Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
Newest update allows you to accept voyages (missions) from two different trading companies (factions). Progressive leveling with each company by way of returning loot grants more lucrative missions, titles, emblems, and company-specific equipment. AFAIK this is all cosmetic. It does add some depth to the gameplay. As a crewmember, you can propose a mission by placing its scroll on the captain's desk and vote for which one you want to go on by stabbing it with a knife.

Has anyone else discovered the sword dash exploit? If you stand on the shore and face the sea, or stand on the edge of your ship facing an island, you can do a charged attack with your sword that sends you skipping along the water. Makes disembarking/climbing back aboard MUCH quicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I missed this thread which is a shame as I'd have loved to play with some goons in this alpha test that just ended on 20 December.

I played with a friend and some random guys we matchmaked with and found the game was pretty fun. I'm not wholly convinced that the game is going to have tons of more content upon release as they are releasing in March and we have seen two of the three trading companies they have mentioned.

It seems like the basic premise is don't actually let players buy better guns/swords/ships, and instead currency basically exists to dress up your pirate barbie and your ship, and to gain (in)famous status among other players for being a certain type of player.

Having played EVE Online I know emergent game play can be pretty fun, but a lot of players will struggle to see the point in becoming filthy rich if you can't use that money to beat people to death with your expensive ship and guns.

I actually read the technical alpha forums for a bit, and oh boy were there a LOT of people complaining about being killed in an open world PvP game about pirates where the designers have said they intend to have no safe zones.

At first i was concerned that the game was going to be ruined by griefers, but I soon realised this was all bitching due to several mechanics:

1) If you never have more chests on your ship than you have crew members, if you're being chased you can literally beach your ship on an outpost, jump off the front of your ship with a chest, run and sell it and now killing you holds 0 rewards for the attackers (other than stealing your cannonballs, wood, and bananas)

2) If you sell your chests regularly it takes probably about 5 minutes extra to return to the outpost and sell, and means at most you can lose like 30 minutes work

3) If someone is chasing you and is determined to try and catch you no matter how many sailing tricks you pull, which is what my crew did, when you get bored you can either fight them and die at no cost, or just voluntarily scuttle your ship, and watch it sink before they can get there. Honestly I wish they had just done it 20 minutes earlier and saved us both the hassle.

4) I think it's a bit too difficult to actually sink ships right now as two people can repair a ship in practice for as long as they have wooden planks, so the game simply becomes "your supply of cannonballs vs our supply of wooden planks" which is boring as gently caress. So even if you are shot, a crew focusing entirely on repairing and sailing as fast as possible will basically be in no danger.

Essentially I'm hoping when this comes out lots on 15 year old are going to cry when you ram their ship and sink it and they lose all their treasure and complain on the forums.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I can guarantee you there’s going to be some emote or goofy rear end action that will mean “I am friendly” that if ignore being, you know, a mother loving Pirate will cause much gnashing of teeth.

I got a free upgrade of Windows 10 and plan on doing a massive upgrade to my PC for this game. I am excited to be a pirate and I’m a sucker for any pirate video game that looks good. There’s a surprising lack of any good pirate games out there

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I can guarantee you there’s going to be some emote or goofy rear end action that will mean “I am friendly” that if ignore being, you know, a mother loving Pirate will cause much gnashing of teeth.

I got a free upgrade of Windows 10 and plan on doing a massive upgrade to my PC for this game. I am excited to be a pirate and I’m a sucker for any pirate video game that looks good. There’s a surprising lack of any good pirate games out there

I think the best system would be some sort of flag system, since pirates used to fly under false colours it sort of helps both people. Of course people will bitch when they say "this dude was flying the friendly flag and at the last minute changed to the pirate flag!" but then you can just laugh at them harder and say "that's what pirates did".

Honestly looking at all the bitching from people who thought it made sense to sail around on their own in a game clearly designed for a four person crew was one of the best bits of the alpha.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Kitchner posted:

I think the best system would be some sort of flag system, since pirates used to fly under false colours it sort of helps both people. Of course people will bitch when they say "this dude was flying the friendly flag and at the last minute changed to the pirate flag!" but then you can just laugh at them harder and say "that's what pirates did".

