Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

AsInHowe posted:

Please take Kenny Holland

Sorry, Mike Illitch gave him a NMC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Zodijackylite posted:

Are you forgetting that Manny Legace is a Stanley Cup Champion?

And an NHL All Star!

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I wish they meant Tyler.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Wait, what is this The Creator thing?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

The Las Vegas Rainbow Sixes

Las Vegas King Tom Clancy Stats

I made wordplays guys.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I'm not really sure why Franzen's name comes up whenever there's the cap-trade discussions. He's not affecting their cap and Illitch isn't strapped for cash, so Detroit doesn't have any major incentive to ship him off with an asset.

Now Jimmy Howard... that's a man who would look good in a Las Vegas Team Name uniform.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

AsInHowe posted:

The Joe also has a horrendous DJ and game presentation team. Cheesy, outdated stuff.

Mickey Redmond is a big fan so you know it's dire.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Las Vegas Stingers and it's a scorpion shooting a missile and the jerseys are camouflage.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Literally the only thing I expected of this franchise was a gaudy as gently caress arena and gaudy as gently caress amenities.

All hail Cre-A-Tor.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

So can we contract Las Vegas yet or do we have to wait for them to play a game first

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

quote:

The story also noted that Foley decided the ‘Las’ in Las Vegas wouldn’t be included in the name because, “In talking to locals, everyone seems to call it ‘Vegas.”

Said Foley, “I also thought ‘Las Vegas Golden Knights’ was too long.”

Funny.

quote:

According to ESPN.com, the final versions of both the logos and the jerseys weren’t decided until 2 ½ weeks ago. The story said Foley needed the NHL to sign off on the name. He also required approval from Clarkson College and the University of Central Florida, which are both nicknamed the Golden Knights. Overall the NHL seemed happy with both the logo and name.

Also funny.

quote:

Foley settled on the name late summer, but took his time to try to figure out the perfect logo and color scheme for the organization.

quote:

Thumbing through a book that displays the jersey color schemes for home and away, Foley pointed out the changes that had been undertaken even since September, including a band of red on both the jerseys and socks that was initially white. That was the brainchild of McPhee.

"George McPhee colored it in and said, 'What do you think about that?'" Foley said. "And it looked perfect. It makes the gray look more powerful."

So funny.

Contract VGK.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

pizza valentine posted:

I'm not sure what's funny about the first part. He's right in that everyone just says Vegas.

The fact that he thought the name was too long but didn't hesitate for a second about trimming "golden knights."

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Vegas Gilded Knights

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

The location is certainly garbage but I don't know that this is necessarily the slam dunk data to prove it. For example, while Detroit might be an aberration, the vast majority of its ticket holders live 15+ miles away from the arena.

It's a combination of location + transit routes, not necessarily just the surrounding population. But a cool supporting argument nonetheless. The data they collected is great.

Using 1-2 mile radii doesn't make a whole lot of sense for most of these cities, too. When you center it around 10 miles, Arizona is right in the middle of the pack. I bet way more fans make 10 mile commutes in other cities than this argument presupposes.

edit: alternatively I'm an idiot and the population total confirms that it's not only a bad location to get to, it's also not by anything that would entice people to come or stay outside of a hockey game. carry on.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 1, 2017

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

I'm not even joking as of today they (AEG & OAG) are literally touting the loving Monorail as a viable transit option which would instantly make it a double transfer for everyone getting to/from games in a place that has historically had garbage traffic and public transpo.

For those that have never been to Seattle: The monorail was built for the 1962 World's Fair and only - goes - one - mile

poo poo, even Detroit's [useless] monorail is 3 miles (coincidentally also the length of our new [useless] streetcar).

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Kinda hoping somebody does something monumentally stupid and accidentally leaves a key guy off of the protect list. Also if Calgary leaves for a U.S. city I'm finding a new team.

The Atlanta Flames has a nice ring to it

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Aye Doc posted:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/876098726292488193

this god drat team is really gonna protect 4 d huh. have fun in vegas jon

I assume they'd trade him before exposing him. Still dumb, but not the dumbest possible option.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

That list is about what we expected. Mrazek is a surprise but boy did they sour on him this year, so I'm not totally shocked that they'd make this decision. Howard had a rebound year but he's also injured every loving season.

Dumb. Especially if they just lose Mrazek for nothing when there are a bunch of teams looking to shore up their goaltending.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Teemu Pokemon posted:

lol ken holland protected nick loving jensen who even cares anymore

It's more of a pathetic reminder of Detroit's defense that the only case for not protecting Jensen is Xavier Ouellet, who is ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Teemu Pokemon posted:

It just reinforces the fact that they lost Marchenko for nothing, traded for McIlrath rather than more picks, and that Holland clearly didn't loving learn from Brian Lashoff. He mid-season extended and protected a future full-time Griffin because he's literally loving retarded

None of these dudes are worth anything. After Green and DeKeyser, the third pick means nothing. Detroit's defense is wretched.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

T-Bone posted:

I was trying to come up with the most competitive team possible ignoring everything else and I stopped halfway through Vegas is going to be real bad

Although I think I'd take their D options over the Devils.

If you took the best 6 defensemen and ignored that some might be protected via trade, the goldaknights would have a better defense (and goaltending, probably) than a bunch of teams.

Too bad the forwards suck.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

The idea that Foo is down to Detroit or Vegas is hilarious to me for some reason.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Stiev Awt posted:

the expansion draft is fuckin awesome

agreed

We should contract a team every even year and add an expansion every odd year.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I'll throw out my first suggestions:

contract the Detroit Dead Wings in 2018

then expand to Detroit in 2019 because I hear that's a city with a dedicated hockey fanbase, and they're almost finished with a new arena that can host hockey games

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I wonder what Holland gave up to protect his more expensive trash.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

McPhee really fleeced the state of Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

While some of the trades seem dumb, the strategy of going after all those defensemen will pay off. Practically every single one of those dudes is going to fetch a lopsided value when a pack of GMs inevitably make poor decisions to shore up their defense.

• Locked thread