Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

I too got in (finally)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Been looking at this since E3. Signed up then and got an invite for this test, where do I go to fire goons out of cannons?

E: actually read the thing and joined the discord. Any UK/Euro goons in this thing?

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 1, 2017

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I got in, this is gonna be the first time I've ever installed anything from the microsoft store onto a pc.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I got in, this is gonna be the first time I've ever installed anything from the microsoft store onto a pc.

You and everyone else.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Have they announced their medium-term plans for the game? Because I played for an hour and felt like I played the whole game.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Baron Porkface posted:

Have they announced their medium-term plans for the game? Because I played for an hour and felt like I played the whole game.

There's definitely a ton of potential here, but yeah, as it is, not much going on. Fun little game though.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I really hope this isn't "the game" as if it were Fat Princess or something.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

"I wonder if being drunk makes reading the map shittier" *checks*

Oh my god i love this loving game.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Is there a way to know if I'm in the alpha without getting an e-mail, because I think I accidentally unsubscribed from their Insider Updates in mid-July

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Failed to install. I wonder if the Microsoft store still hates when you install it between two days.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Mine installed okay, and I played a little solo since no-one else seems to be about.

Game could use more feedback and direction. I did my first riddle that it gives you at the start, found a chest, sold it for a pitiful amount of gold that wouldnt buy anything, and then... nothing. No way to find another map/riddle that I could see.

Started a new game and got a new riddle, but that one seemed unfathomable on the 3rd clue, I'm pretty sure I was playing music where it wanted me to but nothing happened. And then some nice fellows came along and sunk my boat while I was on the island so I was marooned.

I love the look and feel of the game, sailing is fun, although dicey on your own when parking up at an island.

Game overall would probably be much better with some crewmates to play with, and a lot more in the world to do that just sailing about. The puzzles and things are excellent but they'll need a lot of variety to avoid going stale quickly.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

AirRaid posted:

Mine installed okay, and I played a little solo since no-one else seems to be about.

Game could use more feedback and direction. I did my first riddle that it gives you at the start, found a chest, sold it for a pitiful amount of gold that wouldnt buy anything, and then... nothing. No way to find another map/riddle that I could see.

Started a new game and got a new riddle, but that one seemed unfathomable on the 3rd clue, I'm pretty sure I was playing music where it wanted me to but nothing happened. And then some nice fellows came along and sunk my boat while I was on the island so I was marooned.

I love the look and feel of the game, sailing is fun, although dicey on your own when parking up at an island.

Game overall would probably be much better with some crewmates to play with, and a lot more in the world to do that just sailing about. The puzzles and things are excellent but they'll need a lot of variety to avoid going stale quickly.

Oh the matchmaking doesn't start until you finalize joining, so far it's been starting pretty fast.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

I had trouble installing the game just reset your computer and it should work. Also will be on tonight if any gewns want to play.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Does anyone remember the name of the home island, where you turn in chests and stuff? I forgot to mark it down before I went sailing. :downs:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

Does anyone remember the name of the home island, where you turn in chests and stuff? I forgot to mark it down before I went sailing. :downs:

There's several, and they're all called something Outpost. Look for your nearest Outpost island and head to there, they all have a chest buying lady and a shop.

So I just rocked up an outpost and was fixing my ship because yes I grounded it like a landlubber and another guy rocks up, pretty much beaches his boat next to me.

All I hear is *CRASH* .... "That'll leave a mark" over voice comms.

Then he comes over and offers me three chests because he bought all the available stuff already. Gave me like 5500 gold :pirate:

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 3, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Awesome, thanks for the quick response. Made it back and sold my treasure chests!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

So far I've found cursed chests that spew water (hold them on the gangplank and away from the boat) and ones that get you instantly drunk, are there any others?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

So far I've found cursed chests that spew water (hold them on the gangplank and away from the boat) and ones that get you instantly drunk, are there any others?

