Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
lol

OK.

In real life we're going to remain though, like it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

The Dregs posted:

Just read the OP, but why the hell would you have to pay 250 million spacebucks a week to be in the EU? That's nuts. Does every country have to pay that? Greece can't afford 20 bucks for gas.
Right the UK pays £350mil in a week (anyone who disputes this out of hand is brainwashed, It Is A Fact) but gets quite a lot of it back directly, plus gets stuff like region funding and CAP money back. Basically if where you live is a shithole or a farm, the EU probably has some money for you.

How much you contribute is done by a no doubt obscenely complicated algorithm but it's £18bn a year for us.

Some countries are net contributors (most northern countries), others benefit from it more than they put in (basically old Soviet/Yugoslav states).

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tramadol Junkie posted:

Nope.

We are leaving.

I will stake my SA account on that.
That is a brave toxx right there given how bad the last week has been for Leave.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Ape Fist posted:

Seeing as the UK is all about referendums to let states leave Unions, how about a referendum to let the Six Counties join the Republic? :nsa:
They'd say no (unionists are far and away the majority over there), and the Republic also doesn't really want them.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tramadol Junkie posted:

I think most people saw right through Cameron and his cronies assassination of that female libtard politician by that Manchurian Candidate "Chance the Gardner".
I think you are full of tramadol and do not understand how much it put off polite society Vote Leave people or how badly it tanked Leave's inertia on social media, which is where people are getting slapped around the face with unwanted opinions All Bloody Day on the old facebook.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Here's a "poll of polls" that has them neck and neck.

I predict a lot of people are going to vote for the status quo on the day and it won't look much like that bar in the end.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

RobattoJesus posted:

The didn't "provide" you a lot of money, they gave back a bit of money you gave to them.
Nah, Liverpool is just a sink for for other people's money.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kitchner posted:

The best reason to vote remain is it will kill the career of Boris Johnson.

Oh and that if we leave families in the UK will be £1,000 a year worse off by 2030.
Can we just talk about the latter claim for a second because it's a big part of Remain's whole schtick.

In the UK, "the country" meaning the rich have been steadily getting richer since 2009, but the average worker has had next to no wage growth. Like the Treasury saying "you will miss out on X money" doesn't really deal with the fact that the average Brit has already lost thousands, maybe tens of thousands, of pounds they are "owed" by GDP rises.

Like the campaign isn't "if something doesn't change, your family will be tens to hundreds of thousands of pounds worse off by 2030, and you still won't have a house". But it should be!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Roylicious posted:

Or you could take the middle path and demand that the Germans stop dictating the EU's economic policy and get some reform done rather than take your ball and go home where the roof is leaking and your ball will get stolen.
The ECB (read Germany and France) is going to dictate the EU's economic policy until it is inevitably destroyed by someone like Soros and his pals. The EU's economic policy is driven by the concerns of the euro members, which are ultimately basically the same as the concerns of everyone at the moment, including the UK.

Enrich corporations at the expense of national governments, act like this is happening by consent (which it sort of is but only very sort of), and then don't tax them.

Let workers move around so the most skilled ones end up in the UK/Germany and the dumb ones in the most desperate parts of Europe you can mainly replace with robots and/or pay gently caress all with your mobile untaxed capital.

Tramadol Junkie posted:

I couldn't give a rats rear end about the British economy, I just want Brexit so we can kick all the bloody brown immigrants and poles out.
Literally won't happen even if there is a Brexit. Big business and the government would rather get in cheap skilled labour than rear and train it for 21 years to maybe do an okay job, keep dreaming small minded racists.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

City of Tampa posted:

if literally the worst (and most solidly backed up) part of the argument is that "Europe's gonna be real mad and is gonna hurt you on purpose" , I'm not sure that Brits should fall for that. It doesn't set a good precedent
Right?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

RobattoJesus posted:

The funniest thing about Brexit is that the Bremainers think that if they win the populists they've just beaten will go away, and the Brexiteers think that if they win all the hashtag no borders people will just shut up.

