Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Detroit Red Wings let's go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If you're on the fence about whether to join or not, then shut up and join. It gets boring picking dudes at the end but the first 75% or so is always amazing fun and can actually get really tense and the simming in EHM after the teams are done is fun too.

It's good. IT'S GOOD AS HELL, DAMMIT!

Don't even worry about hockey knowledge, last year I literally just tried to draft Swedish dudes for as long as I could. My team's forwards sucked at the end, but I still had fun.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH YES!

TOOK FOUR loving YEARS BUT JEFFY'S IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT NOW, FUCKERS!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Furnaceface posted:

You know you are obligated to pick Abdelkader first overall right? Its what Ken Holland would do.

My essay on Howard is already written.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I am open to offers. Please start your offer with a compliment about how great a Red Wings player of your choice is.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
This is around the point where I realize all the wrong picks I can make with number one an begin to feat SAS' inevitable scorn and ridicule. :ohdear:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay, so, I got DailyFaceoff, DobberHockey, OwnThePuck, GeneralFanager.

I used ExtraSkater last time and that's gone, and apparently war-on-ice is gone too, so what's the good advanced stats site? HockeyAnalysis? Puckalytics?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Whoops.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 6, 2016

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Alright. My pick is picked and written up. Tomorrow at 10ish, IT BEGINS. :911:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
With the 1st overall pick, the Detroit Red Wings select, from the Washington Capitals...

ALEX OVECHKIN
Position: Left Wing
Cap Hit: $9,538,461 until 2021

First off, elephant in the room - he's going into his age 31 season. He's not a young man anymore. But he doesn't seem to care about that, because he keeps banking 50 goal seasons every year. He has by far the best ratio of G/60 and PPG/60 relative to his ice time since he came into the league. He has three Harts, six Rocket Richards, an Art Ross, four Gold Medals -- I can list accolades and stats all day, but you know who he is and how he works. He sits at the left circle and he shoots it past the goalie and they can't do poo poo about it and he does it a LOT.

Let's not overthink this. Alex Ovechkin is the greatest goal scorer of our generation, possibly the greatest goal scorer of all time. He has a lot left in the tank. He's durable as hell (he's missed maybe 10 games in the last half-decade). He's a great leader. And most importantly, yeah I could take some young center and there's one I ALMOST picked over Ovechkin, but here's the thing. I don't want that guy, I want Ovechkin. And there's absolutely no way Ovechkin makes it back to me 59 picks later and he's the guy I actually want. I want to contend immediately, I wanna make the playoffs and I wanna score a shitton of goals while I do it and to do that, you need an elite goal scorer and flat out, there isn't anyone on this planet better at scoring goals than Alex Ovechkin.

Let's go light the goddamn lamp.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

ThinkTank posted:

First overall pick is a curse in these things. Ovie's a better choice than Hall, but I know who I'm taking at that spot.

As long as he's better than Tyler Johnson, I'm good.

Main thing is I wanted Ovi and this is the only time I was gonna get him. There was another guy I came very close to, though.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Stamkos has a very good contract. That is my opinion on Steven stamkos.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Spreadsheet notes section game already strong this year.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

If it's this slow in the first round then I would debate whether or not this is even worth doing

It's only 3:30 on the first day, chill the hell out. :lol:

T-Bone posted:

this is why having back to backs owns

Hell yeah. :hf:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

tofes posted:

I mean I like Ovie but #1 overall comeon

Y'think he was gonna last until #60 if I let him go now?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Metapod posted:

What pick is it?

15. Otis Reddit, followed by The RECAPITATOR.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm probably the biggest goalie homer on this board and even I wouldn't pick a goalie in the first round.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Holtby and Price are the most defensible ones right now and yeah, you never know when it's gonna be a land rush on goalies and you're still twenty picks away, but it's still reeeeaaally early.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Man, Tootoo would be REALLY early right now.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oof. That's two I was hoping would drop based in the Nobody Gives A poo poo About Southern Hockey rule. :(

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hey remember in the first one of these when my first three picks were kovalchuk, e.staal and dustin brown?

Good times.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Otis Reddit posted:

Ryan Johansen

GUH. I've been foiled.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh, christ, all the centers are gone. :catstare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Kv4rBJi68

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dandy Kaiser posted:

In a effort to

a) be as young and cheap as possible while still being relatively "win now"
b) fulfill my homer lust by getting one of the two good players on my favorite team
c) piss off VJeff

The San Jose Sharks Sharks Sharks are pleased to make a bit of a reach, and await one of the few players we are hopeful will fall past the turn, to select Dylan Larkin

suck it

:(

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dandy Kaiser posted:

You were going to take him, weren't you? I figured with you having two picks in a row between mine and then having to wait another 52, if I didn't take him there, I wasn't getting him

I wasn't planning on it, but if he'd been available at my turn and I'd thought of him, I honestly might have. But if the guy I want gets past i am the bird, I'll be happy anyway.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay.

C - Tyler Toffoli because he's a possession monster and RW - Blake Wheeler because he's a very good 1st line winger that puts up lots of assists.

Wait, what do you mean there's a skater besides the forwards? :confused:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Wheeler/Toffoli is awesome

I almost did something completely different and assuredly much worse, I'm really glad I kept looking at stats and found toffoli and wheeler.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jordan7hm posted:

Getzlaf had his worst sh% in years and is probably going to have a big bounce back year and get back up to 70 pts.

A really good pick.

T-Bone posted:

Getzlaf is still pretty great, I think he should have gone earlier.

I actually seriously considered Getzlaf.

But, here's my counterpoint: Randy Carlyle.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

the talent deficit posted:

Anton Strålman, i can get forwards later

aaaauuuuuh, hurts. That one hurts. Thought he'd fly under the radar for another round. :(

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
After Rask's weird year I think you could've risked waiting 'til your next picks to grab him, but he is still Rask, so. If he's the guy you want, it's better to not risk waiting for him to come around.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

eXXon posted:

e: Meant to say that Dumba is a bad pick.

so would Badba be a dumb pick

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Wow. I actually lost out on Niskanen cause I wasn't paying attention last night. That blows. :/

D - Alex Goligoski and D - Dimitry Orlov.

Ovechkin - Toffoli - Wheeler

Goligoski - Orlov

MJeff fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 13, 2016

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Somebody say words about my team, I crave attention.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oshdawg! :hellyeah:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yzerman's ghost is a better 2C than most picks I could make.

I'm gonna take a chance on a bounceback year and take G - Pekka Rinne.

Other pick coming in a moment, gotta check some stuff.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jordan7hm posted:

This is a bad pick.

This makes me pretty certain it was a great pick.

Other pick is C - Brandon Dubinsky

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oooooof. I thought AA might make it back to me.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm here, one moment.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm drafting two defenseman, David Savard and Marco Scandella.

Ovechkin - Toffoli - Wheeler
xxxxxxx - Dubinsky - xxxxxx

Goligoski - Orlov
Savard - Scandella

Rinne

i am the bird, then Infidel Castro and Dandy Kaiser.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I consider myself a Jeff Gorton, because I am also Jeff.

Also, the part where I'm not good.

• Locked thread