Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
actually spacemacs

on windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

cool

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'm not sure about this helm-projectile thing yet. it has better defaults than vim's ctrlp I GUESS but it seems kind of really bad at like... tracking files? :crossarms:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

thx for the feedback, my text editor choice is very important to me

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'm not sure about this helm-projectile thing yet. it has better defaults than vim's ctrlp I GUESS but it seems kind of really bad at like... tracking files? :crossarms:

you might be doing something wrong because in my experience helm+projectile works way better ootb than both ctrlp and unity.

unlike vim, emacs can do threads so the entire application doesn't freeze while it populates your file list. it also doesn't freeze for seconds while it syntax highlights a 10 kloc file.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
NOOOOOOoooooo

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

emacsupremacy

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Symbolic Butt posted:

actually spacemacs

on windows

isn't spacemacs just emacs but with hipster "vim" key bindings?

why the gently caress is that even a thing?

modal editing is a blight, only marginally acceptable when no full-screen interactive editor is available.

if you want a better emacs, edit your files using Zmacs via NFS from Open Genera

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

spacemacs comes with a holy mode that uses traditional emacs key bindings

i use holy mode and it's fine

spacemacs is basically emacs but w/ batteries included and 'configuration layers' that a bunch of sperges crowdsource so you dont have to dick around for hours trying to set up an environment for a proglang

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

what's emacs?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

a lovely operating system used by people who think the last 40 years never happened

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
no dont

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i'm real bad at setting up my vim. spacemacs sounds good to me. i will try it.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

dick around for hours trying to set up an environment for a proglang

here u go btw

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I love to janitor my .emacs.d

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

that's cool op. write some lisp, it's good for you.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

jony neuemonic posted:

that's cool op. write some lisp, it's good for you.

except emacs lisp is awful

use Hemlock and write major & minor modes for whatever you need in Common Lisp

or help Robert Strandh with Climacs, his CLIM-based replacement for Zmacs

(confession: not solely a comedy suggestion, I actually use Hemlock in the form of the Clozure Common Lisp IDE on the Mac for working with Lisp, and find it p. nice)

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i never said to write emacs lisp. :eng101:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
my favorite part of emacs is when i update packages and something in my hay bale of config is now broken and there's nothing to go on besides some weird message in the startup log

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

leftist heap posted:

my favorite part of emacs is when i update packages and something in my hay bale of config is now broken and there's nothing to go on besides some weird message in the startup log

hell yeah that's like a free afternoon off any real work.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

nano 4 lyfe

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
while i am a vim user i have great respect for emacs users and believe we should be united against our common enemy, the morons that use lovely shareware text editors

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

???!!?!?!???,??

Only registered members can see post attachments!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Tiny Bug Child posted:

while i am a vim user i have great respect for emacs users and believe we should be united against our common enemy, the morons that use lovely shareware text editors

yeah death to sublime users imo

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i use gedit and sometimes kate when i need to do column editing

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i know theres better stuff out there but it is hard to find the time to learn when these are needsuiting enough for me really

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I use iMacs

also macvim

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Corla Plankun posted:

i know theres better stuff out there but it is hard to find the time to learn when these are needsuiting enough for me really

haha, loser

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
vim is better

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

online friend posted:

vim is hipster trash

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

actually you will find that vim is v. nice

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

vim is actually a recursive acronym for "vim is Magical"

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

so OP, i installed this, and, uh, what benefits do i get from using this instead of vim.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tbqh if you sort of want vanilla editing them vim spanks emacs (mostly due to it being proud emacs tradition that every default be set to the worst possible setting, and customization should be hard so that people learn elisp, etc., spacemacs may be fixing this), if you ever find yourself actually wanting to extent your editor for some thing you are doing you do have a far better toolbox in emacs than just about anything else

so, yes, if you want to cj your editor

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

have any of you considered just hiring devs so they have to worry about bullshit like this and you can focus on making money

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

GameCube posted:

so OP, i installed this, and, uh, what benefits do i get from using this instead of vim.

you can switch away from awful 1970s modal editing any time you want

try that in vi

foxy boxing babe
Jan 17, 2010

notepad++ bithc

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

GameCube posted:

well my reason is that vim on cygwin was pissing me off. stuff like ctrl+6 just stopped working for no apparent reason (and I didn' t even update)

I use the exact same vimrc and on windows it was loving up word movements oh man gently caress that

so that's why I decided to give spacemacs another chance and it's been mostly alright

I plan to keep using vim on linux but for now I've been using spacemacs on linux just to help me get used to it faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
bloody told me to use gvim and... this is something that I didn't even consider because I totally forgot gvim was a thing. but it's probably the most logical thing and I should've tried it before spacemacs welp

• Locked thread