Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Haven't got an invite from MFL yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Veritek83 posted:

I just tried my email with each franchise until it worked, like with the last league. I get the feeling there's a better way, but I don't know what it is.

Yeah that worked for me last time but I just tried it with all unclaimed franchises and no dice, so I don't think I've actually been given one yet.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ah I was able to get in. Also I did not wait for other people to get in first, because gently caress those other people, this is all about me and my draft.

I am now trying to remember how to get audacity to clip a piece of an MP3. God this software is unintuitive.

e. oh you have to not be paused. You click stop and then you can cut the clip you selected. OK. Also oh yeah you gotta install a separate LAME encoder for some goddamn reason.

Slow & Low is ready to roll.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 24, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

1.2 Odell Beckham, Jr.
I could have taken Julio but in best ball I'd rather have the guy who is most likely to put up a 30 point game on any given sunday than the guy who is likely to average slightly more points across the season. Also I think Matt Ryan continues to regress this year.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Man, it's a slow draft, you get 12 hours. It's fine. :)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dangit I didn't think Lamar Miller was gonna fall to me, but... well, vainly hoping?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Charles should have gone in the first round and you got a bargain.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

2.11 Mark Ingram
I was waffling about taking an RB here, and waffling about which one of those left. But I decided not to go with my gut and instead went with FantasyPros, who tell me Ingram is the best RB still on the board. His injury last season was a shoulder injury, so not something of huge concern (like a knee, say). The saints are not a great team but they do tend to run up the scoreboard, so I anticipate a few big weeks for Ingram. We'll see. I'm not getting any of the guys I was really hoping would drop to me here, like Freeman or Miller, so :shrug:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

3.2 Doug Baldwin
I thought about some of the other top prospects. But I don't have confidence in Denver's new QB situation, some of the others are coming off injuries, and of the top NFL offenses with WR1s still on the board, I feel like Seattle has to be taken into account. Wilson showed last season that he can pass and should be shifting more to a passing game this year, and Baldwin is the undisputed #1 target for him. In the early third round I still want a solid, safe pick like Baldwin.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

4.11 Jonathan Stewart
5.2 Frank Gore

Well, oops. I didn't exactly mean to grab two RBs in a row here... I set up some autopicks and then you guys Cam, Maclin, and Edelman all in a row.

But that's OK, really, because I'm now pretty nicely situated for RBs! J. Stew and Gore add to my previous Mark Ingram pick, all with different bye weeks. No doubt I'll need to grab a little depth later. Stewart is set up on a high-powered offense and he's going to eat. And despite his age, Gore is in great shape as the bellcow in Indi, behind a really great new center, and it's not like Robert Turbin or Jordan Todman are going to suddenly become serious competition for carries. Plus he had a nice bonus of a couple catches a game last season, and that's with Luck struggling.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

6.11 Michael Crabtree
I was a Crabs fan when he played for SF, and I'm still a crabs fan with him in Oakland. People seem to be pretty positive about Carr's developing passing game; the team has some good options on running plays, which should take a little pressure off of the wideouts; and Amari Cooper should force cover to pick between focusing on him or Crabs. All of this adds up to a good show for a proven reliable WR. FantasyPros agrees with me and has Crabtree as among the next two or three undrafted WRs in our league. I'm happy to get him at the end of the 6th round.

7.2 Carson Palmer
I wasn't necessarily going to take a QB here, but I think for the seventh round this is a huge value. I see Palmer as a superbowl-quality passer, on a team prepped and ready to make another deep run into the playoffs. He's got tons of good weapons, too... as attested by the last few posts in this thread, praising Floyd, Brown, and Bruce Arians' coaching. Not to mention the team's tendency to rely heavily on a passing game that features both high-volume shallow routes and deep bombs. So I'm OK with grabbing my QB1 here, and honestly a little surprised Palmer is still available. Too many goons are sold on the draft-a-few-decent-QBs-late method, which works best when someone else is blowing early round picks - but in this league, this is the seventh QB off the list at the opening of the 7th round. There's gonna be a rush on QBs through rounds 7 and 8 and I don't want to be picking through mediocre guys at my next spot, 8.11.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's funny but the only reason I put Palmer into my list above Brees was because I already have Brees in the other slow draft league. It turned out you grabbed him before me so my decision was made anyway. But it's a great pick and I think Brees/Palmer at the top of the 7th is a couple of bargains for both of us.

