Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Problem description: This morning I was unable to wake my laptop (Acer Aspire V3-372-587T, not even 2 months old) from sleep mode. I could turn it on after doing a battery reset (the battery is not removeable so you have to use a pin in a tiny hole on the back), but it kept returning to sleep mode after a couple of minutes, or immediately after I logged into windows.

Attempted fixes: After some googling, I changed the operation of the power button under windows 10 to 'shutdown' instead of sleep. Then instead of going to sleep, after a few minutes (or immediately after logging in) it would display the shutting down message and turn off instead of sleeping. It also now is turning itself on randomly.

This lead me to think that its a power button issue or something like that? As in it is sending power on/off messages when I'm not pressing it.

I've now set the performance of this button to do nothing, but I'm still getting power offs every 20 minutes or so as if I'd held down the power button for a while. It's one of those dumb power buttons that doesn't really click and floats inside the case. I've tried pushing it up with a pin but it seems to be reoccuring. I reset all my bios options but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Recent changes: I didn't make any changes to my pc in the last few days except for a few steam games.

--

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs: Acer Aspire V3-372-587T

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I can't really afford to send this off (or to be without it for a few weeks or whatever) so I'd love to be able to locate the issue. I assume opening the case will void my warranty (a ridiculous choice on a laptop with an internal battery). This has only been happening for a few hours. I called acer support but they were not particularly helpful, obviously english as a second language and didn't really grok what I was saying.

Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I have now turned off every single power off/sleep option available, and I've not turned off in 35 minutes and counting - a record so far.

This is not really feasible for use though as I'll often just leave my computer to go to sleep or fall asleep while a movie is playing, which I assume will lead to my laptop staying on till the battery dries up.

Will update if/when it powers off.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I carked it after about an hour and a half. Now i can not get it to power on. Battery charging light works, and after mashing the button and battery reset a bunch of times the power light occasionally turns on for a second or two, but it seems like the button is not really responding.

I'm at a loss, it's an almost new laptop and I've hardly touched any settings or anything before today, scan regularly, don't use any wierd or unstable applications.

A bit upset as I could have built a more powerful pc for half the price, but i went this way specifically to avoid hardware instability.

I'm going to put it aside for a few hours before I damage it out of frustration, and then try and find out if opening the case voids my warranty (lots of similar issues on the web seem to have solutions that involve unplugging the battery).

Does this sound like a faulty hardware thing? At this point I'm expecting to have to send it off, but hopefully i can get it to power on again to backup my data.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Contact the manufacturer for a replacement under warranty, you should not be messing around with a new machine like this.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I just got my pc back from repair - they didn't actually end up deleting any of my data, and all the repair sheet says is "Win 8 Key Injected".

Could anyone explain what this means, or what went wrong that this was the required action?

Cheers!

E: Its a windows 10 pc

field balm fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
They may have replace the motherboard and therefore needed to put a product key into the new one. That's my guess

• Locked thread