Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

EorayMel posted:

W A

L U I G I

I would love this unironically. Waa!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Same.

It's just so...bizarre. Like, I get it, but I don't get it. Getting a peek under the hood would be super neat.

Also when that bubble pops, it's gonna pop hard. We'll be subjected to a litany of darksydephils crying into cameras at their grandmothers' kitchen tables about how Youtube totally hosed them and how it wasn't their fault for putting all their eggs into a basket that very clearly was going to disappear suddenly one day.

The hell would you put on your resume, or say in an interview? "Online content producer?"

"Oh, so you're one of those kids that thought they'd be like pewdiepie, huh? What kind of content did you create?"

"I made garbage videos in an attempt to trick kids into clicking on them, and to send to click farms to earn ad revenue I wasn't entitled to."

*visibly feeds resume to shredder*

"We'll be in touch if we need your services."

Also, as noted by another poster, the tax consequences are severe, and the people producing these won't realize it until they file their first return. They're definitely self-employed (or "independent contractors"), so by default, no withholding comes out of their checks. So they'll march down to the tax preparer with their 1099-MISCs in hand, grinning at how much money they made that year, not realizing that anywhere from 25 to 50 percent of that income should've been held back for (or sent quarterly to) the IRS. :downs:

I'll probably never stop being :allears: hearing about the absolute con job that is youtube's funmoney revenue industry, and how everyone in advertising assures me it definitely makes sense, and then proceeds to explain it in terms that only cement for me that every single level of it, on either side of the money exchange, is literally making everything up as they go along. Even more so I love when the holes in the web of lies get big enough they can't be ignored and everyone acts like it's some new, shocking twist, and not a flaw that was clearly visible from day one.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I had to double take at the package back because for a second I thought the Space Warriors were holding hands.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

EorayMel posted:

Most of the views from channels like these are about 1:1:8 young children-curious adults- bot farms set up to click the video a hundred thousand times each. All for those sweet sweet youtube bucks for high view counts.

At least, that is my hypothesis. There are plenty of other theories floating around but it's a classic case of justice is blind.

Everything about how youtube's money works is such a ridiculous shell game, only it's now to the point where you can't tell which side of the table the conman is standing on, they just keep moving the shells, going back and forth over imaginary money.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Snowy posted:

Whaaaaat? That's too weird.

The best ones are the ones where the big titty naked girls you're making pictures of suddenly switch to weird gross monsters with no warning to you mid-wank, and next think you know you have a new fetish.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

You can usually find them dirt cheap on Aliexpress as well.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I want all of those

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

It's pretty common to find that imperial mold godzilla in general rubber dinosaur bins wherever actually.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

And apparently the answer is: someone is making them!

Not very good though.

I got my mom one for xmas last year! (She loves dumb lawn junk)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Pro click right there

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's weirding me out that Slenderman is a part of the ripoff costume game alongside Mario, Aladdin and Harry Potter

Yeah, I saw that and found myself wondering is Slendy actually copyrighted even?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

looking it up, that Coolbaby is apparently one of the best chinese knockoffs of the NES Classic where they just cram a multi-cart into it. It's stable, and the controls work well, and there are a LOT of games on there, with a far higher than usual ratio of official games to romhacks and bootlegs.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Johnny Aztec posted:

All wizards look the same anyway

https://youtu.be/29WntrtNaSs

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Ghana's film poster business, and Nollywood's actual filmmaking business are too good for this world. Too good by far.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Robo Vampire is a cinematic treasure.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Sometimes I see things like this and I think they just have to be a good 'shop. Like, why would they copy the logo and then change the letters? It's not like they care about copyright anyways...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Grassy Knowles posted:

As a hot sauce enthusiast, almost all of the ones that claim anything about your rear end are mild as hell.

Even the attached comic strip suggests that the spice really isn't affecting your tongue very much.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Slime posted:

I find american hot sauce is just hot and not actually very tasty, while asian hot sauce is both hot as gently caress and delicious.