The only thing that is certain is that Britain has almost completed its transformation into the USA where everyone just runs around shouting LIEBERALLLLLS and CONSERVAAAATIVES all day long.
I can't believe I'm hearing that a referendum where nothing of any value was addressed and both campaigns were led by men from the same political party might not bring closure to an issue that will never go away.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Is there anything you won't say, other than nothing? gently caress sakes.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Roylicious posted:

You don't think it's funny that because of some empty nationalist referendum all the conservatives and liberals are advocating the opposite of what they would normally be wanting?
There are people from every party and every place on the political spectrum on each side of the referendum apart from maybe the lib dems who are a loving irrelevance anyway, hope that helps your understanding of a topic you've been incessantly but ignorantly weighing in on for post after post after interminable post.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

quote:

the conservatives want the UK to leave
The conservative party is the main official backer of both the Stay and Leave campaigns.

David Cameron, pig loving PM, is putting forward a case for the UK to stay in the EU. This is backed by the (Conservative) government's treasury and much of the economically conservative world.

Boris Johnson, pretend oaf and Tory, is putting forward a case for the UK to leave.

This is really simple stuff.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Matty posted:

Basically what the choice to leave or not leave should be an economic and legal argument but instead has been whether you like or dislike browns and foreigners coming to the uk and whether or not they are a drain and faaaarrrrt
Peep this:

It's actually a (retardedly flawed) economic and legal argument on the Remain side and more of a (irrelevant and offensive) browns and foreigners argument on the Exit side and they're both talking past each other almost completely.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

or when Caesar came to power, Britain should have just listened to the solid economic arguments for joining the Roman Empire

Britain has a long history of telling Europe to gently caress off when they form mega-empires :eng101:
It literally did this though.

And it was in the Catholic Church during the time that Charles V was alive.

e: was this the whole point of your post? I don't even know with your posts.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Congratulations to the op for achieving the impossible and having people not from britain make a thread about britain somehow even worse.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

CharlestonJew posted:

the polish made witcher 3 which puts them over the UK in the "good countries" scale
Ah and yet the British "are making" Star Citizen and No Man's Sky, which puts them in the #1 spot wrt grifting space retards.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

spud posted:

Maybe in 2200 we will have a Muslim majority population?
lol at the concept of people maintaining their faith in any god over more than 2 generations in our forsaken swamp.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

GORDON posted:

I remember my religious grandmother telling me sometime in the 1980's that the muslim plan to conquer the world was to immigrate, and begin breeding. Supposedly it was in one of their religious texts. She was WAY ahead of her time.
The huge upsurge in the number of muslims in the 1970s was as a result of conversions rather than them having a lot of kids.

It was a countercultural thing against the materialism of both sides of the Cold War. That's why the whole Nation of Islam thing kicked off, and the revolution in Iran, too.

Hope that helps.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

a real jerk posted:

you maniacs are really going to leave

fantastic self destruction mates
A B S O L U T E M A D M E N
B
S
O
L
U
T
E
M
A
D
M
E
N

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

AceClown posted:

Why are we asking pie-eyed pilled up students about this? What is going on?
It was good to get some "real" British opinions from shitfaced children imo.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

If the UK votes remain I hope the next economic downturn the EU forces out the prime minster, puts their own stooge in place, and implements harsh austerity measures that gently caress over the working class while not doing any good.
We did that to ourselves already what would be the point of the EU doing it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Rocks posted:

David Cameron is such a loving idiot , what a disastrous legacy that guy will have now
Many men have tried to end the UK.

The Spanish Empire.
The perfidious Dutch (don't think we don't remember)
Napoleons I and III
Hitler

Only one has succeeded, and for the dumbest reason of all: internal party discipline in a Tory majority government.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Guessing trading on the FTSE might just be suspended today given how unbelievably buttmad the world's traders are going to be with the British.

We managed to kill the Nikkei and a couple of American indices. Not bad.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

When can they vote the Chancellor emergency powers to stop Brexit?
This was technically just advisory I think.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Grammaton posted:

How are people in Gibraltar going to buy food from Spain now? I'm worried about them for real.
Um they nip over a very small bridge which already has border controls on it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

rgocs posted:

Setting up border control points between Ireland and Northern Ireland is going to be interesting. Not sure it'll sit well with the population.
Since the establishment of the Free State there haven't been serious border controls that is like an anti-problem.

