Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Lessail posted:

Ah ok so I can disregard your posts. Thanks.

His avatar is also a pretty good indicator of that I'd have thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Schremp Howard posted:

I like how they cited imbalance in conferences as a reason to not expand to Quebec when they purposefully did it that way so they could expand in the west.

I'd say it's got more to do with leaving a guaranteed parachute option open, so that if Arizona or Carolina want better deals they can go "well, we'd like to stay here, but Quebec has this shiny new arena and will offer me <way too much money> and you guys are being obstinate."

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Schremp Howard posted:

It would be such a great gently caress you to Quebec if Arizona moves there and has to play in the Pacific for a year or two. I wonder if the league really thought someone like Seattle would have gotten it together and they would implement two teams together to balance the conferences. And if Seattle never works out I can't wait to watch another round of realignment.

If the NHLPA adds Expansion fees to "Hockey Related Revenues" during the next CBA, I could easily see some of the fringe markets re-enter the process because I don't see the Expansion fee staying at 500m.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

If there was any other team, I would be going hard into that bandwagon. There isn't, and I'm not a fan of LV so I probably won't.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Sash! posted:

Their colors would have to be garish camo.

I disagree.
Colours should be solid like a mid-80s Adidas tracksuit.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

You just know if the team is called the "Desert Knights" that there's gonna be an event called "Nights in the Desert with the Desert Knights" or something along those lines.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

I vote we move them to Barrow, Alaska personally.

I vote we move them to Boston's natural antipode.
Somewhere off the southwest coast of Australia.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Dale Ouise posted:

Alexei Emelin :pray:

we both know he's getting protected.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Dale Ouise posted:

Habs will lose one of Hudon, Andrighetto or Beaulieu when they opt to protect Emelin, Desharnais, and Shaw instead.

I think the Habs will protect Emelin, Beaulieu and Shaw.
Bergevin tried to trade Desharnais and couldn't find a partner, so I don't think they're that eager to protect the tiny man.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Subban's not very good so I don't think he's anywhere near the top of Vegas' list.

They'll go for a younger goalie and the most reliable older goalie they can find.
So someone like a Subban and someone like a MAF.

I don't think Boston is going to protect Subban, and he might be the best young goalie available unless they want to roll the dice and see what's coming out of the NCAA.

There's a decent chance they end up with a Condon.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Schremp Howard posted:

As someone who pays as no attention to the NBA as possible, how likely are they to get a team back in Seattle? Do they have any move candidates or would they get an expansion team? I know the Oklahoma City move was full of bullshit, but if you have someone who wants to build an arena for hockey/basketball at no expense to the city, shouldn't the league be all over it?

The NHL is desperate to move into Seattle and the prospect of Seattle being able to do NHL in the next 10 years (with a healthy dose of Canada's economic crisis to boot) probably killed Quebec's chance of getting an expansion franchise (they're going to be the new "BUILD ME A NEW ARENA/WRITE OFF MY TAXES OR I'M SELLING THIS TEAM AND RELOCATING TO WINNIPEG DAMMIT").

Seattle is a large TV market in an area with a history in Hockey (albeit one so far away Vancouver has won a Stanley Cup in the same timeframe; they were the first US team to take the Stanley Cup which happened in 1917 to give you some idea of how far back we're talking).

It might not be the most sound idea the NHL has ever had - Seattle already has a (decent) team in the NFL, a (poo poo, but probably popular) team in the MLB and the only reason an arena gets built is because the city is so desperate to bring in an NBA team. Which suggests that the market could easily get very saturated with sports.
Having said that Portland is a lovely idea for a whole whacktonne of reasons, nowhere else west of Detroit is a realistic option for expansion with only "put a second team in Montreal/Toronto" (all of which have colossal issues inherent to them) and "Lets recreate the Nordiques and go through 'Good Friday Massacre Pt2: we promise this is better than Anchorman 2'" as serious bids for teams at the moment.

So for a quick recap (I'm probably missing a whole bunch, so feel free to correct me):

Teams that Might be Relocating: 2

Carolina
Carolina has an owner who wants to sell, in a market which isn't *that* great for hockey when the team is dogshit. Speaking of, you'll never guess what the team is right now. THAT'S RIGHT! DOGSHIT!
If they continue to be dogshit for a few years they might be a real chance to get moved, but right now there's been enough recent success and there's enough promise in the roster that they'll magically find a way to stay in Raleigh. They're a good year to two years away from there being actual talk of them moving.