Honestly looking at all the bitching from people who thought it made sense to sail around on their own in a game clearly designed for a four person crew was one of the best bits of the alpha.

Four person crew was alright but I still think a couple of people on the smaller ship is a better experience. The galleon is a pain in the arse to sail.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The future is here. Internet!
Cautiously optimistic for this one. Playing Assassin's Creed 4 I kept thinking how awesome it would be if it was a coop experience, then I saw this game get announced and it sounded like the coolest fuckin thing. Since then I haven't really seen much more being revealed so hopefully they can pull through with some really compelling content. I really hope it doesn't disappoint.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
The co-op sailing is good and fun as hell but the FPS part is just ok. The water looks unbelievably great. If they add good content around sailing, exploring, and upgrading your ship this game will be awesome.

As is, the mechanics are solid but the game feels empty.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

AirRaid posted:

Four person crew was alright but I still think a couple of people on the smaller ship is a better experience. The galleon is a pain in the arse to sail.

That's kind of the point though right?

The galley with four people is actually faster than the two man sloop (thanks to having more sails) meaning that a well sailed galley is pretty awesome, but it's difficult to do well and that's where the challenge is.

The two man sloop was just easy mode to be honest, the person steering can see what they are doing all the time and can easily run down to the map and back up to the wheel, so there's basically no need for a second person. On the other hand you can just about sail the galley with 3 people, but after a bunch of people quit the matchmaking on the last day we ended up with just 2 and then just me, and the galley is basically impossible to sail properly, which to me shows there's teamwork needed, as opposed to the sloop where I can just sail around while you play hearthstone until we land at an island.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Sloop for chilling around on the high seas with randos. Galleon for serious sailing and combat supremacy, but you better have a competent crew or its rear end.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
To be fair me and a mate did some galleys with random guys and it was hit and miss but half the dudes we met were OK.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Well most pubbies are gonna sail like they’ve drank from lead cups all their life if Blackwake is anything to go by so at least it will have that part down for historical accuracy

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Closed Beta has been announced for 24 - 29 January.

Anyone who was in a previous Alpha and/or a member of the Insider programme before 1 December 2017 will have access.

Anyone not one of those people can still gain access to the closed beta if you pre-order.

They have said the beta experience will be tailored for the event and will include some unseen features but also will have some features from the alpha disabled.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Has there been any indication what the system recommended specs are yet?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Has there been any indication what the system recommended specs are yet?

Only "Windows 10".

For what it's worth i have an i5 processor and a 1050 Ti and the alpha ran fine on my computer.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The wording for the Closed Beta seems to imply that they've been/are holding a ton of content back for release, but I'm wary of how that'll actually play out. This game would be great with more content, right now it's not really worth money.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
They've said that they are holding stuff back that was in the Alpha, but I can't really imagine what that would be other than the progression system.

Like what are they going to take out? The sailing and the PvP are core mechanics, so all thats left to take out are the emergent stuff like wrecks which weren't a big deal, and voyages, which are a key mechanic.

I suspect they may remove the progression system, and just have set voyages people can undertake to dig up treasure.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Kitchner posted:

Closed Beta has been announced for 24 - 29 January.

Anyone who was in a previous Alpha and/or a member of the Insider programme before 1 December 2017 will have access.

Anyone not one of those people can still gain access to the closed beta if you pre-order.

They have said the beta experience will be tailored for the event and will include some unseen features but also will have some features from the alpha disabled.

Dang I'm out of town for that one.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
It's funny to watch all the people posting comments and things about this game saying "There's going to be no progression and a lack of content" when really we don't know the details of all of the content yet. When you point this out you get called a rabid fanboy and get told you're making it into the next No Mans Sky.