The actual problem is waiting out the unbelievable tide of rage from traders who backed the wrong pony and want blood.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

David Copperfield posted:

I wonder if the Scottish Referendum would've come out differently if they hosted it after this one
You're going to find out in literally a month or two when the SNP launches a referendum at the open goal the Tories have left.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Prettz posted:

Get this: the results of Brexit won't be too bad because the status quo ALWAYS wins out, in all things.
This is the secret hope and fear of both sides.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Sadly they don't burn due to regs.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Danger Mahoney posted:

It has been one hell of a day for internet crybaby meltdowns.
Isn't just the internet. Lot of people are losing their poo poo irl.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Rather Dashing posted:

Hey goons, I'm part monumentally depressed and part terrified about not only my own future but more so of my autistic five year old son. Felt like saying that somewhere, thanks.
Get him an account and he'll do fine here.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Danger Mahoney posted:

So the UK was the workhorse (or field boy if you're using American vernacular) of the EU. Paid the most in at a huge net loss, received the fewest benefits, and served as the primary "refugees go here" dumpster. Germany doesn't really contribute as much unless you count loans which the UK was supposed to pay for.

My question is what the heck happens to EU funding? Where are they going to find the money?
No the Germans pay the most, have housed the most refugees lately, and don't get any rebate like the UK.

What they gain is trade access to everywhere that they'd have everywhere anyway, and a privileged position in the ECB which they basically used to have anyway before the ECB.

The question of funding is important, I'm guessing the CDU-led push to keep Britain more or less in the EU under some special framework where we pay in what we did before the rebate (so it looks like a saving of £1xx million a week for brexiters) and have mostly the same rules is mostly because of that.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

unpacked robinhood posted:

My train station has had a "Syrian family" panhandling for months by yelling in arabic.
They haven't bothered learning a word of the local language, its hilarious.
UK meme chat would suggest they were speaking welsh.

Decebal posted:

Funny reading all the headlines like " EU leaders scramble for options" "EU ministers to hold EMERGENCY meetings !"

Were people that certain that the british will vote Remain ? The odds were 50/50, so how come nobody prepared at all ??
Yes. Boris was meant to be a gracious loser.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

hemophilia posted:

Letting a simple majority deicde your "leave the big deal thing" referendum is really dumb. Americans couldn't do anything aproxximating something of this magnitude without an overwhelming 2/3 majority
Yeah and your country is worse for it imo.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

hemale in pain posted:

so basically leaving the eu has no advantages but we're just a lot poorer
Luckily we're not even a lot poorer, the prophets of doom hosed up and the FTSE is still above the unsustainable heights of 6000 points.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Captain Gordon posted:

tl;dr version:

Good Friday Agreement is the reason people aren't murdering each other in Belfast anymore.
No it isn't.

All of the money, and all of the people with any talent left before the GFA was done. The GFA is a symptom of there being nothing at all to fight for any more. Furthermore, New Yorkers got a taste of what a terror attack actually means and stopped funding the IRA sharpish.

There will be no change to the UK/Ireland border. Neither is in the Schengen Zone already. The border has been mainly open since 1922 and there is no reason for it to change.

e: also as to the "you can't be an EU and non EU citizen at the same time" thing, of course you loving can, there are plenty of people with dual British-American or French-Algerian nationality for example.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 27, 2016

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

The_Franz posted:

Is this British law? There are no EU regulations which stop people from holding two passports from an EU and a non-EU country. Dual citizenship is regulated at the country level.
No he's just talking complete loving shite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Boner Slaem posted:

didnt scotland have oil or something?
It still does, although at the $50 a barrel new normal it's just barely worth extracting, at which point they have to run it through an American-owned refinery they prop up with Scottish tax money because they are too bitchmade to nationalise it in the face of his obvious lies about its profitability (and can't inside the EU, at least without paying whatever its current owner says it's worth).

• Locked thread