Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Been looking at this since E3. Signed up then and got an invite for this test, where do I go to fire goons out of cannons?

E: actually read the thing and joined the discord. Any UK/Euro goons in this thing?

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Mine installed okay, and I played a little solo since no-one else seems to be about.

Game could use more feedback and direction. I did my first riddle that it gives you at the start, found a chest, sold it for a pitiful amount of gold that wouldnt buy anything, and then... nothing. No way to find another map/riddle that I could see.

Started a new game and got a new riddle, but that one seemed unfathomable on the 3rd clue, I'm pretty sure I was playing music where it wanted me to but nothing happened. And then some nice fellows came along and sunk my boat while I was on the island so I was marooned.

I love the look and feel of the game, sailing is fun, although dicey on your own when parking up at an island.

Game overall would probably be much better with some crewmates to play with, and a lot more in the world to do that just sailing about. The puzzles and things are excellent but they'll need a lot of variety to avoid going stale quickly.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

Does anyone remember the name of the home island, where you turn in chests and stuff? I forgot to mark it down before I went sailing. :downs:

There's several, and they're all called something Outpost. Look for your nearest Outpost island and head to there, they all have a chest buying lady and a shop.

So I just rocked up an outpost and was fixing my ship because yes I grounded it like a landlubber and another guy rocks up, pretty much beaches his boat next to me.

All I hear is *CRASH* .... "That'll leave a mark" over voice comms.

Then he comes over and offers me three chests because he bought all the available stuff already. Gave me like 5500 gold :pirate:

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 3, 2017

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

So far I've found cursed chests that spew water (hold them on the gangplank and away from the boat) and ones that get you instantly drunk, are there any others?

I've seen the chest of a thousand grogs, Fell off the dock trying to deliver it. :shobon:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Next play session started today. Runs til Monday. Need some goons to keep the hordes of pubs at bay though.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

jabro posted:

If you can get drunk and stab a shark while puking on it the game actually being good will just be a bonus.

Confirmed this is possible.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Kitchner posted:

I think the best system would be some sort of flag system, since pirates used to fly under false colours it sort of helps both people. Of course people will bitch when they say "this dude was flying the friendly flag and at the last minute changed to the pirate flag!" but then you can just laugh at them harder and say "that's what pirates did".

Honestly looking at all the bitching from people who thought it made sense to sail around on their own in a game clearly designed for a four person crew was one of the best bits of the alpha.

Four person crew was alright but I still think a couple of people on the smaller ship is a better experience. The galleon is a pain in the arse to sail.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Kitchner posted:

It's funny to watch all the people posting comments and things about this game saying "There's going to be no progression and a lack of content" when really we don't know the details of all of the content yet. When you point this out you get called a rabid fanboy and get told you're making it into the next No Mans Sky.

What happened to the time were people played games because they were fun to play, and not because there was a skill tree of 1,000 weapons and stat boosts to unlock?

While I am wary of the NMS-Esque levels of “of course it’ll have this feature, right?” Comments, it’s is a fair point. The game as it is is super fun to play, but gets old kind of fast because it’s pretty aimless. A game like this needs a long term goal to work towards or it gets stale. Whether that’s some fancy progression system or just cool poo poo to buy, it needs something which has not been really shown or talked about yet.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Orv posted:

Oh I'm not saying progression is the answer. Actual content is the answer, some of which will be bound in progression by necessity, but we need more than three activities to do across the entire game (Ship PvP, find chests, wrecks) as it currently stands.

There’s more than those 3 activities. Not a hell of a lot more, sure but you are way simplifying it.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Orv posted:

I am simplifying by like, two things, four if we're being generous with variations on a theme. It's a thin, thin game right now and I hope that changes.

Absolutely. I'm in the pioneer thing and there's a build for testing up for the last few days until the beta starts, and its still kinda the same.

It's still a blast at the moment though.

I was soloing a sloop the other day, on an island collecting a chest when a Galleon rocked up and opened fire just as I was returning to the boat. By the time i got on board I had 6 holes in the hull and the water was up to the map table. I managed to get the anchor up and get moving before doing some panic bailing and repairs to keep me afloat. Since I was now a moving target they didnt get any more shots into me and I repaired the holes before having to jump on the helm and trying to escape. Couldn't think about returning fire since i was on my own, so I led them on a bit of a chase round the island and then another sloop rocked up and engaged them in combat, so I just ran away whichever way the wind took me and got to a port to sell my 7 chests I had on board.

Cool encounters like this are what will keep people playing, but there does need to be some kind of structure or content to go in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Beta build went live for pioneers yesterday. Not sure when they’re throwing the switch for everyone, but it’s installable now.

Pro tip I would completely uninstall any alpha build you have and install from scratch, I had some issues with it updating over the old build.

• Locked thread