Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

oh didn't know it was back around already, I don't have a list currently so I'll look around for someone who appears decent and pick soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I'm too sleepy to comb through the 3rd lines of every team in the nhl so I'm just gonna go with a guy i know in casey cizikas

he makes a bit too much money and his fancies aren't great but I watch him all the time and I think he's better than that and that's good enough for me at 3am on a saturday

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I kinda feel the same way about him, it's hard to really quantify it though. He might see an increased role this year but if Barzal makes the team and gets a top 6 role as expected then Cizikas will probably be in the same exact role he has been in in the past on the 4th line.

Maybe Capuano will get fired one day and he'll get to do other stuff, maybe

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

ill take erik condra

I need to take some cheap contracts without looking through everyone's prospects and his fancies are top 6 quality so he can play on my 4th line i guess

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

i'll take ken hitchcock to coach my team and give heartwarming bench interviews with pierre

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

i'll take jf berube to be my backup in net since he's apparently going to be the Isles backup this year and they love him and he's also cheap and I need that at the moment

Pretty happy with how my team turned out. I wanted to go heavy offense and make at least 3 lines that could carry possession and I feel like that happened, happy with my centers and really happy with my wingers. Would've liked to have gotten one more big name defender somewhere in there but even though my back end isn't filled with the sexiest names at least they do well on the fancy side of things. They won't put up a ton of points but if they're sound in their own end and can get the puck out I feel like my forwards would be able to take it from there. Guys like Tanev, Petry, and surprisingly even Benn are really good at suppressing shots against at least.

Brad Marchand - John Tavares - Nikolaj Ehlers
Mike Cammalleri - Derek Brassard - Nikita Kucherov
Clark MacArthur - Mike Ribiero - Anders Lee
Leo Komarov - Casey Cizikas - Erik Condra

Mark Streit - Chris Tanev
Jordie Benn - Jeff Petry
xxx - Ryan Pulock

Jaro Halak
JF Berube

Ken Hitchcock

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

uhhhh scott mayfield

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Otis Reddit posted:

I have $18MM in cap space so I'm going to take Ryan Callahan

he was a guy i was surprised didn't go earlier, yeah he's obviously overpaid but he's still a capable middle 6 forward and we have guys drafting retired dudes for cap hits. Was gonna draft him for my 4th line but couldn't afford him with Kucherov's cap hit still up in the air as a RFA

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

my starting roster is done but I need 3 prospects/scratches but I have no idea where to go with them so I'll just look at prospect lists and pick random ones who are available

i'll take ilya sorokin first because i know him at least

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

T-Bone posted:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2652458-ranking-the-top-50-nhl-prospects/page/2 is a decent list

The NHL 30 in 30 has also been good but they're not close to done yet.

cool thanks, it's reassuring that the 2 guys I was planning to take were at least listed on it

I'll take jake bean because he has a good, non-busty name and kiefer bellows because he's in my team's prospect pool and also has a cool name

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

jake bean is the hockiest name i've heard in a while. you managed to draft a lot of islanders

yeah once we got very late in the draft I only had a few guys around the league who I really wanted and they always got scooped up right before my pick so I just went with guys who I knew the best out of laziness. I should've had one more Islander but I thought people forgot Matt Barzal existed and that he would get back around to me one round but he got taken in that window.

final squad looks like

Marchand - Tavares - Ehlers
Cammalleri - Brassard - Kucherov
MacArthur - Ribiero - Lee
Komarov - Cizikas - Condra

Streit - Tanev
Benn - Petry
Mayfield - Pulock

Halak
Berube

Coach Hitchcock

AHL/KHL: Sorokin, Bean, Bellows

should have some exciting games with this squad win or lose

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

i could (slowly) do some short fancy-stats based write-ups about the teams if people were interested in reading my dumb words

that sounds interesting, but only as long as you promise to say cool words about my team

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

lazerwolf posted:

I still want to see what a full simmed season with these teams looks like.

same

I didn't draft my team with an expansion draft in mind, so I kinda get screwed if a few certain people get taken, but whatever this is fine and here's who i'd protect if I wanted this team to exist going forward

Marchand - Tavares - Ehlers (exempt)

Streit - Tanev
Benn - Petry (NMC)
Mayfield - Pulock

Halak
Berube

just like my real team, my fake team gets screwed by Ryan Pulock being ineligible from being exempt despite almost no NHL service time