Phoenix Arizona
Arizona has a bunch of major issues regarding future arena tenancy. Their current arena is in the wrong spot and the owners of the arena want to make sure they get their pound of flesh before the Coyotes move somewhere else.
Having said that, their team is young and promising, there's an Arizona born superstar in Toronto (who I'm sure will find his way down to be the hometown hero at some point) and as far as I'm aware their ownership has been stable, quiet and... good for at least the last 2-3 years.
If they can't bullshit their way into a new arena deal within the next two years, and if the team flatlines from the "aww, they're so cute!" stage to the "aren't they supposed to be winning stanley cups by now?" stage then they'll be moving on. They're potentially further away from there being real talk of relocation, simply because their owner hasn't actively discussed selling the team.

Teams that won't relocate, but might end up playing away from home for a bit:

New York Islanders
They're not leaving New York long term. They might move to Hartford for a yea- ahahahahahaha no. They'll stay in New York because the NHL needs to have two teams in New York.

Teams that Aren't Going Anywhere Anytime Soon Bucko:

Florida
They're good, they've got very good young players and the attendance isn't literally league worst right now. Also their Drumpf-loving owner seems pretty happy with everything as it is.

Columbus
If you're silly enough to go online and look up "NHL relocations" you'll end up with a bunch of slideshows, most of which mention the Blue Jackets at some point.
They were terrible for a whole bunch of years, and while it remains to be seen how much of this year is fluke and how much is real, for now all you need to know is they aren't moving. They've got some insanely good deals tying them to the city for *time*.

Expansion Slots left: 1.
Teams that are being made: Las Vegas Creators Wet Dreams

Cities that want a team:
There's a bunch of these, and I'm a snarky rear end in a top hat so...

Kansas City, Hamilton, Saskatoon, "Greater Toronto", "Montreal Anglophone"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IiHRSBAMwU
(On a serious note, Kansas has never actually proven it wants a pro-Hockey team, Saskatoon is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too small, and the rest (Hamilton, Greater Toronto, anything to do with Montreal) will get torn to shreds paying territorial fees to existing franchises in their area - there was a rumour (probably an untrue one) going around that the Greater Toronto idea was popped by Toronto basically requesting an additional 100-500million for them to not veto it out of spite. It sounds silly, but this is the same franchise that made a WHA team playing in the Maple Leaf Gardens bring their own bench cushions and make their own dressing rooms.

Quebec City
Has an (18,000 seat, not sure where everyone came up with the "lol doesn't it only seat 13k?!?" figure from) arena ready to go. Has a rich, probably Drumpf supporting, pretty racist white owner ready to go. Has a rabid fanbase ready to go.
Is also a very small market, that speaks French for much the same reasons as the French ("foutre rosbif, nous parlons français ici") and which will likely struggle long term once "that new team smell" wears off.
Will likely be relocation bait until some small market US team eats the dust. Will then set a record for fastest sellout of season tickets.

Seattle
Doesn't have an arena because the City Council is absolutely moronic.
Everything else is going it's way. It will almost certainly end up with the second expansion slot of the options around.

TL;DR
Seattle is going to get a new team if it can pull its head out of its arse.
Quebec is going to be relocation bait from now until one of the sun-belt teams dies.
The Hurricanes and Coyotes are the only realistic "they might move" teams in the league, and even then it's far from "Coyotes 2 years ago!" or "Coyotes 5 years ago!" or "Coyotes and Thrashers 7 years ago!" (I knew the streak would end eventually).
The league is actually in a really strong spot right now. Buffalo and Edmonton - who prominently featured in "they're gonna get moved!" speculation towards 2011 - have got really good solid ownership in place and at least look like not being hot garbage for the next 5 years.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 10, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

Very.

Maybe Montreal could go back to being the anglo team and stop fretting as much about French.

Probably not. Even watching Habs streams, you get a bunch of people screaming "WE WANT RDS/TVA!". Montreal has aggressively gone after that market since the Nordiques left town, apparently failing to recognise that a very large faction of Quebecers swear a blood oath to never follow Montreal - a faction that still refuses to follow Montreal to this day, twenty-odd years later.

hifi posted:

The coyotes' ownership hasn't been great but there's not a lot they can do. They've worked outside of the box on the ASU arena deal which supposedly failed because ASU would rather have some other benefit from the state than a new arena, and they've been dedicated so far to staying in the phoenix metro area. Their salary is still down but they also haven't forced any stupid deals to make it to the playoffs by a shoestring. Fans are bitching about the tippett promotion because of the short term but they're still a young team all around and anyone else probably wasn't going to do any better.

The glendale star reports are looking more and more like a hit piece, apparently nobody from the coyotes was on the list of tours for the seattle arena, and the recent tidbit is that there's only one female spokeswoman for the arena and this anonymous source the paper is quoting is a male. The last one is a little tenuous but nobody in phoenix seems to think it's legit and nobody in seattle seems to think it's legit, and the owners deny it, so there's not really a reason to think it's happening, at least until they actually exhaust their options in phoenix.

