Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
Hi, I made a dumb mistake and ended up deleting a partition on an external hard drive. It is a Mac formatted drive (HFS+). There were three partitions, the first on disk was smaller, I am assuming it was some kind of index, the second is all of the data which has not been touched, and the third which I have no idea about but it is small. I deleted the first partition for reasons I'd rather not go into because it is incredibly stupid.

I've used EaseUS Recovery Wizard and I can see the data (plus a bunch of junk data, like thumbnails), but it's all FILE0203.JPG and has none of the original directory structure, file names, etc. My question is... is that original structure totally lost? I can save the data but it will take a very long time to sort it and make sense of it. If it's not lost, what steps do I need to take to ensure it does not get further hosed? Then of course, how do I re-create that original index and directory structure? I want to learn how this works so I never gently caress this up again/could recover myself it if I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Have you tried using Testdisk to recover the partition? If you've hosed the partition table but not the data that's the go-to tool. It tries to examine the disk and figure out what the partition table should be and rebuild it. Obviously this can make things worse so I would image the disk first if you can.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
I downloaded Testdisk but have not had a chance to go deep into it. It's almost 1TB of data so imaging the disk is hard. I just ordered a 6TB drive today so maybe I can use some of that space to dupe what is there? Is there a preferred way to do that or is that enough? I have another 1TB drive that has movies and crap on it I can move over to the 6TB drive so I can use it to image the broken disk if that is better? I'm also told that Stellar Phoenix is a good program to do this work but I haven't tried it yet either.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Yes image the drive to a file on the 6TB disk, there's a billion near-identical programs that will do this but Macrium Reflect Free is the most commonly recommended option.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
Thank you, I've use Reflect before so I know how that works. Going to try some more tonight and see if I can get some results.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
Ok, Testdisk looks complicated to me and I'm going to try it again, but I ran Stellar Phoenix and get similar results to EaseUS. I can recover RAW files, but it has no sense of structure, does not recognize the drive as HFS+, and in another scan thought the drive was NTFS. I don't really understand what is going on.

Edit: One scan is still running and it has found 32 Lost/Deleted "Volumes" and that sounds bad to me.

Asshole Masonanie fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 22, 2016

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm going to wager that this is bad.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piglips
Oct 9, 2003

I was just dealing with a drive that was giving me similar results. Looks like the drive's encrypted. Some USB enclosures self-encrypt the drive whether you want them to or not, binding them to the enclosure.

If you've pulled the drive out of the enclosure, put it back in there and then run testdisk over it.

• Locked thread