Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
It's not free anymore last I recall, and a quick check seems to imply this is still the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Honestly, who cares if Dino OS guy plays this game?

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Kylra posted:

It's not free anymore last I recall, and a quick check seems to imply this is still the case.

It's still free if you're willing to say you're handicapped on an online checkbox question on Microsoft site with no verification, and already have a legit earlier Windows installed. I'm also assuming that people still arguing about Windows 7 on online game forums in 2017 have some sort of mild autism anyway, so it wouldn't even be a morally bad answer.

Let's talk about the game though.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 11, 2017

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
It's also trivially slower than windows 7/8.1 but gently caress reality amirite guys? Microsoft is an exquisite flower that needs our undying devotion.

https://www.techspot.com/amp/review/1042-windows-10-vs-windows-8-vs-windows-7/

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there any way to play this game before it comes out in early access / beta / whatever, or has that boat already sailed?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

M2tt posted:

It's also trivially slower than windows 7/8.1 but gently caress reality amirite guys? Microsoft is an exquisite flower that needs our undying devotion.

I'm curious about this stuff generally so I read it, but did you even really read this article? Like even that article says at the end it's basically equivalent performance in most regards, and Win10 seems to barely edge to the top on the games' FPS charts.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

When do I get to be a sea pirate tho

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

Kylra posted:

I'm curious about this stuff generally so I read it, but did you even really read this article? Like even that article says at the end it's basically equivalent performance in most regards, and Win10 seems to barely edge to the top on the games' FPS charts.

I did, except I didn't just skip to the conclusion and looked at the real world benchmarks, ignoring the artificial benchmarks because they're meaningless and looking at the gaming benchmarks at 1080p because who cares about 1050p?

Real world scenarios where 10 is

Slower: Excel, Firefox, Chrome, WinRAR, Photoshop, 7-zip, Handbrake, Hybrid x265/x264 conversion, Hitman Absolution, Tomb Raider
Faster: MS Edge, Bioshock Infinite, Metro Redux, Crisis 3

I did say "trivially" slower, which I think is a fair characterization of the OS as a whole, especially in contrast to the "Significantly improves performance" thrown about previously in the thread (+4fps best case scenario in Metro Redux, -4 fps worst case in Hitman)

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Oh, I thought you meant "trivially, it is slower".

But still, it very much seems to me like the margins are small and varied enough in most of those that's it's kind of a toss up as to whether it's meaningful as a performance indicator over a larger data set. This is even more telling when you consider it to be slower when it is slower than either other operating system, and not only when it is slower than both. Also it's not consistent which one is fastest/slowest on most of those tests.

And I'm not using 7zip or winrar constantly enough to really be concerned about even a 25% dip in applications of that sort either vs basically everything else. Neither are most people I'd imagine.

The main factor that is unstated would be DX12 vs DX11 performance re: video games.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Rad Russian posted:

I'm also assuming that people still arguing about Windows 7 on online game forums in 2017 have some sort of mild autism anyway, so it wouldn't even be a morally bad answer.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

M2tt posted:

I'm the guy linking the benchmarks from release day as if performance can't have improved in the 2 years of patching since.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

Byolante posted:

I'm the guy linking the benchmarks from release day as if performance can't have improved in the 2 years of patching since.

I'm the guy attacking data with a straw man.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

M2tt posted:

I'm the guy attacking data with a straw man.

Game mode definitely improved performance for low end machines, that came out a year and a half after those benches were done. Its not a straw man to point out old data doesn't reflect the current reality.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

Byolante posted:

Game mode definitely improved performance for low end machines, that came out a year and a half after those benches were done. Its not a straw man to point out old data doesn't reflect the current reality.

The benchmarks show that all of the windows versions from the last decade perform pretty much the same. There's no reason to assume that has magically changed in the last few months. I'm sorry if her marketing department lied to you, I'm sure she had a good reason.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I'm the guy that doesn't know what a straw man is.

It's what pirates use for target practice.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

M2tt posted:

The benchmarks show that all of the windows versions from the last decade perform pretty much the same. There's no reason to assume that has magically changed in the last few months. I'm sorry if her marketing department lied to you, I'm sure she had a good reason.

Game mode was in the creator update earlier this year.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Who loving cares?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Apparently some people with autism who post in this thread.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Internet Explorer posted:

Apparently some people with autism who post in this thread.

Its the mmo subforum, can anybody in here really say they don't have autism?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me, why is this thread in the MMO sub-forum?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Because it's an MMO?

Jesus, some new videos or news needs to come out about this game. This thread is terrible.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Because it's an MMO?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Is it really Massively Multiplayer? Seems more like instanced cooperative multiplayer. I get that it's all online but I don't really see this as a traditional MMO, it's more along the vein of Elite: Dangerous if anything.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

Byolante posted:

Game mode was in the creator update earlier this year.

