Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's a Games for Windows only release? Ugh, I thought Microsoft would have learned that no one wants to use their lovely distribution service and it extremely limits sales. I am really looking forward to this game but if it's gonna be DOA I'll probably pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Windows 10 requirement is just stupid, I have Win 10 but no one is going to upgrade to Windows 10 just to play Sea of Thieves so they're limiting themselves over some stupid policy the highers up want enforced.

I'm more annoyed that this will only be available on the Windows store or whatever and not Steam, after the poo poo show that was Games for Windows I never want to use a Windows game management client again. No one uses that poo poo so it's just another restriction that self limits whose is going to get this game.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SamEyeAm posted:

If the game works and it's fun, play the loving game ffs. Windows 10 is a fine operating system. I upgraded from 7 and have had no issues on a 7 year old PC.

Yeah Windows 10 is fine I don't care about having an OS argument. It's the fact the Micrsoft is terrible about promoting their games and end up artificially restricting the player base on PC by making it Win 10 only and use their lovely app store. This game will be dead on PC in a month from release and it's entirely Microsofts fault. I'm bitter because I want to play it but no one I know is getting it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Yeah it couldn't possibly be because of performance improvements from windows 10 and not wanting to deal with the hassle of keeping it working on several different versions of windows because spergs can't stand new things

You truly think it would be hard to get this game to run on Windows 7?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Much much much harder than getting you to just upgrade already. Like, they gave out windows 10 upgrades for free for a very good reason, dude.

I have Windows 10, I'm not against Windows or anything I just think it's another hamfisted way for Microsoft to try to get people to upgrade to 10 and use their bad Games for Windows or whatever they call it now ecosystem. It artificially limits who is going to be playing this on PC.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

They are artificially limiting you to using windows 10 so that developers don't have to do a shitload more work so a grog hipster like you can keep using your old operating system.

Again I have Windows 10, I don't think you're understanding this. I don't care about the Windows 10/7 argument you're just attacking a straw man.

It's about them continueing to use their dumb Windows app storefront instead of Steam so by default it's already going to limit the people who will buy this since many won't ever even notice it pop up. On top of that the Windows 10 only is a poor excuse to push upgrades because getting this to run on 7 is likely almost not extra work for the devs. Do you ever hear about other developers complaining that it's too much work to support Windows 7 and only do a Windows 10 release? No.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

If it's not about windows 10 why do you keep bringing up 7 instead of "put it on steam"

Why can't it be both? It should be on Steam and it should be Windows 7 compatible just like every other game on the planet that isn't developed by Microsoft for PC. But again it's not because of "too much effort" it's Microsoft's ham fisted way of forcing people into their app store ecosystem and to move over to Windows 10. But in reality no one (or very few) is going to do that just to play Sea of Thieves and I really wish Microsoft would just give up on that and release their games like any other normal developer. Instead this game will have a limited player base on PC and likely die out in a month.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't know how many times I have to say that I already have Windows 10 and I really don't care about arguing about 7 vs 10 it doesn't matter to me.

My point is primarily that Microsoft continues to restrict their games market by trying to force people into their app eco system and it sucks. It's more a complaint that it should be on Steam, but I was harping on Windows 7 because acting like it's a huge pain for a Microsoft published game to support Win 7 compatibility is a really bad excuse when literally every other game on the market works just fine in 7 and 10.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

:thunk:

I mean, maybe if you stopped bringing up windows 10/7 and just talked about distribution platforms you'd be right in saying I'm strawmanning you, buuuuuuut...

Right, it ties into what I'm saying. Microsoft has been trying to rope people into their app ecosystem and force upgrades via Vidya Games for a long time. Does no one remember Games for Windows and how lovely that was? Windows 7 like it or not is still a large share of the OS marketplace and the only reason to limit it to 10 is to get those people over. Which sure ok whatever, I guess at this point they can do that but the game will have a smaller market because of it.

All of this is my way of saying I want to play this game and I don't have an Xbox 1 and I'm pretty sure this game isn't gonna have a big following on PC and it will entirely be Microsofts faults for limiting themselves in the name of pulling people into their ecosystem.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I definitely plant to upgrade my OS when Windows 11 comes out

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me, why is this thread in the MMO sub-forum?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is it really Massively Multiplayer? Seems more like instanced cooperative multiplayer. I get that it's all online but I don't really see this as a traditional MMO, it's more along the vein of Elite: Dangerous if anything.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

Not really. There's nothing to do. You find a chest and it gives you some money that you can't spend on anything. You can sink enemy ships which is cool, but there's no point to doing so. I assume they are gonna add a ton of stuff, because it's boring as hell as is.

Oh damnit, they No Man Sky'd it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
drat I really want this game to work out cause it's conceptually my ideal co-op game.

Sounds like they're stuck at "We have a cool concept but no substantial gameplay" and they're maybe struggling to find what that is.

In other words, I hope they didn't No Man Sky it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Also this game isn't an MMO.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

So there's a new game called Skull and Bones that looks like what this game would be if a competent people made it.

Like the same exact game but 100 times better.

That game looks like poop, also lol at calling Ubisoft competent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

automaticswim posted:

Would OP or anyone else here oppose to me remaking this thread with a dump of what we do know and what we find out in the upcoming beta? I know it's another two month wait after this week, but I have a bit of garbage gathered already and want to put it all up in a pretty coherent goatse display in an organized op.

Probably should put it in the regular Games forum instead the The MMO HMO since this is not really an MMO.

• Locked thread