Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Hi goons. Here's a gardening thread. I started a garden at my new house this spring and it's growing stuff! Here's a picture from a couple of weeks ago after mulching and staking the maters.

I have herbs and fruits, because peppers and tomatoes are fruits. Also I planted a blackberry bush, but it's behind the roses. Also gently caress roses; they're mean. And gently caress the yard. What has grass ever done for me?

I'm learning to compost correctly this year, too (that's what that green cylinder thing is).

Edit: "Post yer zones" I'm in hardiness zone 6b, which is a recent update, according to http://www.stlmg.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/whatsnew.detail/recID/19/index.htm

Go here to get your zone http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/phzmweb/interactivemap.aspx

psychokitty fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

FrankieGoes posted:

My girlfriend and I fight over how much to water the garden. I loving hate her she's dumb.

Have you mulched? If not, you should mulch. Also get rid of her if she wants to water more.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

jBrereton posted:

Raise that bed a bit to deter slugs imo.

e: good effort though especially if it's your first real crack at gardening.

It's not my first attempt, but it's been several years since I've had my own plot.

This one is actually a few inches higher than the grass and level with the concrete pad. Haven't seen any slugs.

I haven't planted anything too intensive because I've had a serious cane grass problem that I've worked my rear end off eradicating all year (without poison) since we bought the house. Also there's a runoff issue around the right side as you look (where it's not freshly mulched) and I have a bunch of weeds and poo poo to deal with back there.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

ChrisHansen posted:

I am allowed two pots on my porch. One is full of flowers that reseeded from last year and the other has 2 big ol mater plants in it. I will be so pissed if the deer get to them

I hope your maters are determinate. Please tell what variety.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

ChrisHansen posted:

Do you have pests? In the suburbs groundhogs are assholes

Oh, as to this point. We are in the city proper. We have bunbuns and squirrels and possibly burrowing things, but none of them has seemed to wreak any havoc thus far. Something ate a few leaves of a bell pepper plant, but not really a big deal.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

mr_cramalldees posted:

I sure hope those herbs don't up and decide to go all America on your plot there. In my past experience most herbs decide "gently caress your plans, all of this space is mine" and then my whole house smells like mint.

Ah yes... the mint plant. It's in a separate plot on the other side of the yard. But let me assure you that I DID NOT PLANT IT. I would NEVER plant mint in a garden plot unless I wanted it to take over. When you garden, you have to know what stuff behaves and what doesn't. So now, I have to pretty much constantly patrol my yard for mint sproutlings because I didn't catch it before it flowered last year.

I purposely planted creeping thyme in the back so that it would creep and help with the runoff, etc. We'll see.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

jBrereton posted:

You thought about putting some wildflowers down in the lawn to attract bees and stuff?

One of those herbs is lavender. I've seen bees on it already a bunch. We also have milkweed growing on our fence, which the butterflies like.

Future plan is to keep bees and plant more lavender.

Also front yard plan is to have some native-scape involving wildflowers.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

ChickenHeart posted:

Hello, it's me, a deer.

*brings friends who devour everything, including the irritant plants and some plastic decorations*

*tramples the seed beds because why the gently caress not*

Yeah we don't have deer in St. Louis City.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

mr_cramalldees posted:

I had that experience with mint (it took over my entire back yard, yard mowing became a chore as the minty sensation became so strong it would reduce me to tears) and now I'm super gunshy.

Now I just put every herb in a pot.

Just do a little research first. Most herbs don't pull that poo poo, but anything mint-related will.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

King of Bees posted:

I have 144 lavender seedlings growing right now. Gonna redo the front beds with them.

HFS that's a lot of lavender!!!

JiveHonky posted:

i tried planting the old snake plant in my wife. she hated it and made me promise never to try it again

get new wife. check SAMart.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

www posted:

gardening is gay

im gay

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

ContraBoss posted:

Gardening is fun and good.

In addition to pretty flowers and fresh veggies, you can easily sow some regular organic poppy seeds normally used for baking, which grow into opium poppies.

The fruit of life comes in many forms...

I threw some poppy seeds into my yard once and grew some pods then dried them out.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

The Groper posted:

Behold my porch corn:

That's p cool. Never thought about porch corn before.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

King of Bees posted:

However you can eat the deer too and get your vegetables back that way.

