Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

eXXon posted:

No I'm saying that it's weird to say a player is a good shutdown D when his defensive metrics are close to worst in the league. Just like some random Rangers fans said he has good fancystats after they traded for him when in fact they're absolute garbage. I've also been noticing a trend of one-line posts on hockey forums saying some random player seems to have good fancystats with no further explanation, even when they're average at best.

It clearly says he's a top four shutdown D what more do you want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

i am the bird posted:

Looking at some of his stats, he's better than I had assumed. That insane run obviously set up absurd expectations that he'll never live up to, but he's still solid on a team with a defense of Karlsson and five other dudes whose names I'll never know.

His 5v5 sv% this year was just as good as last year in as many minutes. It's really surprising, because when you watch him he's a mess.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bottom 6 guys are never the 3rd most important players on a team. Cizikas is also horribly overpaid for what he brings.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Soooooooo slow

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Aye Doc posted:

FBS, Ginette Reno, Metapod, Technetium are all skipped, lazerwolf is up

i say we switch to the 1 hour rule now and kill these last rounds off

Agreed

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Schneider was stuck behind one of the best goalies of the past twenty years and proved capable of playing 65+ games the moment that was no longer the case.

Brian Elliott couldn't beat out Halak or Allen for the full time #1 job over the course of 4 seasons.

They aren't remotely comparable. If Elliott plays 55+ games this year without making GBS threads the bed I'll be happy to eat crow, but I have serious doubts about that happening. He's a fine goalie who has been bad outside of St Louis and even there couldn't take the #1 job.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I assume Veskit is skipped so I'm taking noted midget Seth Griffith.

His AHL numbers are really good and have been since he came out of junior (where his numbers were real good). He either makes the Bruins (or another team) this year and becomes a decent middle 6 guy or he doesn't and never becomes an NHLer at all. He's waiver elgibile with a real low one year deal so I'd be surprised if he doesn't stick to an NHL roster.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So anyway I screwed up by not noticing when Veskit was skipped yesterday (and so was i, and so were the two after me) so I'm just going to pick again to get this moving again.

I take Jimmy Hayes to reuinite him with his more talented brother. Also he's 6'5.

He's not a top 6 guy but he's a fine bottom 6 winger whose cap but isn't as bad as I thought it was.

It's back to Brodeur's Nanny with Veskit / talent deficit / tbone all having picks to make.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Technetium posted:

Does that mean I'm actually up now?

ya

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lets start that thursday at 10am. That gives time to finish this round off.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Aye Doc posted:

so tomorrow starting at 10am, what are we doing? one round of picks per day and whoever can pick whenever?

Yes. Is anyone not cool with that?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The problem with 1 pick per hour is half of you are being skipped on every pick with 2 hours.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Technetium posted:

That's why I'm thinking we should just do timeframes to save headaches figuring out who is getting skipped and when and random times to pick based on when the last guy picked.

Just making it a pick at 10am is easy and quick and at this point sniping guys is kind of irrelevant. Anyone decent is already long gone. Mark Fayne has been picked.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JoelJoel posted:

gently caress it, let's just start over.

Also, expansion draft? I know it's a tear out but could be fun. Maybe appoint a few to pick for Vegas or do some kind of vote system or rotating pick system. (e.g. 3 gms are selected at random from those that don't miss picks and they make rotating selections of 3 picks and we all vote on the one to pick... or something else as needlessly complicated)

100% yes

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Your second defense pairing is worse than your third.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So we doing this pick at 10 thing? Someone confirm and we'll start the ball rolling.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I am taking Mr Brian Gionta

He's past his prime but he can still play and he's a midget. Also he only has one year left on his deal.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

lazerwolf posted:

So are we just free for all picking?

1 per 24 hours yep

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
We take 6'4 Mike Smith.