What happened to the time were people played games because they were fun to play, and not because there was a skill tree of 1,000 weapons and stat boosts to unlock?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Kitchner posted:

It's funny to watch all the people posting comments and things about this game saying "There's going to be no progression and a lack of content" when really we don't know the details of all of the content yet. When you point this out you get called a rabid fanboy and get told you're making it into the next No Mans Sky.

What happened to the time were people played games because they were fun to play, and not because there was a skill tree of 1,000 weapons and stat boosts to unlock?

While I am wary of the NMS-Esque levels of “of course it’ll have this feature, right?” Comments, it’s is a fair point. The game as it is is super fun to play, but gets old kind of fast because it’s pretty aimless. A game like this needs a long term goal to work towards or it gets stale. Whether that’s some fancy progression system or just cool poo poo to buy, it needs something which has not been really shown or talked about yet.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Yeah agree in the idea it needs more than the alpha, but the multiplayer games I've probably played the most online are Halo 3 and Civ 5, and there was no progression beyond cosmetics and rankings in one and nothing in the other, other than beating your friends.

We know there is going to be some sort of profession system both with the three trade companies which unlocks unique stuff, and whatever this pirate legends system is.

I think as long is there is cool looking cosmetics that easily show off some sort of achievement (i.e. It's obvious when you have "that" ship prow that you're a mass murdering pirate) and this pirate legends system gets you some seriously cool bragging rights, that should be enough.

I just don't buy that people won't play the game unless there are 10 different types of cutlass and a level up system.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kitchner posted:

Yeah agree in the idea it needs more than the alpha, but the multiplayer games I've probably played the most online are Halo 3 and Civ 5, and there was no progression beyond cosmetics and rankings in one and nothing in the other, other than beating your friends.

We know there is going to be some sort of profession system both with the three trade companies which unlocks unique stuff, and whatever this pirate legends system is.

I think as long is there is cool looking cosmetics that easily show off some sort of achievement (i.e. It's obvious when you have "that" ship prow that you're a mass murdering pirate) and this pirate legends system gets you some seriously cool bragging rights, that should be enough.

I just don't buy that people won't play the game unless there are 10 different types of cutlass and a level up system.

Somewhere in the last decade there became a not insignificant portion of video gamesmen that do actually think about games that way. Back when CoD introduced progression and I was still on that yearly train, I had not one but two friends who would quit playing once they'd hit cap and unlocked all the guns/skills. There are a ton of people for whom progression is a large reason to continue playing a game past the initial time investment, and while I agree that it's pretty terribly uninteresting to you and me, it's (relatively) little work to lock content behind an XP system to keep people playing/paying money.

In the case of Halo and Civ (and many, many others over the years), those are games with tight, self-reinforcing gameplay loops and solid basic design. Halo has shooting that feels good, and shooting other dudes online never stops being good on its own. Civ is (was?) the premier One More Turn series for years because that was what it was built to do. Sea of Thieves, while cool initially, doesn't really have the same inherent quality in its loop. PvP is fun, stealing or sinking someones ship is neat and assholes like me can derive perhaps more enjoyment from that than most. But the moment you log on and go "Ehhhh... maybe not tonight" and log off, SOT is one of those games that makes it extremely easy to never come back because it just doesn't change. Civ or Halo you can play another civ, use a specific weapon to challenge yourself, play a new mode, whatever. Unless they're planning to significantly support the game post launch with content additions, most people are going to slide off SoT pretty quick once the rush of stealing somebody's ship gets old.

It's not No Man's Sky in terms of over promising and being hailed as the next messiah, but it's on exactly the same trajectory (from what we've seen so far) in terms of being a nothing of a game past the first ten hours or so.

E: Holy poo poo especially for $60, which I'd only just now seen.

Orv fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 15, 2018

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Orv posted:

Somewhere in the last decade there became a not insignificant portion of video gamesmen that do actually think about games that way. Back when CoD introduced progression and I was still on that yearly train, I had not one but two friends who would quit playing once they'd hit cap and unlocked all the guns/skills. There are a ton of people for whom progression is a large reason to continue playing a game past the initial time investment, and while I agree that it's pretty terribly uninteresting to you and me, it's (relatively) little work to lock content behind an XP system to keep people playing/paying money.

