Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah that actually seems cool, hope it turns out well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Between Spartacus and Black Sails, Starz has actually made some pretty decent television in recent years. If you're into the period, or you like cable historical dramas and all that implies, Black Sails is great. DaVinci's Demons is also a thing that happens, but that's mostly enjoyable to me because I like charismatic roguish characters doing dumb bullshit, rather than it being a good show.

E: Really though you should be watching The Borgias because somehow the writers of The Tudors escaped their summary execution and got more jobs.

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 14, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think this first test is just Xbox, so I don't think I even had a chance of getting in. :smith:

Orv
May 4, 2011
You'll either like Billy even more eventually or really dislike how his arc goes.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That game somehow actively got worse after coming out of Early Access, it was kind of impressive in a way.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So they released some stats from that first set of testing.

First player to use a Mermaid:

Hmm.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Who loving cares?

Orv
May 4, 2011
The wording for the Closed Beta seems to imply that they've been/are holding a ton of content back for release, but I'm wary of how that'll actually play out. This game would be great with more content, right now it's not really worth money.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kitchner posted:

Yeah agree in the idea it needs more than the alpha, but the multiplayer games I've probably played the most online are Halo 3 and Civ 5, and there was no progression beyond cosmetics and rankings in one and nothing in the other, other than beating your friends.

We know there is going to be some sort of profession system both with the three trade companies which unlocks unique stuff, and whatever this pirate legends system is.

I think as long is there is cool looking cosmetics that easily show off some sort of achievement (i.e. It's obvious when you have "that" ship prow that you're a mass murdering pirate) and this pirate legends system gets you some seriously cool bragging rights, that should be enough.

I just don't buy that people won't play the game unless there are 10 different types of cutlass and a level up system.

Somewhere in the last decade there became a not insignificant portion of video gamesmen that do actually think about games that way. Back when CoD introduced progression and I was still on that yearly train, I had not one but two friends who would quit playing once they'd hit cap and unlocked all the guns/skills. There are a ton of people for whom progression is a large reason to continue playing a game past the initial time investment, and while I agree that it's pretty terribly uninteresting to you and me, it's (relatively) little work to lock content behind an XP system to keep people playing/paying money.

In the case of Halo and Civ (and many, many others over the years), those are games with tight, self-reinforcing gameplay loops and solid basic design. Halo has shooting that feels good, and shooting other dudes online never stops being good on its own. Civ is (was?) the premier One More Turn series for years because that was what it was built to do. Sea of Thieves, while cool initially, doesn't really have the same inherent quality in its loop. PvP is fun, stealing or sinking someones ship is neat and assholes like me can derive perhaps more enjoyment from that than most. But the moment you log on and go "Ehhhh... maybe not tonight" and log off, SOT is one of those games that makes it extremely easy to never come back because it just doesn't change. Civ or Halo you can play another civ, use a specific weapon to challenge yourself, play a new mode, whatever. Unless they're planning to significantly support the game post launch with content additions, most people are going to slide off SoT pretty quick once the rush of stealing somebody's ship gets old.

It's not No Man's Sky in terms of over promising and being hailed as the next messiah, but it's on exactly the same trajectory (from what we've seen so far) in terms of being a nothing of a game past the first ten hours or so.

E: Holy poo poo especially for $60, which I'd only just now seen.

Orv fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 15, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh I'm not saying progression is the answer. Actual content is the answer, some of which will be bound in progression by necessity, but we need more than three activities to do across the entire game (Ship PvP, find chests, wrecks) as it currently stands.

Orv
May 4, 2011

AirRaid posted:

There’s more than those 3 activities. Not a hell of a lot more, sure but you are way simplifying it.

I am simplifying by like, two things, four if we're being generous with variations on a theme. It's a thin, thin game right now and I hope that changes.

Orv
May 4, 2011

AirRaid posted:

Absolutely. I'm in the pioneer thing and there's a build for testing up for the last few days until the beta starts, and its still kinda the same.

It's still a blast at the moment though.

I was soloing a sloop the other day, on an island collecting a chest when a Galleon rocked up and opened fire just as I was returning to the boat. By the time i got on board I had 6 holes in the hull and the water was up to the map table. I managed to get the anchor up and get moving before doing some panic bailing and repairs to keep me afloat. Since I was now a moving target they didnt get any more shots into me and I repaired the holes before having to jump on the helm and trying to escape. Couldn't think about returning fire since i was on my own, so I led them on a bit of a chase round the island and then another sloop rocked up and engaged them in combat, so I just ran away whichever way the wind took me and got to a port to sell my 7 chests I had on board.

Cool encounters like this are what will keep people playing, but there does need to be some kind of structure or content to go in between.

Yeah, that stuff is rad and why I play games like this, and properly tuned and delivered it can absolutely give you hundreds of hours of gameplay. We'll just have to see how everyone else feels.

Definitely intend to at least sink a ton of time into the CB if nothing else.

Orv
May 4, 2011
As long as it's not too meme-y or whatever, informative is good for something as open-ended as this. Goons are directionless fuckers.

Orv fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 22, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011
Doggir hasn't posted in over a month so probably go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
12PM GMT Wednesday.

6 hours from this post, basically.

Orv fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 24, 2018

• Locked thread