I also really like Langford but I already loaded up on RBs.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also the reason 49ers QBs don't throw deep is there's never time. In the last two years their OL has been so porous the QBs have no choice but to fire a quick pass or get sacked on pretty much every passing play. Last year at least Kaep learned to throw it out of bounds rather than force it into a covered man, but he was more than capable of deep balls in 2012-13.

He was sacked 52 times in 16 games in 2014. Last year his play was completely explainable by that one stat. He played like a man with PTSD. His sack percentage still went up: 9.8% of passing plays in 2014, 10.3% in 2015.
Check his advanced passing stats on this page. In 2012-13 his yards-per-attempt ratings were well above league average. They fall in a pretty close lockstep with sack percentage index (lower numbers are worse for that stat).

See, it turns out quarterbacks need to be protected. Who knew?

The niners were 29th in the league for QB protection in 2014, and fell to 31st (tied with the Browns) in the league in 2015. At least this year they bothered to draft a guard.

In 2013 they were 11th. That's quite a fall between 2011 and 2013!

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 4, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

8.11 Kamar Aiken
It's probably going to take a while before we can be confident that Steve Smith, Sr. is WR1, or WR anything, in Baltimore. He's 37, coming off an Achilles injury, and has stated publicly that not only is this his last season, his only reason to still be playing is to get to 1000 receptions... and he has 961, so maybe he catches 40 balls and then checks out? So Aiken has WR1 upside, and at worst is one of the better WR2s still on the board. My only other issue here is that Aiken is on bye week 8, same as my WR1, so I'll need to be careful about my next WR pick.

I thought about TE in this spot too, but I think the big names are off the board and there's a ton of TE value still to be had in the next three to five rounds.

9.2 Markus Wheaton
gently caress, another week 8 bye? But Wheaton is a good WR who is probably secure as the #2 in Pittsburgh. Given how much attention Brown draws, I think Wheaton gets open a lot. He has the talent and the upside potential, but boy am I going to hurt in week 8.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 5, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dang. I saw all the TEs left and figured a good one would still be there at the end of the 10th, but not if you guys all go on a TE run.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

10.11 Antonio Gates
Really needed a TE by now, so I filled out my autodraft list with the top five left and Gates fell to me. I had him above Ladarius Green, who got drafted a few spots ahead, so I feel like it's OK. The main knock against Gates is that he's old, but he didn't look too old to perform well last year and on balance I think he should be fine. Whatever, it's a tight end.

11.02 Vincent Jackson
V-Jax never quite turned into the big star he was supposed to be, did he? I think as a result people tend to dismiss him in fantasy. But in the 11th round, come on! OK he was injured and missed like six games last year. He's 33, which is not too old for WRs, more like the prime years. He's WR2 behind Mike Evans, who gets huge volume. The remaining WR options on the Bucs are decidedly underwhelming, and his sophomore year is a good bet for Jameis Winston to settle down and start really producing. All told I like Jackson's floor (uninjured) at probably 60 yards a game ish, and I like his ceiling (2012) of more like 85+. He had 1000 yards in 2014, how many WR2s left on the board have had 1k yard seasons, ever? Jackson has 8 1000+ yard seasons in 10 16-game years. Not too shabby.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's only round 11, man. There's still 13 more rounds to go!

...and you get pick #288. You get to decide who is bubble boy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

For this format you need to get familiar with the RB4 and WR5s of the league. And probably most of the starting QBs in the NFL will be owned.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I am in Portland on my way to wisconsin via montana, drafting using hastily thrown together lists on my kindle, and that's why I got mariota apparently.

Also lol did someone draft josh gordon?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Making draft picks from my cell phone on the wifi at the visitor's center in Cooke City, montana. Sprint has no service in this state as far as I can tell. :argh:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was gonna draft Hightower next. :argh:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So, I went on an 11-day vacation and driving trip, spending most of my time outside of cell phone/data coverage with only intermittent access to wifi. I had to draft using fairly long lists picked one to three rounds in advance, which forced me to hurredly make ranked lists of guys rather than target specific players.

