Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Stars.

E: oh, and dibs on Benn.

E2: and I won't be vacationed into picking Phil 3rd or whatever overall this year (because he's obviously going first)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Starsfan posted:

I'll play, as the Buffalo Sabres once again.

Though if someone else wants the Sabres I'll pick another open team to help this thing fill up.

No one wants the sabres.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

No consequences? Clearly you're just sour because a team you picked has never won the SAS EHM fantasy simulation.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

How about next weekend?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Well, despite my efforts, I got vacationed again. If we start before next weekend can someone take a list from me for my first couple picks?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

If my picks are bad it's because I'm pretty sure I have zika.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Happy with my auto pick (thanks meno). I'll write up about how sexy Benn is later. Should have reliable tubes by the time it come back around to me.

Just wanted to chime in to make fun of all the defensemen going so high.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

the talent deficit posted:

oh i gotta pick again, john klingberg

josi and klingberg, combined, almost equal a karlsson

jordan7hm is up

Hey, gently caress you. You smart POS.

I love me some gotishere but maaaaaaan that would be the worst pick so far if pandarum hadn't gone right after.

E:

the talent deficit posted:

faulk is prob better than klingberg but i took faulk two years ago (in like the fifth round)

Lol, look how wrong this guys is.

E2: wait, what?

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 9, 2016

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Gimme Mark Stone.

Underrated winger. He's quick, he scores, he makes everyone around him better. He's signed to a nice 3.5 bridge deal and has an RFA contact let at the end. His shooting percentage was a bit high last year (hovering around 15) but his regulars and fancies back up that he's no fluke player.

Have a chart:

He also leads the league in young guys that came into the league looking like a frumpy middle aged man.

Smarts:

Release:

Resiliency:

Gooniness:

Acting:

He's the full package.

okay, maybe not thaaaat smart

E: Yaya is up next

Dandy Kaiser
Infidel Castro
i am the bird

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 9, 2016

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I thought we paused on the weekend.

Phone posting so uuuuh, gimme Toews. Best proven C still on the board and he's on the right side of 30.

This choice makes me a win now team.

gently caress defensemen.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I'm dumb. Gimme David Krejci.

tofes is up

Furnaceface
Aye Doc
mentholmoose

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Dallas Stars select Ryan Ellis.

Stuck behind Weber his whole career he's never really had a chance to shine at a top pairing guy. That's all going to change with Weber out of the picture.

the habs did what? Hahaha. No seriously? HAHAHHHAAHAhHhahahah.

Anyway, he's got great fancies and puts up great numbers. Doesn't get a ton of PP time, which won't change next season (hahhahhha), but he's a first unit guy on most teams. Suuper friendly 2.5 AAV deal for another 3 season of his prime.

IMO an absolute steal at this point in the draft. He also scores huge in the number one playoff statistic:

beeeeeard

On deck:

Yaya
Dandy Kaiser
Infidel Castro

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Since yaya picked after the stoppage I have till noon before I get skipped. Right?

VVV- not a sanctioned rule. Eat me.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 13, 2016

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

E: fine, whatever, gimme Ekholm.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 13, 2016

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jordan7hm posted:

noooooooooo

e: more seriously I think it's fine to take your time, I just want to see more actual explanations and writeups. we've run through this a bunch of times now, we all generally know who these guys are, I think it's more interesting when people explain why they made their pick.

Well, yeah, and writing them up is what I enjoy most about doing this.

Anyway, on the fly but: Mattias is--much like his defensive partner--young, fancy and regular good, and signed to an absurdly good contract (off the top of my head something like 3.5 for 6 years). I think he's super underrated because of the ridiculous Nashville D. Unlike Ellis, I don't think he's a first unit pp guy but he put up great 5v5 points last season. Given the chance he's easily a top line guy and has still has room to grow his game. He and Ellis are great point producers and, iirc, have excellent shot suppression numbers. He's big, not slow, moves the puck, and very is well rounded. Bit of a late bloomer (like allalmost all good d-men) and his points spiked a bit last year but the Dallas Stars are confident that Mattias will build on his big play last year and easily jump into the #2 role effectively.

Menamino is up followed by that salty Sharks fan.

