Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
emacs doesn't seem to work so good in OS X. maybe I should try spacemacs and merge my Configs into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Phobeste posted:

emacs doesn't seem to work so good in OS X. maybe I should try spacemacs and merge my Configs into it

nothing works good in OS X

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

power botton posted:

nothing works good in OS X

you might even say it's Dog poo poo Garbage

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Phobeste posted:

it works fine

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

GameCube posted:

you might even say it's Dog poo poo Garbage

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I murdered out my .vimrc as a result of this thread, thanks OP!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i decided to start fresh with my .vimrc on my new computer and now it's bad. it doesn't even do syntax highlighting until i hit :syntax on. i need to work on my .vimrc... it's embarrassing.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

leftist heap posted:

it works fine

doesn't have 24... tramp is critically broken... not great op

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

IIRC, xemacs is cool because jwz likes it and rms does not.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

GameCube posted:

reported. enjoy your ban, fucko.

foxy boxing babe
Jan 17, 2010

emoji posted:

I use Strongbad's fork, sbemacs.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
OP:

I could care less

That is all

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

OP:

I could care less

That is all

omg... :troll: mods?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

checked the post count... i think that guy really doesn't care that the OP is using emacs now :pwn:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

im trying spacemacs again
how do I open a tree of files on the left as a project or whatever

it says press 'p' but then it says 'p is undefined'
then I reopened it and the help went away :?:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

my stepdads beer posted:

I don't know spacemacs but this works

https://github.com/jaypei/emacs-neotree

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Phobeste posted:

never used a mac beyond struggling to queue stuff in spotify at some parties, but i am pretty sure aquamacs remains a very good port

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

my stepdads beer posted:

space, p, t, ret
if it saya p is undefined, something is broken

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

space, p, t, ret
if it saya p is undefined, something is broken

yeah, this is the weird thing about spacemacs, in some installations poo poo just doesn't work... for some reason?

I complained about spacemacs not getting the 'f' vim command right but everyone said like "worksforme". then I reinstalled and it just worked :shrug:

Symbolic Butt fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 29, 2016

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

GameCube posted:

i was an Apple Boy the last time i used emacs and i remembered xemacs being a thing. but i guess that wouldn't be windows, would it. L.O.L..

for Windows, you could always get Cygwin builds of Emacs as well as the official (Win32) builds, but then the Cygwin builds would want an X server, but some awesome person made an XEmacs build of Cygwin that still used a standard Win32 GUI, so you got the benefits of being inside Cygwin's virtual filesystem without having to use an X server

of course simply not using Windows is way better and I didn't even know XEmacs was dead :v:

so should I learn helm+projectile?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

GameCube posted:

i decided to start fresh with my .vimrc on my new computer and now it's bad. it doesn't even do syntax highlighting until i hit :syntax on. i need to work on my .vimrc... it's embarrassing.

sad!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

GameCube posted:

checked the post count... i think that guy really doesn't care that the OP is using emacs now :pwn:

:(

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Buttcoin purse posted:

for Windows, you could always get Cygwin builds of Emacs as well as the official (Win32) builds, but then the Cygwin builds would want an X server, but some awesome person made an XEmacs build of Cygwin that still used a standard Win32 GUI, so you got the benefits of being inside Cygwin's virtual filesystem without having to use an X server

of course simply not using Windows is way better and I didn't even know XEmacs was dead :v:

so should I learn helm+projectile?

you should try spacemacs imo, it comes with help+projectile and all the other poo poo

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

my .vimrc is a mess.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

xemacs is no longer a thing; lucid is dead and jwz now sells overpriced drinks
Sure i'd like to semi-retire with my Netscape money and just do whatever.

I wonder how much the staff of DNA Lounge would even recognize Xscreensaver.

eschaton posted:

and the saddest thing is that lemacs is still nicer than GNU emacs

I'm eager to get my lispm up and running so I can use Zmacs with a Symbolics keyboard

HYPER GREEK

lisp machines, 15 years ahead of their time, 35 years ago.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

mike12345 posted:

I don't know spacemacs but this works

https://github.com/jaypei/emacs-neotree

Last time I used it a few months ago it sux0red and required closing and reopening multiple times to reflect the current state if you added/renamed files.

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
I switched from Prelude to spacemacs and now everything Just Works.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i cant really do any file stuff from emacs or vim. i just have a terminal split in tmux below my editor and do all of my file moving with that.

i do know how to move a file because thats a pain if you do it from the command line and then accidentally save the buffer and then realize that you've been editing both and that's why things have been weird for the last 10 minutes

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

The Sweetling posted:

I switched from Prelude to spacemacs and now everything Just Works.

lol, you can't have been using it for long then

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

emoji posted:

Last time I used it a few months ago it sux0red and required closing and reopening multiple times to reflect the current state if you added/renamed files.

Yeah that's possible. I thought it was neat, but quickly forgot about it, because all the files I work on are open anyways and why bother. helm is fast/convenient enough for file navigation, in my case.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
I use pentadactyl. Should I switch to firemacs?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I have no idea what that is man

I only know spacemacs

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Jeesis posted:

actually you should switch to vimfx because it isn't loving slow as balls. the default keymap sucks but five minutes of fuckery will fix it

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Jeesis posted:

what is that

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

what is that

keyboard-driven web browsing fuckin owns. i set vimfx to only use keys on the left side of the keyboard, so i can surf with one hand and vape with the other, like a boss.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

aaaaaagh

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Phobeste posted:

brew install emacs --with-cocoa
brew linkapps emacs

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

GameCube posted:

keyboard-driven web browsing fuckin owns. i set vimfx to only use keys on the left side of the keyboard, so i can surf with one hand and vape with the other, like a boss.

"vape"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

https://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2016/06/27/an-emacs-meme-generator/

• Locked thread