I personally highly doubt Phoenix will relocate to Seattle. Seattle will get an expansion team, Quebec will be the bait for relocation.
If it happens at the same time, Seattle will take Arizona's spot in the Pacific, Quebec will move into the Atlantic and Columbus or Detroit (if it's Columbus, Detroit moves into the Metro - but it will be Detroit because *history*) will move into the Central which solves the imbalanced divisions thing.

But as I put in an effortpost on the other page, there's not going to be any real talk of relocation for at least another year, probably two or three unless the Coyotes ownership really start to panic/Glendale takes them to the absolute cleaners. So 2-4 years away from any serious relocation efforts.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 10, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Kilza posted:

despite what PAS might say.

If Murray gets expansion'ed I imagine what PAS might say would be "FIRE RUTHERFORD"

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Stretch Marx posted:

Toronto is going to be stuck with Bozak, Polak, and Hunwick forever. :(

Unless the Leafs extend Polak and Hunwick, they come off the books at the end of the year.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Krime posted:

:lol:

There it is again... Murray getting picked in the expansion draft.

:laffo:

Never gonna happen. They will buy MAF out and eat the cap hit before they let Murray get drafted.

Buying him out is a waste of resources. (EDIT: It's not *as bad* as I thought it'd be. At 1.9m/year for the next 4 seasons if bought out after this season, it's not good especially if the salary cap barely rises)
The closer the expansion draft gets, the worse you're going to get fleeced when you give up MAF. If you're a GM, and you see that situation you're going "I'll have one MAF, two decent prospects and some retained salary in exchange for this <insert massive cap hit here>". Ideally, he'd be gone by now and I don't get why I keep reading "OH BUT GOALTENDING IS A PITTSBURGH STRENGTH!" 'cos in the offseason it's going to be a massive weakness.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 23, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The talk about streetcars was interesting. For record, here's the variant of that where I live.

Trams/Streetcars are great at a similar job to busses. Larger-capacity light rail or just a standard metro rail setup is better at moving large numbers of people in a shorter time, but I am enjoying all the "gently caress IT LETS BUILD TRAMS" things that are going on right now.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I hope Hamilton gets the team if that happens, just for the drama

If Quebec didn't get a team because "it's a market with no discernible value to the NHL", Hamilton isn't going to get it either.

Bettman is desperate for Kansas, Houston and Seattle.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah, I said it in the other thread but the NFL and the NHL don't really directly compete for viewers/attendees. NFL games are once a week, usually during the day, and NHL games vary. It'd be a different story if Vegas was getting a MLB or NBA team, but I think the Raiders and the Knights should be able to coexist pretty easily.

Business support will heavily lean towards the Raiders unless the Goights can somehow become more competitive more quickly than the Raiders.
Business support is far more critical to a teams long term viability.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd forgotten about the legendarily poo poo Caps team. Still, I feel like the best candidates for expansion are Hamilton, Seattle, Quebec City, Milwaukee (Wisconsin loving loves hockey, as much as Minnesota does I'd say), and this might seem odd, but Omaha. Population of close to 500,000, and their NCAA team is one of the best attended teams in the NCAA.

I seriously doubt the "I don't want to expand to a place that is already a rabid hockey fanbase" feeling is confined to Bettman.
And in a business sense, he's not wrong. There's more value in expanding your brand somewhere people don't know your name.

The best Candidate for expansion is Seattle (the NHL is desperate for Seattle regardless of how unlikely it looks right now), followed by Quebec (because it actually has a full NHL ready stadium and a fanbase that doesn't really support anyone right now) and then Hamilton/GTA (which comes with strings the size of Mars attached - Toronto, Buffalo and also potentially Ottawa would all want their large cash handout for letting that team exist).

KC has a stadium ready to go, but there's no ownership willing to take on the cost and no-one seems to care. Houston seems like a seriously long shot, but a second Texas team would rifle up a bit of rivalry which is always handy. Milwaukee could have a team if they wanted one, but from what I've heard Hockey is mostly a Minnesota thing that UW-M does too.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

fits posted:

they can capture that key sudbury-thunder bay market

I know what this comes from, and it elicits a very hearty chuckle.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Mike_V posted:

Wasn't he supposed to be like the big international FA this summer? Kind of funny that Vegas just swooped in and undercut all of that.

Yeah, a lot of Montreal writers have been talking up the Habs chance of getting him, but that was never really gonna happen.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Teemu Pokemon posted:

The fact that the Islanders didn't get Bridgeport to move to the Coliseum is fuckin stupidity of the highest order

I'd imagine the Islanders didn't want to buy out of whatever contract that has them playing in Bridgeport. Sidebar: what the gently caress is a sound tiger?