Here's how that went:
pre:
12.11 	143. 	Slow & Low 	Mariota, Marcus TEN QB
13.02 	146. 	Slow & Low 	Doctson, Josh WAS WR
14.11 	167. 	Slow & Low 	Goff, Jared RAM QB
15.02 	170. 	Slow & Low 	Cameron, Jordan MIA TE
16.11 	191. 	Slow & Low 	Steelers, Pittsburgh PIT Def
17.02 	194. 	Slow & Low 	Ware, Spencer KCC RB
18.11 	215. 	Slow & Low 	Watson, Ben BAL TE
19.02 	218. 	Slow & Low 	Spiller, C.J. NOS RB
20.11 	239. 	Slow & Low 	Walsh, Blair MIN PK
21.02 	242. 	Slow & Low 	Santos, Cairo KCC PK
22.11 	263. 	Slow & Low 	Colts, Indianapolis IND Def
23.02 	266. 	Slow & Low 	Cruz, Victor NYG WR
In 12 I needed a second QB badly, since a run had started and all the top guys were taken. I wound up with Mariota. A sophomore QB that still has the starting job tends to show improvement, and I think he's in a position to do that. The concern is they run a run-first offense that finds success... if that happens, Mariota probably won't have a lot of big passing games.

In 13 I wanted either another QB or a high WR pick, so I had kind of a mix in there I think. I wound up with Doctson, who I also drafted in the first slow draft. It's not like I'm in love with this guy, but he seems like he's going to be a candidate for lots of targets from the get-go unless he sucks, and in the 13th round that's worth it.

Jared Goff is my QB3 and I'm OK with that as a gamble. The rams will probably not be great this year, he's a rookie, but he's definitely the starter and he's not known to be a garbage QB, which is mostly what's left at this point, so whatever. I was again listing more than one position in my autodraft list just trying to get good players, and I probably should have taken a better RB in this round instead of Goff.

Because, in round 13 and 14 several good TEs went off the board, and I was worried a bunch more would be gone before my end-of-round-16 pick came up, so I felt I had to take my second TE immediately. Jordan Cameron (not to be confused with Cameron Jordan) seems OK and Miami runs a pass-heavy offense so I think he'll get regular good numbers. And he's not the same bye week as my TE1, Antonio Gates.

By round 16, D/STs were starting to come off the board, and I decided going into this thing that I wanted at least one higher-end defense rather than being forced to draft at least three lower-tier ones. So I pretty much just ranked the D/STs by 2015 points, which isn't the best way to go but I was doing this on my phone in the parking lot of the visitor's center in Cooke City, Montana before we drove into Yellowstone so I was in a hurry. The Steelers have a good D that I don't think was crippled in this offseason or anything, so OK.

I regret the Ware pick. I was feeling nervous about only having three RBs going into the 17th round. So like the D/Sts, I just listed a bunch of RBs well in advance, and Ware is the one I wound up with. I mean, he's a very good player I feel, but he's third on that depth chart and unlikely to see a lot of play unless guys get hurt. I'd rather own him if I also owned KCC's starting RBs, but I don't. I don't remember who else was still available at that point, but Tim Hightower was definitely still there and as I posted above, I wanted him and I had him on that list, but I guess just below Ware in priority. Oh well.

Ben Watson is just my "I guess I should have a third TE" pick. He plays and might bubble up into some points. The problem is he's a week 8 bye, and so is Jordan Cameron, so I hope Antonio Gates has a big game in Week 8. If he's hurt I'll wind up with a goose egg. As with the previous few rounds, I just didn't have time to pay attention to bye weeks and stuff when making this list.

I think CJ Spiller in the 19th round is a steal. OK, he's been hurt, and he's behind Ingram and maybe Hightower. But, he's a proven RB who has put up 1000+ yards for buffalo, he's capable of taking targets on passing downs, and even if the Saints decide they don't need him and dump him for cap space, I think he winds up somewhere as a playable body. Remember how many RBs got hurt last year? Spiller is the kind of guy who you definitely want as a backup if your star gets hurt, because while he's not an overwhelming player, you can at least count on him as a veteran reliable RB. In six years of play, he's lost a grand total of eight fumbles, while scoring 19 touchdowns (running + passing) plus two more on KO/Punt returns. Which reminds me, he's a veteran return man, and special teams is another reason he stays rostered and active.

