Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Forgall posted:

Can a book be a bootleg? Like if somebody publishes and prints their fanfic without permission from original property owners? Because I've read this bizarre book as a kid, that was basically Demolition Man with Stallone replaced with ninja turtles, and I doubt it was officially licensed.

In several ways that I know of, yes. Between the 5 and 6th Harry Potter books several Chinese bootlegs occurred, one of which was called something like "Harry Potter and the Walk-Up Leopard" and was the text of the Hobbit with Bilbo and co ctrl-f'ed with Harry and pals.

Also, there have been several sequels to Gone With The Wind of varying legality. The two proper sequels, authorized by Margret Mitchell's estate, range in quality from absolutely weird and terrible ("Scarlett", which is very bad but remains a guilty pleasure of mine) and "Rhett Butler's People", which is actually a p good book and really expands on him as a character (but also destroys it in a way), all things considered, but was so overshadowed by the trainwreck that was "Scarlett" that it was downplayed significantly when it came out. They also made a mini-series out of "Scarlett" which was somehow even worse than the book.

However, here's where it gets tricky. Around 2000 a book called "The Wind Done Gone" was published. It was the journal of Scarlett's illegitimate half sister that her father had with Mammy. It was released around the time that it came out that Jefferson had children with Sally Hemmings so it was a big ticket issue. Mitchell's estate contested it and tried to have it suppressed because I guess it besmirched the good name of fictional slaveholders from 150 years ago. I read it and it was okay I guess, nothing amazing, it was really more that it was a new item than anything else.

Furthermore, there is a sequel that is only legally available in Australia called "The Winds of Tara" due to to copyright laws. I haven't read it, but the fact that it's illegal to sell outside of Australia makes it contraband, which I think is bootleg territory. I can't really say anything more about it.

Anyway, on a different note, where Elmo is going Elmo doesn't need eyes to see-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

My husband and I went to go see the Last Jedi Friday and he told me it was hard to keep track of how all the characters connected to each other (watching Game of Thrones is a loving nightmare with him btw) and I started to explain about all the stupid EU books I read back in junior high and I tried to explain Dark Saber, where this classic image is from, but words can't really capture how loving stupid these books are. Like, the part in Dark Saber where Han and Leia visit the Hutt planet and are segregated into the inferior human pool that's nice water and the Hutts have the swamp water pool during negotiations and C-3PO is there and it's all very weird.

So sick of all these Star Wars. So many lives so stupidly lost.

So stupidly entertaining I reread them from time to time. I never finished Crime and Punishment, but I read The Courtship of Princess Leia twice and The Crystal Star probably three times.

e-Speaking of stupid names, there's Qwi Xux, the feather headed blue woman who designed the Death Star.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Related content while shopping? Life Day done come early!

I'm so sick of all these space wars!

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Hard to read, but this car joyously proclaims "Optimal Marry! Happy Time!" I couldn't get that great of a pic cause the light was bad and my son was also trying to shove a monster truck toy into my hands because why would I take a picture of some lame regular car when there was a monster truck.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

no that isn't jpeg artifacting of the photo, it's jpeg artifacting on the shirt, because they blew up the image to fill the shirt :allears:

That is screwing with my head. I look at the background, normal sofa, the shirt, artifacting. My brain can't decide what quality of picture this is.