Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
Except this game is using the unreal engine and they could port it to PS4 by clicking a checkbox if they wanted to.

lol APIs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

Pryce posted:

Sure, but that's not what this conversation is about. We're arguing about why these are Windows 10 exclusive games (instead of supporting previous Windows version).

Except it is because it's a business decision by Microsoft, all these technical excuses are white knighting nonsense.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
It's also trivially slower than windows 7/8.1 but gently caress reality amirite guys? Microsoft is an exquisite flower that needs our undying devotion.

https://www.techspot.com/amp/review/1042-windows-10-vs-windows-8-vs-windows-7/

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

Kylra posted:

I'm curious about this stuff generally so I read it, but did you even really read this article? Like even that article says at the end it's basically equivalent performance in most regards, and Win10 seems to barely edge to the top on the games' FPS charts.

I did, except I didn't just skip to the conclusion and looked at the real world benchmarks, ignoring the artificial benchmarks because they're meaningless and looking at the gaming benchmarks at 1080p because who cares about 1050p?

Real world scenarios where 10 is

Slower: Excel, Firefox, Chrome, WinRAR, Photoshop, 7-zip, Handbrake, Hybrid x265/x264 conversion, Hitman Absolution, Tomb Raider
Faster: MS Edge, Bioshock Infinite, Metro Redux, Crisis 3

I did say "trivially" slower, which I think is a fair characterization of the OS as a whole, especially in contrast to the "Significantly improves performance" thrown about previously in the thread (+4fps best case scenario in Metro Redux, -4 fps worst case in Hitman)

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

Byolante posted:

I'm the guy linking the benchmarks from release day as if performance can't have improved in the 2 years of patching since.

I'm the guy attacking data with a straw man.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

Byolante posted:

Game mode definitely improved performance for low end machines, that came out a year and a half after those benches were done. Its not a straw man to point out old data doesn't reflect the current reality.

The benchmarks show that all of the windows versions from the last decade perform pretty much the same. There's no reason to assume that has magically changed in the last few months. I'm sorry if her marketing department lied to you, I'm sure she had a good reason.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

Byolante posted:

Game mode was in the creator update earlier this year.

For a gain of 1-2 fps, boy is my face red.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

Internet Explorer posted:

Please stop trolling. From your own link, there's pretty much no difference between Windows 7/8/10.

https://www.techspot.com/amp/review/1042-windows-10-vs-windows-8-vs-windows-7/page6.html

And in hist post, it shows a decent bump of minimum framerate, which is just as important (if not more so) than average.

I'm not trolling, I'm trying to put the windows 10 fellation in check. That all 3 OSes are the same thing is my entire point. This is the actual link his benchmarks came from though, which is far more indicative than the screenshot he cherry picked: http://www.pcgamer.com/windows-10-game-mode-tested-good-for-minimum-fps-bad-for-multitasking/

From that link: "... in my earlier testing I found little to no benefit—and a few cases where Game Mode actually dropped performance."

I wonder why he didn't include the link to the full article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

Internet Explorer posted:

No one's sucking Windows 10 dick or saying it will suck your dick. In fact, at a quick glance, no one was saying it had a significant performance benefit over Windows 7/8. What they were saying is that there are a certain set of APIs that are only available in Windows 10, including Direct X 12, which would explain why a developer would limit their game to Windows 10.

Also, I don't really care what your article says, both sets of benchmarks that they provide show a general trend of a performance bump, except for on a high-end PC, where it still has a benefit on minimum FPS in most cases, in other cases in a wash, and in one benchmark shows a decrease in minimum FPS by 5%.

None of these are good arguments against using Windows 10. There are other more credible, although silly, arguments against using Windows 10, but gaming performance is not one of them.

You loving crazy person.

You seem awfully upset about being wrong on the internet.

• Locked thread