If Mark Streit got sniped from my squad in the draft I'd be pretty hosed as we don't have the space or contracts here for lots of depth and I also didn't draft with expansion in mind, so if I switched it up to do the 8 skater thing to avoid it I'd probably protect Marchand, Tavares, Kucherov, Brassard, Ehlers (still exempt), Tanev/Streit/Petry/Pulock, Halak. But exposing Anders Lee, Mike Cammalleri, and Mike Ribiero for Mark Streit's probable final NHL season doesn't seem like solid asset management

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

i actually wasn't even thinking of it being after this next season, it was more of me expecting us to have a Vegas guy roll through and take someone from our teams now and have a team for this upcoming season. Even though that's not what is happening in real life. And in that case taking Streit off my top pairing with the only other defender in the system being an 18 year old Jake Bean would be bad for this year.

But Streit only really has 1 season left anyway so assuming random Vegas guy would be taking players for a team starting a year from now then yeah I would have no reason to protect Streit at all, as Jake Bean is a surefire superstar even at the age of 19 based off of being named Jake Bean

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

that'd be cool and the best way to go about it. It's just that we didn't sim last season so the only thing would be finding someone dedicated enough to run it for us

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Iodised QQ posted:

Marchand - Tavares - Ehlers

Streit - Tanev
Benn - Petry
Mayfield - Pulock

Halak
Berube

Coach Hitchcock

After quickly looking at how many points these guys have and not really going into fancy stats the early returns are about what I expected

good:

the top 6 is as good as I hoped it would be, somewhat surprised that Ehlers is tied for 10th in the league in scoring. Marchand has 17 points in 18 games and Kucherov on the second line has 22 points and is second in the league in scoring. Tavares is off to a slow start by his standards but he'll rebound and something tells me that in our make believe league he'd be producing more flanked by Marchand and Ehlers than he is in real life with Cal Clutterbuck and Josh Bailey. Ribiero is producing too.

Mark Streit has 11 points and can still perform his role decently well, Tanev and Petry both look to still be reliable players. Jordie Benn hasn't been benched I think which is good?

Casey Cizikas has been great and Leo Komarov seems to be performing his role well still so they still look like they'd be able to live up to the fourth line I hoped they would be.

bad:

putting Clarke Macarthur on my third line with his concussion history was risky. I don't think anyone expected him to be ended by his own teammate in training camp though. That sucks.

Anders Lee has been a ghost, there's always hope that being removed from the worst coach in the league and given to someone who could utilize him properly would fix him but my real life team has no plans of doing that.

likewise my bottom d pairing hasn't done anything in the NHL this year, Ryan Pulock got hurt instantly upon getting into a game. The Isles signing Dennis Seidenberg and him actually playing well has kept Mayfield out of the lineup with the exception of one game

I think Hitchcock has been kinda bad with young guys but his team keeps winning so he is still an ok pick?

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Man, the Lightning and Islanders are going to be fun to watch :stonklol:

That's what I'm sayin, I built the Isles to fill some Barclay seats and get good ratings. Defense is for the birds.

I'd be really curious to see how these sims work out, looking forward to them.

e: I put them into the lineup creator thing

Clarke MacArthur got murdered by a teammate so I put in the forgettable Alan Quine, Erik Condra got hurt so I left that default Toronto dude on my 4th line since I've never heard of him. Much like the guy above who got screwed by the real Isles not playing Barzal, my 3rd d pair of Scott Mayfield (little short on minutes) and Ryan Pulock (kept in AHL despite owning) don't exist. So I left the default Maple Leaf third pair.

I wondered how the projection would be effected by swapping Ehlers and Kucherov, but it actually doesn't change much. Ehlers surprised me a lot this year. And the Marchand-Tavares-Kucherov trio have pretty much lived up to any expectations I could've had for them. Fun team actually seems to be surprisingly successful!

Iodised QQ fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 31, 2017

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Technetium posted:

How the gently caress did you get Tavares Marchand and Kucherov holy poo poo.

I think Marchand was my third rounder and I felt pretty lucky that he fell that far. Thought he would've gone higher just based on his fancy stuff even if people thought his big season last year was fluky.

Also didn't draft any defenders for a while which helped! I wanted to have a lot of good forwards who had good possession stats and figured if I got enough of them that I wouldn't be hurt too much by taking defense later on. So Tanev, Streit, and Petry in my top 4 won't blow anyone away but they're all good to very good at certain aspects of hockey and if they're on the ice with 3 quality forwards they'd do alright. At least as far as we can test it with random simulations like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

No keep going but also make my team win slightly more games and also convince digital Marchand to start scoring thanks

• Locked thread