Depends on the kind of hot sauce. Like, Cajun hot sauce has a lot of flavor, but the regular stuff yeah, is all about heat.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

That Snowlaf font looks like it belongs on an ice-themed horror movie cover instead of a whimsical kids character.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Sir Lemming posted:

Surely you meant to post this in the Stupid Lifehack thread? It's a good one.

the tweet is responding to one saying "No taco shells? Just use tortillas!"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Rough Lobster posted:

Star Wars has a Dexter Jettster, but to be honest using SW for bad character names is almost cheating.

https://youtu.be/lbLqiKg9JkA

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Randaconda posted:

Yeah, sent it to Harvey Weinstein in regards to cutting the proper release of Princess Mononoke, I believe.

Which I believe was the first ghibli movie he let American distributors try to release since the mangling of Nausicaa above.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

This all only makes the statue better.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I seriously need to see what these games play like, even if it's only sadness and shame.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

the fact that they look like they're fighting games instead of the usual GTA hack makes me wonder however...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Elkyrie posted:

Never thought I'd see a Sims/Dangan Ronpa/Ever After High crossover but here we are... thanks bootlegs. Thootlegs.

Also wondering what this would play like.

it's almost definitely Sims with sprite hacks to make the characters match the other properties.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I'm quite impressed with the attention to detail. That's a lot of rear end. :tutbutt:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I love the smiley face on Human Torch. :unsmith:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I follow OB on facebook, and I saw those figures like an hour after he posted them...Token Girl was still available for purchase at the time.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Takoluka posted:

The unofficial Final Fantasy VII strategy guide was fantastic, if only because it gave you the strategy for fighting the boss following Aerith's death in vague terms without referencing the event itself, whereas Square's official guide gave you a full-page spread of clips of the death cutscene on the right-side page with absolutely no warning. It also includes a random debug enemy that was only in the JP version of the game, which opened up a whole new realm of speculation back in the day.

Haha I had that guide too. Some other issues with it were that it didn't have any information on the Man in Kalm that you could trade the items from the Weapon fights to for stuff you probably didn't need if you could already beat the Weapons, and then that treasure map you only got from morphing a specific enemy in the underwater reactor that when you gave it to him he gave you the materia that took away the time limit fighting emerald.

I also had This Gem which is an awful, awful guide. The author hand draws all the illustrations (quite poorly) instead of taking screen shots, she constantly interjects personal opinion and unfunny jokes, and often she just plain is wrong about a lot of the facts of the game due to using a Japanese copy. Also, it spoils a ton of the plot. It might be the worst guide I've ever seen.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The MSJ posted:

I'm not sure if this is a bootleg, but it's on Aliexpress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5LWPrIrpnc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FDKFoXPE6k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NALxq9_Qllg

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Star wars?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

You could do worse in Chinese plug and play NES clones than Coolbaby to be honest. They're on the higher end of quality for that kind of cheap crap.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The MSJ posted:

Are they like the Wei Jiang of fake console makers?

I'm not a transformers guy so I can't say for sure. But like, on the cheaper end of clone and emulator retro game systems, they're a decent brand. Retro-Bit is also a good cheap brand with several interesting systems out there (I have their 3-in-1 HD which runs NES, SNES, and Genesis cartridges, but there's also a new thing they have called a Supercade that is an emulator based system that plays all of those in rom form and arcade/mame type roms as well.) There's plenty of expensive brands out there too that basically end up being the video game equivalent of audiophiles buying high end stereos with like, 800 dials on them.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

My eleven year old son thinks they're cool puzzles, and has about the same skill level as me with them (that is, none at all)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, in the 80s, Rubik came out with a crapton of different puzzles.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I never get tired of those bootleg video game handhelds. With the cheapness of technology now, I wouldn't be surprised if either of them were packing one of those "999-in-1" Nes bootleg carts inside them. Once upon a time you'd get a label like that and it'd just be LCD tetris. Technology marches forward I guess, I'm even seeing pricier ones with 16-bit level shovelware and pirated stuff loaded on them lately.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I'm cut off diplopod

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

Just realized that the guy who ran (runs?) I-Mockery has to be feeling either super ripped off or entirely vindicated by the pickle craze.

He still runs it but has been quiet for a while due to personal tragedy. I don't want to bring the thread down, so you can either go to the site itself and read his recent explanation or bum yourself out with my spoiler text.
His wife who regularly appeared on the site killed herself late last year. He's been traveling and spreading bits of her ashes around the world and trying to cope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Luigi hanging dong I see