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Do the people who own the Whalers* brand really think the NHL is coming back and they want to hold on to that poo poo just in case? I don't claim to know how it would work, but I can't imagine it would be too hard to make that change and I'm sure it would jazz up a ton of people.

Hartford is pushing real hard to be the interim home of the Islanders should they decide to get the gently caress out of Brooklyn and move to an un-built stadium. Considering how Nassau isn't big enough for the NHL any more and the other realistic option is sharing MSG for a couple years, they might have a legit shot at it.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Seattle thing is gonna be garbo, but we already knew it was going to be garbo so there's no real surprise there.

I'm just surprised someone found someone willing to pay to make the Key Arena vaguely serviceable.
The NHL is desperate to be in Seattle so they'll jump at the chance to put a new expansion there; if the deal gets signed off on soon they'll probably move to sell the license before the next lockout CBA negotiation goes into effect.

I'm still super curious as to what that will mean for Carolina, since Karmanos apparently wants out and no-one in Carolina wants to foot the bill.

Say it with me now people:
Calgary. Is. Going. To. Cave. And. Give. The. Flames. What. They. Want.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Duke Chin posted:

[In Sean Connery's voice:] Kahbeck lovely

I think Bettman has his sights on "anywhere but Quebec". He'd probably try to lean on Toronto and Buffalo to lower the "welcome to Ontario" tax before he'd let Quebec have a team again.

Stiev Awt posted:

Naheed Nenshi and city council have been steadfast for the last two years. Why would they cave now?

'cos they're hosed if they let the team leave. They're playing chicken to see who's going to cave first.
The instant Flames ownership starts actively looking at other options in the sense of actually talking to people outside Calgary and visiting other cities Calgary will cave.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 8, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Troy Queef posted:

is Bettman's hatred of Quebec strictly because they're tiny? they have a huge money guy in PKP, Winnipeg has shown that it can work in mid-sized Canadian markets, plus isn't there a poster here who has stories of how his family would get into proper fights because of the Habs-Nords rivalry?

1) it's a tiny market (I think Quebec itself is larger than Winnipeg, but the potential fanbase is smaller)
2) it straight up doesn't have the potential growth that a Seattle or a Las Vegas has
3) it is 100% francophone
4) it is unlikely to pull in large national or multinational company sponsor money and will always be rooted to the bottom of the midpack without significant owner expenditure
5) it's unlikely to help Bettman's legacy of growth for the NHL in any way and will be a tacit admission that at least one of the southern expansion strategy teams failed.

Outside of Lindros - who has maintained the reason he didn't want to go was because he wanted to go to college/university and didn't think he could do that in a monolingual French city (he's lying, it's because his dad felt he could make more ad money in a city like Toronto or New York) - Quebec hasn't had a long history of driving players or coaches away, and strangely never had the Habs rule of Francophone coaches and captains.
The NHLPA would infinitely prefer having a team like Quebec in the league because it will be super stable and will also have better turnover than teams like Arizona, Florida and Carolina for the first decade of it's existence which in turn will increase their slice of the pie. How it'll go after that first decade is strongly up for debate.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 9, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Duck Rodgers posted:

Pretty sure being a couple hundred tickets short of a sell out isn't going to run the jets out of town

It's not a great trend, but yeah.
The salary cap, an owner with actual money and a city that remembers not having a pro-sports team anyone else cares about is going to go a long way.

Winnipeg is probably the absolute limit of where you can put a team though, and that's what's probably part of what's stopping Quebec City from getting a team (QC would be right on the border line with the Habs, the Francophone stuff and the Habs).

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Aren't all tickets in Winnipeg season tickets?
In which case wouldn't all of them have been paid for well in advance?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

a false posted:

i didn't realize attendance was that dire for carolina. drat

And now you see why Karmanos can't find a buyer willing to keep the Canes in Carolina despite removing the demand that he get to keep control.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I'm fully expecting Benning to make a deal trading away his first in exchange for Vegas taking no-one, and for the Draft interview with GMGM to go something along the lines of:
"Well I'm really glad he offered that, we really didn't want to take anyone from Vancouver and he gave us the perfect out".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Starsfan posted:

There's a lot of speculation that Vegas selected Marc Methot for the Dallas Stars.

We shall see I guess. Not too high on Methot, but Jim Nill loves his veterans on defense.

There's also speculation Vegas took Emelin and Sbisa due to there apparently being a market for them? I mean, Anaheim can only field so many defenseman.

• Locked thread