E:

Benn - Krejci - Stone
Ekholm - Ellis

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 13, 2016

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Furnaceface posted:

They have managed to get rid of worse contracts. They will find someone to pawn him off on at some point.

And I hope its Vancouver. :unsmigghh:

It's Florida. You know it's Florida.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

So you really are going with the hypothetical of literally no one in front of Murray.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Menamino posted:

i'll take Derick Brassard to be my 2C. Put up a 27g 31a 58p line last year with 60 points the year before so he's settling in to be a very solid second line player who would presumably produce even better playing next to nikita kucherov.

JoelJoel is up

Fuuuck. One pick away.

Whatever.

Dallas Stars Select Mike Mika Zibanij Zebinija Zebramad Zibanejad

He's young and used in a somewhat sheltered role in Ottawa (~60% OZone) and is still a relatively one-way player, but Mika's got two 20 goal seasons under his belt and has plenty of room to grow his game. Despite not being a defensive star he's a well rounded player, clocking in with good production, play making (~60% primary A), and can score all kinds of pretty goals. He sees limited PP time but could slot it with the top unit on the point from time to time. He's here to replace Krejci in a few years when he starts to decline and they shuffle around in the top 6.

Benn - Krejci - Stone
x - Zibanejad - X

Ellis - Ekholm

e: oh, right:

Yaya
Dandy Kaiser Teeum Pokemon
Infidel Castro

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 15, 2016

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

FBS posted:

what's a goalie

The fattest guy on the team.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Dallas Stars select Kyle Palmieri.

gently caress your goalies and defenders. This league is all about GOALS.

The darling of New Jersey, Palmieri don't give a poo poo about your back-checking, he just wants to score GOALS. What wins games? GOALS!

30 GOALS? No problem.

KYLE PALMIERI

Benn - Krejci - Stone
x - Zibanejad - Palmieri

Ellis - Ekholm

Menamino
tofes
Furnaceface

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Infidel Castro posted:

I would have taken him with my 6th pick if he could play on the left.

He put up 30 in NJ. I'm sure on a regular team he could manage that playing D.

e: gently caress goalies.

e2: VV - lol, see!

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 16, 2016

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Man, you guys really going nuts on the goalies. Stars ain't falling for that trap.

Dallas selects Marcus Johansson.

He's a nice young scoring winger. He could still grow his game a bit but he likely tops out at a 50 (20/30) point player. He rounds out my second line and gives me a very dangerous one-two top-six.

Benn (27) - Krecji (30) - Stone (24)
Johansson (25) - Zbanejad(23) - Palmeri (25)

Ellis (25) - Ekholm (26)

Krejci is gettin up there but the rest of them are either in the middle of or just entering their prime. They should all be at their best for a good 5-7 years, giving me a nice cup window. The D can be filled out with grizzly vets and a couple prospects and I'm not telling you my plans for the bottom six. Dallas don't need no goalie so we'll grab one after a coach.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 19, 2016

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Infidel Castro
i am the bird
VJeff 2x

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Gimme the Fan Hoof.

I like Dion on the second pairing. That contract is balls but he's got a few good years left, IMO. If his shooting rebounds a bit I he could notch 10 and he's always good for 25-30 helpers when healthy. My team is on the cheep already and he's a good candidate for exposure. I think he gets a bum rap for his time in Toronto. He's not a top pairing guy anymore but he chips in points and can step into big minutes if needed due to injury.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Gimme noted piece of poo poo Semyon Varlamov

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

GImme Joe Colborne. His shooting was ridiculous last year so I don't expect him to pot 19 again but I think on the third line role he pots in a good 10-15/25-30. He can play bigger minutes if he needs to but should thrive in a reduced role on the third line. 2.5 mill for the next couple season. He makes points happen and isn't a terrible possession player.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Pretty lucky he turned out considering he was accidentally selected when Ronnie sneezed into the mic at the draft.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Okay, taking a risk on this one as he's somehow unsigned, but I'll take Jiri Hudler. He could gently caress off to the KHL or get signed for way too much but I like his style, boxcars, and fancyfeast.

