Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Someone on OS confirmed that OLinemen are still invincible because there are still no off the ball injuries. They can get hurt like last year if they pick up a fumble or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
One of the lead designers said that OLine injuries weren't in in an interview.

https://youtu.be/9N8d38iep-Y

Should be at 9:17

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
If it's not formation subs I'll be sad.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Metapod posted:

Why are day 0 patches a thing? Earnest question

Games have to go gold so that they can be physically printed and shipped out to stores ahead of the release date. Between the game going gold and the release date they usually get a patch together cleaning up some bugs and tweaking some things.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
They used to have a pretty decent superstar mode but wrecked it with CFM.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Oberst posted:

Always play owner mode. There's no reason not to unless being john harbaugh arouses you

Or if you don't like messing with the broken financial system.

Also the wind arrow pointing the wrong direction bug is still in there because EA just don't give a gently caress.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I blocked a FG in overtime and ran it back for the win so I like the game again.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
It really is. I've got my bags and there are a few things is still really really doesn't do right (see: Defensive Secondary and anything related to progression and scouting in CFM) but overall it is a good game, and I haven't felt that way about a madden game on PS4 yet.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
My low OVR studs are always fast/agile RBs and tall/fast WRs. They play way above their ratings.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

General Dog posted:

Also pretty impressive how the UI has continually gotten worse over the past 12 years

Yeah, I have a hard time understanding why they keep UI elements that actively get in the way. You'd think that they'd make a smooth UI, then try to add flash and if it slows it down either nix it or fix it. Instead they start with an unworkable mess and... leave it that way?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
It's the only football game so yes.

Also it's actually pretty good this year.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Also make sure you're never adding contracts to anyone except your best players. A contract for an elite costs the same as a contract for a solo-grinding-silver, so if you manage to run out of silver/bronzes for solo challenges somehow there's no drawback to using your golds/non limited elites.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

JPrime posted:

some times when choosing a play on offense, the circles representing the players will be silver/gray rather than blue. what does that mean?

As far as I can tell it means for some reason the game wasn't able to pull the players fatigue level. I think it's just a glitch.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Eifert Posting posted:

Madden 18 will have coverage assignments.

Have they clarified that this means the feature we all want or from the description could it just be that the game tells you who you're covering on a play (because that's exactly what the description says it is which is horseshit.)

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Eifert Posting posted:

I hope it's the latter because I will feel really dumb buying the first version on a new engine.

They are. ALWAYS. poo poo.

But coverage assignments are the biggest missing feature in Madden.

I would wait for confirmation then because nothing they have said indicates that coverage assignments (as we want them) are in the game.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Waroduce posted:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/we-go-in-depth-on-madden-18s-wild-new-story-mode-with-creative-lead-mike-young

As EA revealed during their press conference, Madden 18's story mode will in effect be an adventure game: a seamless interactive movie in which you influence your choices through branching dialogue. There will be no NFL games in this mode, but Madden's core mechanics will manifest in other ways, such as through high school football, drills, and quicktime events.

lol no football but quicktime

Awesome can't wait to scroll past this so glad they took development resources away from Franchise to get this in there.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

real_scud posted:

They didn't. This has been worked on for about 2-3 years by a small team, most of them were brought in specifically for this. So quit your lovely bitching.

Clint literally said that they had to fight extra hard to get features in to CFM (in reference to off ball injuries) due to the new engine and new story mode. It absolutely took resources away.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

Can you source that or are you just assuming? In the second video I posted above at the 11:45 mark Rex goes into some detail on what they're doing with CFM.

I don't know how to Twitter so here's a screenshot.

https://imgur.com/gallery/iK09N

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I mean they had to "fight like hell" (Clint's words, not mine) just to get a basic missing feature like offensive linemen getting hurt into the game. That's sad. What if Clint hadn't fought like hell? Would we have gotten literally nothing? We still can't pick the weather or if a stadium's retractable roof is open or closed in CFM, even though you can in play now games so it'd just be a simple GUI addition to give us that ability.

I will say that one thing is not a zero-sum game, and that's MUT. I don't like MUT but I know it prints money for them so I figure it brings in enough resources to cover itself. This new story mode poo poo will not.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

real_scud posted:

They might've had to fight extra hard because of the engine, not the story mode stuff. The switch to Frostbite is/was a pain in the rear end and they ended up having to bring all hands on deck to get it done. The story mode stuff was basically done by a small group for a long time who were pretty independent of the rest of Madden dev.

They also probably had to fight extra hard to get it in because of how hardwired a lot of Madden is, so since it was something that the game didn't do easily it probably took more effort than one would think to get off the ball injuries in.

No but as a developer and someone who really knows what happens in games I have to defend other developers when lovely manbabies bitch and whine about things they have no real idea about.

Clint literally said that they had to fight due to story mode and the new engine. He could've easily said it was just the new engine but he chose to say that story mode was part of it also. I don't think it could be more clear.

If story mode takes off and is amazing and people love it then sure, they did the right thing focusing on it instead of CFM or whatever. When it flops it'll just have been a waste of resources.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Eifert Posting posted:

Generally it's kinda lovely to buy used games since Gamespot doesn't pay devs. :eng101:

But then neither does EA for most of the time the devs spend working on the game so

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Waroduce posted:

I'm gunna get Madden for the frst time since Madden 25 on 360. Is the GOAT edition worth it or no? I haven't ever played that card poo poo so I'm not sure if I should spring for it or not. I imagine I will play that card game probably sine it seems super popular but previously I stuck to offline franchise.

If you're the type that is going to spend money on the cards anyway then sure. That's the only difference though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Waroduce posted:

Do you need to spend money on cards? I'm not gunna sperg full goon and min max all my bullshit like...I'll play for fun and maybe buy less than 5 packs. .

Is the discount on the included packs significant?

You don't need to but you'll be pretty far behind people who don't unless you spend a bunch of time doing the challenges to make coins (depending on how lucrative those end up being this year). According to the first site I found it's $50 worth of stuff for the extra $20 so it's a good deal IF you're the type of person to spend money on stuff like MUT, but if you're not sure about it probably go regular edition.

• Locked thread