Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

you might be doing something wrong because in my experience helm+projectile works way better ootb than both ctrlp and unity.

unlike vim, emacs can do threads so the entire application doesn't freeze while it populates your file list. it also doesn't freeze for seconds while it syntax highlights a 10 kloc file.

idk if I delete a file or rename it, helm+projectile still lists it and this is ruining my mojo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
one thing that I'm seriously missing is persistent undo

I put this on my dotfile

code:
if exists('+undofile')
    set undofile
    set undodir=~/temp
endif
and bam, persistent undo is good and fine.

emacs doesn't seem able to do this without corrupting files or some ridiculous poo poo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Symbolic Butt posted:

bloody told me to use gvim and... this is something that I didn't even consider because I totally forgot gvim was a thing. but it's probably the most logical thing and I should've tried it before spacemacs welp

for a graphical editor, gvim's interface with the gui is terrible.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

tbqh if you sort of want vanilla editing them vim spanks emacs (mostly due to it being proud emacs tradition that every default be set to the worst possible setting, and customization should be hard so that people learn elisp, etc., spacemacs may be fixing this), if you ever find yourself actually wanting to extent your editor for some thing you are doing you do have a far better toolbox in emacs than just about anything else

so, yes, if you want to cj your editor

it's insane how much emacs and emacs packages have utterly insane defaults. the explanation the helm dev has for tab doing something utterly stupid is crazy

Please remember that, when you use Helm, you never TAB to complete prefixes like vanilla or other packages like Ido and its related packages. In Helm, when you type something, candidates get updated automatically. In vanilla Emacs, you have to TAB to get a/ list of candidate. This is a great feature from Helm, not a miss of feature. You have to forget the mentally of TABBING to get candidates. If you want quick completion of search patterns in Helm prompt, you always have hippie-expand to replace the TAB behaviour, as introduced at the beginning of this section. This is the biggest confusion for new people switching to Helm. When you are used to Helm, you will love it.

except you still want to use tab to complete a selection, especially using helm to browse files and absolutely everybody everywhere expects tab to complete, not enter some sort of hosed up menu that nobody uses. first thing anybody using helm does is rebind that poo poo.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Symbolic Butt posted:

idk if I delete a file or rename it, helm+projectile still lists it and this is ruining my mojo

It's not just you. It frequently doesn't reflect current reality. And also I thought emacs was notoriously not able to use multiple threads?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

give back the op's ctrl+6

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Symbolic Butt posted:

bloody told me to use gvim and... this is something that I didn't even consider because I totally forgot gvim was a thing. but it's probably the most logical thing and I should've tried it before spacemacs welp

oh. cygwin. lol. cygwin is neat but it's slow as balls for me

on windows the correct answer is to find a decent IDE plugin

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Anyone using Hyperbole next to org? I've skimmed the manual, seems it adds a bunch of functions, while replicating others. Not sure if it's worth delving deeper, still feel like I haven't mastered org completely.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ive been looking for a decent way to do xamarin development on os x because xamarin studio is Dog poo poo Garbage, i googled "emacs xamarin" and all i found was some F# poo poo. that's emacs users for you

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

it's true, emacs users have great taste.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

serious suggestion though maybe try visual studio code?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

suuuucks

all I want is autocomplete/intellisense + good vi keybindings and i spent like two days trying to get a bunch of vim plugins working before I said gently caress it and went back to using my windows laptop w/ visual studio + viemu. literally the only reason I want my macbook to be usable for dev is because it's lighter than my dell

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
spacemacs is great. i just started using its magit layer instead of command line git and that's really good too.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

an elegant computer, for a more civilized qge

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

an elegant computer, for a more civilized qge

it was a POS

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
PC LAB SUPREMACY

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

emac: the educational macintosh

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

leftist heap posted:

I love to janitor my .emacs.d

every time I decide to bite the bullet and learn emacs for clojure dev I wind up dicking around and then find myself twenty minutes into trying to figure out why the emacs package manager isn't working and

jony neuemonic posted:

serious suggestion though maybe try visual studio code?

Config files are JSON (and not lisp). it provides reasonable defaults you can override on a per-project basis.
There's auto complete on those options. So far so good.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 27, 2016

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Smythe posted:

it was a POS

:agreed:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

middle school imacs running mac os 8 or whatever were complete garbage

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the aesthetic of the emac owned

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

wish you tried ctrl-alt-del mode before posting

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

GameCube posted:

suuuucks

all I want is autocomplete/intellisense + good vi keybindings and i spent like two days trying to get a bunch of vim plugins working before I said gently caress it and went back to using my windows laptop w/ visual studio + viemu. literally the only reason I want my macbook to be usable for dev is because it's lighter than my dell

every vim plugin or whatever is always subtly different from actual vim and useless as a result

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

every vim plugin or whatever is always subtly different from actual vim and useless as a result

an epsilon away from useless is still useless, yeah

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bloody posted:

Not evil/spacemacs*

*except for when you enter some old rear end mode accidentally that does't respect the vim override. but you just C-x k outta there right away so it doesn't matter

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

triple sulk posted:

the aesthetic of the emac owned

have i got a tumblr for you ! http://y2kaestheticinstitute.tumblr.com/

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

what's the best windows emacs, anyway.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

GameCube posted:

notepad++

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

reported. enjoy your ban, fucko.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

GameCube posted:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/emacsbinw64/

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
the official releases are fine these days on winders

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i was an Apple Boy the last time i used emacs and i remembered xemacs being a thing. but i guess that wouldn't be windows, would it. L.O.L..

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

xemacs is no longer a thing; lucid is dead and jwz now sells overpriced drinks

i still haven't quite recovered having to discard my xemacs-specific config

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

xemacs is no longer a thing; lucid is dead and jwz now sells overpriced drinks

i still haven't quite recovered having to discard my xemacs-specific config

and the saddest thing is that lemacs is still nicer than GNU emacs

I'm eager to get my lispm up and running so I can use Zmacs with a Symbolics keyboard

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I use Strongbad's fork, sbemacs.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

here i go once again with the emacs. once again i hope that it's from a femacs.

CHANGELOG
=========
v1.0 - Initial release.
v1.1 - [YOS-001] Fixed incorrect pronoun.

GameCube fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 29, 2016

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

emacs overwhelms the poo poo outta me in comparison to vim/tmux. I'm struggling to not be a fuckin rube on a notepad editor anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Julie And Candy posted:

notepad++ bithc

yeah

• Locked thread