That's a great strategy IMO.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

ManDingo posted:

Squirrels got after my tomatoes a few years back. Fuckers would pull a beefsteak off each day, take one bite, then leave it in the driveway to rot. Now I have a two stage fence with a DMZ.

I have a husband with guns. Considering fence too. We'll see what happens. Got some sweet San Marzanos coming in right now.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Glaucus atlanticus posted:

Get a tacca/batflower.

That is amazeballs.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Fat Jesus posted:

you grew lavender from seed?

Surprisingly, plants grow from seeds!!!

This fall I'll have about a hundred or so coriander seeds that will either become new cilantro plants or curry.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

XVIII posted:

Hello from UK zone 8b, her's the perennial border I made out of rubbish.

Has anyone had luck with milk as a powdery mildew remedy?

Also thinking of making a gravity fed irrigation system from a brewing bucket since the soil is so shallow.

That's beautiful but I'm having a hard time believing it's in the UK as the sun is shining :confused:

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

mr_cramalldees posted:

Are we just gonna ignore this gem?

I need pics/schematics. I'm an engineer. I don't understand words.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Fat Jesus posted:

water? does it have what plants crave? will Red Bull or Monster work good if one has no Brawndo?

Nope you have to use water. From the toilet.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

satanic splash-back posted:

don't water the leaves. just water the soil. watering the leaves on a hot and/or sunny day will burn many plants.

this is why watering in the morning/evening is best.

This is the truth and why I only water at midnight. Leaf are fragile and precious.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

This is a PSA:
Do not plant invasive species in your yard. This includes but is not limited to Japanese bush honeysuckle. Not only will you not be able to control the plant itself, but rear end in a top hat birbs will eat the fruit and spread that poo poo everywhere. This is why there's a continuing program to combat invasive honeysuckle all over the midwest. Keep it in your pot.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Wendigee posted:

after googling I've determined that I have native honeysuckle because there is no fruit. so thanks for the invasive poo poo but thats not part of this.

The More You Know

Safe gardening, friend.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I'm planting this really cool vine in the southern US, it's called 'kudzu' and it's just really pretty

Ooh you can make kudzu jelly.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Check out all this flatleaf parsley

Idfk what happened but I went out of town for a week and poo poo was out of control

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

mr_cramalldees posted:

That wouldn't happen if you put all of your herbs in pots.

It's all good now that it's pruned. I just didn't think I'd get so much freaking parsley.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

The Pony Incident posted:

OP your yard looks really familiar to me ????? like it looks exactly like one of my childhood friends yards i think and it's actually freaking me out

It's in st louis if that helps

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Wendigee posted:

I tried to find like a giant pot or a pot trough like thing i could fill with trellis and honeysuckle but spoiler alert, searching for giant pot or even just pot doesn't work for gardening legal things.

You could try a strawberry pot.

Or if you're certain it's a safe type you could put it in the yard. Maybe take a cutting to a nursery and have them take a look.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Isaac posted:

I got a broccolini in a pot and its been eaten by cows, ripped out of its pot. It just keeps getting owned. Its alive but i dont thi k ill be getting any broccolini

COWS??? That's udderly ridiculous.

Zeno-25 posted:

I used to have a big veggie garden but now I just grow a whole lotta weed

Miss my heirloom 'maters, though. And my old roomie's sweet little dog.

nice doge :downs:

FrankieGoes posted:

Everything in my garden is doing well except I think the jalapenos are getting too much water, but still have a couple fruits on each so idc, they just need to power through.

v fancy mater cages. I thought about doing those but I went "meh" I like sticks.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Lt. Tanaka posted:

Im in zone 9a and know a bit about Florida gardening, coastal gardening and houseplants so ask me some questions!

My yard is an overgrown jungle where only the strongest survive:

do you have nanners?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

This little red san marzano is hiding

then I found this big purple cherokee fucker hiding

guess what I used to tie off my vines. GUESS come on GUESS!!!

ripped up retired zebra-stripe undies

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Ryoshi posted:

The previous owners of my house left a big dirt patch on the lawn where they used to have a lovely above ground pool. My fiancé and I have a hell of a nice garden going in it with peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, beans, peas, lettuce, carrots, cucumbers and zucchini. Gardening owns.