He took a bit of a step back last year but I'll attribute that more to playing on the real Flames than to age. I feel like he's got a few good years left in him and he's a great tool core still needs a few years, he can slot up in the lineup and let the younger guys take the easy minutes. He's only a few years removed from a 75+ point season and, depending on deployment, he should be good for 15 30 for another 2 or 3 years. Either way I'm surprised he made it back to me and he'll make a great Star.

Okay, I know I need another D man pretty bad and I have my eye on enough serviceable 3-4 guys that I should get what I want. Team is built to be good now but really peak in the 2-5 year window I've set up with that majority of my core being in or just entering their prime. For now, however, please make fun of my team.

Benn (27) - Krecji (30) - Stone (24)
Johansson (25) - Zbanejad(23) - Palmeri (25)
X - Colburne (26) - Hudler (31)

Ellis (25) - Ekholm (26)
X - Phaneuf (31)

Varlamov (28)

e: Leaves me with ~23m left* for 8 guys, most of which should be on relatively cap friendly deals.

*plus Hudler's whatever contract; +/- a few mil for salary cap change

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 27, 2016

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Nah, man, it's all about the blue ballsdots.

Anyway, I like that pick. I'm sure someone will overpay for him after next year but if he's a lefty I'm pretty inclined to pick Cody over my next guy.

I like your D a lot. It's either one of the or the best I've looked at so far. That top 6 has a lot of question marks tho. Your team wont be bad if: if JVR stays healthy and good, if Radulov isn't benched (LOL), if Iggy doesn't take a steep drop off, if Vesey can make a huge splash immediately in the NHL, if Thornton doesn't turn to dust (he won't), and if Bonino manages 20 again somehow.

I mean, it could happen.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Sorry, man. If my list hadn't gotten gently caress in the last 10 picks he'd have been all yours.

On deck:

Dandy KaiserTeemu Pokemon
Infidel Castro
i am the bird
VJeff 2x

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Joel Edmundson, cause the other one is too old.

Young shutdown guy to clean up Phaneuf's garbage. Tiny sample size but he looked great in every game I watched him play*. Good possession player, albeit on a good possession team. Potential, and so on. If he pans out he's a solid second pairing shutdown guy. Worst case scenario he plays on the bottom pairing and sees some time on the PK. I guess he has a contract.

*Never noticed him in a game they lost. So I looked it up:

In the top 30 the Blues only lost 6 in regulation, none in OT,and 2 in the SO.

Menamino
tofes (Interim GM)
Furnaceface
Aye Doc

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

You know what to do, tofes

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Flyinglemur posted:

Nothing is funnier than Fleury when he isn't "on"

At least he has a working on/off switch.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Ginette Reno posted:

I'll take Michael Matheson. He played a bit for the Panthers in the playoffs and also played in the WHC for Canada and was named the top defenseman there. He's 22 and seems ready for prime time.

Zacha-Malkin-Hossa
Landeskog-Kuznetsov-Henrique
Couturier

Greene-Boychuk
Gudas-Daley
Matheson

Murray

He's going to be goood. Struggled with not using my previous pick on him.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Oh, gently caress you guys.

Also, drafting a fake player is funny and all but who names a kid "Punch"? How is that allowed?

Fake edit: okay, so it's really George or something. Still, that's a dumb name.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I'm wasted and no where near a computer. Skip me and I'll figure it out whenever.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Is anders Lee taken? If not I'll take him. I seem to remember him putting up like 20 plus a couple years ago. He's I think a centre. I can call him ders. Isles fan, good pick?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Menamino posted:

as the islander fan who picked him, I do think he was a good pick and I appreciate your interest in him

And a smart pick it was.

I'll take filpula. He can kill it in my bottom six, show the kids a thing or two, and slot up if peeps get hurt or suck. I'm also pretty sure he has 2 Ps in his name but whatever.
Can someone do the spreadsheet thing for me?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Furnaceface posted:

Filppula is good and I was considering him but instead I wanted to ensure that I can make the Most Hated Line In Hockey. So far its got

X - Ryan White - Andrew Shaw

And I have a very good idea who that left winger is going to be. :unsmigghh:

Shoulda been kreider. I'd say fcp but he's too good for that line.

So flip for sure isn't taken? Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Gimme David backes. He'll tear up the third liners he'll play against and be good for like at least half of that contract.

• Locked thread