ retirement penalty.

You're best hope is LTIR.
Same as with Dustin Brown and Callahan... who else?
Lecavalier?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Homer pick time, but also happens to fill a vicious need.

Olli Maatta come on down.
Poor Olli has had a rough couple of seasons with horrible shoulder injuries and cancer keeping his training time down. In spite of that he performed ably as a 21 year-old anchor on the Pens blueline. He had a rough couple of games in the playoffs, true. So bad that it got to the point that he was sat to rest and collect himself.

This doesn't concern me. He's signed long-term on a reasonable, Brodin-esque contract and I believe he will continue to improve as he gets time to heal and train properly.

Plus Jones, Parayko and Maatta is a fuckin' great D-corps.

Mentholmoose is up.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Phone posting so effort to come maybe. I'll take Calvin De Haan

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'll take this to mean he's a good pick

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

His fancies kinda stink but he's got talent so he's weird. He's sorta like a young Jack Johnson I suppose.

Talk about damning with faint praise. Someone is going to sign that kid to a too-long, too-rich contract in a few years and it's going to end horribly for them.

(I never miss a chance to poo poo on Cam Fowler and only hope that he continues to use his mysticism to make the Ducks fans think he is a benefit to their team)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

lazerwolf posted:

He's a bit older but super consistent and the real star of Montreal's D, Andrei Markov

This is a good pick and I would've stolen him if he fell.

Also 18 is a bit young for dudes that aren't named McDavid or Matthews. You guys are getting a bit HFboardsy with the prospects. Gonna be a lot of folks saying "Well my team may be better than yours in four or five seasons so long as my players don't get broken and develop as intended"

Pedigree drafting will get you the Zach Fucales of the world.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

To his credit left-d is pretty barren of positive possession players at this point. The few that are left are ancient or uncertain commodities.
My argument is solely in the context of the the draft, not so much for Werenski as a prospect. It's a bit of a short-coming in our design but picking prospects who still need multiple years to develop doesn't offer much to argue over in terms of they way we construct teams.

That said if he plays next year and is awesome I'll gladly eat my words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Dude it's pretty f'n slim in terms of dudes who aren't old/declining and who aren't negative possession players. I still need to fill out my top four and out of the remaining guys left for that role, I'll bank on Werenski over most of them over the next three seasons at a fraction of the cost.

Can we compromise on "I like the Werenski pick more than Cam Fowler"?

• Locked thread