In the case of Halo and Civ (and many, many others over the years), those are games with tight, self-reinforcing gameplay loops and solid basic design. Halo has shooting that feels good, and shooting other dudes online never stops being good on its own. Civ is (was?) the premier One More Turn series for years because that was what it was built to do. Sea of Thieves, while cool initially, doesn't really have the same inherent quality in its loop. PvP is fun, stealing or sinking someones ship is neat and assholes like me can derive perhaps more enjoyment from that than most. But the moment you log on and go "Ehhhh... maybe not tonight" and log off, SOT is one of those games that makes it extremely easy to never come back because it just doesn't change. Civ or Halo you can play another civ, use a specific weapon to challenge yourself, play a new mode, whatever. Unless they're planning to significantly support the game post launch with content additions, most people are going to slide off SoT pretty quick once the rush of stealing somebody's ship gets old.

It's not No Man's Sky in terms of over promising and being hailed as the next messiah, but it's on exactly the same trajectory (from what we've seen so far) in terms of being a nothing of a game past the first ten hours or so.

E: Holy poo poo especially for $60, which I'd only just now seen.
This is exactly how I feel. The sailing bit is great but it's not enough to carry the game.

There needs to be progression, and not the CoD/Battlefield type. Imo the game would be best if they took some hints from Rust, ARK, etc and let you slowly establish yourself in the world. Maybe by building an outpost or just upgrading your ship - make the gold you work for mean something.

The first person combat needs serious work to be compelling, 3 weapons doesn't really cut it and makes both PVP and PVE a little boring. The ship combat could be expanded a little but it's decent enough for now.

Coop sailing is fun and challenging and the exploration part of this game could be what makes it great. Interesting and varied locations with cool poo poo to find would be a big draw but right now the only thing you'll find is Skeleton Island #00627. Raids on NPC merchant vessels or fights with NPC Pirate Hunters, fleet-style boss fights against Krakens/100-gun Man o' War ships, etc. It's so easy to think of ideas that would work great in this setting but unfortunately the game right now feels like a very early concept alpha and not a game that's coming out in a few months.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Still not sold that the solution to how to keep people coming back is "have more than one type of cutlass" because as soon as you start introducing different types of weapons you need to unlock a new player, or a casual player who doesn't play for long but does hop on and hop off, will be at a disadvantage.

I know people say "oh but make them side grades" but I've never seen a game where there wasn't usually an "optimal" choice or the choice was essentially meaningless. The person to person combat is a little dull if you both started on an island and just had to fight each other, but that's not really what is supposed to make it fun. The fun bit is supposed to be how you arrived at the combat and the stakes for winning or losing it.

I think the draw they need to go for here is essentially bragging rights, and make it really worth your while to achieve fame/infamy as a pirate legend, not because it makes you inherently better at the game but just because people will instantly know you're awesome.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh I'm not saying progression is the answer. Actual content is the answer, some of which will be bound in progression by necessity, but we need more than three activities to do across the entire game (Ship PvP, find chests, wrecks) as it currently stands.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Interestingly it never occurred to them that when the only "emergent" gameplay was finding chests that people would naturally do more chest digging, because players do like to sort of minmax and build loads of rep with one company rather than some with two.

The NDA is going to be lifted for the beta though which should be interesting, I suspect they will include their co-op streaming stuff if it's ready. Idea being that it makes it easy for an entire crew to stream to a single channel.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Orv posted:

Oh I'm not saying progression is the answer. Actual content is the answer, some of which will be bound in progression by necessity, but we need more than three activities to do across the entire game (Ship PvP, find chests, wrecks) as it currently stands.

There’s more than those 3 activities. Not a hell of a lot more, sure but you are way simplifying it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

AirRaid posted:

There’s more than those 3 activities. Not a hell of a lot more, sure but you are way simplifying it.