He had a fantastic 5v5 save percentage last year in limited minutes (5th in goalies with 1000+ minutes) and I'm hoping for the same type of play, if not quite at that level obviously. He'll play mentor / 1B for Hellebucyk through this season until Connor is ready to take 60 starts, and we'll move him if he doesn't want to transition to a backup after that.

He makes a lot but we have lots of cap room. He also doesn't have a NMC this season so we don't need to protect him.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

This would bother me more if I didn't have Connor and a dumb gimmick.

I think Smith highlights how bad that Rinne pick was though. Smith is basically Rinne without the hype or the NMC (he isn't that good).

Anyway here is my team, almost.

Laine - Hayes - Gallagher
Ennis - Bjugstad - Gionta
Lowry - Matthias - Hayes #2
Griffith - Marchessault - ?

Chara - Hamilton
Ristolainen - Bowmeester
Sustr - Staal

Hellebuyck
Smith

Coached by Mr Barry Trotz.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Smith has been piss through most of his career but he was legit good last year. Even before the scoring run he was a noticeable positive player on a lot of nights. He looked like he lost weight or something last offseason and gained a step.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I pick 6'4 Dwight King

Final roster (minus spares) of the Carolina Monsters and Midgets. Nobody between 5'10 and 6'3, coach included.

Ennis - Bjugstad - Gionta
Lowry - Matthias - Hayes #2
Griffith - Marchessault - King

Chara - Hamilton
Ristolainen - Bowmeester
Sustr - Staal

Hellebuyck
Smith

Coached by Mr Barry Trotz

I'm pretty happy with the defense, coaching, and goaltending. That forward group is atrocious though. Missing Getzlaf / Thornton hurt.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'll take Dylan Mcilrath because I'm shocked he's still available.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to take Gabriel Gagne because he is 6'5.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

So I thought we had two rounds left not one, and still need to select a backup and a coach. Can I retroactively void my pick yesterday and just select a goalie and then a coach today?

You might as well yeah

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
For my last pick I'm taking Logan Brown because he is huge and skilled.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My team is thus:

Ennis - Bjugstad - Hayes #2
Lowry - Matthias - Gionta

Chara - Hamilton
Ristolainen - Bowmeester
Sustr - Staal

Hellebuyck
Smith

Extras:
Gabriel Gagne, Alex Tuch, Dylan McIlrath

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 16, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

mentholmoose posted:

You're a half hour late. eXXon took him this round.

booooooooooooooo, update the spreadsheet

ok, in that case I take Alex Tuch because he is big and seems to have some skill.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Mark Streit isn't going to be worth protecting at the end of this coming season in either our sim or real life.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I also thought it was a fantasy expansion draft for "this" year. It wouldn't be possible to do it a year off considering free agency and all that.

That's what teams are doing right now. UFAs are going to be unprotected because they can just sign with the team.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Team Monster-Midget is about what I expected so far. Laine is legit, my D is fairly strong, and my center depth is rough. Marchesseault is able to play up the lineup at least.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jordan7hm posted:

My team is thus:

Ennis - Bjugstad - Hayes #2
Lowry - Matthias - Gionta

Chara - Hamilton
Ristolainen - Bowmeester
Sustr - Staal

Hellebuyck
Smith

Extras:
Gabriel Gagne, Alex Tuch, Dylan McIlrath
Hits:
the defense is pretty good (risto is the real deal)
Hellebucyk is very good
Laine was definitely worth a first round pick
Marchessault and Hayes #1 are actual competent top 6 forwards

Misses:
the rest of the forwards
maybe the coaching too actually. Surprised by Trotz choices this season

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Your D is questionable but that's a pretty legit team 3 lines.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
pfffffft

Plugging in my second pairing as being

Ristolainen - Bowmeester

as opposed to

Gardiner - Carrick

costs me like 6 games.

Cool tool though

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Nhl17 knows where it's at re: my defense. Also the rest of my team being poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Tarasenko with 81 points at the all star break? drat

• Locked thread