I'm not saying Spiller is definitely going to earn me points this year, but he's my RB5. The biggest problem I have is that he's a week 5 bye, and oh poo poo, I already have two other week 5 RBs. gently caress.

You bastards started a deep run on kickers at this point and I also noticed how few rounds were left, so I just ranked up all the kickers by 2015 points and took two in a row at the 20/21 turn. I was just back from vacation at this point so I had a little more time to spare, and a proper computer to use, so I was able to make sure I didn't get two kickers with the same bye week.

I then needed another D/ST, so I grabbed the Colts. There's not very many left. I assume they'll have two or three good games maybe? At least they should provide a reliable floor.

Round 23 was a pure "best guy left in any position" draft. I'm sort of surprised Cruz is still here. I have a lot of WRs, so he's my 8th pick, and he's my fourth WR with a bye week of week 8, so maybe I shouldn't have grabbed him. But he should play in most of the Giants' three-wide sets and the Giants I am thinking will have a big year offensively. Sterling Shepard is a rookie, so on three wides if we see ODB (who I own) and Cruz as the veterans and Shepard as the rookie, I think there's a decent chance that Shepard winds up needing development and Eli winds up throwing mostly to his two veterans. Maybe Shepard is a superstar and he steals targets from Cruz, I dunno. But the next guys down are... Dwayne Harris? Myles White? Some other guys some of whom won't make the final roster? I figure Cruz is gonna have a good shot at one or two games with 2+ TDs this year, and that's all you can hope for in round 23.

I've got one pick left, the second-to-last one, and I'm not anticipating a lot of value left there. But looking at my roster, I don't see any glaring holes, either, so I'm pretty happy with being able to take almost anyone that tickles my fancy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

24.11 287. Slow & Low Robinson, Khiry NYJ RB

My plan had been to take one of: a third D, a third kicker, or "whoever was still remaining", or possibly a real outside gamble pick. Unfortunately, I hosed up and three of my five RBs have week 5 byes. Similarly, two of my three TEs have week 8 byes. So, in the end I decided I had better grab a fill-in at TE or RB.

I flirted with drafting a fullback, because I love me some fullbacks, but then I noticed Khiry was still available. OK, technically he's RB3 for the Jets, behind Matt Forte and Bilal Powell, and he's got a broken leg. But I'll just quote Rotoworld:

quote:

ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini speculates Khiry Robinson could be the short-yardage and goal-line back.
Still recovering from a broken leg, Robinson will need to get healthy first, but there is no reason he cannot push for a role. Matt Forte has not been an effective short-yardage back throughout his career, and Bilal Powell does not fit the profile of a power back either. Robinson has converted 7-of-13 career attempts inside the 10 into touchdowns, a rate which is well above league average. It would not be surprising if he won the short-yardage job in camp.

OK, that sounds decent to me. If Forte or Powell get hurt, Robinson is probably a lock for significant gametime, plus he may have the odd week (hopefully week 5!) where he grabs a couple TDs. For the end of round 24, that's good enough.

If I'd managed my draft a bit differently, I was strongly considering Anquan Boldin, who is currently a free agent but I feel almost certain to land a playing job on some team or another by the end of the preseason. He's too good not to play. But I already have 8 WRs and just can't possibly justify a ninth, not when I'm a little short at four other positions.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dabgummit.

Khiry Robinson just got placed on PUP. And, Anquan Boldin signed a one-year deal with the Lions.

Anyone else think that's a great spot for him? I think there's a good chance he's the top-scoring unowned WR in this league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have 3 guys on IR, two guys Out, and a free agent, and Jared Goff. I was feeling pretty sorry for myself but yeesh.

e. Also I love it that TAQs most infamous constant roster shuffler 89 is leading the league in a draft-once-and-forget-it format.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 22, 2016

• Locked thread