I've seen the chest of a thousand grogs, Fell off the dock trying to deliver it. :shobon:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Had my first pvp battle, somehow we wound up trading ships.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Stole someone else's chest, got shot in the back, respawned and shot them in the back while they were being chased by sharks. 10/10 would projectile vomit into the helmsman face while playing the concertina again.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
Fun things to do so far:

Get drunk
Get drunk and play music badly
Puke on your shipmates, blinding them
Get drunk and puke into your bucket
Splash your bucket of puke into the enemy's face, blinding them
Scream like a pirate as you cannon yourself onto the enemy's deck

I've only been allowed into a single technical alpha weekend but at this point, I am already prepared to purchase the base game. This is loads of fun.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Next play session started today. Runs til Monday. Need some goons to keep the hordes of pubs at bay though.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
They cannot get this concept to work for Sci-Fi games, and it seems infinitely more suited to that than the tall ship genre... so how is this supposed to work?

There weren’t a whole lot of interesting jobs on sailing vessels...

Like who wants to play the guy who loads a cannon, whose main job is raising and lowering a sail, or standing lookout?

I mean, I guess there are marines, but then the game would be like a sailing sim for one person per ship and probably a pretty terrible FPS for the other 12.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

ZombieLenin posted:

They cannot get this concept to work for Sci-Fi games, and it seems infinitely more suited to that than the tall ship genre... so how is this supposed to work?

There weren’t a whole lot of interesting jobs on sailing vessels...

Like who wants to play the guy who loads a cannon, whose main job is raising and lowering a sail, or standing lookout?

I mean, I guess there are marines, but then the game would be like a sailing sim for one person per ship and probably a pretty terrible FPS for the other 12.
This game isn't trying to be Sea Citizen or anything like that, its basically a coop FPS with ship fights and both the FPS part and team sailing look fun as hell. Crew sizes are much smaller (I think 4 players at the moment?) so everyone has to run around doing a bit of everything and communicate to survive. Check out some of the gameplay videos if you haven't.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Why is it posted in The MMO HMO then???
:colbert:

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

SweetBro posted:

Why is it posted in The MMO HMO then???
:colbert:

It was described as a shared persistent world eartly on

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

This game is going to be Sea Citizen

excellent

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So there's a new game called Skull and Bones that looks like what this game would be if a competent people made it.

Like the same exact game but 100 times better.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
That's not what I said at all!!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

So there's a new game called Skull and Bones that looks like what this game would be if a competent people made it.

That game looks like poop, also lol at calling Ubisoft competent.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

RCarr posted:

Like the same exact game
What the heck man the only thing these two games have in common is that they have pirates

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There's also water and ships, you know. So yeah, pretty much the same thing.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Pirates that operate a pirate ship and have naval battles against other pirate ships. Although I’m not sure if that game has musical instruments so I guess you’re right it’s not THAT similar.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

RCarr posted:

Pirates that operate a pirate ship and have naval battles against other pirate ships. Although I’m not sure if that game has musical instruments so I guess you’re right it’s not THAT similar.
In that game each player operates a whole ship by themselves like Dreadnought. This game is a first person sail 'em up where you can barf in a bucket.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

RCarr posted:

Are you upset you didn't get invited into the tech alpha?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’m upset I did get invited because there’s nothing to do in this game except throw up.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

So I got into the current tech alpha (till the 20th).

so far in about 15 minutes:

- I got drunk and fell through my boat
- sank my own boat with a fortress cannon.
- puked a lot
- got shot dead underwater by some nerd
- stabbed a shark to death
- ran into a graphics glitch while stabbing someone in the head

A+ so far

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

If you can get drunk and stab a shark while puking on it the game actually being good will just be a bonus.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

jabro posted:

If you can get drunk and stab a shark while puking on it the game actually being good will just be a bonus.

Confirmed this is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
I messed around in it for a while and sailed around to a few islands. It seems like it could be pretty fun for a while depending on how much content they add. She ship combat seems like an even more dumbed down version of Guns of Icarus though which is sad but I only got into one fight so I don't know how accurate that is.

• Locked thread