Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

BULBASAUR posted:

*supports america, destabilizes middle east*
*accidentally creates ISIS*

"how is it racist to block these brown refuges! we're just innocent white people!"

thats the stuff what made Leave win, you realize.

even the polish muslims don't want refugees to swarm Poland. so there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

Vengarr posted:

Realtalk, Cameron calling for this referendum is the greatest political fuckup of the 21st century so far, right?

I dunno. He could have won it, had it not been for Merkel. It was an unwise high stakes gamble either way.

My point being, as far as loving and the uppness of it are concerned, his has to contend with hers, and that's a close race.

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

Decebal posted:

Funny reading all the headlines like " EU leaders scramble for options" "EU ministers to hold EMERGENCY meetings !"

Were people that certain that the british will vote Remain ? The odds were 50/50, so how come nobody prepared at all ??

All part of the EU hubris that led to the referendum in the first place.

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014
"Now, before I talk about the economic implications of our country leaving the EU, let me just say that everyone who votes Leave is a racist nazi who should be shunned and exiled and fed to the dogs."

I wonder why people didn't continue listening to Remainers, after an opening like that.

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

khwarezm posted:

(notracist)

How dare you not want more islamic terrorism in your country. What a lack of solidarity, Brits.

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

khwarezm posted:

'I might hate the Muslims but at least I'm not ageist!'

even Saudi Arabia is not taking in refugees, with the stated reason being possible terrorists among them. do the Saudis hate muslims too?

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

khwarezm posted:

Criticism of Mass Migration that fixates on a particular ethnic group (whose immigration probably won't be that heavily effected by Brexit hilariously) and constantly stokes fear about how they are about to murder everyone around them kind of is a bit racist actually!

ISIS: Not about to murder everyone around them. Fair enough.

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

khwarezm posted:

Every inhabitant of Turkey, Albania and Bosnia are part of ISIS now.

He said, as Erdogan started to rub shoulders with Hamas just now.

Speaking of the other two, I don't see why you'd want potentially unlimited immigration from any country, muslim or not.
Seems like it'd be better to pick who you want to let in your country, instead of having an EU dictate it to you.

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

SciFiDownBeat posted:

it's perfectly okay and totally not a sign of immaturity or ignorance to be mad at middle eastern immigrants for attempting to seek refuge in the countries that caused the terrorists to rise to power in the first place

But they are not going to America.

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014
And a shitton of them are not even from the Middle-East, but rather parts of Africa that are suspiciously peaceful.

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

Elukka posted:

Wait what the hell, since when is the EU a leftist thing? The left in my experience tends to be fairly tepid about it because while they tend to be into international cooperation the EU tends to push a pretty neoliberal agenda. And the economic right tends to be much more strongly for it than the left. (Are people confused over the difference between the European and American meaning of 'liberal' or something?)

also lol that gbs is basically freep with half of this thread just being people yelling LIBERALS :argh: at some amorphous strawman liberal built up from the expressed opinions of disparate groups of people including loving tumblr

a lot of EU skepticism comes from people who prefer a nation state, a motherland, to a very impersonal, distant and poorly legitimized EU. To the left, one shred of patriotism already equals Maximum Hitler.

That, and the whole Internationalism of the left: "Workers* of the world, unite."

*People that yell this the loudest are not workers themselves.

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014
lol at people proving my point.

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

Dravs posted:

Just to cheer everyone up

nigel got exactly what he wanted, so burn? I guess?

seriously, he's been working towards this for over 20 years.

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

Its gonna own when britain easily exits the EU and all the near-default countries do the same because gently caress austerity

gonna end up being renamed the Franco-German Union

nah, Marine Le Pen wants to get out, too.

gonna be a union of one. a oneion, if you will.

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

hemophilia posted:

Brexit narrowly won a simple majority on a non binding vote. You don't have a mandate, stop pretending you do.

you'd say the opposite if remain had won

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

hemophilia posted:

Enacting change usually requires a real mandate whereas the status quo requires nothing. You want the brexit to happen so youre setting aside how loving insane it is to let half the country decide for the other half how it gets to proceed in the global economy. Had this been binding you can bet your rear end a supermajority wouldve been needed and for real the margin of your victory makes it utterly meaningless. Had 66% wanted to leave, that would be a real mandate and represent the will of the people. Instead you have a vicously marrow margin that merely points out how dovided your country is. Your elected betters can and should weasel out of this because doung something tjis monumentally stupid without a supermajority just means you're going to polarize and fracture your kingdom. Hope this helps retard

you are mad you lost. ha.

edit: "elected betters" you mean the dead pig fucker?

Velkest fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 2, 2016

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

hemophilia posted:

You can't even admit that a simple majority shouldn't be able to drag a nearly full half of the country that was in opposition to this into this situation that will affect everyone, and the children of everyone. You can't accept that because you only barely got an outcome you wanted. Do you know what a Pyrrhic victory is? If you get your way, that's what this is. If the UK left with a supermajority, united in their will to leave the EU, that would be different. Instead you're probably going to lose scotland, and North Ireland is going to move that way too. The emprie is dead and England isn't that useful scotland to the world without scotland's oil fields. A brexit would rear end-gently caress your finance sector, which employs basically everyone and pays off the pensions of the dying old people that voted for this.

so lol just lol I can't believe you're clinging to the idea that a 2% lead in a non binding vote is an ACTUAL mandate. If your government weasels out of this, and it should, and probably will, i just want you to understand why- And that's because 2% of the country doesn't get to dictate a decision of this magnitude.

spain's not gonna let scotland into the EU, cuz then Catalonia fucks off.
also not all of scotland voted remain, son.

but then i'm better than a dead pig fucker, and you are not.

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

a cyberpunk goose posted:

ah yes, the racist and knee jerk citizenry actually wanted to deal a blow to the upper class, that was their true goal all along

:newlol:

yes, actually. the poorer regions voted leave.

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

Stoatbringer posted:

Bye-bye to the billions received for redeveloping poorer regions.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36561084

Britain pays more money into the EU than it gets, just like France and Germany. That's british money in the first place.

now if you're arguing that being in the EU would force a Tory government to spend british tax money on its own people, fair enough. That shouldn't apply, theoretically, to a Labour government though. (But then again seems like most social democrat parties all over europe are all about that neoliberalism.)

btw i don't know that much about the finer points of british politics, as i am not from the uk.

Velkest fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 2, 2016

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

Young Freud posted:

Tell me again how the Leavers are going to use that £350 million a week that they were going to send to the EU to fund NHS. That's always a good joke.

It's your own fault if you believe Tories, I suppose.
Farage didn't pull poo poo like this, incidentally.

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014
"Man, Britain sure is poo poo", says the lefty. "Now Uganda, there's a country fit for every liberal!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uganda_Anti-Homosexuality_Act,_2014

Ooops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

Young Freud posted:

Brexit's never coming.

The Independent: Bookmakers have lost faith in Article 50 ever being triggered

tl;dr Article 50 would need to be triggered by 2017 to avoid facing a new and hostile EU parliament, but British politicians have their heads up their rear end at the moment and would likely not be able to get it together before that deadline.

As well, the British parliamentary elections are in 2020, which means that election could be used as a second referendum of sorts to derail the whole process.

when some of the bigger complaints about the EU are that it is both undemocratic and also an incompetent bureaucracy, to negate democratic decisions via bureaucratic means really isn't helping their case.

That brexit is coming, sooner or later.

• Locked thread