E: rabbits should be exterminated off the face of the planet.

that sounds like quite the garden!!! have you eaten your zucchini blossoms yet?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Foreskin Problems posted:

How/Should I repot a cactus? I want my boys to grow as big as they want :kimchi:

Very carefully. Yes get yourself some potting soil and bigger pots and go nuts. You want to be gentle with the roots but plants can take a fair amount of abuse. Typically just tipping over your existing pot into your hand will take care of the removal but sometimes you need a trowel. There may be some transplant shock, but they'll get over it.

Put soil into the bottom of the new pot and then place the uprooted plant in the pot to see where it'll land once it's repotted. Then adjust so that the plant-root meeting point will be level with the lower rim of the pot and then fill in with more soil. Press a little around the roots but not too much and add a bit more soil for stability, especially if they are small plants. Give it a little water and you're done.

psychokitty fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 24, 2016

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

naem I think you have a Squirralalo Bill on your hands

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Zeluth posted:

Besides fruit, it is nice to see something grow.

wat dis?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

tawal posted:

Gardening is rad and good. I'm in zone 7b (Arkansas), growing lots of tomatoes, okra, squash, cucumbers, banana peppers. All of my bell peppers drowned this year :rip: but everything else is doing great!!

This is only my second year gardening, so I'm learning a lot as I go, but lesson definitely learned with the okra getting so tall last year that everything around it was hells of sun-deprived, and learning to run the cucumbers a lot better.

I love learning the lessons with gardening. This year I learned about the cilantro/coriander process. And also about the monster parsley JFC.

You gonna pickle that okra? I don't really care for okra. It's ok fried, though.

Yesterday, my husband came home from work with 2 pepper plants. One seems to be jalapeno and the other looks like banana pepper? Gotta find a place for them in the plot now.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

tawal posted:

Some will be pickled, the rest will get fried, roasted or stewed for tomatoes and okra.

according to my mama, that's pronounced, "okra 'n namatas"

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

12gaugelobotomy posted:

I love my garden! Its always full of surprises.

This year i decided to insert some manure and sand to help with my concrete hard clay that was the year before. 1 yard of sand and 2 yards of composted chicken poo poo busted out the roto tiller and gave 'er tits. it stank like hell but now i got super soft easy to work with highly nutritious soil.

It was glorious the rhubarb loved it and the rest of the veggies i planted took to it like weeds.

But it seems that i did not clean up last year very well at all and i now have a cherry tomato infestation. I estimate that i have over 300 tomato plants currently growing and choking out all other life.

But very few actual weeds
Anyone want some tomaters?

FFS I didn't realise cherry tomatoes would pull that kind of poo poo.

Nice soil work there. I got super lucky with mine, as I live in a clay area too, but the soil in my plot is very healthy (plus tons of big fat juicy worms mmmmm).

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Woden posted:

I live in 10a.

A few times a year I plant some seeds or seedlings hoping I'll get cheap and awesome veges but they mostly just die when I let nature takes its course.

Winners so far are chillies, saw tooth coriander, lemon grass, rosemary, citrus, pineapple, chives/spring onion, capscium and the watercress which I actually bother to water.

Failures include normal coriander which always dies or goes to seed before it gets going, mulberry/mango/guava trees which get their fruit destroyed by animals before they're even ripe, basil and sage which for some reason turned into the local cat shithouse. :rip:

* Kaffir lime is on life support, planted in clay and bugs are smashing it. If it dies it dies.

Only recommendation I have is you really need to grab some of those prime fence spots early, no one wants to "steal" your fruit and it's prime real estate for certain plants. I moved in mid way through the expansion stage and didn't notice the war, so there's poo poo from before I moved in that I have no idea if the neighbours like or not, newer poo poo that I just have to accept and no room for me to get in on the action without delicately asking.

Dudebro if I could grow citrus and pineapples I would be dancing all day and all night. Have you tried bananas?

As far as veggies... considering stuff that people in hot climates eat... but like it's mostly fruit hahahah

Where do you live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Woden posted:

East coast and in the pink:

Bananas are cheap as gently caress so never even thought of growing them, if the bats/possums/etc. wont eat them that could be a winner though, hmmm.

AHAHAHA IN THE PINK

sorry

Didn't consider Australia. Bats do like bananas, or so I hear.

The thing about coriander/cilantro is you let it go to seed, then the seeds are supposed to drop and make new plants. I would think they would do well in a hot climate since all those Thai and Viet ppl are eating it???

I wonder if like Chinese longbeans or other types of legumes might work. Also some variety of corn should work there I mean poo poo corn should grow anywhere thanks to its genetic mutability.

• Locked thread