For a gain of 1-2 fps, boy is my face red.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

M2tt posted:

For a gain of 1-2 fps, boy is my face red.

Please stop trolling. From your own link, there's pretty much no difference between Windows 7/8/10.

https://www.techspot.com/amp/review/1042-windows-10-vs-windows-8-vs-windows-7/page6.html

And in hist post, it shows a decent bump of minimum framerate, which is just as important (if not more so) than average.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

Please stop trolling. From your own link, there's pretty much no difference between Windows 7/8/10.

https://www.techspot.com/amp/review/1042-windows-10-vs-windows-8-vs-windows-7/page6.html

And in hist post, it shows a decent bump of minimum framerate, which is just as important (if not more so) than average.

I'm not trolling, I'm trying to put the windows 10 fellation in check. That all 3 OSes are the same thing is my entire point. This is the actual link his benchmarks came from though, which is far more indicative than the screenshot he cherry picked: http://www.pcgamer.com/windows-10-game-mode-tested-good-for-minimum-fps-bad-for-multitasking/

From that link: "... in my earlier testing I found little to no benefit—and a few cases where Game Mode actually dropped performance."

I wonder why he didn't include the link to the full article.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I sure do love checking into this thread to see someone whine about Windows versions!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

M2tt posted:

I'm not trolling, I'm trying to put the windows 10 fellation in check. That all 3 OSes are the same thing is my entire point. This is the actual link his benchmarks came from though, which is far more indicative than the screenshot he cherry picked: http://www.pcgamer.com/windows-10-game-mode-tested-good-for-minimum-fps-bad-for-multitasking/

From that link: "... in my earlier testing I found little to no benefit—and a few cases where Game Mode actually dropped performance."

I wonder why he didn't include the link to the full article.

No one's sucking Windows 10 dick or saying it will suck your dick. In fact, at a quick glance, no one was saying it had a significant performance benefit over Windows 7/8. What they were saying is that there are a certain set of APIs that are only available in Windows 10, including Direct X 12, which would explain why a developer would limit their game to Windows 10.

Also, I don't really care what your article says, both sets of benchmarks that they provide show a general trend of a performance bump, except for on a high-end PC, where it still has a benefit on minimum FPS in most cases, in other cases is a wash, and in one benchmark shows a decrease in minimum FPS by 5%.

None of these are good arguments against using Windows 10. There are other more credible, although silly, arguments against using Windows 10, but gaming performance is not one of them.

You loving crazy person.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 13, 2017

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

A business making a sound business decision by not supporting old, outdated software. Tech nerds mad. News at 11.

Communist Q fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 13, 2017

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

No one's sucking Windows 10 dick or saying it will suck your dick. In fact, at a quick glance, no one was saying it had a significant performance benefit over Windows 7/8. What they were saying is that there are a certain set of APIs that are only available in Windows 10, including Direct X 12, which would explain why a developer would limit their game to Windows 10.

Also, I don't really care what your article says, both sets of benchmarks that they provide show a general trend of a performance bump, except for on a high-end PC, where it still has a benefit on minimum FPS in most cases, in other cases in a wash, and in one benchmark shows a decrease in minimum FPS by 5%.

None of these are good arguments against using Windows 10. There are other more credible, although silly, arguments against using Windows 10, but gaming performance is not one of them.

You loving crazy person.

You seem awfully upset about being wrong on the internet.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

M2tt posted:

You seem awfully upset about being wrong on the internet.

"I'm not trolling"

:rolleyes:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Is there a button to just report a whole thread

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Behave like adults and just ignore him

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

How do you go about changing a thread title because:
Sea of Thieves - Windows 10 splerglords mega thread

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

[Ask] me about my pirated copy of Win10

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I hope I get in the PC beta, that'd be really cool.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Kylra posted:

[Ask] me about my pirated copy of Win10

moooods come change the title plaaayz

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I hope I get in the PC beta, that'd be really cool.

Getting into the beta would be fun and good

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Good grief. Come on everyone. Do we really need a pedantic pick apart on game fps? No one is fellating Windows 10 (not even sure how you could do this physically unless you had it on USB) people are showing information recorded by people checking the differences in Operating Systems.

Windows 10 is the future of Microsoft's operating system so we just have to get used to it if we do not like it. It doesn't need to become some bizarre slapfights over who has the YOSPOS.

Thank you kindly, everyone. Please enjoy this Rare Pirate adventure.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Is a parrot on my shoulder something in game or will it be a dlc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
hey guys :) im really looking forward to this bideo game. i dont really care about what version of red hat windows yall are running though

• Locked thread