I am simplifying by like, two things, four if we're being generous with variations on a theme. It's a thin, thin game right now and I hope that changes.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Orv posted:

I am simplifying by like, two things, four if we're being generous with variations on a theme. It's a thin, thin game right now and I hope that changes.

Absolutely. I'm in the pioneer thing and there's a build for testing up for the last few days until the beta starts, and its still kinda the same.

It's still a blast at the moment though.

I was soloing a sloop the other day, on an island collecting a chest when a Galleon rocked up and opened fire just as I was returning to the boat. By the time i got on board I had 6 holes in the hull and the water was up to the map table. I managed to get the anchor up and get moving before doing some panic bailing and repairs to keep me afloat. Since I was now a moving target they didnt get any more shots into me and I repaired the holes before having to jump on the helm and trying to escape. Couldn't think about returning fire since i was on my own, so I led them on a bit of a chase round the island and then another sloop rocked up and engaged them in combat, so I just ran away whichever way the wind took me and got to a port to sell my 7 chests I had on board.

Cool encounters like this are what will keep people playing, but there does need to be some kind of structure or content to go in between.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
The content the game does have is very good, there's just very little variety.

Orv
May 4, 2011

AirRaid posted:

Absolutely. I'm in the pioneer thing and there's a build for testing up for the last few days until the beta starts, and its still kinda the same.

It's still a blast at the moment though.

I was soloing a sloop the other day, on an island collecting a chest when a Galleon rocked up and opened fire just as I was returning to the boat. By the time i got on board I had 6 holes in the hull and the water was up to the map table. I managed to get the anchor up and get moving before doing some panic bailing and repairs to keep me afloat. Since I was now a moving target they didnt get any more shots into me and I repaired the holes before having to jump on the helm and trying to escape. Couldn't think about returning fire since i was on my own, so I led them on a bit of a chase round the island and then another sloop rocked up and engaged them in combat, so I just ran away whichever way the wind took me and got to a port to sell my 7 chests I had on board.

Cool encounters like this are what will keep people playing, but there does need to be some kind of structure or content to go in between.

Yeah, that stuff is rad and why I play games like this, and properly tuned and delivered it can absolutely give you hundreds of hours of gameplay. We'll just have to see how everyone else feels.

Definitely intend to at least sink a ton of time into the CB if nothing else.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
Would OP or anyone else here oppose to me remaking this thread with a dump of what we do know and what we find out in the upcoming beta? I know it's another two month wait after this week, but I have a bit of garbage gathered already and want to put it all up in a pretty coherent goatse display in an organized op.

Orv
May 4, 2011
As long as it's not too meme-y or whatever, informative is good for something as open-ended as this. Goons are directionless fuckers.

Orv fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 22, 2018

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

automaticswim posted:

Would OP or anyone else here oppose to me remaking this thread with a dump of what we do know and what we find out in the upcoming beta? I know it's another two month wait after this week, but I have a bit of garbage gathered already and want to put it all up in a pretty coherent goatse display in an organized op.

Probably should put it in the regular Games forum instead the The MMO HMO since this is not really an MMO.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
Yeah, got a point there. It won't be meme-y at all, that crap is annoying. I'm the type of nerd that wants all my information collated and readable and am looking forward to this.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Doggir hasn't posted in over a month so probably go for it.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Crosspost from Xbone thread:

I'm looking to play this on PC, but in Denmark it's hella-expensive on Microsoft Store (74€). Since it's Play Anywhere, could I use this trick to get it from the US without screwing anything up for myself?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Popete posted:

Probably should put it in the regular Games forum instead the The MMO HMO since this is not really an MMO.

Yeah, I think the most players in a single instance is likely to be 5 crews of 4 people, so hardly "massive". I guess that makes it merely an MO Game?

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
I'll put up a fleshed out detail heavy one in games tomorrow at about or after the beta goes active, and yeah not really mmo in that sense. If you have/know any discords for it put'm here or PM me and I'll include them.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I am ready to push my xbonx to the limit

I wanna have enough peg parts to look like a coat rack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Anyone know when this goes live? Is it midnight EST?

• Locked thread